main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Mini-Games Challenge (Now Open For NEW 2024 Challenges!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Mar 15, 2020.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    My entry for both of these are now up! Ghosts - it's kinda silly West Wing banter but I had a lot of fun. You dont need to have seen the show to get this fic, but limited, very basic familiarity with the OCs probability helps

2. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    OC Name Challenge

[​IMG]
    What’s in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

How do you name your OCs? Something significant to the story? Something with a hidden meaning? What you just think sounds cool? A random sequence of letters? In any case, in most circumstances, I’m sure the name isn’t the first thing about the character you think of, but in this challenge, it will be.

Below is 5 names - unique enough to be used in the Star Wars-verse, but (obviously) still Earth based so they can work for many NSWFF fandoms as well. All these names you can do some sort of background research on (they might be derived from mythology, history, other works of literature, have significant meanings, etc). Pick a number, get a name, create an OC and write that OC into a story. Easy!

2. Indie - Kit'
    3.Antares - Pandora
    4. Ptah - earlybird-obi-wan - perfect-match
    5. Tekakwitha - Findswoman

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  3. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    That’s excellent, Bri! Thanks so much—got it in the index. :) (Where I hope I have not missed anyone!)

And love your new challenge idea! Naming OCs is one of my favorite things—so may I ask for name #5, please? :D

4. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Fantastic! I got it in the index. :D [face_dancing]

5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Please nr 5 for teh OC name challenge

Mira_Jade and Findswoman like this.
  6. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    For the Lore Olympus Roulette challenge I had fun writing this little story
    king puzzle

amidalachick and Mira_Jade like this.
  7. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    You got: Tekakwitha

From Behind the Name: Means "she who bumps into things" or "she who puts things in place" in Mohawk. Tekakwitha, also named Kateri, was the first Native American Catholic saint (she even has a Wikipedia page if you want to do a dive into the historical figure).

Sorry, Findswoman already picked 5. Wanna choose another number?

8. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
  9. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    You got: Ptah.

Fro, Behind the Name:
    From Egyptian ptḥ meaning "opener, creator". Ptah was an Egyptian god associated with creation and the arts.

Wikipedia page on Ptah. He was the god of craftsmen and architects.

10. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    @Briannakin: I'll give this one a whirl. Number three, please.

11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    OOOOhhh. You got a fun one you could go in so many directions with (I went down a bit of a wikipedia rabbit hole with this one).

You got: Antares

From Behind the Name: From Greek Ἀντάρης (Antares), traditionally said to mean "opposing ARES". This is the name of the brightest star in the constellation Scorpius.

Wikipedia link to the star Antares.

Opposing the Greek god of war? Pull in a little astrology with the Scorpio connection? So much potential!

12. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Could I please have two on the names challenge @Briannakin?

13. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Also, I still have number 4 left of the Discworld Challenge if anyone is interested.

Mira_Jade likes this.
  14. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Ptah was a perfect surname for my new OC. She is introduced here
    perfect-match

15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    You got: Indie

From Behind the Name: "Possibly a diminutive of INDIA or INDIANA, but also likely inspired by the term indie, short for independent, which is typically used to refer to media produced outside of the mainstream."

Of course you also got the Indiana Jones connecton.

amidalachick, Kit' and Findswoman like this.
  16. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    For @Kit's absolutely fantastic Discworld challenge, my muse managed to come up with Something There.

Thanks for that wonderful bit of inspiration! [face_love] [face_dancing]

17. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Reponse to @Mira_Jade's Latin Phrase Roulette -

Hollow.

What is the price of putting a broken Jedi back together?

Mira_Jade likes this.
  18. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    Well, here I go, first time coming up with one of these... :p

Poetic Nature Words Roulette

[​IMG]

This challenge stems – in a roundabout sort of way – from a fic I read in another fandom last year. The title of the story was a Japanese one, and when I looked up what it meant, I was interested to learn it was a word without an English equivalent, describing a very specific aspect of nature. Throughout the story, the writer weaved in sensory details that related back to this word. I was really struck by the subtle beauty captured in this one word, so I thought it would be fun to look for more words that struck the same type of chord.

So! I have five words derived from five different languages, each describing something found in nature. Rather than using the word in your fic, the challenge is to incorporate the essence of the word into your story. Use it to craft a physical setting, or a metaphor, or to describe a character’s state of mind… get creative! Really try to capture the richness and poetic beauty of the natural phenomena described in these words. And have fun! ;)

Participants
    1. @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha
    Sirimiri – a Spanish word for a very light rain or fine drizzle; stronger than mist, but less than a shower

2. @devilinthedetails
    Abendrot – a German word referring to the red color of the western sky at sunset; can be translated to mean “evening red” or “afterglow”

3. @amidalachick
    Petrichor – a modern word constructed from Ancient Greek, which refers to the distinctive, earthy, pleasant scent produced when rain falls on dry soil, usually after a long, warm, dry spell

4. @earlybird-obi-wan
    Mångata – a Swedish word that describes the glimmering, road-like reflection of moonlight on a body of water

5. @Mira_Jade
    Komorebi – a Japanese word that captures the effect of sunlight streaming through the leaves of trees, and the interplay and contrast between light and shadow that it creates (the shadows created on the ground, or even in our curtains, are also part of this)

Index
    1. [LOTR] Respite in the Gardens by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha
    2. Abendrot or Sunset Lament by devilinthedetails
    4. A guiding moon by earlybird-obi-wan

[face_batting]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  19. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @ViariSkywalker Ooh, I really love the premise behind your challenge.

May I claim prompt #2?

Thank you:)

20. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
  21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
  22. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    Sweet, my first takers! :D

You certainly may! :D #2 is:

Abendrot – a German word referring to the red color of the western sky at sunset; can be translated to mean “evening red” or “afterglow”; (the gif in my previous post is a good example!)​

Here is #4! ;)

Mångata – a Swedish word that describes the glimmering, road-like reflection of moonlight on a body of water
    [​IMG]

Of course! :) #1 is:

Sirimiri – a Spanish word for a very light rain or fine drizzle; stronger than mist, but less than a shower

I look forward to seeing what stories you create with these! [face_batting]

23. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
  24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
  25. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    @ViariSkywalker, ooooh! What an absolutely gorgeous idea for a challenge! #5 for me, please. [face_batting]