main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource The Fanon Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by FanonSock, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Thanks. One thing about the big spreadsheet. It doesn't add a lot of information compared to the post; the summary descriptions cover basically all the areas where people live or where there's interesting weird stuff, so the spreadsheet mostly documents lots of additional repeating patterns of 'structural support' and 'airflow' and 'hydroponics' and the like. What it does do is reinforce the completely bonkers scale of the Underworld. Actually scrolling through 5127 rows and absorbing how some 50-level thick zone is only 1% of the total really helps hit home the true size of the thing.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  2. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    Gungan Fanon Essay

I know that Gungans are not a particularly popular topic in the Star Wars universe, but on first viewing of The Phantom Menace, I saw a lot of potential for them and their civilization. The following has been developed over the past 20 years.

I took George Lucas’ “amphibious” description of them rather literally, so with that in mind:

Physiology:

Gungans have a limited ability to regulate their internal body temperature, which is one reason they tend to stay in the swampy areas of the planet – the air and water are warm all year round. Even before Human colonists came to Naboo, the Gungans only visited the more northern parts of the planet during summer months, when they might travel there to harvest various types of food or capture certain game animals. It’s possible that the Gungan language would not have a term for “snow” or other related winter concepts.

As the Gungans move out into the galaxy, they will, of course, encounter environments that are very different from the warm climates of equatorial Naboo. On an ice planet like Hoth, for example, a Gungan would need not just the heavy outer clothing worn by Luke and Han in ESB, but some sort of heating unit underneath to keep the body temperature elevated.

The Gungans have reproductive practices similar to those of Terrestrial frogs, toads and salamanders. The eggs from the female are fertilized by the male in the water, not inside the female’s body, as is the case with mammals. This means no pregnant females.

One of the social ramifications of this is that Gungan society can’t use pregnancy as excuse to require the females to spend most of their time caring for the children, or to deny them the same opportunities and jobs as their male counterparts. This also means that males and females are equally responsible for childcare.

Another ramification is there are no “illegitimate” children. No one knows for certain who their biological parents are. All children born into a Gungan clan (explained below) are official members and all adults are expected to treat them as such.

Once the eggs are fertilized, they mature while clinging to the sides and bottom of the mating pool(s). The “tadpoles” don’t need to eat until the food in their egg yolk runs out and they hatch; they can then eat pretty much whatever the adults do. This would include fruit, insects, various kinds of meat, vegetables, etc. (Suitably pulped or mashed for the youngest children, until their teeth grown in.) Gungans, like Terrestrial amphibians, would not nurse their young, and the entire species may well be lactose intolerant, as they have no need to metabolize milk.

In addition to getting too cold, Gungans can also overheat. Body heat can be dispersed through the haillu (the floppy ear-like appendages on the back of the Gungans’ heads). Notice how broad and flat they are – this provides a large surface that is exposed to air and water and which can dissipate heat. The haillu also provide camouflage; the broad “ears” resemble the floating leaves of water plants; a Gungan’s eyestalks mimic the stumps or stalks of water vegetation, allowing the Gungan to watch enemies or prey unobserved. Note that Gungan nostrils are on the upper part of their muzzles and therefore easily accessible to the surface of water while everything else is submerged.

The haillu may also change colors, depending on the individual’s health. In The Wildlife of Star Wars, the section on kaadu notes that the male’s skin changes color during the mating season; it’s possible that Gungan skin or haillu might do the same.

Social Structure:

Gungan society is divided among eight clans, each represented by a different animal. Members of all eight clans are found in virtually every city and settlement in Gungan territory; individuals belonging to a particular clan have “relatives,” as well as a place to stay and food available, almost everywhere they go. Individuals are generally encouraged to take spouses from other clans, as this strengthens ties between clans.

Clan totem animals include the Terazod, the Ikopi, the Zalaaca, and the Muudabok Clan members often wear some symbol of their affiliation, either jewelry or clothing colors, although this isn’t required.

Gungans may have multiple spouses. There are about as many marriages in Gungan society as in Human society, and Gungans form life partnerships for most of the same reasons Humans do -- political or economic advantage, strengthening ties between clans, or because the individuals love each other. There might be negotiations made in cases of clans or families who are very small, or between individuals willing to switch affiliation. Someone might choose to marry into a clan for reasons of prestige. The clan affiliation goes to whomever initiates the marriage proposal.

Just as with Humans, there are various levels of emotional commitment. Some spouses are very close, others view the relationship as a business arrangement, etc.

Terrestrial amphibians tend to exist near the bottom of the local food chain, which means many other creatures eat them. Their survival strategy is to produce large numbers of offspring so that enough will survive to continue the species. However, the Gungans seem to have no natural enemies other than disease, accidents, and occasionally dangerous animals or other Gungans and/or Humans. Because of this, there is no need to Gungans to have large number of children.

There are two possible ways their population can be controlled: through a naturally limited reproductive cycle, or through social selection. In Ryder Windham’s short novel Festival of Warriors, the Gungans hold a series of competitions testing strength, endurance and fighting ability. Of course, a society would want the best and brightest to produce the next generation, but there’s more to that definition than just people who fight well. There are also competitions for other skills, such as storytelling, artistic ability in various field, spiritual sensitivities, scientific and engineering aptitudes, and so on. Those who excel at these competitions may earn the “right” to mate.

It’s also possible that Gungans have much briefer periods of fertility or mating cycles than Terrestrial amphibians, and will only mate a few times (or perhaps even once) in their lives.

Gungans are fond of stories, and a skilled storyteller will hold a place of high esteem in most communities. Stories range from short poems to epics that can take an entire evening to tell. Many are rendered in song, which can make them easier to remember. Frequent topics include stories of the gods, legends of great deeds, cautionary tales, and straight-up history lessons.

All Gungans are expected to serve at least some time in the militia, which in modern times exists mostly to protect the underwater cities from the dangerous aquatic creatures that lurk in the planet’s depths. Most Gungans don’t make a career of the military, but they are familiar with the weapons and practices in case of emergency.

Gungans don’t lock their doors. The density of the bubble dwelling’s wall can be altered, depending on the manufacturing techniques and other factors, but inside the bubbles people generally just walk through arches or circular holes to move from one room to another. Some inhabitants may hang “curtains” of leather or suede or strings of beads or other ornamental objects. In some homes, there may be a curtain of water between certain rooms, courtesy of some fancy engineering that allows the outside water in through the hydrostatic skin of the bubble dwelling.

In public areas, visitors are supposed to be able to walk freely through most of the building. There are generally guards or greeters in various locations to direct visitors to the appropriate location.

While they can sleep on the ground or in outdoor dwellings or some form of bed, most Gungans will sleep in pools when at home and wherever else it’s possible. They will automatically submerge and resurface to breathe while they sleep.

Gungans speak at least two, and in some cases, three languages. Their original language has been classified as “High Gungan” by linguists, and includes a number of sounds that Humans cannot imitate, lacking the vocal and physical means to do so. When communicating with Humans, the Gungans speak what’s now called “Gunganese;” this language came from the initial meetings with Humans and the subsequent passing of the speech patterns from one generation of the Gungans to the next without the input of Humans. This language has thus taken on a life of its own. As Gungans continue to interact with citizens of the wider galaxy, Gunganese will likely change to a form closer to standard Basic.

A third language, “Hunter Speak,” is used by members of the military and Gungan hunters while operating in the Naboo wilderness. It consists entirely of sign language, using fingers and hands, and has the benefit of being silent.

Spirituality:

Gungans have an inclusive relationship with the natural world; they see themselves as part of nature, rather than above it or separate from it. This is illustrated in their spiritual practices. Most cities and settlements have a local Sacred Place, as we saw in TPM. Some of these areas include the fallen statuary shown in the movie; others are merely an area consisting of strictly natural features. Otoh Gunga has one Sacred Place that is perpetually under water, with another on land.

In the Sacred Places, all nature is welcome, from the most harmless of plants and animals to the most dangerous of predators. Weaponry, with very few exceptions, is not allowed; only those weapons provided by nature (teeth, claws, sticks, stones, intelligence) may be used. Gungans often enter the Sacred Place in groups, which provides a greater element of protection.

Most Sacred Places have a Shrine Keeper to oversee them. The Shrine Keeper leads whatever religious ceremonies are needed, including the naming of children, the performance of marriages, and death rituals. Shrine Keepers often enter the Sacred Place alone – it is believed that the gods choose who lives or dies there, and the Shrine Keeper’s faith will protect them.

While Gungans overall have a strong survival drive, it is not unknown for some, particularly the elderly or terminally ill, to enter the Sacred Place for the purpose of (effectively) nature-assisted suicide. With the Shrine Keeper’s blessing, these individuals will take up residence in the Sacred Place until death, thereby “paying back” into the cycle of life. A similar ritual is sometimes applied to certain animals in Gungan culture, particularly the kaadu, the beloved riding beasts of the Gungan cavalry. In the case of these animals, weapons are permitted in the Sacred Place to allow a quick end to the animal’s suffering.

Gungans often commemorate dead friends and family members by creating some kind of totem or small work of art, and then hanging the object on a “Memory Tree” within the local Sacred Place. The object may be made of and decorated with any suitable material (stone, gems, bone, carved wood, weavings, etc.) that the artist associates with the deceased.

Relationship with the Humans of Naboo:

In TPM, Queen Amidala comments to Boss Nass that there has always been peace between their two species, although there seems to have been some bloodshed early on when the Human colonists first arrived. However, it appears that the two societies naturally occupy two different environmental niches on Naboo, and have little need of anything in each other’s territory. Items of interest, such as food or medicinal plants, are more likely obtained through trade than violence.

Misc.:

Gungans have three fingers and an opposable thumb on each hand. Because of this, Gungans count in base eight instead of base ten the way Humans do. So Gungans would count one through seven the same way a human would, as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 or symbols that stood for the numerals. However, the number eight would be represented as “10” because there’s one eight and no ones. Instead of ones, tens, hundreds, thousands, the Gungans would count in ones, eights, sixty-fourths, etc.

3. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I just adore your Gungan post @Seldes_Katne because I absolutely hate how TCW depicted them. You made them relatable yet alien--which is exactly how I remember them from TPM :D I also love the physiology section--spot on great stuff . (Some fancy words you can use relating to amphibians if you want to include: ecothermic (body temperature dependent on environment contrasting that with endothermic (such as mammals/birds); and external fertilization for their reproduction). Now I'm looking forward to more!

4. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    Thank you, gizkaspice. I hope folks find my essay useful. It's been a while (well, more than a while, actually) since I've written about or studied biology, so I'm a bit rusty on the vocabulary.

I confess I'm not a big fan of TCW -- it's a bit too dark for my taste. And my opinion on the episode "Shadow Warrior" can't be repeated in company, polite or otherwise.

~*~*~*~​

I don't have much to add to my fanon essay at the moment -- just a bit more on Gungan spirituality, and a question.

The Gungans believe in a pantheon of gods. I have a passing familiarity with three of them: O’mas, the Creator God, who presents as female; U’daray, god of hunting, who generally presents as female; and A’Pensik, god of luck and chance, the trickster god, who usually presents as male (but like most tricksters, can take whatever form or gender seems the most useful). There’s a whole story of how O’mas creates Naboo (the Gungans have another name for it, which is actually a song) – it’s one of those lengthy epic pieces that takes an evening to tell, although I’ve heard General Tarpals tell an informal, abbreviated version of it to a Human audience. There are other gods, of course – a couple of posts above this is mention of Jug-Jug, the goddess of surfing, whom I have yet to meet. ;)

Like the Gungans themselves, the gods have public names known to all, and private names known only to the individual and the Shrine Keepers (and presumably to the gods, or at least O’mas).

My question is about the Ankurans, the minority race of the Gungan species. We see Rugor Nass in TPM (and a bit in RotS), and there’s an entry for them in the Episode One Visual Guide, and then the entire group just disappears. There’s no mention of them dying off or moving to another planet – they’re just never depicted again in canon. So where did they go? Granted they’re a small subset of the species, but I would expect to at least see or hear a mention of them.

5. FanonSock

FanonSock Jedi Master star 1

Nov 11, 2014
    Hi all! It’s me, your friendly neighborhood FanonSock, with some wonderful update announcements for the first quarter of this year! :D

@Seldes_Katne announces her new post on the Gungans.

@Ewok Poet announces the following updates and changes to her posts:

Hope everything looks accurate—if not, just let me know! :)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    Gamiel likes this.
  6. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    That is not my username. O_O

7. FanonSock

Nov 11, 2014
    Easily fixed, and fixed now; sorry about that typo!

Ewok Poet likes this.
  8. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Fanon Entry for July 2021

Flamesworn

The semi-nomadic Vahla species possessed a society of large clans united by loose blood bonds and ruled over by their elders. Within these clans there was an extremely strong societal pressure to have many children, as the Vahla suffered from both low overall numbers due to the lack of stable territorial holdings and an extreme high rate of young adult death due to their high-risk and often violent lifestyles. Sustaining the species was therefore considered very important, especially among those who were strong in the Force, or in Vahla parlance, ‘much gifted by the Goddess.’ While Vahla partnership traditions were loose, with serial monogamy and polygamy quite common and formal monogamous relationships rare, childlessness carried significant social stigma. Most Vahla had at least one child prior to leaving their teens, though these children were often cared for by clan elders rather than their parents.

The Flamesworn constituted the only significant exception to this societal norm.

It was a path only open to young Vahla who had formally joined the dark side cult known as the Ember of Vahl. An enterprising young member of the cult could express a desire to prove their devotion to the Goddess by becoming Flamesworn. This choice had to be approved by the Chosen of Vahl cult leaders. Approval was not common, with only a handful of Vahla granted the privilege each generation. The Chosen would search the future extensively using the Force to decide whether this was the correct path for each would-be Flamesworn, and generally only the strongest and most fervent Vahla were granted the honor.

To become Flamesworn meant total devotion to Vahl’s will, marking the prospective Vahla apart from the clan by forsaking lineage and love. Flamesworn were completely forbidden to have children. During their ceremonial adoption of the status, they actively sterilized themselves by burning their reproductive capabilities out of the body using the Force – the ovaries for females and the seminiferous tubules in males. They then swear that they will sacrifice all future lovers they may have to Vahl.

A would be Flamesworn who failed during the ceremony faced immediate sacrifice to their Goddess.

Flamesworn served as elite agents of the Vahla and the Chosen of Vahl. They were encouraged to take and sacrifice non-Vahla lovers for the benefit of the species and to undertake extremely high-risk tasks on behalf of their cult. They were extremely dangerous persons best known for their total absence of hesitation when it came to killing. Many worked as skilled infiltrators, often masquerading as humans and readily adopting new identities as they left a trail of immolated lovers across the galaxy.

It was common for Flamesworn to use seduction as a weapon. They particularly sought to target Jedi in this way, as they were far more successful killing these hated enemies in moments of intimacy than during combat.

Many of the galaxy’s most famous – or perhaps most infamous – Vahla were Flamesworn, a fact the colored the perception of Vahla throughout the galaxy. Tellingly, most Vahla were only too happy to have the Flamesworn as their cultural representatives.

Gamiel likes this.
  9. FanonSock

Nov 11, 2014
    Hi, all! It’s been a little while, hasn’t it! Here’s a quick update:

@Mechalich has a new post on the Vahla tradition of the Flamesworn (it’s the post right above thiis one).

And since it’s been a little while, a quick reminder of the procedure: when you make your fanon post for the month, please send me its link via PM, and I’ll add it to both the index and my next updates post.

Thanks, all, and let the fanon fun continue! :cool:

Gamiel likes this.
  10. Gahmah Raan

Gahmah Raan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2015
    Gamiel likes this.
  11. FanonSock

Nov 11, 2014
    Hi all! It’s time for another update post, but things have been quiet, and the only recent update has been the one @Gahmah Raan announced just above this, so I shall quote his announcement again here:
    As always, if you have a new fanon post, an update to one, or ideas for events or challenges, please PM this sock! I’m happy to receive any of those things. :)

Gamiel likes this.
  12. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Findswoman and Gamiel like this.
  13. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Beyond Eriadu, the Far South West

When travelers leave the big industrial worlds of Eriadu and Sluis Van behind they enter into more and more wild and less and less secure space, where even the patrols of the Outland Regions Defense Force and other military forces only rarely enter into. Where the locals often are force and prepared to defend their lives with their own hands, if they don´t even live off taking life and livelihood from their neighbors. Parts if these regions were, at least on paper claimed by the large nations of the galaxy such as the Old Republic and the Empire, but in truth these factions are rarely encountered in these territories. Due to the presence of rare resources the Mining Guild and a few similar large companies who can afford the necessary mercenary protections have created strongholds in the region, isles of light in the darkness. On other worlds one might find Separatist Remnants struggling with dear survival more than Republic or Empire, stubborn Libertarian Exiles, Adventurers, hiding criminals and a hardly quantifiable number of Cutthroats and Pirates.

Lyceaus

The last Outpost of the Eriaduan Sphere located at the Southwestern tip of it. A cold world with dark oceans dotted only with a few islands that are located close to the worlds poles. On one of these islands a larger settlement(with a few hundred residents though only few are permanent) exists. It's used to repair and refuel ORSF ships passing through the region as well houses several listening posts with which the Eriaduans use to watch over the porous border with the pirates of the Southwest. Also has a bit of, largely droid based underwater mining going on. Most of the permanent residents belong to a small military contingent keeping the world secure, while various scientist, miners and droid repair technicians tend to live there seasonal. The place is also known as a place of exile for fallen members of the Eriaduan nobility.

Curean

A mysterious quiet world covered largely in healthy forests. Only houses a relatively small population of a few hundred thousand humans many of which live in small villages through the forests. It is known for being a peaceful place, almost too peaceful considering its location amongst various pirate and raider factions. The world is ruled by a mysterious woman known as "The Duchess" who doesn´t seem to age and has been accused of various dark dealings. Yet at the same time Curean is a covered location for trade as its inhabitants are known to be honest, hard working folk.

Xenon VI

A meeting point for pirates and raiders through the sector. On its markets pretty much everything desirable in the galaxy could be found. Slaves, illegal weapons, drugs, artifacts, as well as various legal wares of all sorts. Is ruled by a small clan of Zygerian exiles who generations ago where driven from Zygerria and sought shelter in the West. These Zygerians generally tolerate all sorts business as long as their partners behave themselves. In the rare case that fights do break out on Xenon their entire force will always side with the attacked party, even if it's causing their masters a loss. This strict rule keeps the violence on the world on a minimum and ensures that criminals from various different backgrounds can interact with each other in relative peace. This security also leads to hedonists from various places of the galaxy come here to indulge in their desires under the protection of the locals.

Koan

In before and during the Clone Wars Koan was a rather unimportant world, its only notable feature being a small Techno Union Outpost, used to test new droids in the planets various ecosystems. After the fall of the CIS though it became a rallying point for CIS survivors from the entire galaxy as well as other enemies of the new order. The Outpost was expanded and the rudimentary droid factory grew with it. Especially after Confederated hackers cracked the codes to reactivate further CIS droids shut down at the end of the war. A few years after the declaration of the Empire the power of these Exiles had grown enough that they felt ready to challenge the new order. Under the Leadership of Generals like Gizor Dellso and Mikael Altuin these remnants where quite successful in the first months of their insurrection even being able to reclaim the droid factories at Mustafar. Yet their success was short lived as internal conflicts soon broke the faction apart and their hopes of support from other rebellious elements, such as the eventually founders of the rebel alliance, remained unfulfilled. Mustafar was re conquered by the empire after only a few months and Dellso slain in battle. With his death the separatist remnant broke apart. Koan going from one petty warlord to the next until a new faction would rise from the ashes, the Iron Alliance. An organized faction of pirates who rule much of the Galactic Southwest. Their name deriving from the large number of Weapons and Armor as well as droids that are reused by them. Their leader is known as the Iron Lord/Lady and the position has been in the hands of many warriors since its creation. Koan itself also provides a large number of different environments for the pirates to improve their fighting skills in the times they leave their scrap build cities and droid workshops.

Callean

When the separatist remnant broke apart under the attacks of the empire not all of its members became pirates or abandoned their old identity and colors. On Callean the general Mikael Altuin refused to surrender nor give up on his cause. Clinging together what few systems stayed loyal to him. It has been a harsh struggle ever since and at times his remnant of a remnant has been dependant on donations from the Kathol Republic(ironically an offshoot of the Galactic Republic) just to feed their people. But where other people would have broken under these circumstances General Altuin held his people together and slowly but surely began to make something out of their existence. These days the factions keeps itself going by protecting traders against raids from the Iron Alliance and other pirates, still dreaming from the day they can form a true independent and recognized successor state to the old CIS one that truly cares for its people. Callean is herby the center of their efforts. A world being a weird mix of an agrarian colony and a training facility as a considerable part of the population from it and its aligned worlds are trained as soldiers. Using whatever weapons and ships they can get their hands on the people of Callean are a constant torn in the side of the pirates and a glimmer of hope at the edge of the galaxy.

Qaelan

The imperial administrative Capital of the Southwest during the imperial occupation following their victory over the Separatist Remnants. Pre Empire just a minor human colony world it was massively expanded once imperial personal and settlers where brought in. Also became seat for several of the mega cooperation's who began to exploit the resources of the Southwest under the protection of the Empire. When the imperial rule over the Southwest shattered in the decades after Endor Qaelan became filled with refugees trying to escape the Iron Alliance and seeking shelter in one of the few bastions of stability in the region. Yet their hopes of a save heaven where ultimately crushed when the Iron Alliance took Qaelan after two years of bloody fighting. The vast majority of the population was enslaved, and while many where sold to other worlds as far as the Senex Juvex and Hutt Sectors, the majority is still on the world, slaving in factories and mines for the sake of their pirate overlords.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    Findswoman likes this.
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That some nice planets @Anedon

some comments:
    Suggest making this, and the other planet names, in bold

Feels like that amount of people should be a bit more than few hundred. Also, no hardy homesteders?

Do they have to be humans? Just thinking that humans are over reprecented and suggest some other species instead, or humans + some other species, if it dose not need to be humans.

suggest changing "everything desirable in the galaxy" to "everything desirable in this part of the galaxy" if you don't want to imply that pirates and blacktraders from all over the galaxy comes to Xenon VI.

Anedon likes this.
  15. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    My general idea for the place was it essentially being the SW version of South Georgia. So really a place with very little population. In this case it also houses exiles other fallen nobles as a bit of a permanent population but that´s pretty much it.

Also homesteads would be hard to really sustain. Or even create in the first place as pretty much all of the small landmasses are either miliatry security zones or property of the nobles who own the mining stations.

Well already wrote a story set there and the named people showing up are exclusivley humans so it makes sense in that direction. Maybe there are small non human comunities in some of the smaller villages and towns but I would say at least the capital is pretty much completly human inhabited.

They might not travel there from everywhere but wares from all over the galaxy might be brought there via various intermidiate steps. Like bought on Chisla, smuggled to Nar Shaddar, smuggled here so to say.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    Gamiel likes this.
  16. FanonSock

Nov 11, 2014
    Kahara likes this.
  17. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    And another Fanon Post about the Southwest, tying in the with the One above(where I also added another planet)
    This one also incorporates official lore, which I have modified a bit.

Factions of the Galactic Southwest

On most galaxy maps the Galactic Southwest will be shown as a part of the Galactic Alliance but this couldn´t be farther from the truth as the GA has virtually no influence in the region, nor any real interest in it. Instead its people are divided into their own struggling factions:

The Iron Alliance

The Iron Alliance is the current dominant power of the Galactic Southwest. A collection of pirates and warlords under the rule of a single leader known as the Iron Lord/Lady. Formed from the survivors of the Separatist Remnant they first rose to prominence as a force opposing the imperial rule in the Southwest and attracted a wide variety of supporters, from local pirates over opportunists to more idealistic freedom fighters. When the imperial rule over the Southwest eventually collapsed the Iron Alliance became the dominant power in the region, conquering many worlds and forcing even more into a state of dependency where they had to pay regular tribute to the pirates. During this time they were also joined by many of the mercenaries that had once fought for the Empire in the region as well as deserted imperial forces. Their name, Iron Alliance, derives itself from the huge number of metal pieces of equipment its members use(mostly rests of the Separatists Arsenal though in modern times it has been vastly expanded with imperial leftovers). Unlike other rising Nations in the galaxy the Iron Alliance generally has no higher aspirations of conquering further territories, instead being more focused on extracting tribute from their subjects as well as sell the fruits of their, mostly slave based, labor. Most nations that border the Iron Alliance are forced into under the table deals with the pirates to keep their own trading in the region save. These "protection fees" are often paid in money or weapons but sometimes even slaves are handed over. Other nations such as the Senex Juvex Sector even have full blown trade agreements with the Alliance though keep them a secret to the rest of the galaxy.

The Kathol Republic

Founded by idealists and political refugees seeking to escape the corruption of the old Republic the Kathol Republic has been for a time a shining beacon of hope and idealism in the Outer Rim. Though in Time not only would their government begin to fall prey to the same corruption as the state they had desired to leave. Initially their remote location spared them any direct conflicts with the empire, though as the empire expanded into the Southwest border clashes began to occur, eventually escalating into an open war in the years following the battle of Endor. For a while the Kathol Republic hoped for an intervention of the New Republic in the region but in the end these hopes where quashed after a few short years of cooperation. Abandoned by their allies and soon confronted with a new threat in form of the Iron Alliance, the Kathol Republic isolated itself even more than before. At this point the nation has spent the last two decades under a "temporary" military government wary of outsiders and just focused of keeping their own border save.

The Southwestern Liberation Front

An unlikely alliance of former enemies, of past and present, but the largest opposition the Iron Alliance faces in the Southwest the SLF is as diverse as their leaders and their back stories. Formed by the remnants of the Separatist forces in the region, and soldiers who once fought for the New Republic, many other communities would in time join this alliance to fight for their freedom.

General Mikael Altuin, the hero of Umbara and war hero of the CIS has spent nearly his entire life in a state of war, moving from battlefield to battlefield. First serving in the GAR during the early days of the Clone Wars he followed his homeworld to the side of the CIS, was captured by the republic only to escape in the chaos of order 66, to the Southwest where he rallied what remained of CIS forces alongside Gizor Dellso only to suffer another major defeat and go on to fight first the imperials and now the Iron Alliance. Altuin long since gave up any thoughts of ideology or restoration of what has been. Instead the old Umbaran now only fights to let his people see another day.

His partner in this alliance Kaiya Adrimetrum has been a child of the Southwest from her first breath. She experienced the brutal imperial oppression and has fought in all of its conflicts since then. When the New Republic intervened in the war against the imperial remnants in the region following the battle of Endor Adrimetrum was one of the first to step up and fight under their banner, dreaming of a better future. But the dream was soon shattered when the New Republic was forced to abandon the region in face of the Thrawn campaign and later the Dark Empire. They never returned, though Kaiya and some of her comrades remained, fighting on for their dream. Despite having been abandoned by her allies, as well as losing her husband to the empire and one of her daughters to the Iron Alliance Adrimetrum hasn´t given up on her hopes yet, even willing to ally with the separatist remnants to protect her people.

Ultimately the SLF is these days more a annoyance to the Iron Alliance than a real threat, as they are simply far too few to make any significant progress in the region and without further allies, this likely won´t change anytime soon.

Imperial Forces

During the height of Imperial Power in the Southwest Millions of colonists where brought in from the core worlds to settle the resource rich southwest while large corporations began exploiting the regions resources, drawing on mercenaries for protection.

Today only little is left, many imperial soldiers abandoned the region after the battle of Endor, other even joined the Iron Alliance, while the settlers where often killed or enslaved, or in the best case became tributaries to the new rulers of the region. Leaving only a few isolated worlds today who are still free of Iron Alliance control. Usually hiding their very presence by not even trying to keep contact with each other, these survivors hunker down in their homes every night and pray that the Iron Alliance can´t find them. Though while most imperial forces left the Sector, some fought on. Generally the more idealistic commanders and those whose families dwell in the Region refused to abandon the settlers. Many have since then died fighting the Iron Alliance as well as other enemies but some are still around, fighting to keep what little remains of their people alive and secure. Having on rare occasions even worked alongside the SLF their conflicting ideologies and backgrounds make any lengthy cooperation seem impossible, at least for now...

Last edited: Dec 30, 2023
    Findswoman likes this.
  18. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I have a fanon post about medicines

Medicines used on Moniron

Midillamin
    Midillamin is the medicine used to get dead midichlorians out of a Force-sensitive. It is a sickly green liquid administered by IV and will make a person very nauseous for days or even weeks.
    A speed-up of the treatment was discovered by Soron Adameh after collecting draxin and getting contaminated. His speeder had a problem on the high pass of mount Moniron when he had the Midillamin treatment. Freezing temperatures had midichlorians leaving very fast. Hypothermia treatment under sedation became the rule but only if the patient agreed.

Draxinon
    After the planet Moniron was errased from the galaxy by the empire (Darth Vader getting a vision) the healers could get no more common medicines to use for Force-suppression on their Dunai elder and Dunai patients.
    They could now only use Draxinon, a strong Force-suppressing medicine that can even kill when all midichlorians are put in hibernation and the patient is unable to cope with the loss of the Force.
    Eiaa, a mineral made into a medicine is found only in the ocean in the Kawtun trench, can wake hibernating midichlorians and is very difficult to collect.
    Draxinon is made out of the mineral draxin.
    Collecting of draxin can only be done manually and is taxing for the persons.
    Contaminated persons ingesting too much draxin could even die when all their midichlorians were dead, giving them a high fever.
    Improvement in the collecting of draxin came when Kaagi Adin – a Dunai elder and former Jedi-healer – had to don a three-layered suit to collect the Eiaa-ore. The suit protected fully from the hazards of the Eiaa-ore and became the means to collect draxin in the lake.

More about Draxin
    Mount Moniron is the name-giver of the planet. The Dunai elder discovered the dormant volcano after they were transported by the Sheir-Irel to their new home after their planet Dunai was destroyed by their sun going nova. The valley near to it is known as the Darrin valley. It is the only place to find the mineral draxin, the source to make the medicine draxinon, used as a Force suppressing drug during procedures. Draxin is a complicated chemical ingested by the plant that has given his name to the draxin. The tarba draxin with red fernlike leaves with blue bioluminescent patterns was once found on many places on Moniron but can now only be found in the darrin-valley. Rodents and their predators – the Darrin – had the mineral in their bones. The darrin were a reptilian species with vicious claws and wings. They became extinct 30.000 years ago when the Rakata on a quest to rule all the planets in the galaxy, landed on the edge of a large lake in shuttles coming from one of their capital ships with a hyperdrive powered by the Force.

The landing was difficult because the Darrin attacked immediately. It was the main nesting ground of the species. One of the shuttles – entangled with a large Darrin –crashed. None had survived. But the Rakata didn't care and didn't bury their dead. Geologically conditions were pointing to a volcano that would become active very soon. They killed all the Darrin with their weapons guided by the dark side of the Force and wondered why this wasn't as easy as they expected. The Force was muffled by something unknown. After killing the Darrin in the large nesting ground a group of scouts returned in a hurry urging the leader of the Rakata to leave. Waves of uneasy feelings had been battering away at the Rakata, plants and animals had fled and sudden flash-floods and rumbling of the ground had revealed to the Rakata scouts that the planet was geologically unstable. The Rakata took the eggs of the Darrin and left to begin their experiments with the eggs on Kreyfon, a planet steeped in the dark side of the Force. That planet was destroyed by the apprentice of Darth Plagueis.

More than thousand Darrin corpses were littering the hills near the valley. The volcano became active. It was the only active mountain in the region where a hot spot had once given birth to Mount Moniron. All other phenomena had been caused by the Dunai elder sensing the dark Force and hostile intent of the Rakata scouts. Lava-flows burried the Darrin corpses and the Rakata shuttle. The nesting ground was now a rock and crevasse streaked wilderness. A stream coming from mount Moniron was diverted for years to come and the large lake was filled with cooling lava.

But the last cool period in the history of Moniron had the glaciers on the mountains growing and the frequent volcanic action created new faults and streams gouging deep canyons in the former nesting ground.
    Bones of the Darrin became exposed, debris was carried by the flowing water towards the lava covered valley. A murky lake began to form and the minerals – responsible for the suppression of the Force – were deposited on the shores and in the lake.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Galactic Alliance Armed Forces:

Galactic Alliance Army (acronym GAA).

Basic History:

The Galactic Alliance Army was formed in the aftermath of the formation of the Galactic Alliance in the later years of the Yuuzhan Vong war. Seeing action on Ebaq 9, Yuuzhan'tar itself and dozens of other battles, large and small. It saw action after the war in pacification campaigns against Vong holdouts in the galactic north, and Peace Brigadiers, as well as stabilization operations; fighting piracy, delivering aid, and restoring civil authority in areas were local or even sector governments had entirely collapsed.

It saw some action during the Killik crisis, engaging the dark nest and was placed on full alert for war with the Chiss Ascendancy. During the Second Galactic Civil War, it saw very little action as that conflict was heavily navy centric. Plans were drawn up by the GAA Chiefs of Staff for ground invasions of major Confederate worlds, including Corellia itself, Bothawui, Fondor, and even Nar Shaddaa. Plans which due to the short duration of the war, were unnecessary.

It also saw action against the Lost Tribe four years later on Coruscant itself, during the tribe's ill planned takeover of the government. Nearly a century later, it saw heavy fighting against the Fel Empire, and its allies, including the Chiss, the One Sith, and secessionist worlds that had joined the Fels or simply declared independence.

General Combat Doctrine:

The GAA was formed during the height of the Vong War, and so cut its teeth engaging Vong warriors, Chazrach slave soldiers, and the Vong's innumerable biots. The Vong's fanaticism combined with their unconventional technology, gave the GAA limited experience against more conventional threats. However, it did gain experience. Experience in a certain style of warfare not easily replicated. The Vong were found to be best engaged with quick overwhelming force, and disciplined offensives-a common refrain being "the sharp scalpel pierces the crab armor, a dull bludgeon glances to the side". Though given the scale of the war, massed offensives did occur, which given the use of conscription was sustainable.

Engagement against the Killiks however did mean attrition warfare on the ground. Whereas the SGCW had little ground combat period and the Lost Tribe required heavy Jedi support to counter with the GAA engaging in blockade and support roles.

Due to this experience, the GAA has developed a doctrine based around flexibility-whether it is engaged to conventional Corellian soldiers, or alien terrors, it must be adaptable and dynamic, no threat is the same after all. Quick offensive pushes to the heart of the enemy's command structure, the aim being to overwhelm and destroy the enemy where his commanders are concentrated, his forces are weak, and his lines of communication vulnerable.

To achieve this, the GAA's soldiers are some of the best trained of the modern era in galactic history, with training periods upon enlistment going up to four years for the majority. Quality over quantity, the sword over the club, the scalpel over the hammer. This combat doctrine is based on the reality of the Galactic Alliance's size, and the fact that crises un responded too can quickly and have quickly escalated. The Vong War also revealed that well you can't prepare for what you don't know-alien threats from other galaxies, or the Unknown Regions could have any number of challenges unforeseen. So, the idea is to win wars quickly, and always to be flexible to changing situations.

This doctrine is emphasized throughout all levels of command-from the basic three-man squad to overall defense posture and war planning at the highest levels. Initiative, creative thinking, and a willingness to trust one's subordinates to carry out orders as they see fit are prized over conformity or strict adherence to military doctrine.

In terms of defense, the GAA emphasizes rapid deployment of forces to hot zones and holding the enemy in place until superior forces can be called upon to go on the offensive. GAA squads and platoons are expected to operate isolated in situations of invasion or encirclement, for periods up to six weeks, and are trained in basic defensive siege craft, sabotage, and hacking techniques. The worst disaster imaginable for the GAA is to have entire army groups or divisions cut off or destroyed at the start of conflicts. Which given, the GA's federal structure, and lasting memory of the Vong War is considered unacceptable.

General Equipment:

The average GAA infantryman is armed with a blaster rifle and holdout blaster pistol as well as a combat vibro knife. * Specialized units can wield anything from sniper rifles, to disruptors, specialized thermal grenades, as well as modulated armor that can withstand unenhanced melee weapons, all but direct vibro blades, and can even take blaster shots. Elite units have even superior armor protection. Models of such blasters vary but are generally the best available to the Galactic Alliance. It also is not uncommon for GA soldiers to use vibro bayonets for infantry charges in desperate situations, as the standard issue vibro knife, can be modulated to fit the muzzle of most GAA blaster rifles.

Mechanized forces include use of hover tanks and APCs, small to medium walker units, and heavy ground support platforms-which is a broad designation of vehicles that include everything from artillery platforms, tanks, and heavier walker units. Use of speeder bikes is also quite common.

Atmospheric forces use MATCs**-Medium Assault and Transport Craft, similar in design to the Clone Army's LAATs, but with a somewhat longer length. Such craft are used for dual assault and transport roles and are armed with a complement of blaster turrents, thirty-six guided rockets, 12 missiles, and two main blaster cannons. All of which can either be manned or operated autonomously, depending on the situation.

Specialized forces can also operate in Zero G environments, aquatic worlds, as well as in conditions of harsh radiation or lack of atmosphere (such as on worlds close to their stars, or even on asteroids). However, GAA officers and troopers are expected to operate in diverse environments, from deserts, to tundra, to urban zones, to underground caverns and caves. For this reason, they will be provided with the necessary equipment for this task.

Subdivisions:

The GAA as indicated above has multiple subdivisions.

Galactic Alliance Army Infantry Corps:

The backbone of the GAA. These men and women are the first line of defense and are expected to engage the enemy on the open field. Not the most elite, or given the shiniest toys, but still a highly disciplined and motivated force. Numbers around 100 million professional soldiers, but during times of war, can be mobilized into the trillions by calling on reservists, volunteers, conscription, and mobilizing sector and planetary defense forces. Unit strength is divided thusly, corps, division, brigade, regiment, battalion, company, platoon, and squad.

Galactic Alliance Army Armor Corps:

This includes all tank divisions and armored units. From sea borne amphibious landing craft, to urban walkers, to turbo tanks. This section of the GAA lives and breathes mechanized warfare, though it has seen relatively little action in recent conflicts. Its soldiers are expected to live, breathe, and dream machinery. Basic understanding of maintenance, repair, and materials science is required for all officers in this corps above a sergeant. Officers are expected to keep their vehicles in perfect condition and are also required to understand basic electronic warfare techniques, such as splicing, jamming, EMP attacks, among other ways their vehicles might be disabled or destroyed using electronic means. They are also expected to coordinate with both the Atmospheric Corps and Infantry Corps, combined arms are of course the standard. Whether the GAAAC is in a support role or leading the charge, it is the keystone on which all GAA combat operations succeed or fail.

Galactic Alliance Atmospheric Combat Corps:

This Corps is intended for in atmosphere combat, and makes heavy use of MATCs, as well as specialized atmospheric fighters and bombers. One of the less funded elements of the GAA, its role is primarily support, or search and destroy operations. It has the best relationship with the Galactic Alliance Navy, though its men and women consider themselves cut from a smarter cloth than the average infantryman, winning them little affection from the "grunts". This is due to the advanced training and requirements necessary to be in the GAACC. Outright perfect test scores, and near genius level innate intelligence are bare basic requirements to even be considered for recruitment. After this, extensive training in simulated environments, real environments, as well as hundreds of complex classroom tests are required to become so much as a MATC pilot. The washout rate is thus the highest in the Galactic Alliance Armed Forces, barring the Galactic Alliance Special Operations Corps. Pilots, engineers, gunners, and every other member of this corps is also constantly tested every three months-to demonstrate they retain their skillset. Failure to demonstrate maintaining one's competency means immediate discharge from the service (however this is not a dishonorable discharge, it is simply that strict and standards that high). For this reason, the men and women of this corps are legendary for their wild parties, when off duty, engaging in behavior (and taking substances) that would mean a general court martial for conduct unbecoming in any other branch of the GAA. It is however, tolerated, and any airmen or woman who feels they cannot keep up with the standard (due to illness, family, personal problems, or simple burnout) can be granted an early honorable discharge with no judgement or shame so long as they speak to their superior officer before a testing evaluation, as well as a final (and substantial) severance pay bonus. Such soldiers are kept as reservists for periods of up to ten years, and they are expected to return to service either for active duty or training roles in the event of major crises.

Galactic Alliance Special Operations Corps: These are the GAA's special forces. Tasked with infiltration, sabotage, assassination, HVI rescue operations, and guerilla warfare. These men and women are the best trained in the GAA, with training periods of up to five years, not including prior training. They can either apply or be recruited if they show promise. A minimum of five years prior service is required in any branches, of the GAA before consideration into entry is even given a single thought. Thus, GASOC soldiers generally have a decade of service under their belts when they are inducted. They train in harsh environments, often in the deep core, or remote moons in the Core and Inner Rim regions of the galaxy. They are all sworn to absolute secrecy, given the classified nature of their operations. These men and women are taught everything from surviving without air or water, for periods of a week or more, the handling of weapons from the common to the exotic(including captured Vong weapons), resisting interrogation, how to operate vehicles, droids, and computers, learning to speak multiple languages (Huttese is common, as are several alien languages in the Unknown Regions), they are trained for a multiplicity of scenarios, including waging guerilla warfare against occupying forces, leading civilian resistance movements, and even(unbeknownst to the Jedi) receive some training in countering force users, or at least learning how to survive fighting them. They are also given instruction in matters ranging from planetary geography and ecology to hyperspace trigonometry. They are also taught to think imaginatively, even to disobey orders in circumstances where such actions must be taken. They have the highest standards in the entire Galactic Alliance Armed Forces. Only 5% of all recruits make the final cut.

Specialized subsections:

Galactic Alliance Army Intelligence Division: The GAAID s separate from other Corps and is tasked with military intelligence. Possessing its own special operations teams, for commando work, as well as expert analysts for countering, surveilling, and preparing for any threat the GA might face. Including its nominal allies, the Remnant, the Hapans, as well as powers such as the Hutts, Chiss, and even has a special unit for monitoring both the Jedi and other force using groups. It works closely with the Galactic Alliance Naval Intelligence Division as well as the Galactic Alliance Intelligence Agency. Within the GAAID are multiple sub organizations devoted to everything from espionage, counter espionage, HUMINT, and think tanks which engage in planning and scenario construction even imagining theoretical enemies-the small Unknown Threats staff cell. Which both monitors the Unknown Regions and Galactic border for unknown alien threats, from either the Unknown Regions or other galaxies. It even dabbles in more exotic threats such as interdimensional aliens, time travel, and higher entities (beings like the bedlam spirits or Ones). No threat to the GA no matter how preposterous or fantastical is excluded. Their White papers have included such notions as all non-sapient life in the galaxy rising up against sapient species, stars gaining sapience, existential revelations that shock the fabric of galactic civilization (the existence for example of a supreme deity or that the galaxy is itself an illusion or simulation), to giant monsters that can walk in space, stepping on planets like pebbles. No matter, how absurd, they are expected to dream it up, and formulate protocols for how the GA would survive it. Other staff cells contemplate less unlikely but still outrageous scenarios-from a galactic droid uprising to a galactic revolution of the lower classes, to the re eruption of inter species conflicts over resources, to Vong revanchism, and Palpatine's return, or things such as a sudden explosion in force sensitives across the galactic population, or apocalyptic plagues. Anything and everything are considered. They are also masters at electronic warfare, propaganda, and counter propaganda operations, as well as a deep understanding of the intricacies of the galactic economy and galactic politics.

Galactic Alliance Army Aquatic Operations Corps: This smaller corps is specifically tasked with the difficulties of combat on aquatic worlds such as Mon Calamari or Kamino. They use specialized equipment, and they draw heavily from amphibian and reptilian and piscine species within the GA itself for operations at all depths.

Galactic Alliance Army Zero G Division: This division is tasked with fighting in zero G environments, on the hulls of ships in space, in deep space itself, near black holes, or otherwise in space. Works with the Galactic Alliance Navy and the Galactic Alliance Marines.

Galactic Alliance Army Extreme Environments Corps: This Corps is specialized in fighting in extreme environments, that are not survivable without special training and equipment. From radiation-soaked moons to worlds orbiting their stars at distances below 10 million kilometers. To icy asteroids orbiting gas giants, to deep caverns and tunnels and caves that burrow to a planet's core. These soldiers receive specialized training and are used in the rare scenarios in which combat either defensive or offensive is necessary in such environments.

Non-Combat Corps:

The GAA has several non-combat units beyond the already listed intelligence division. Everything from scientific research, to recruitment, to media relations, to logistics. Anything imaginable, has a non-combat corps devoted to it, if it serves the GAA in some way.

Statistics:

Around the time of 50 ABY, the GAA numbered 200 billion men and women in active service. With nearly five trillion reservists.

Average age is around 25 for active-duty soldiers. Average age of recruitment is 20. The GAA is at fifty one percent human and near human, with humanoid aliens comprising another thirty five percent of active-duty members, and non-humanoid aliens' fourteen percent. Average age of honorable discharge is thirty-five (including non-human equivalent life spans).

Basic rank structure:

Private
    Private First Class
    Corporal
    Sergeant
    Staff Sergeant
    Lieutenant
    Captain
    Major
    Colonel
    General
    Supreme Commander(head of the GAA)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes:

*I couldn't find much era specific information on Wookieepedia regarding blasters, I apologize for the generalities.

**Inspired from my fanfic, That Good May Come

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

We know frustratingly little about the Galactic Alliance's military structure, so I decided I'd fill out a fanon article. If people want more, I'd be happy to do a continuation or do similar guides for the Galactic Alliance Navy and other branches.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
  20. Gahmah Raan

Gahmah Raan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2015
    With the Felucia arc finished in Paranormalities, I thought now would be a good time to go into a bit more detail about the native sapient species. Even though the names are my own making, both species have basis in pre-existing lore (they've both been called "Felucian").

Native Peoples of Felucia

Kameksu

These diminutive reptilian humanoids were the first sapient species to be discovered on Felucia by Gossam settlers. Originally native to Felucia's relatively inhospitable mountain regions (relatively meaning they don't have as much plantlife as the rest of Felucia), the Kameksu also lived on a deposit of precious metals and made a name for themselves by developing (primitive by modern standards) steam-powered machinery. After making treaties with off-worlders, they were not only given resources to improve upon their homemade tech, they were also given starships so that they could join the galaxy at large.

Eventually, the Kameksu expanded beyond the mountains into more lush environments. A few groups of them have built settlements for farming nysillin, a highly-valued herb with medicinal properties. In fact, their part in the nysillin trade is one of a few reasons Felucia is a valued planet. Unfortunately, nysillin's value and relative scarcity (and the fact that it's usually grown on a hostile world like Felucia) means that the farmers are occasionally targets for pirates and crime syndicates. These underworld elements sometimes use nysillin as a "legal" alternative to spice mining (legal in the sense that, while they are using it to make the same type of drug, the Kameksu's nysillin farming is more ethical than most spice mines due to a lack of slave labor and much higher safety standards). However, some farmers received some combat and guerilla warfare training from Jedi to fight off these unsavory elements during the Clone Wars.

Despite their overtime technological advancements and some attempted pressure by the Gossam-owned Commerce Guild, the Kameksu - knowing just how valuable Felucia's natural resources are - made a point to avoid overindustrializing their trade so as not to spoil Felucia's natural environment, lest they run the risk of making nysillin impossible to grow. Unfortunately, during the later years of the Old Republic, the Commerce Guild used this as an excuse to deny them protection from pirates.

Because they were the first sapient species discovered on Felucia by the galaxy at large, a lot of beings took to simply calling them "Felucians" until the Dendroba were discovered. Even then, the name "Felucian" is often used in reference to the Kameksu, as they are the most frequently seen off-world of Felucia's two most notable species.

Dendroba

While the Kameksu previously originated in the mountains and made technological advancements over time, the amphibious Dendroba tribes are more in touch with nature and are frequently in tune with the Force as a result. They wear masks made of organic tendrils, have four arms (two of them ending in suction cups), paint themselves in bioluminescent dye, and are capable of firing a corrosive poison from their arms over a long distance. While the Kameksu have domesticated a few non-hostile creatures such as Tee-Musses and Gellagrubs, the Dendroba have been able to harmonize with many more of Felucia's flora (some of them semi-sentient) and fauna, including more aggressive creatures such as Rancors.

Discovered after the Kameksu, the Gossam colonists (and later, anti-alien Imperial propaganda) dismissed the Dendroba as primitive savages. Exploitation and persecution by these colonists led to a number of tribes becoming incredibly wary (if not straight-up xenophobic) towards off-worlders. However, they have gotten along well with Jedi thanks to their strong affinity for the Force, and there are rumors that a few that have left Felucia have even become Jedi themselves.

Because of their much higher embrace of nature, the Dendroba have a strained communal relationship with the Kameksu, despite the latter doing what they can to preserve the environment while trying to make a living. These relationships rarely get hostile however, and they usually keep distance from each other. In fact, they are willing to find common ground and form alliances when both of them are threatened by invaders or colonialists. While Dendroba have been stereotyped as savages for retaliating against the colonialists, they usually draw the line at harming children and sometimes adopt the survivors of their attacks into their tribes or send them to live in Kameksu villages. After the Yuuzhan Vong Invasion, they tolerated the influx of Ithorian colonists seeking a new home after their world was ravaged, especially since they had a similar affinity for nature and plantlife.

While the Dendroba have multiple tribes with a diverse set of values and cultures across the planet, one particularly overzealous tribe has led to some negative misconceptions about the species as a whole. The "One United Tribe of the World" (as if to insinuate that all Dendroba share their mindset; also called just the One Tribe by others for short), native to a region only known as the Forsaken Lands (which is heavily steeped in the taint of the Dark Side), is ruled by a group of highly xenophobic religious zealots. leading some of the other tribes to claim they are more of a cult than a tribe. Despite their claims of trying to avoid "corruption", most of them have fallen to the Dark Side without even realizing it.

The Forsaken Lands are also home to the Ancient Abyss, one of the largest and longest-lived Sarlacc specimens in the galaxy, thanks to a sustainable environment and a lack of subterranean predators that could prey on it once it permanently settled into a pit. This Sarlacc is large enough that it usually lets most sapient species walk on its gums without the fear of being targeted for consumption (they would be like gnats to it; hardly any nutritional value at this point in its life). The faith of the One Tribe has it that the Ancient Abyss is actually the maw of Felucia itself (unaware that the Sarlacc is actually an invasive species to Felucia), and the tribe frequently gives it "offerings", either as thanks for giving them a place to live or to keep it sated. However, with the Tribe's paranoia about the Dark Side (and again, their ironic slip into it), they are known to frequently throw those they think have been corrupted down the Sarlacc's throat in an alleged attempt to "purify" them. Despite a few members of the tribe discovering other smaller Sarlaccs on Felucia (some of them dead), a few more ambitious high-ranking members of the tribe have continued to peddle this belief to assert authority (such as a despotic Chieftain in the post-Empire era) and simply use this as an excuse for making examples of their perceived enemies (such as people from outside the tribe, dissenters against their rule, or for something much pettier). It is unclear if the One Tribe is aware of just how horrific the Sarlacc's digestive process is when making these sacrifices/executions.

Before the Ancient Abyss was corrupted by the Dark Side (and the rest of the tribe was driven mad as a result of it), the One Tribe (who didn't go by that name at the time) did not sacrifice living beings to the Sarlacc. They mainly offered the carcasses of large creatures such as Rancors or Acklays to the Sarlacc as tribute and only fed dead sapients (such as their own tribespeople) to it as a funeral ritual (their belief at the time being that they are now one with the world; thankfully, Sarlaccs are incapable of resurrecting the dead).

Those who've seen the Dendroba, but were unfamiliar with the Kameksu, have also taken to calling them "Felucians" (or more pejoratively, "Jungle Felucians"). However, those familiar with the Kameksu (and several disgruntled members of both species and other non-humans) cited this as another problem with naming sapient alien species after the planets they were discovered on.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: While the Kameksu had a bit of a blank slate to work with (both in Canon and Legends), I took some liberties with the Dendroba. The most notable liberty is making them into multiple tribes. If we're to integrate The Force Unleashed lore into Paranormalities lore, my headcanon would be that when Shaak Ti and Maris Brood were hiding out on Felucia, they were able to temporarily enlighten the One Tribe, even discourage them from making more sapient sacrifices to the Sarlacc (she would also be able to - given what I revealed about the Sarlacc in Paranormalities - rehabilitate it and only have it fed freshly-killed meals from now on). Then things went downhill when Shaak Ti died and the One Tribe slipped back into their bad habits (and got even worse than they were before she came). In short, they were only one tribe when it came to uniting against the Empire, and they fragmented once they realized the One Tribe was slipping again (and the saner members of that tribe joined into others).

Last edited: May 25, 2022
    earlybird-obi-wan likes this.
  21. FanonSock

Nov 11, 2014
    Happy new year to all! A quick update announcement for you:

Gahmah Raan has a new post on Native Peoples of Felucia (listed in the index as “Felucian Native Species” for ease of finding).

Also, what would you all think of another challenge sometime soon? Perhaps a basic fanon roulette, or “choose a fanon topic by someone else and write about it”? I have a few challenge possibilities “in the pocket” for this thread that I can look at again, too. Do let me know your thoughts and feedback! :cool:

Gahmah Raan and Gamiel like this.
  22. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    So, been quite a long time on my mind and now its finally, at least for the most part, here. My Fanon Article on the ORSF.
    Includes inspirations from Starcraft, W40k und Hearts of Iron amongst others:

The Southwest's Finest: The ORSF

The Outland Regions Security Force, short ORSF is the Eriaduan military that has existed from the first settling of the planet all the way up to the modern day, tough gone through various changes and reorganizations since then. This article mostly focuses on its modern day (Post Second Galactic Civil War) makeup but also includes mentions of earlier times.

Recruitment

In contrast to other militaries through the galaxy the ORSF is no conscripted force but solely made up of volunteers. Prerequisites to join include, generally, humans being born on Eriadu or one of its colonies, protectorates and dependencies, being at least 16 years old and having passed the necessary exams.

On Eriadu itself all lower and middle class children at put through rigorous testing while in school. Sport lessons include mock battles and other physical and psychological tests. Whereby the most promising children will receive an invitation to join the ORSF as cadets. As joining the ORSF offers far better job prospects, and pay, than that of a lowly factory worker this invitation is considered a great honor and rarely turned down.

On Eriaduan dependencies and protectorates people can apply to join the Force regularly. Being then put through a series of tests to see if they are up to the task. If they pass they will move to Eriadu to begin their training.

Meanwhile the ORSF officer corps is recruited from the Eriaduan nobility, were tradition holds it for many noble families to have their second child seek a military career while the eldest enters politics. Nobles are usually homeschooled and are thus put through other kinds of tests than lower class kids. Their exams placing a greater emphasis on intelligence and leadership capabilities. This also applies to the few upper class families that aren`t nobles tough their kids usually won`t get straight into officer positions.

In rare cases, exceptional individuals, outside of the Eriaduan sphere are allowed to join the ORSF, either temporarily for a campaign or as full time soldiers. Tough they are usually already experienced soldiers so they usually skip the usual years of training.

In 42 ABY the ORSF, in a historic move allowed near humans into their ranks, though at first only in non combat roles such as medics. That said the initiatives great success has lead to the expansion of it to regular forces just a year later.

Training

The ORSF training starts at 16 years old, yet at this point is integrated with normal school life. All cadets regardless of their background are placed into a single school. There they are given still regular lessons but also being taught discipline and proper behavior in addition to beginning their training. They are housed and clothed in simple uniform ways, which for some of the poorest recruits might be an upgrade over their usual living conditions while being a massive downgrade for the nobles.

The ORSF training philosophy often puts the recruits in front of near impossible challenges, training them hard for any kind of worst case scenarios. This amongst others include extensive melee training that most galactic militaries abandoned long ago. The idea being to have the cadets already having faced impossible odds in their training so often that real fighting will look tame by comparison.

While the High Command officially forbids rivalries and competitions between the cadets, they do have a long tradition within the force, as do all sorts of nasty pranks between the recruits. Any noted cases, as well as any other cases of disobedience are punished. Whereby the punishments usually involved humiliating the perpetrators. Usually forcing them to sweep the academies floors or take care of the cadets meals/laundry. Many of these punishments directly aimed at eliminating any pride and sense of superiority in the noble recruits. This causes many nobles to drop out during the training process.

In the final years in the academy the cadets are then split by their designation. Noble recruits and those from lower classes who proved themselves will begin their junior officer training, while the others begin with training in their specific battlefield roles (see below).

With about 22 the cadets have finished their training and are inducted into the ORSF proper, which takes places on the Central Square of Eriadu city, in presence of their families and important figures from military and government. Reciting the ORSF Oath:

I believe, before all else, in Eriadu, one, united, and invincible.
    I believe in my own strength and the strength of my comrades.
    When my hour of duty comes, I will stand shoulder to shoulder with my comrades.
    I will face the enemy without fear, and I will put my nation before my own life.
    I will be the sword and shield of Eriadu, by which justice will be done for the fallen.
    I swear this oath by my sacred Homeworld.

After the ceremony the recruits usually get a tattoo of the ORSF symbol somewhere on their bodies to underline their allegiance to their force. Whereby the exact space varies from person to person. (It should also be noted that many recruits tend to get drunk during the feast after the initiation ceremony leading to them getting them in quite intimate places at times.)

Uniforms

The ORSF traditional colors are Black and Gold, allegedly going back to the Pius Dea Crusaders. The usual clothing while at base or on duty, consists of black boots, black pants, tank tops, covered by a light sleeved black tunic, over which, depending on the position, pieces of armor will be placed above. Depending in the terrain fighting takes places the tunic and pants might be exchanged for fitting camo gear.

The dress uniform is black, with golden applications, generally the more gold the higher the soldiers rank:
    [​IMG]
    Colonel Ilona Malek in her Dress Uniform

Ranks

The ORSF has a pretty rigid and robust command structure with a clear hierarchy to ensure the loss of a commanding officer can instantly be compensated for by someone else taking their place.

The lowest Rank is Cadet, which the recruits hold during training, cadets are usually not expected to take part in active acts of war, tough their might be brought along for supportive roles during lower risk engagements.

Once finished their training the soldiers reach the rank of Private, which is in turn split in first, second and third class to denote the veterancy of the soldiers. They make up the vast majority of ORSF personal

Above the Private is the Sergeant, who is in charge of 5-10 Soldiers, depending on the position.

On Squad Level, about 50-100 soldiers, stands a Colonel in the Army, usually accompanied by a Lieutenant who serves as their second in command.

The Navy Equivalent to a Colonel is a Captain, who is charge of a single spaceship, usually accompanied by a First Officer (second, third... officers may exist as well depending on the size of ship and crew)

For the Army the next highest Rank is that of Brigadier General who is in command of several squads as part of a larger battle group. Each battle group in turn is commanded by a General.

For the Navy its similar as several Rear Admirals command individual parts of a Fleet overseen by an Admiral.

The Supreme Commander of the ORSF, generally keeps their previous rank of either General or Admiral. Tough their full titles changes to General/Admiral-Protector of Eriadu.

Branches of Arms

Infantry

The bread and butter of every army the ORSF infantry is well trained and equipped, generally used as part of defensive warfare, fighting from bunkers and trenches. Armed with blasters and combat knives, their equipment will be determined further by the current circumstances, up to including grenades, shovels, anti air rockets launchers, riot shields, retreater helmets, flamethrowers...

Outriders

Perhaps the most unusual Branch the Outriders are a cavalry formation, riding on the special bread of Eriaduan Equines that can charge as insane speeds and even take several blaster bolts before dying. The Outriders are armed with Vibro Lances to mow down smaller enemies, as well as blaster pistols and anti tank grenades. They are usually used for scouting and flanking operations, to scout the numerous worlds in the galactic southwest for pirate hideouts, without requiring the amount of spare parts and fuel a speeder based unit would require. That said the psychological effect of seeing a cadre of giant equines ridden by armored rides is not to be underestimated and proved itself both against Imperial Forces during the liberation of Eriadu as well the Yuzzan Vong...
    [​IMG]

Tanks

The Eriaduan Tanks and Walkers tend to be based on older models but have since then consistently upgraded to be on par, if not superior to their equivalents in other nations.
    [​IMG]

Special Forces

The Eriaduan Special Forces are technically a part of the Army (at least in terms of ranks) but also have consistent overlap with the navy as they are trained in both ground and space warfare. They are usually formed from the most rebellious recruits, those who don´t lose their spirits despite dozens of punishments in the academy. Free thought is more encouraged amongst them and their officers tend to have a looser grip on their soldiers. The Special Forces are given the best equipment and the most dangerous missions. Being expected to infiltrate the enemy, work for prolonged amounts of time independently from high command, while also fighting in the most crucial spots during pitched battles. The Special Forces are noted to received amongst the highest causalities of the ORSF but are also one its most praised units.

Fleet

The ORSF Fleet is, according to themselves, the most important part of the military as they keep it, and Eriadu´s various sister worlds together. Sailing the endless void they take an almost equal amount of praise to the Special Forces, which certainly only adds fire to the rivalry between Army and Navy.

The Eriaduan Fleet includes:

The light Starfighters Erlking and its heavier sister the Valkyrie
    [​IMG]

And the Titan Class Battleships, who are actually only about the size of an Venator Star Destroyer. But spot, in addition to a series of laser batteries, also the Kinetic Redeemer Canon.
    [​IMG]

Combat Doctrine (TBA)

Customs

Chaplains

The ORSF still spots a number of Chaplains within their ranks. During its first days their numbers were considerably higher. But as the religion of the goddess began to lose its position as near universal faith on Eriadu the number of chaplains has been reduced. These days there are usually only a handful to be found in each battle group, not one on/in every ship/squad as it used to be. The chaplains role is to mentor young soldiers, provide religious ceremonies before and after battle, oversee funerals and generally help with the soldiers morale.

Medics

ORSF medics are not recruited through the above method but instead from hospitals on Eriadu and then provided a quick soldier training to have them able to work in this environment. The medics are not expected to fight but carry a handblaster for protection.

Officer Swords

With reaching the rank of Lieutenant/First Officer, ORSF members are provided with a ceremonial blade, forged for them personally and balanced for their hand. These weapons both serve as status symbols and actual combat weapons. They are also used for ceremonial duels between officers. Fencing has a long tradition in the ORSF, and regular contests are held. This tradition goes back to Arien Redan, an ORSF Commander around 1400 BBY and one of the very few non Force Users to ever kill a Sith Lord in a personal duel.

Basilica of the Dead

On Eriadu exists a large basilica to honor all the fallen ORSF members since the creation of the unit. There on plaques of black stone their names will be placed in golden letters (the ORSF colors). The bodies are, if recovered, returned to their families, so this place is for their fellow soldiers to grieve. Only current and former (if discharged honorably) ORSF members are allowed to visit this place. The basilica is filled with hundreds of candles that are tended to by retired veterans. In-between the plaques are various glass murals depicting the goddess looking down on her subjects. The hall also includes a small chamber with empty plaques meant to honor the unknown soldiers.

Psychiatric Treatment

In contrast to other militaries all ORSF soldiers have a psychiatric and have to visit them regularly. So that any issues of the mind are treated and the soldiers are prevented from falling into depression. As many of these soldiers also are nobles the psychiatrics are under extreme surveillance and the punishments for giving away any private secrets are extremely high.

Gender Segregation

Possibly unique amongst the galaxies military, the ORSF segregates their soldiers by Gender in both Squads and on Ships. This is primarily done to at least cut down on romances between soldiers and especially unwanted pregnancies. This is largely based on the fact that in older days the church of the goddess forbade abortions, thus rendering female soldiers unable to return to combat. This taboo was dropped long ago but the squad staid gender segregated. Which in turn gave the ORSF a reputation for being something of a gay/lesbian military, a reputation that is certainly not entirely unfounded. Relationships between soldiers are not illegal, yet marriage is. However soldiers are allowed to marry persons outside the military. (Initially male soldiers were allowed to impregnate their wife's, while female soldiers were forbidden from getting pregnant while on duty. This marks the only time in their history that the ORSF came close to a mutiny. Especially as at first high command wanted to cut into the rights of their male soldiers as well in reaction. Eventually a compromise was settled in that female soldiers are allowed to leave for their pregnancy and sometime after, but are expected to return to the military afterwards and have the skipped time added to their time of duty. Men can also leave to help raise their kids under the same conditions.) Also the segregation can be suspended during war time to combine several squads/crews after losses were taken. Tough this is only a temporary meassure until reinforcments are provided.

Song

The ORSF usually uses the Eriaduan National Anthem during any official showings. Yet they also have a song to themselves that tends to be sung before battles and at meetings.

(Will probably do a full conversion of Lyrics at some point, but basically replace "Fatherland" with "Homeworld" and the references to the Tzar with the Goddess)

Timeline (TBA)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  23. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Confederation Ground Forces (Second Galactic Civil War)

The Confederation, sometimes called the Corellian Confederation retained substantial ground forces doing the SGCW. However these forces rarely massed or even saw direct action, both due to the brief nature of the conflict, as well as its heavily navy centric character.

No formal chain of command was ever completed, nor were various major worlds forces integrated beyond loose coordination. This is a list of some of the major worlds-ground forces.

Corellia:

Corellia placed much of its faith in its navy and in its operation of the galaxy's last active superweapon. However it did retain a sizable ground force. Largely drawn from Corosec officers, former Corellian navy shipmen, as well as volunteers. It was not nearly as mechanized as the GA's ground forces were, and was intended largely for defensive operations. Given Corellians' fractious and stubborn tendencies-this force was never the most disciplined, however it retained a uniformity in terms of uniform, rank, and generally weapons and equipment-though any and all resources were sought, whether it standardized or not. The Corellian leadership knowing if it lost the war-it would lose in space, did not put much hope in its ability to fend off a GA ground invasion. That said, if such an event had occurred, the Corellian defense forces would have likely put up ferocious, if not stalwart resistance(even if the outcome was of course inevitable in such a scenario).

Bothawui:

The Bothans are not known as ground soldiers, and indeed their ground forces played even less role in their leadership's minds than it did for Corellia. A sizable defense force did exist, one trained well in guerilla warfare and sabotage-Bothan intelligence agents and special forces were however the backbone of Confederate SF, and conducted most if not all specialized operations for the confederation throughout the war.

Fondor: A rich and industrialized world-it could field a sizable and professional force, one that was decimated by Caedus' bombardment late in the war. Focus largely on urban defensive operations, with a heavy anti orbital element.

Hutts: The Hutts occupied a single planet relatively late in the war, thus taking most of the real ground action. However total Hutt involvement was relatively limited. In total-the full might of the Hutt slave species-especially those three bound by the Treaty of Vontor could be fielded by the Hutts, as well as countless mercenaries, retinues, and hired guns. With other more ancient forces in storage back in Hutt space. However given limited Hutt objectives, these forces were never expected to be used beyond border defense and opportunistic seizure.

Conclusion: The Confederation retained ground forces, however these forces varied in quality and purpose, and in all honesty were not really used. With the SGCW being primarily a conflict of ships, the victor could bombard a planet into oblivion or surrender-for this reason ground forces were not especially important.

Last edited: May 22, 2022
    Findswoman likes this.
  24. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    I finally have stuff to add!

Archivists -

Archivists see themselves as the beating heart of the Temple. Their hallowed halls offer quiet solitude and respite for wearing souls and tumultuous minds. While Archivists are primarily responsible for the upkeep, archival and storage of the collective wisdom and history of the Jedi, they also serve other functions. Archivists see themselves as collectors and keepers of universal knowledge and thus they often visit other planets, both as cultural anthropologists, but also as botanists, paleontologists and linguists. Many archivists spend extended time in the field, acting as an outreach service for the Jedi and republic while also gathering, recording and evaluating the evidence they collect.

This role and lifestyle means that many Archivists become experts and this expertise is called upon not only by Jedi but by universities, politicians and recently companies looking to exploit, explore or create treaties with cultures on the outer rim.

Types of Archivists

Loremasters -

Loremasters mostly existed in early Temple history, recording the rules and edicts as laid down by the earliest practitioners of the Force. There has been much criticism of early Masters for writing down their teachings in florid script, with too many flowery and ambiguous words. This has meant that later Jedi have had difficulty in translating and interpreting the ideas. Some even point to the early Lore Master’s predilection for writing their work in poetry as one of the underlying causes of schisms throughout Jedi History. Lore Masters still exist, however, their job in the current period is more refined, often limited to finding, translating and restoring old tomes and holocrons of Jedi Lore. They also act as historians for the Temple and record, collate and archive the minutes of Temple meetings, committees and missions. In their more esoteric role, Loremasters spend much time in contemplation with the Force, seeking guidance and hoping to impart key wisdom about the mysteries of the Force to the rest of the Order.

Notable Lore Masters
    : Nimt Shrof was a Loremaster during the early days of the Jedi Order. Known for his long, winding and often flowery poetry, Nimt recorded many of the early edicts and the rules of the Jedi Temple including the rules about relationships and proper Master and padawan bonding.
    Shrof is also known for his long treatise about how different Jedi see and experience the Force, and suggested that these different ways of feeling the Force could be used to pair Jedi Masters with potential padawans in order to create the strongest bonds and help padawans develop their use of the Force. While Shrof's ideas have occasionally had a brief resurgence in popularity, many Jedi regard them as pseudo-science

Librarians

Librarians are the heart and soul of the Temple Archive and are regarded by many as being the backbone of the Jedi Order. Librarians store, retrieve and collate knowledge, answering queries by both Jedi and outside groups. Many Librarians argue that the Temple archive is one of the most complete resources of knowledge in the Universe, due to both the breadth of knowledge contained within and the fact that the Library has existed as a space for thousands of years. Librarians pride themselves on being able to find almost any piece of information requested; often needing minimal information to find this. Librarians work almost exclusively within the quiet halls of the Archive, although it is rumoured that there are ancient, secret pathways leading from the Archive to the other places within the Temple which a padawan archivist is only taught about upon their accession to the rank of Knight.

Notable Librarians:
    Jocasta Nu, a Force-sensitive human female, is a Master of the Jedi Order who serves as the Chief Librarian of the Jedi Archives. In this role, Nu is the primary caretaker of the extensive Archives, helping her fellow Jedi find the information they need while controlling access to several restricted vaults and artefacts.Although she is the Chief Librarian of the Archives, Nu was not removed from other Jedi affairs and has been a member of the Jedi High Council.

Cultural Ethnographer

Unlike the Librarians, Cultural Ethnographers spend very little time in the Jedi Temple, instead travelling through different planets studying the varied cultures they encounter on their travels. Ethnographers often spend years on one particular planet, or within a cluster of planets acting both in a research capacity but also as part of the Jedi outreach programs to deliver aid and education. Many Ethnographers report feeling uncomfortable on their return to the Temple, as the strictures of the Jedi Code are more consistently enforced. Conversely, the behaviour and actions of Ethnographers is often called into question by the Council and other Jedi who argue that they play ‘fast and loose’ with the rules. In this way Ethnographers find themselves very much like Hunters* in that they operate both in and outside of the normal codes of the Jedi. Many Ethnographers find themselves often drawn to the ranks of the Shadows, and are sometimes co-opted into Shadow Operations. * see Shadows - Hunters for more explanation of this group.

Notable Cultural Ethnographers
    : Davin Dor is possibly the best known Cultural Ethnographer within the current Temple Hierarchy. Dor’s travels have taken him through much of the outer-rim where he has forged strong links with some groups and convinced a notable number of rulers to join the Republic in either a full or allied role. Like many Ethnographers, Dor’s countenance and reported disregard for the rules of the Temple have often brought him into direct conflict with the Council. The most notable conflict concerned Dor’s role as editor for a line of popular romance novels about Jedi. Dor’s argument that he acts merely as a cultural guide to ensure that the Temple is not being maligned has brought him into conflict with some of the more dogmatic Jedi Council members who do not feel that this is appropriate behaviour for a Jedi Master. There have also been rumours that Dor is part of the Shadow Keeper faction within the Temple - a rumour he denies. see Shadows - Keepers for more explanation of this group.

Zoologists/Botanists -

Zoologists
    and Botanists are probably the least discussed group within the Jedi Temple. Although they would argue they are two separate groups, they are often lumped together. As their title suggests, this group studies the biological makeup of animals and plants found on different worlds. Despite the fact they are a relatively unknown group, they have contributed much of the knowledge to the Jedi Archive as well to the libraries of other notable Universities. Using their Jedi powers, Zoologists and Botanists can often reach spaces and collect specimens that no non-Jedi can reach. Their contributions mean that the Jedi Temple has one of the largest and most varied gardens in the inner-core, leading some to declare it one of the marvels of the modern universe.

earlybird-obi-wan likes this.
  25. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Shadows

Shadow Hunters

Those who hunt dark/fallen Jedi Hunters are formidable Force-users who often work outside the dictates of the Temple are called Shadow Hunters. They often find their methods and practice at odds with the directives of the Council. Therefore, this role is given to only the most experienced Shadows. The work they do often takes them to the darkest corners of the universe. Hunters often find themselves caught somewhere between the darkness and the light, with older, more experienced Masters teaching their students to separate the person they once might have known from the Dark Side that Jedi has now become. In the early days of the Jedi, and particularly after the fall of the Sith Empire, Hunters were tasked with either bringing back those Jedi who had fallen to the Dark Side, or eliminating the threat they presented. Modern Hunters, at least those who remain, keep records of those Jedi who have left the Temple, including their actions, associates and current lifestyle. This role is supposed to be unobtrusive, and about keeping the Temple safe from disrepute by ensuring those members who have left the Temple do not later go down a dark path. Some Hunters also work with Jedi who seem to be wavering, and particularly those who have experienced trauma but not been able to manage their transition back to the Temple in an easy or expected manner. These Hunters often work with the mind-healers to create a plan for the vulnerable Jedi, or take on the Jedi to ascertain whether they are a danger to themselves or others.

Notable Hunters - Saelyra, one of the many Miraluka Jedi who inhabit the Temple, became a Shadow Hunter after training under Jedi Master Davin Dor, a notable cultural archivist and rumoured Shadow Keeper. Saelyra keeps off the Temple and the Council’s radar, knowing that her unorthodox methods cause consternation for more dogmatic Jedi Masters. Saelyra travels lightly, bringing only her lightsaber, clothes and cloak with her on a mission. However, it is also rumoured that she will not go anywhere without a small selection of teas as, she insists, nothing stops a Jedi from falling further to the darkside then a strong cup of tea with plenty of sweetener.

Shadow Finders

Those who find lost Jedi (captured/enslaved/killed) Shadow Finders are often deployed in small groups to find and retrieve Jedi that have been captured, enslaved or killed on a mission. These groups often see their role as Shadow Finder as secondary to their normal place within the Temple hierarchy. Therefore, these Jedi come from a range of backgrounds including Healers, Consulars and Guardians and are deployed as such - using the strengths of their teammates to quickly, quietly and unobtrusively retrieve the captured or injured Jedi. Shadow Finders walk more closely to the light than their Shadow brethren and often join as a way of giving back to the Temple.

Shadow Keepers -

Those who find artefacts Keepers often travel deep into the wilds of the outer rim and unexplored planets to find holocrons and other items left from ancient wars, and particularly those items left from battles between the Jedi and the Sith. Shadow Keepers often work closely with the Archive to ensure that powerful items are kept out of reach of those who would use them for evil purposes.

In the past the Temple has been accused of stealing cultural items in the name of ‘protectionism’ without understanding the importance the local culture places on those items. The Temple has denied that this has occurred and has fiercely defended their practices, arguing that these items were given freely. Strangely, Shadow Keepers have faced complaints when notable items have disappeared from wealthy collectors, often appearing several years later in the Temple Archives or back in the homeworld from which they were originally taken. Again the Temple and Shadow Keepers deny involvement, instead arguing that they used appropriate channels to repatriate items where appropriate.

Notable Keepers -
    Davin Dor, famed Jedi Cultural Archivist and editor of several Jedi Romance collections, has often been rumoured to be part of the Keepers. Dor’s activity in, or near, areas that have rumoured sith artefacts seems to lend credence to the idea that he is involved in this organisation. Dor denies any involvement, arguing that this is mere coincidence.

Shadow Gatherers -

Those who go undercover to gather information, Gatherers are the most secretive group within the Shadows. These Jedi take a long term approach to gathering intelligence for the Republic or the Temple itself. They often take on elaborate cover stories and personalities, seemingly funded by the Temple. Gatherers often work to break trafficking or drug rings, working closely with local law enforcement in the guise of their alter-egos. Many Jedi either don’t believe that Gatherers exist in any great numbers, or frown upon the idea of a Jedi hiding their true nature for any extended period of time. Those few Gatherers who go on record, often argue that their practices help to keep the Republic safe by ensuring that the Temple and the Government has enough information to make informed, reliable decisions that will benefit the Republic as a whole. There are some unverified reports that Gatherers are the Jedi who fall most frequently to the Darkside given the nature of their jobs.

Notable Gatherers - T’lor Kaden is a Gatherer assigned to a deep-cover mission to infiltrate and dismantle a criminal network involved in the trafficking of Force-sensitives. Her cover identity, Laren, has been useful to the Temple on many occasions although it has cost her significantly.