main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One After Rogue One, what's the best viewing order?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Kuestmaster, Dec 21, 2016.

1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Nah, I see the Saga as 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 - but I prefer to add Rogue One inbetween 3 and 4 if I'm doing a marathon. I'll skip Solo in the future though, as I didn't think it fit last time I watched the Saga all the way through.
    It'd be fun to watch all the (live action) stuff in chronological order at some point, but it'd have to be spread out over at the very least a week.

2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I mostly agree with the above. For me the Saga is 1-9, and can either be watched in release order or episodic order depending on whether you want to see the story unfold as it was told, or as it linearly occurs. Both work and are satisfying in different ways, in my experience.

I find Rogue One is too tonally and stylistically distinct to really fit in with the others as a satisfying interlude, to say nothing of the difference in narrative focus. Ultimately, I prefer to let the standalone films, well, stand alone. Rogue One is its own thing, with Andor as a TV spin-off. In the same vein, Solo is its own thing, with Lando as (presumably) a TV spin-off.

3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I mostly agree with this, but Rogue One does one thing that makes it work as a "part" of the Saga for me, which is the reintroduction of Vader in the OT time frame. After the tragedy of ROTS, just having Vader walk in through a door in a relatively flat shot is a bit underwhelming (one of the few issues I've had with watching the films in chronological order). In Rogue One we have Mustafar, then the Bacta tank, then the shadow on the wall, then finally Vader walking in in silhouette. It's just a more dramatic entrance, and with ANH taking place immediately after RO, his entrance in that film isn't as anti-climactic.

4. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I really enjoy watching RO and ANH back to back together

but, if want to watch the entire OT then I just watch the OT, no RO

5. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019

I would watch whatever I feel like watching.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    You're not doing it right. It's supposed to keep you up at night. You should be diagramming all of the possible options on a big whiteboard. :p

7. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    We don't watch these movies because we "feel like watching," we watch them with the same sense of strict, regimented obligation and devotion that compels people to attend midnight mass. To paraphrase the Mandalorian, "I'm a Star Wars fam. Viewing orders are a part of my religion."

8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    "Neither shalt thou watch R1 save that thou proceedest immediately unto watching Ep 4 to followed sequentially by Eps 5 and 6, save that thou wield the Holy Machete and watchest 2 and 3 in the midst of 5 and 6. Ep 1 is right out."

9. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    The wars between the Chronologicals and the Production Order were devastating. Countless fans were lost. #NeverForget

10. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
  11. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019

This is a joke . . . I hope?o_O

12. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, of course it is.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Joking about the holy viewing order?? Heresy! Grab the torches and pitchforks!

14. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    What?! No, it's deadly seriousness!

OK, yeah, no, of course it's a joke.

Darth__Lobot and EHT like this.
  15. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Viewing order is sacred. Viewing order is great. If a viewing order is wasted, George gets quite irate.

16. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    That's it. It'll be medical experiments for the lot of you.

17. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    I agree - Ive tried numerous "machete edits" and ways to watch the movies. Of course, if you watch them with a newbie then always watch them in release order so the secrets and reveals are maintained. Once you've seen them like thousands of times as I have then I like straight chronological with R1 sandwiched between EP3 and EP4 where it fits perfectly.

Solo is honestly the only SW film I have only seen once and never owned on disc & never will. I really disliked it a lot. Doesnt fit & doesnt work for me at all.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    KyloLukeLeia likes this.
  18. MaverickJedi85

MaverickJedi85 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 16, 2019
    Rogue 1 has to be seen exactly as what it is: an extended prologue to Ep IV that came out of nowhere in 2016, and which connects ANH a lot better with Ep III ROTS.

SW '77 is now 4 hours long.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  19. StardustSoldier

StardustSoldier Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 24, 2019
    In general, I tend to feel that release order is the best for first-time Star Wars watchers, while chronological order works better once you've seen all of the films at least once. Even for how nicely Rogue One ties into A New Hope, as has been pointed out, the former film doesn't stand as well by itself, whereas ANH does. Since it was the only film to be made before Star Wars was ever popular, so it truly is the perfect introduction to the franchise.

So with that said, I feel the best order here is to go from the original trilogy, the prequel trilogy, and then Rogue One, essentially treating it as another prequel film.

20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Rogue One stands completely fine by itself. It’s entirely self-contained, apart from the brief oblique reference to Obi-wan by Bail Organa. It is obviously a direct prologue/ companion to ANH, but based on how it was written, it does not need ANH. It’s a full, coherent story.

21. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I like to view Rogue One and A New Hope as one. And it's incredible how well they fit together! After finishing Rogue One, I always take out the disc and immediately put in ANH if I have the time.

Darth__Lobot, EHT and Bor Mullet like this.
  22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Everytime I watch ANH after RO, I can’t help but yell at R2 and C3PO to hurry the hell up and deliver those plans to Obi-wan.

Darth__Lobot, EHT and PCCViking like this.
  23. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    "Lots of people died to get those plans to the Rebel Alliance, and you guys are just screwing around in the desert."

24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    That lengthy shot of R2 slowly turning his head back and forth in consternation as 3PO slowly shambles away into the dunes…

“Get on with it!”

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  25. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Obviously, reverse chronological order is the only correct way to go.