main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~*~ The 2020 Favorites of Fanfic Social Thread ~*~ Who's ready to celebrate?!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Mira_Jade , Feb 5, 2021.

1. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Hello, fellow fanficers!

This is the place to socialize and ask questions about the Favorites of FanFic Festival. (If you don't know what the heck we are talking about, see the Favorites of FanFic Festival 2020 post.) But, as usual, there are a few rules to cover, first.

Man, those mods always have rules.

• TOS, as always, applies. (But you knew that already, didn't you?)
    • Absolutely NO negative comments.
      • If you don't agree with the story someone posted/don't think it fits the category, keep it to yourself.
    • Absolutely YES to thanking people for putting forth your story. (You may also do this in your story thread, but you can only do that once, so if your story gets put forth again for another category and you've already thanked in your story thread, you may not do it again.)
    • This isn't the general social thread, so please keep non-FanFic Festival chatter to a minimum.
      • Role playing as your screen name at a FanFic Fest is allowed. Creativity as to what the Fest would look like and how people should dress is encouraged. Have fun! If you would like to make little skits a la the awards, that is fine too.
    • Please no asking for people to put forth your stories, nor 'woe is me, my stories aren't being put forth' type posts. We know there is a bit of popularity to this type of thing, we've tried to get rid of as much of it as possible, but we can't get rid of it entirely. We know it sucks to not have your work recognised. It is NOT a testament to your abilities as a writer. Don't get discouraged. Instead, jump in and recognise someone you think might be in the same boat!

And now, let's have some fun! [face_dancing] [face_party]

[​IMG]

2. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    So happy we are having this wonderful event again this year=D=

I'm excited to see what stories will get nominated for all the different categories.

There were so many awesome stories produced this year. It'll be great to see them all recognized[face_dancing]

Kahara, pronker, gizkaspice and 9 others like this.
  3. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Me too! I’m ready to celebrate! [face_party] I look forward to this each year, and goodness knows we could all use some festivities right about now. @};-

So, here’s a question that came to mind for me. We had both the Fanfic Olympics and an Ultimate Drabble Challenge this year, both which generated a lot of truly amazing work—but it’s hard to know how to classify people’s entries in those according to the current categories. Can we count those in the word count categories as multichapters, etc.? Or series? Or either, depending on the category? If you like (say) the way a particular character was portrayed in one of them, could you nominate the whole thing? (For example, if Writer1 wrote a Ree-Yees pentathlon titled “Ree-Yees Rocks,” could Writer2 make, say, one of their Favorite Movie Character nominations “Ree-Yees in ‘Ree-Yees Rocks' by Writer1”?)

Thanks much, and looking forward to this, as always! :)

Kahara, pronker, gizkaspice and 4 others like this.
  4. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    The UDC (and like challenge like the fanfic Olympics) has always presented some challenges when it comes to categorizing them - and different authors have different approaches to these challenges (some UDCs are all over the place in terms of timeline/character while others have more of a common thread). I'd say look at the plot. If it does have some sort of overarching storyline or theme then yeah, you can you can list the entire thread as a cohesive story under any category. If the drabbles are more disconnected I would look at an individual drabble and nominate that alone under whatever applicable category. Does that make sense?

If you are unsure, either PM a mod or just go with your gut. Remember the purpose of the Favourites is not to split hairs - it's to celebrate fanfic - and when it come to indexing we pretty much omit only the blatantly rule-breaking submits (not eligible because of the year posted, etc).

AzureAngel2, Kahara, pronker and 5 others like this.
  5. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    That's a good tip for classifying entries to things like the Fanfic Olympics, and I definitely want to nominate some of the amazing stories that were written for that event since some of them were simply spectacular.

On that note, it feels like many years ago that I hosted the Fanfic Olympics even though it was only months ago back in the summer.

2020 really was the year that lasted about 20 years in my head...The year that never ended...But thank the Force it is over now, and I can celebrate the fic produced in that crazy year.

6. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    I was just thinking of this and here's the thread!=D=

7. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Wait, do we get to dress up for this?

Starts going through her mythical wardrobe where everything fits perfectly...

8. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Photo of me dressed up for the Festival: [​IMG]
    What? What do you mean, I’m not a Twi’lek? :D

9. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    *flails, looks through closet* I just don't know ... maybe start easy at the bottom, with shoes? Please inspire me, Muse of Manila, Lady Imelda ... :amidala:
    EAD: Muse, you came to my aid with a cerise and black ensemble! And that's just for starters!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  10. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Quick question -- if the thread is pre-2020 but the story is a standalone kind of thing posted in 2020, can it be nominated? (For further context, the stories in the thread are part of the same series/world but definitely separate. It's not a chapter of a story.)

11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yes, you can if it's like a vignette collection or something, just make sure you link to the story post itself (by clicking the number in the lower right of the post) not just to the thread.

12. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I am not qualified to submit anything as it's been a while and I would probably be unfair if I just randomly added stuff that I have caught up with, but I am still excited about this? Why? Because there are so many things to read and this is a wonderful list of recommendations. :)

13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Sorry the banner is so big. I swear the source image is only 500X178 px. not sure why it's blowing up so big, but I have a migraine coming on so I really dont care right now. I'll try fixing it in the morning

14. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, but I feel your pain. I swear that I scaled my banner down to 300x50 at one point last week, and it was still blown up ridiculously large. And then, to boot, it was grainy and pixilated because the image was so small. :p The boards do what the boards want to do. It's part of the fun of the Festival at this point. Just sit back and watch the mods struggle with the banners. [face_laugh] 8-}

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    AzureAngel2, Kahara, pronker and 3 others like this.
  15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    It looks fine on mobile - which is where banners can get annoying - so I'm not too worried. Everyone on desktop is just going to have to scroll past my pretty Canva creation (or dismiss the banner).

16. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    [​IMG]
    Building up from the cerise trainers, here I am as the evening eases into classic Genre category mood, five minutes before this happens ...

Spam call from a brand spanking new cell phone, model X57822130099 from the Sammyisamensch Elite Communications company, hereinafter called the SEC (not to be confused with the Securities and Exchange Commission, although we won't really mind if you do).

Greetings, pronker, Your Fannish Energy Statement Is Ready To View:

Congratulations! Your fannish energy surges to new heights this -8th- day of -March- in the year -2021-. Your unflagging efforts to maintain fannish energy gained you top tier attention from the SEC as follows:

1. You improved your fannish energy 100% from -March 2020-. We hesitate to remind you of your lowest of the low energy ratings at that time, but it is our job.
    2. Your energy level surged in -July 2020- due to fireworks on -Independence Day- with concomitant breeding of plot bunnies. Be proud.
    3. The latest peak of fannish energy began -March 2021- coinciding with The 2020 Favorites of Fanfic celebration. Coincidence? We at the SEC think not.

17. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Thank you, everyone, who mentioned my works in your recommendations. I truly appreciate it. @};-

18. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    You are so welcome, @divapilot! Your work is awesome and more than worthy, and we are blessed to have you—and it—here on the boards. @};-

So, I have a question about this week’s “New Canon/Legends Mash-up or Cross-Over” category: I’m looking at the part of the definition from the rules post that applies to the “New Canon/Legends Mash-up” part...
    ...and I’m wondering, would we count in that a drabble thread that includes some Legends-based “weeks” and some NuCanon-based “weeks,” even if those individual weeks don’t necessarily feature mixed elements? Or is it necessary that the NuCanon and Legends elements be combined within the same story/chapter/drabble week? Just checking—thanks for any advice you may be able to offer! :)

19. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    +100.

20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I will often say "we arent splitting hairs" with favourites and that still stands but I think the spirit of the category is that the NuCanon and Legends elements should be combined in the same storyline. So I'd say no since the situation you are describing does not "combines explicitly" as per the category description.

21. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    [​IMG]
    Inspired by Coles Phillips' famous "fade away girl" illustrations, here I am in a thoughtful, subdued brown dress (acrylic self-portrait on brown bristleboard) contemplating Fanfic Favorites among the tulips. I function as a cover for the fireplace, too!:D

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  22. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    [​IMG]

And off we go into another year of ficcing! Follow Skipper into the swamp wading pool of reading, commenting and hopefully writing as the year progresses! Ta ta! :D (obverse of the fireplace cover in previous photo, brown bristleboard just crying out for acrylics):sabine: [Thanks to briannakin for nomming me for a NSWFF reviewer! :)]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  23. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Thanks to those who mentioned my works in their recommendations! [:D] (long overdue I know!) and congratulations to everyone! I hope this year will have some great stories.

24. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Yeah, also a big thanks from me to those who think that my stuff is worthwhile a nomination, leave alone a comment. [face_blush]

Kahara, amidalachick, pronker and 2 others like this.
  25. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Oh, I realize I have been remiss in my thank you's![face_blush]

Well, better late than never, right?

So, a humble thank you to:

@Findswoman
    @AzureAngel2
    @Raissa Baiard
    @Seldes_Katne
    @Bel505
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha
    @amidalachick
    @Kahara
    @gizkaspice
    As well as anyone who submitted my stories anonymously via PM

For nominating me in the story and/or author categories. I truly appreciate your support as well as the support that I receive from readers and reviewers all year round, which makes this place such a great environment for encouraging my creativity and sharing the results of my creativity when my muse cooperates!

I also want to congratulate and thank all the other authors who were nominated in the story and/or author categories for their amazing contributions to Star Wars and non Star Wars fan fiction this year. I look forward to seeing all the fanfic everyone will produce in 2021!

And a special shoutout to the people who were nominated in the reviewer categories. Your generosity and thoughtfulness in giving reviews is appreciated by every fanfic author on this site, I am sure.

Also, I wanted to give a big thank you to our lovely mods, @Mira_Jade, @Briannakin, and @mavjade for not only hosting this event but also other fun challenges throughout the year and for making this place one of the best spots to post and talk about fanfic on the whole Internet.

So, big but socially distant, virtual hugs all around to everybody[:D]

And that is my better late than never thank you's!