main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    When I was 3, the olympics inspired me to be Mary Lou Retton. I flipped off the couch and hit the coffee table head first. You can’t tell unless you look very closely at the little diagonal marks between my eyebrows. Glad they’re fine.

2. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I finished filing my taxes...I think? Next year I may just let the tax prep service do it; by the time I paid for the tax software it worked out to about the same. And I'm still not 100% sure I did the retirement account stuff right. But it's DONE. [face_beatup][face_worried][face_worried]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  3. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    I took accounting in college and one of our required courses was a tax class.

Our teacher was nice enough and well-meaning with years of professional experience but it was literally their first time teaching a course. The material was utterly confusing and the textbook and resources were NO HELP AT ALL. Even the actual Canada Revenue Agency wasn't helpful. For example, for one assignment three of my friends tried calling the CRA to ask about the situation described in the assignment (because there was nothing like it that we had covered in class) and got three different answers. It was a nightmare.

I ended up passing the class and vowed never to touch anything to do with taxes ever again. That's what a friend who is an actual practicing accountant is for. [face_laugh]

4. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I honestly can't recommend having an accountant do your taxes enough! It's so much easier. I just send her all my receipts and slips (I have to gather them up and scan any that weren't delivered electronically), she asks me some basic questions and she does the rest. I've already sent her everything for this year. At least here in Canada, if your taxes are just a little more complicated than a slip from your employer, an accountant will be waaaay more knowledgeable than a tax prep service (some of those people only have a few hours of training) and wont cost much more. But my taxes are fairly complicated, I've done my brothers' taxes using free software so it's all what makes sense (though in my experience if you cant do them yourself for free or cheap software, it probably makes more sense to skip the tax prep services and go to an actual accountant).

So I did a bit of tidying up yesterday and managed to get the most physical energy consuming jobs done - taking out the garbage/recycling, picking everything up. I told myself I'd finish today (just some vacuuming - I need to fix my roomba but not today - and a quick wash of the floors) but I just dont feel like getting off the couch.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  5. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Often the same in the US. While most tax prep companies have some people with years of education and training that can do just as good of a job as the accountant, but many hire additional seasonal help whose training consists of a short seminar or a "crash course" in the basics. The good ones will train the seasonal help to deal only with certain forms and kick the client up to the well-educated folks if the client presents anything they aren't trained for, but I've heard that doesn't always happen.

Mine have been simple enough that I've been doing my own taxes using H&R Block's online tool for the last four years, but they're likely to be more complicated next year and I may need an accountant.

6. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, the same thing happens at H&R Block in Canada. IF you do get bumped up (which, yes, doesnt always happen even if it's needed, as my mother has experienced), it will cost about the same as going to an accountant. So it's kinda one of those "might at well guarantee it's done right" sort of things.

I still gotta wash the floors but my condo is looking decently livable for my mom to help me reorganize it! I am so tempted to drag her out and get her to help me get a new couch while she's here. My current couch is SO uncomfortable. My sister actually had to pick it out for me before I moved here and her choice was awful. The seat cushions dont remove from the couch so it's like a wood block covered in foam, but the top layer of foam is folding under itself. I cant even lay down to watch TV it's so bad.

7. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    How to do taxes is something that should be taught in high school and it isn't, at least where I grew up. At least the basics. I did mine with the online H&R Block a few times and basically ended up so frustrated and in tears every time (I did have to do multiple states, so that complicated it a bit). dp has had an accountant do them for years, so when we got married, I just got to be a beneficiary of that. Thanks goodness!

Sound like it's for sure time for a new couch, Bri! It sounds awful!

8. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    The basics of income tax definitely needs to be added to school curriculums!

As much as I want a new couch like NOW, my sister reminded me that I'll probably be vaccinated in a few weeks (she - also diabetic - got her letter on Friday so I'm kinda hoping I'll get mine within the next few days), then I'll actually be able to go into stores without worrying and shop around, plus I'll be able to have potential buyers over to look at my couch - yes it's HORRIBLY uncomfortable and I dont think I'll get much for it, but I didn't exactly pay much for it in the first place (and it's a sectional with an ottoman) and it's only a year a half old, so I can probably easily sell it for a chunk of cash (and even if I dont, I don't care).

And treating myself to a nice new couch seems like a good way to treat myself for surviving whatever 2020/21 has been.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Oh gosh, taxes. I hate taxes. Here in Greece you need a PhD in accounting to file your income tax as soon as you have any sort of assets (like, for instance, a car). If you don't have a good accountant you're done for.

The ship stuck in Suez appears to be floating again. Should I be optimistic and say that this is a good start for the week, or should I keep my mouth shut for fear of jinxing it?

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Up here I get a paper with my taxes sent to me, I take a look at it to see if everything is all right, if not I ad what's missing (have not needed to do that jet). After that I login to the tax deparments hompage and tell them that yes, that's my taxes.

All in all around 15 minutes.

11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Minor rant ahead: In February, my friend and I presented a paper to the Tolkien Society. We both did the legwork, but I spent several hours extra to make it coherent and intelligent-sounding. This involved a restructuring of the paper, adding content to better support the premise, etc. The society education secretary asked us to do formatting changes and submit it for publication. I asked him a question once. He answered simply. I submitted it on time yesterday in the middle of a migraine so bad that I had to go home from dinner when even the sound of electricity made it impossible to focus. I woke up this morning to an email saying the paper was rejected from the publication because it didn’t meet the academic standards, but that doesn’t mean the paper was bad. Just that they didn’t see it as good enough for the proceedings. No other feedback.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I took a high school class all about personal finance and intro to business. It was only an elective course, and only a half-year course, but we did cover extremely basic taxes. However, the US tax system is so convoluted that if you have anything other than very basic stuff, you NEED to pay a professional to get it right because no high school class can even begin to cover everything (despite my high school teacher's insistence that there is never, ever a valid reason to pay anyone to do your taxes for you and that you should always do them completely on your own).

The truth is that is 95% of cases, the IRS already knows exactly what your taxes are, yet you have to do them yourself anyway and pay extra if you miss a credit (even though the IRS knows you're eligible for that credit) or risk prison time if you misinterpret convoluted instructions. There's no reason the IRS can't do what @Gamiel described, just tell us what our taxes are and let us make corrections if necessary. Yet the broken system persists.

13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Speaking of taxes, my accountant sent me what I needed to sign so she can file them. I got them today and I'm getting a decent return. I'm going to put it towards a new couch! Maybe buy something a bit nicer than what I've been used to and hopefully it will last longer.

BUT OH GOD I AM SO TIRED. I had to work this evening and train a new volunteer on the tandem trikes... the dumb trike broke three times. I mean, great learning opportunities for the volunteer to fix it on the trails. But at one point one of the back pedals came right off and there was no fixing it. So I made her go in the front and do most of the work while I sat in the back and tried my best to help her pedal with one foot strapped to the pedal while having my other foot tucked under me. We use recumbent trikes so balancing like that isnt a factor, but it was still exhausting! I think I'm going to treat myself to a bubble bath, then watch something in bed!

14. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Oh wow. A bubble bath. I haven't done that in ages.

Anyone remember that self-care challenge that @Mistress_Renata started a while back? How have you been doing?

My goals were:
    I've been pretty successful on #3 & 4, but I haven't read a single book (electronic or otherwise) and I only got one of my medical checkups done.

I'm adding two goals as of today:
    5. Spend enough time in the sun to get my vitamin D
    6. Regular bubble baths, face masks, hair dye, the full works :D

15. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I’ve done 2/3 of my list.

16. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I never made a list, but it's just as well because this semester would have stomped on whatever I put down. Very little self-care will be happening until finals week in late April.

In other news, this morning I have registered for classes for my final semester in the fall. My degree audit now reads "All Requirements Completed -- In Progress Courses Used", essentially meaning that my degree will be complete upon passing all courses I'm registered for in this semester and the fall. There is a light at the end of the tunnel finally.

17. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Congrats!

18. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    My good intentions have fallen apart. I need to rethink them.

19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I dont think I ever made a list. I really should.

On that topic, other than writing (because my muse is being a fickle creature), how do you unwind and de-stress and just "turn your brain off and completely distract it"? I basically called someone out today for being both sexist and ableist (long story short, no one is ever allowed to call me "sweetheart" or "little princess"). I called them out on it because it needed to be done but confrontation of any kind gives me super anxiety.

I think I'm going to have another bath because my legs still hurt so much from yesterday.

20. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Congrats @jcgoble3!

@Briannakin Did you take that bath? It sounds like just what you needed, both for your legs and for the anxiety.

I had my favourite face mask last night, a homemade one with chickpea flour and some other exotic stuff. It takes away everything that needs to be taken away, so much so that you may feel it took away your skin altogether :p but the next morning you feel (and look) awesome.

21. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Yesterday the high temperature here was 73°F. Tomorrow it's supposed to be 35°F with snow. Not happy with Mother Nature's April Fools prank.

22. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    @jcgoble3 same here. Yesterday was gorgeous, sunny and like 18 Celsius, and today it's cloudy with a high of 7 (which I don't think we'll even reach). :rolleyes: Awesome news about your degree, though! Congratulations! :)

@Briannakin I hope you got your bath and are feeling better today!

@Chyntuck oh, that sounds amazing! Would you mind sharing the recipe? It's totally okay if you don't want to of course! I love face masks, skin care, all that sort of stuff.

I actually just ordered a new perfume as a little treat for myself. :D It's a sandalwood and vanilla fragrance from The 7 Virtues, made with all-natural, fair-trade ingredients. All of their products are amazing and their patchouli citrus fragrance is my favorite perfume ever, so I'm so excited for this one!

23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I did indeed have a bath! With a bathbomb! I also did a facemask and curled up with one of my favourite fanfics! Felt so much better! My legs are feeling like 60% better today.

I have my strata's AGM tonight and I'd honestly rather do anything else. It's on Zoom so you bet your booties I'm turning my camera off and drinking a whole lot of alcohol to get through it.

That sounds amazing! I'm not a perfume wearer at all, but I love sandalwood and vanilla

24. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Yup, crazy weather here too. We went from 20°C two days ago to below 10°C yesterday and today (and for us, below 10°C is like the depths of the winter). Tomorrow we're supposed to go back to 20°C and then we'll probably be staying there (or above) until October. Meanwhile, the bitter orange trees in the street are in bloom and the smell is heavenly.

@amidalachick Of course! The basic ingredient is chickpea flour (which you can achieve by sticking a handful of dry chickpeas in a coffee grinder if you don't want to buy a whole package). You need two good teaspoons of that. I add a dash of turmeric (my cousin doesn't, she's very fair-skinned and she finds it gives her a yellowish skin colour, but I'm olive-skinned and I find it gives me a nice glow, so that's up to you). I also add a drop of honey to make the end result more sticky but you can do without. Then you add a teaspoon of milk and enough rose water to get a runny paste/thick pancake batter-like consistency. You can put yoghurt instead of milk and it'll have a more moisturizing effect, and you can use orange blossom water instead of rose water (or just plain ol' water, but it won't smell as nice). Spread that on your face, wait until it dries, rub it off, and rinse your face with plain water. You'll have the cleanest face ever.

Be warned though, when I say it takes away everything, I mean *everything*. So if a hair from your eyebrows or your hairline gets stuck in it, it's going to hurt [face_devil]

25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I got my vaccination eligibility letter and made my appointment! It's April 19, so, yeah, really only got pushed up like 2 months... but I'll take it.