main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    What specifically do you want help with? Might make it easier to answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. StarWarsTrueSqueals

StarWarsTrueSqueals Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2020
    I'm not sure how to start it off those were intros to the story. I got the concepts but I'm not sure. If someone that knows more about Star Wars. If you guys could fix the intro but have the same theme to them?

pronker likes this.
  3. Ihsan997

Ihsan997 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 7, 2021
    I have a request for help searching this forum, as I’m new and want to check if a thread exists on a certain topic.

Is there any existing discussion on the most common tropes in Star Wars fanfiction? No judgment here, as I’m not speaking for or against the use of tropes. I’m simply wondering if there’s a thread in which users list the most common tropes based on their general reading of fanfics within the fandom. I’m not new to SW, but I’m definitely new to SW fanfiction, and while I’m happily reading through various different stories, I simply don’t have the experience to recognize the wired, the tired, and the expired among various themes in these stories.

If I want to run a search, which sub-forum should I go to? And what would the best key search terms be?

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I would say we discuss that in this thread or the The Scribble Pad (Fanfic Writing Discussions) thread. But there could be threads I have missed.

Ihsan997 likes this.
  5. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I don't think there are common tropes in SW fanfiction per se but there are general tropes used in fiction and other media which are used in SW and probably knowingly or unknowingly by fanfic writers. There's an entire site dedicated to this topic: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Franchise/StarWars under tropes.

Although I agree with @Gamiel that this should absolutely be a discussion.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    pronker and Ihsan997 like this.
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Language question for a possibility to make someone's speech pattern unusual, a Basic dialect/creole that don't have he or she but use singular they for both of them, how would the dialect/creole do when it want to point out that it's plural they that is meant when need to?

7. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    First off, welcome to the boards! Please make sure to take a look at the New Users Guide and make sure to read the start of threads before posting as they each have their own uses. It sounds like you are asking someone to write the story for you rather than write it yourself? This is a thread for more general writing advice so if you wanted to ask questions about writing an intro, this would be the right place! If you are looking for someone to write a story based on your ideas, check out the Plot Bunny Donation Thread.

And if you have any questions, please feel free to PM me or any of the other fanfic mods, we're happy to help!

Tarsier likes this.
  8. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    @Ihsan997 Hello and welcome to the boards! In addition to the forum's search function (top right, just under your user name/notifications), there's the Fanfic Resource Index that is pinned at the top of the Resource board. I used to run that before dropping off the face of the Earth so it's a bit out of date now but it's still useful to find older threads. I didn't see any specific discussion about SW tropes there, although there is an old, old thread about tropes in general. I still haven't given up hope that Darth Real Life will give me a break and the time to update it properly.

9. Ihsan997

Ihsan997 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 7, 2021
    There are actually languages without gendered pronouns in huge swaths of the Asia-Pacific region, and you might be able to seek out examples in those languages. They’ll all have different rules, of course, but you could draw for inspiration from a few.

If I understood your request correctly, you seem to be looking for a pronoun which contains no gender (they), and your concern is that such a pronoun could cause count confusion. The way I see it, you have two options.

The first is that this language doesn’t have a separate pronoun for singular and plural, so the listener can only understand the speaker based on context. We’re actually using such a language right now: in English, we only have one word for ‘you’ without a difference between singular and plural. This word is used every single day by all of us, countless times, and yet none of us find it confusing. This language you’re thinking of could simply do with the third person pronoun what English does for the second person pronoun.

The second is that this language you’re thinking of could simply use the word ‘it’ for all individual persons and ‘they’ for all groups of people. This is like Bahasa, which is either the seventh or eighth most spoken language on earth depending on which list you’re reading. Their language has no gender in it, so everybody and everything is an ‘it,’ and every group of any entity at all is a ‘they.’

Note that in English, we already don’t have gender for the plural third person pronoun ‘they,’ whereas there are many languages which do. There are so many examples of real-world languages that you can find plenty of inspiration for grammar systems right here in real life.

To @gizkaspice and @Gamiel , should I start such a thread? I don’t want to clutter the board, but I’ve seen such fandom-specific threads on other forums, and they’re often helpful references.

pronker likes this.
  10. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Hi Ihsan! Welcome to the boards!!
    Sorry I missed your earlier question, but Chyntuck gave you some good advice on searching. You absolutely could start a thread on SW tropes! We had an old Literary Tropes thread, but it was from a long time ago and is full of broken links, so it's not very useful any more. If it's a discussion/resource thread, feel free to go ahead and start it. If you want to make it a writing challenge thread along with discussion, please PM us mods first.

And if you every have any questions, please feel free to reach out to any of the fanfic mods, we're happy to help!

11. PlanetSmasher

PlanetSmasher Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 14, 2017
    Here's the set up. A character in my story is driving on the express lanes and is exiting to the local traffic patterns. He's on the local roads heading to this building.

Now, what do you guys think?

"Directly ahead of him was the gargantuan edifice, The Citadel." or "Ahead of him was the gargantuan edifice, The Citadel."

Is there any difference? Does adding "Directly" add any emphasis or meaning, or is it just a fluff word that must be removed?

pronker and ZV-83 like this.
  12. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    It definitely makes a difference. Without "directly", the sentence is just a random, almost boring, sentence. With "directly", you have a single sentence that is interesting enough to make someone want to read the rest of the story.

pronker, PlanetSmasher and ZV-83 like this.
  13. ZV-83

ZV-83 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 7, 2020
    100% agree with @Cowgirl Jedi 1701 It makes the sentence stand out and interesting.

PlanetSmasher likes this.
  14. PlanetSmasher

PlanetSmasher Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 14, 2017
    Thanks, guys! I got the Hemingway Editor, which ZV-83 introduced me to, and it wants me to get rid of "Directly." In fact, it wants me to get rid of a lot words that end in ly, LOL

I guess as a writing took it does a good job of bringing your attention to sentences and word choices, but ultimately, the writer has to be the one to make the ultimate decision...

pronker likes this.
  15. ZV-83

ZV-83 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 7, 2020
    Yup! I use both Hemingway and Grammarly apps normally, but I often have to make a decision to ignore the suggestions :) (Edit: trying out prowritingaid app. So many options in it compared to the others mentioned...)

Question: what is the difference between Force immersion (how the Fallanassi hid) and how Palpatine hid (Force stealth)?

Looks like Force immersion is the same except that Force immersion can also hide an individual from sensors, not just hide a user's Force sensitivity. So someone who knows Force immersion could if they wanted to, just hide in plain sight like Palpatine, depending on how they used Force immersion. Is that correct?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    pronker likes this.
  16. Grievous2003

Grievous2003 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 31, 2019
    Hey there, so recently came up with another idea that I need help with:

In the canon during the Mortis arc, the Son bites Ahsoka and infects her with the Dark Side to turn her into an evil slave. When he's down with Ahsoka, the Son taps her forehead and (as I interpret it) the darkness that she was infected with consumes her life force. Then the Daughter transfers her remaining life force to Ahsoka to bring her back to life and back to normal. My idea is that the darkness that the Son infected Ahsoka with has not been expelled but is still inside of her and has merely been suppressed by the Daughter's life force. Ahsoka is fine for some for a while but over time the Dark Side reawakens and tries to take her over again. This darkness also has the Son's will and it could ultimately lead to his resurrection (kind of like the Karma from Boruto). Ahsoka is able to keep it a bay initially through meditation (which involves force visions of her fighting her dark side self). Eventually, the Dark Side becomes to much for her to block any more and begins to consume her.

Do you know of a way for the Anakin and the Jedi to expel the Son's darkness from Ahsoka? Are you aware of any instances in Star Wars lore where an exorcism like ritual was performed? The only thing I could thing of on my own was using Talzin and the Nightsisters to perform a ritual on Ahsoka. I base this on how when Talzin was restoring Maul she was literally remove the darkness from his mind. The only thing is I think the Jedi Council would be too cautious/proud to ask the Nightsisters for help since they are associated with the Dark Side. Granted, Anakin could defy the council and take Ahsoka there anyway. Unless there are any other ways to expel a dark side spirit from a person's body.

pronker likes this.
  17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    For a challenge entry, I was wondering what could be a surprise announcement that one person thinks is great and has to talk the other one around to liking? ;) I want to focus on Kyp paired with my original character as an OTP.

18. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    I was thinking of a 'new challenging assignment, gotta move there!' and the there doesn't appeal to Partner. For instance, San Francisco is lovely but cold ... Salt Lake City is historic but hot ... Elkhorn City NE is charming but small ... An option might be a long distance relationship, which one thinks is agreeable as an alternative but the other one does not.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  19. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I'm in the middle of my sequel trilogy reboot as well as a non-SW fic, but I've been thinking about loosely adapting Legacy of the Force as if it was Episodes VII-IX.

I'm thinking I would mesh the plots of Bloodlines and Tempest into Episode VII. We would see Jacen as a Jedi, but he becomes a Galactic Alliance colonel with Ben as his apprentice and the head of the GAG. We would also see Han team up with Boba and their respective family dramas, though Boba's would have less screen time. Lumiya would be a side-mentor, but has already revealed herself as a Sith. Her backstory would be the same, as would Mara's.
    Thrackan Sal-Solo's death and the revelation of Mirta Gev and of Ailyn Vel's death under Jacen's torture would take place 1/3 of the way through the film. Subsequently, we are introduced to Tenel Ka, Allana, and Hapes. Aurra Sing is still involved with an assassination attempt with Dur Gejjen behind it, but I would omit Alema Rar completely from the story and have Lumiya on her own. This would cut back on Jaina, Zekk, and Jag's screentime for now, but Jaina would still be a fairly big part of the story. Luke and Mara would face Lumiya and Jacen would turn against his parents.
    I would also have Chewbacca be alive and accompanying Han and Leia as they side with Corellia over the GA.

Episode VIII would open with Ben, Shevu, and Lekauf's mission to assassinate Gejjen, and with Jacen and Niathal's coup against Cal Omas. Mara would be suspicious of Jacen as in canon and would have her encounter with Lumiya. The plot device of Ship would be omitted. Ben would be afraid of the assassin he is becoming because of Jacen, and Mara will realize that Jacen and Lumiya are in league. Her manner of death would be the same as in canon, and Luke would kill Lumiya in revenge. Mara's funeral would be about 1/2 of the way through the film. Jaina, Jag, and Zekk would be focused on protecting the Jedi Academy on Ossus, but are not tracking Alema, who doesn't exist. Chewbacca would help Han and Leia on Kashyyyk rather than his son Waroo. The rest of the story would unfold as it did in Inferno, with Luke realizing how far Jacen has fallen, Tahiri becoming Caedus's new apprentice for the same motive, Tenel Ka turning against the Alliance, and Ben seeking to avenge his mother at any cost. Anakin Solo's death would still be a tragedy of the past. Boba Fett and Mirta would probably not feature here.

Episode IX would combine Revelation and Invincible. I would cut the subplot with Sintas Vel, but Jaina will still go to Fett for help in assassinating Caedus. I would better explain that Jaina's role here is that of an assassin, something the Jedi cannot train her in. Ben will still seek to prove that Jacen is behind Mara's death with Shevu's help, which Luke doesn't want to believe. Han and Leia are aware of Allana's parentage by now, though Fury is skipped. The battle of Fondor would be about 1/3-1/2 of the way through the film, with Niathal betraying Jacen. I would omit Daala and Pellaeon, though I would keep the Moff Council who will develop the nanoviruses against Boba Fett and Tenel Ka separately. Both battles between Caedus and Jaina would be the same, as would Shevu's death, Ben's redeeming of Tahiri, and the parting of ways between Fett and the heroes once Mirta is captured.

pronker and ZV-83 like this.
  20. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Where would a New Republic pilot live—on a military base or off in the surrounding city? The pilot in question is young, early 20s, not yet an officer. The story would be set around the time of TFA, but in my AU where the New Republic is more unified, there is a strong Jedi Order and no First Order. The Imperial Remnant is just that, a remnant, and while there are some skirmishes on the border of the Outer Rim and the Unknown Regions, there’s not the level of hostility present in the Sequel Trilogy.

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Just to be clear: we are talking military pilot? Also what kind of ship?

Raissa Baiard likes this.
  22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I would think near the base in easy commuting distance but not on it. If he were an officer likely he would need to be on-site for rotation/shift purposes and meetings. [face_thinking]

Findswoman and Raissa Baiard like this.
  23. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Yes, and he flies an X-wing.

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Ok, than he can't sleep in it.

I will just call @Sarge and @AdmiralNick22 they will likley give much better answears than I ever could

25. Bel505

Bel505 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jul 4, 2006
    I think it would depend on exactly what his job is, and which planet it is. In the US military, a base is basically a self-contained town or city, with housing and shops all part of the base itself (it's not like he'd be living in a garrison with bunks while on-world). There might be some worlds in the NR that have that kind of basing arrangement, while others might be more casual and let their personnel live more freely (depending on security concerns).