main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    One of my favorite things to do when re-reading is to follow the story as told by a specific character’s experiences and narrative. It’s also been fun to do the podcast for Tolkien study because we use a different theme for each chapter. I did it for two books before my cohost started being able to come up with them and using the theme has gotten me to look at his books in different ways.

2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Pfff, what a weird afternoon and night. First, the lady next door (like, on the other side of the wall) calls and says that she got vaccinated with the Chinese vaccine and that she can't wait for mid-April or so, so she and mom can finally hang out like they used to. And then she adds that they "carried somebody in a bag" from our building two days ago, and that there was an ambulance.

I assumed that only one person could have died, since it's not the lady who's been isolated since mid-2019, from the ground floor. There's this woman who has not gone out since the 1990s and her relatives visit her 2-3 times every week. I went to the funeral website for all graveyards in the city and there is no sign of her name and her pretty unique last name. So, it's either that they took her to the hospital because she was infected and needed to be isolated, or that the student who saw it going on is completely clueless.

And then I had some sort of a flashback of September 2019, when they took away the woman living below us, who used to torment us and who got the whole building in this horrible death. For some reason, her whole family was there when the undertake came to take her away and they all followed the coffin. Judi and I bumped into them in the hallway...

...then one of the undertakers bent over, still carrying a coffin and was like: "Awww, you are such a cute little dog, aren't you?"

I was so confused. Like, death was a part of his day job, and he had to look at a cute dog and pet her...with seven people following him and his co-workers, some of them crying. My dog was something he didn't want to miss. O_O O_O O_O

And after all this, I had a bizarre nightmare involving a man who killed 60 people at a party in an apartment and then some on the street. And that kind of stuff does not happen here. I legit shook for a couple of minutes when I managed to wake up.

I think I need a nice day in general.

This is precisely what got me back into reading books. I...have not read a proper book in 2018, 2019 and 2020. After re-reading the same book for two months, it's no longer an issue.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  3. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Thanks @Gamiel. I was reading up about bonsai from seed yesterday, and it seems that before I can start pruning and shaping I need to let the trees grow for a year or two, preferably in the ground, so that they can get a nice thick trunk and don't look like a skinny stick in a pot. I guess I'll put the baobabs in the garden for the summer and dig them up in winter, but I need to check first that they don't behave like yuccas where the tiniest bit of root left in the soil means that they'll come back – because our garden certainly isn't big enough for one, let alone two, baobab trees.

This baobab business is turning out to be more than I bargained for. I was expecting them to grow a bit stunted, seeing as this isn't a tropical climate.

Reading for me was the first activity requiring concentration that went out of the window with the lockdown. I should try your trick @Briannakin and re-read stuff that I know well already; hopefully that will work. By now I'm finding it difficult to focus even on movies, hence all the talk about plants.

AzureAngel2 and Jedi Knight Fett like this.
  4. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Ugh. The whole thing I talked about just got a dark turn.

TW: grim theme

Somebody committed suicide in the tiny studio apartment above our kitchen. :(

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Oh, that's a grim turn. Sad to hear.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  6. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    We are kind of freaked out because mom was apparently in the kitchen at the time it happened.

And since I go out every day, I definitely saw him a couple of times, said hi and all. He was not there for long and he didn't strike me as a depressed person.

7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    How awful.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I am sorry to hear that. Hope your doing okay. Plus anyone who knew the guy or gal.

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  10. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Spent yesterday in emergency with master 2. Reactive airway disease was the diagnosis. Basically asthma in the under sixes. He’s fine now and we were discharged after about 5 hours (record for us).

He’s not allowed at daycare today and now he’s devastated because he doesn’t ever want to stop doing stuff - even when he can’t breathe...

DarthIshtar likes this.
  11. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Oh, please hang in there. All of you!

Had a child like this in one of my groups ages ago. [face_good_luck]

12. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    ^^ This! I'm beginning to feel that someone gave the evil eye to people posting in this thread. Virtual hugs all around!

13. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    @Gamiel, this looks like heartburn + peptic ulcer waiting to happen. Mostly because of the amount of almonds and the milky thing it's dipped in in some variants of the rcipe. Tempting, but after seven years on metformin...I don't know. I went through a phase where I was literally triggered by mentions of fatty food here - which I wholeleartedly apologise about and yes, I like fried and yes, I eat it. Then I went through a phase of eating everything. And ever since mom had her gallstones taken out I realised that some things cause me this weird ache on the bottom of my oesophagus.

In other words, I'd try it, but with some serious medicine ready.

Our lent is more strict, as it bans all dairy. If I were religious, I would never take part - for that sole reason. Moreover, for the communion, people eat food cooked on water for a week. And then everybody takes holy water with the same spoon, which has been a subject of debate over the course of last eleven months...as if it had not been gross before.

@Kit' , I assume this is a child? Hope he will be OK. :(

14. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Yeah it’s my youngest kid who today woke up perfectly fine. Now he’s bouncing around the house desperate to go out. We had a COVID test (because even though e have no cases you can never be sure) which came back negative this morning which was good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    My company just went through a merger and didn’t let us know that they were planning on sending us bonuses as appreciation for our work during the transition over the past few months. So I freaked out when I woke up $461 richer this morning without explanation and quickly got the info from HR.

Update: I decided I should spend $350 on a countertop dishwasher. I posted about it and a friend immediately texted me to say “we just moved and have a spare dishwasher. If you want it, it’s yours.” So I’m getting a regular dishwasher for free. I love my friends.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  16. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Glad he's feeling better Kit!

Nice! I lived somewhere for 5 years without a dishwasher. I always thought I wasnt going to be living there that long to justify getting a countertop one (there was no room for a regular one). Looking back on it, I should have just bought one when I moved in. Thankfully now Im living somewhere with a built in dishwasher.

Today has been one of those days at work that has just been painfully slow. I have a list of things to do, but I need other people to finish their stuff (or our volunteer IT guy to give me access) so I have just been trying to find stuff to keep me occupied. I have just over an hour left and I don't want to sort through our photo drive anymore. I've been listening to an audiobook while I do this, but the day has still dragged on forever.

17. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Dishwasher has arrived.

Jedi Knight Fett and AzureAngel2 like this.
  18. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm so sorry to hear about your upstairs neighbor, EP. That can be really disconcerting and upsetting when it's someone you've seen around.

Kit- I'm glad your son is feeling better, I know that can be really scary! They typically won't diagnose asthma at such a young age because a lot of time it goes away and doesn't become asthma. I hope that is the case for your kiddo!

Yay for bonus and a free dishwasher, Ish! When I didn't have one I found I was way less likely to cook because I didn't want to wash all of the dishes because I think I'm incapable of not using every dish and pan in the house. lol.

19. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Doing my massive thanksgiving dinner without a dishwasher has been hell. So many serving dishes and mixing bowls.

20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    That is how we'll be getting a new washing machine. We just need to organise transport from my friend's place, get the handyman to connect it and get the cash-for-trash folks to carry away the old one.

I feel like an alien now - we never owned a dishwasher! Or a microwave. Having those two at home just never crossed my mind as a, you know, thing. And now I legit wonder where I would hook up a dishwasher, as our kitchen has three doors, of different sizes, and the balcony ones are double doors. I always wanted to rearrange everything in some happy future after the debt is no longer a thing, move the sink to a wall that is not in front of the said balcony doors.

Some people solved it by connecting kitchen and pantry to get more space, but I would not be up for that, especially now with the bedrooms of the new building that sprouted up in place of this old house facing the said kitchen. But then I think, whoever ends up in that studio apartment on the floor above us (that floor has a different layout) will always, always be looked at as the said kitchen is the studio's living space.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  21. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    When I was a missionary in California, we lived in an apartment that had room for a bunk bed and a desk and a small bathroom. Inside the only door was a stovetop and refrigerator with a microwave on top. The microwave wouldn’t heat things. The refrigerator stopped working so we’d come home to food that gave us food poisoning. The stove would take the entire lunch hour to heat water to a boil. One day, the regional leader of the missionaries told us we should be grateful that we didn’t have to ride bikes in the 100-degree heat and I responded that we’d find a way to ride bikes if we could get a working stove. He had no idea that we were without a working anything in the kitchen. That night, some of the other missionaries brought over a new microwave and a countertop stove. I put a cheese sandwich on the stove just before we started our nightly prayers and didn’t think anything of it because those usually took about ten minutes and that was how long it would take for one side of the sandwich to heat. Well, I finished one prayer and looked up to see my sandwich glowing like a coal because this stove actually worked. When I moved six weeks later to another city and an apartment where one of the two bedrooms was the size of our entire apartment up north and we had a stove AND an oven, I was so disoriented. It was all about how I became used to having to work around what we couldn’t use.

Jedi Knight Fett and Gamiel like this.
  22. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    This is kinda rambly rant but today has been kinda one of those "What the hell?" days.

First, I am soooo sick of package delivery drivers just sticking up the "sorry we missed you" notices in the lobby and not even attempting a delivery. The enterphone/buzzer is connected to my cellphone - I know when people buzz me, even if I'm not home (and I can still let them in). I know rushed delivery drivers is a bit of a problem right now, particularly when it comes to condos/apartments but I swear I've just had a really long string of bad luck (needless to say I have to go pick up a package tomorrow despite being home at the time of the attempted delivery.

Second, I had a delivery completely not show today. I get a meal-prep delivery service (like hellofresh but this one is Canadian) and normally it's super easy - I leave the previous week's empty cooler bag outside my suite door and they come swap it with a full one with this week's meals. This weeks never got delivered. I called and apparently, the person couldn't find my building? Hasn't been an issue with this service in nearly 18 months. They cant attempt another delivery due to food safety reasons so I'm getting a refund (and I guess it's frozen meals for me this week - but I'll use this as an excuse to order out a few more times than normal). BUT the WEIRDEST thing is that the empty cooler bag I left out is gone???

Finally, I don't normally work Mondays but I was asked to this evening to meet with a new client and take them bike riding along with some volunteers (most of our programs are volunteer-run). Volunteers showed up but the client never did. Eventually after over a half our of us waiting and me trying to reach the client, we gave up. But rather than waste a beautiful sunny evening, we went cycling anyway (I'll count the half hour of waiting as work, but I wont count the ride itself). We dont nomally make it from our usual starting point to the end of the cycle path (at the lake), but today we did. 18kms total. I kinda hurt, but I wanna do it again!

23. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Yay for free appliances! I need to get our maintenance guy to come and check on our dishwasher, because it's making funny noises. Doing the dishes has got to be one of my least favourite activities and I really don't need it to break down right now.

I spent the weekend doing the big spring clean-up of our flat and I want to file a complaint with the Department for the Distribution of Household Dust. Why OH WHY is there always a ton of dust under the solid wood chest of drawers that's so low on its feet you can't fit the vacuum cleaner underneath it and you have to heave and push and hurt your back to move it? Whoever set up this world did something very wrong here.

Also, Chyntuquita's Adventures in Gardening, the spinoff: a while back, when we were looking after the plants outside, she wanted to remove a few spider webs and I told her that spiders are a gardener's best friends because they keep pests at bay. She took my advice to heart and I found out yesterday that she has been rescuing spiders from around the house and garden and keeping them in a jar in the back of her closet.

I need this kid to stop taking things so literally.

DarthIshtar likes this.
  24. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    O________________________O

One of our burners does this kind of stuff, ever since that new building sprouted. I have no idea how that could impact anything, but it does and it's very disturbing. I'm frying some comfort food, dough stuff, it won't heat up no matter what and then, suddenly...I have a piece of COAL in hot oil.

DarthIshtar likes this.
  25. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    That’s so frustrating with the deliveries. I had a photograph I took from a boat off the coast of Boston at sunset enlarged and printed on canvas for my parents in 2019. My dad really liked the photo and my mom misses living there. Well, 2019 FedEx claims that their address doesn’t exist while delivering three other packages to that address on the same day. I contacted the site that did the canvas wrap and they refused to have it sent out for delivery again. Said that it couldn’t be refunded because FedEx then marked it as delivered to a different address. Told me they’d refund it if the recipient returned the package, but fedex then changed the status to returned to sender. It never got returned. One year later, the same site asked me to order with them and I responded that after a year, I had neither a refund nor the product. They panic offered to reprint it and send it to me for free this time. I gave them my address. They fedexed it to my parents’ address and said “whoops! Well, it’ll be returned and we’ll send it.” I told them to refund me the original order, cancel the new one so I could get it done by more honest people. No response. A month later, in January of THIS year, my mom asked me the story behind a picture she just got. I thought she meant a postcard I’d sent a week before, but she sent me a picture of the photograph that I’d had printed. So that’s the story of how it took FedEx 14 months to deliver a package against my wishes. And the company printed it wrong (portrait instead of landscape so the massive skyline was just in the middle of the bottom edge and the canvas was 90% the amazing sunset that made me take the picture in the first place).

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021