main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Our PM just announced the new restrictions - no business will be allowed to work until Monday morning at 05:00, other than grocery stores, supermarkets, newspaper kiosks, pharmacies, post offices, presumably banks and gas stations. The crisis council asked for two weeks of this regime, she says that they will check the data again on Monday and decide if they're going to continue for another week or not. My mom wanted to go get her monthly dye job at our cheap local hairdresser's on Friday, looks like she'll have to wait until further notice.

Mind you, we have one third of population vaccinated.

And for some odd reason, she expressed sympathy for musicians and concert photographers. Well, thanks, now give me money. :p

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    LOL. That’s quite the demographic. I hope this helps in some way. I’m getting my first dose in 4 hours and 40 minutes.

3. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Ugh. This cycle of restrictions - more restrictions - no more restrictions - new restrictions - extra restrictions - super plus restrictions feels like a never-ending story. Vaccinations are progressing at a snail's pace here, so we're in this for the long haul. @DarthIshtar I envy you, you have no idea.

4. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    My 20 year old college student son who has no job and is fully supported my his parents (apartment, car, insurance, food, gas, Internet, etc) thinks he is getting a $1400 stimulus check tomorrow. :p

I told him it is probably going to me and his dad since he is a dependent on our taxes.

We are not his favorite people around now. I guess if the government sends the check directly to him I'll let him keep it.

What would you do? Keep it or give it to the kid that is costing you about $1400 a month for the last two years?

AzureAngel2 and DarthIshtar like this.
  5. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    This is just me, but I'd let him have it with a side dish of teaching him about savings and financial and retirement planning. You might be able to find a place with a $1,000 minimum to open an IRA.

6. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Yeah...he has already told me he couldn't wait for the stimulus to arrive since he and his friends are going to party with all the money. :rolleyes:

His dad told him when he starts paying for tuition, rent, utilities, car payment, and insurance he could have it. [face_thinking]

Still, if he gets it sent directly to his account I will let him have it. Otherwise he needs to convince his father to fork it over.

AzureAngel2 and jcgoble3 like this.
  7. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    [​IMG]

Uhhhh. I'm all for giving broke college kids money.... but maybe not give them a pandemic relief check if they are going to do use it to spread the pandemic with it.

Went out and grabbed the package that I "missed" yesterday, then I actually went into my office to work. It was really nice... cathartic almost: the three of us employees basically just complained and ranted about the drama that's going on at the board/upper management level. Our AGM is tomorrow. Staff have to attend even though we dont have a voice and cant vote on matters, so we have made up a drinking game for the occasion. The AGM is on Zoom in the evening so it's not like any of us have to drive afterwards (I'm kidding, we are saving the drinking till afterwards).

AzureAngel2, mavjade and jcgoble3 like this.
  8. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
  9. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    @Jedi_Lover: I just did a bit of research, and according to this article the checks for students aged 17-21 who are claimed as dependents will be sent to their parents.

It looks like there might be a glitch in that party planning.

AzureAngel2 and jcgoble3 like this.
  10. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I wouldn't call him broke. I gave him a credit card so he can purchase food, gas and go out skiing or whatever. He will probably just take the money and buy another lightsaber and I'll end up paying for another Urgent Care visit for a second dueling incident.

Yeah, he is not going to be happy. lol! It must be tough being a 20-year-old having his parents paying for his college, room & board, all living expenses and he has a credit card I pay off. I hope my son doesn't score an interview with Oprah to complain about this outrage. :p

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    SKIING?! Yeah, you are way more charitable to your kids than my mother was to me during my university days. Keep the money and invest it for him.

12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I’d give him a specific amount and let him make his dumb decisions with that amount, then have already invested the rest. When I was 16, I got mailed a $15000 check because of a legal settlement from 1985. I was bitten by a dog and the owners offered to send me money when I was 16. My parents used it for my education, which was fair because they both worked hard to give me excellent opportunities. But it was fun to hold the check and deposit it at my bank.

13. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    I say take the money and run, @Jedi_Lover. Especially if your son goes skiing on the credit card you gave him!
    I wish I could do this with Chyntuquita. Unfortunately she just hauls her father around by the nose, so things usually happen the other way around in our house.
    I'm going to need some of that. The nasties are multiplying like nobody's business already (I'm assuming that's because we didn't have much of a winter this year other than that freak snow storm that lasted for all of 24 hours) and I keep having to mix various concoctions to spray the plants. I did release Chyntuquita's pet spiders on the balcony though, so I'm hoping they'll help out.
    That was one *very* expensive dog bite! :eek:

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  14. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    It cost a lot in medical bills because of muscle damage, so I had multiple surgeries to repair it and had therapy, apparently.

AzureAngel2, Chyntuck and Gamiel like this.
  15. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Ouch! When I saw "I was bitten by a dog" I interpreted it as, you know, a dog bite, not getting mauled. Sorry about that. (I'll add that in this scenario 15000 USD for compensation doesn't feel like quite enough!)

AzureAngel2 and Gamiel like this.
  16. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    It was a cocker spaniel named muffin. I was just 5, so had a bad bite. It took me four years to like dogs again, but that was because our neighbors had huge dogs and they chased me into a tree once so I couldn’t make it to the schoolbus and my mom had to come find me. But I also had a dog for 14 years and loved her lots.

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Because I'm Gamiel, and I thought some here might find this fun and fitting for the day:

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  18. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Thanks. I had two nightmares last night and then this. :)

AzureAngel2 and Gamiel like this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I have heard dependents can get a stimulus check, but I don’t know the full parameters around it other than being over 17 and your parents or whoever your the dependent of having to also qualify for the checks. So he may get it. Although I would not know.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  20. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I remember being in college when there was a few hundred dollar economic stimulus check sent to everyone. I had a job so I thought I'd get it, but since I was a dependent child, I did not. I thankfully never said anything to my parents as they probably would have laughed since they were paying for college, a car, insurance etc. and I'd still be hearing about it today. :p

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I’m currently in my work's AGM and I’m honestly falling asleep. Thankfully I have avoided turning on my camera so I can just lay in my bean bag chair. But at least my coworkers and I have a... colourful text commentary (and betting pool) going on.

EDIT: THANK GOD that's over. It was supposed to run 2 hours and it was done in 1 hour and 15 mins. I've had to endure 3 AGMs this month from various organizations and I have one more to go, the dreaded condo strata AGM at the end of the month (and there's no way I'm doing that one sober).

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    amidalachick and AzureAngel2 like this.
  22. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    This. It's a nice compromise.

Also, our stimulus this year will be... 30€ in May and 30€ in November. You can't even get weekly groceries and other things for that money, they're absolutely nuts. Last year in June everybody got 100€ at once, which was OK to patch an unexpected hole in the budget. But this? It's literally not.money. We tend to run out of everything every now and then and end up with just pasta shapes, meat, a couple of carrots and parsnips, bags of tea, condiments and such and that's always welcome a couple of days before mom's pension as nearly everything I earn goes towards the debt... but seriously, 30€?

@Briannakin just reminded me of the SEO workshop thing on Friday evenings. It's organised by a private FB group called Girls in SEO and everybody is from this area - but they all talk so, so, so much and it can last up to two hours. I was in the first one and I felt drained afterwards. And I'm the kind of a person that has the Zoom call on the laptop and immediately tries tools on the desktop if they are free, takes notes etc.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  23. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Woke up thinking today was Saturday.

It is not Saturday.

Basically, so far the rest of the day is equally disappointing.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  24. achanes

achanes Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 21, 2016
    [​IMG]
    I did not know this thread was a thing. I should have, considering the amount of fanfic I read...

25. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Welcome, @achanes! Hope you're not allergic to bunnies or cats; they pop up frequently here.

I'm still with my parents. Dad finally saw the oncologist & they took a biopsy. Some sort of follow-up/surgery is scheduled for early April and their 2nd COVID vacc is next week. He hates using the walker, hates slowing down. The surgeon stitched up that open wound, though, when they took the biopsy, so not as much bleeding as there has been and I think that's lowered his stress level. Hers, too. So I'm doing what I can to help out, though I do have to go back to my own home next month, if for no other reason than I need my car inspection done!

DarthIshtar and mavjade like this.