main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Betrayal (Luke, Mara, Karrde, Leia, Han and others)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi_Lover, Dec 4, 2019.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh, cool symmetry with the ending in The Last Command. :D :) Mara made some very compelling points.

2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Thanks. I know we all wondered what happened to Luke's lightsaber he lost along with his hand, but we forget about Obi-Wan's lightsaber. I know there was a good chance that it was destroyed with the Death Star...but there is a slim chance that Vader had kept it and it was in his Tie Fighter with him when the first Death Star was destroyed.

I know that Vader had a burning hate for Obi-Wan when they fought on Mustafar, but contrast that to the final fight between the two. Vader seemed calm and just as emotionally centered as Kenobi. I sometimes wonder if the burning hate was gone and was replaced by...I don't know...a feeling of loss. Anakin and Obi-Wan were like brothers. Obi-Wan cared for Anakin since he was a child. They were comrades-in-arms. They were close. The betrayal had to hurt both men terribly. Don't get me wrong, Vader killed younglings...he was the bad guy, but he didn't see it that way. To Anakin, Kenobi turned his wife against him and left him for dead on Mustafar. For Kenobi the betrayal is just as horrifying. Anakin turned against the Jedi and slaughters on the orders of a Sith Lord and turned to the darkside.

But there is something about betrayal...usually with five to ten years that emotional pain is muted. Kenobi and Vader had 18 years to contemplate what happened. I think the burning hate and hurt may have turned to a coldness or indifference. I think at that point both men might have been able to remember the good times and not dwell so much of the pain.

Before Vader struck down Kenobi he told him, "You should not have come back." I sometimes wonder why he said that. Did he not want to kill Kenobi or did the arrival of his old Master dredge up memories he didn't want to remember?

I don't know. What I do think is Kenobi seeing Luke then smirking at Vader before raising his saber was Ben's way of making sure Luke would never forgive Darth Vader. He did it on purpose in a way to manipulate Luke to hate his father. How else could you interpret that. Obi-Wan didn't physically become more powerful than Vader could possibly imagine. Kenobi's death did make a powerful impact on Luke and that is what Ben intended. He wanted to keep Luke safe by making Luke hate Vader. Of course that is only my opinion, but I stand by it.

So, I guess what I am trying to say is Vader picked up Kenobi's lightsaber and couldn't destroy it. It would be obliterating the last remnant of his old Master. Maybe he kept it to gloat over or maybe he kept it to honor the man he once loved like a brother. That part is up for interpretation.

He gave it to Mara because he knew Mara would play a huge part in Luke's life. He could finally give the saber a new home and he could finally let go of the past. I just thought it was fitting that Vader gave it to Mara. It shows he trusts her.

Thanks for reading and taking the time to review. I will have the next post up shortly.

3. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Star Destroyer Redeemer

Luke was not surprised to learn it was Mara piloting his father’s private shuttle to retrieve him. In fact, he was hoping she would. He longed to hold her again; to pull her in his protective embrace. He knew he could have easily lost her in the last week, either to the Resistance or to Palpatine and the thought horrified him.

He waited impatiently as the shuttle docked in the starboard docking bay and finished its shutdown sequence. As soon as the boarding ramp started to lower, he was there, jumping onto the halfway lowered ramp and ducking his head to prevent hitting it on the front nose of the craft. He met up with Mara just as she walked out of the shuttle cockpit.

For that moment all of Luke’s concerns melted away as he grabbed her up in his arms lifting her off the ground and crushing his mouth to hers. After a thoroughly passionate kissed he lowered her to the deck and smiled, grateful to have her in his life. “I’m so glad the Resistance didn’t hurt you.” After a second he added. “Or the rest of the Wild Karrde crew.”

She flashed him a warm smile. “I have your father to thank for that. It’s a good thing he heard me.”

He knew what she was doing—trying to ease any tension between him and the Emperor. Instead of irritating him he was instead relieved that the two had gotten along and his father obviously approved of his relationship with the Former Emperor’s Hand. “Yes, I am thankful for his intervention.” He paused slightly. “But that doesn’t mean I approve of what he did here.”

Mara sighed deeply as she pushed the button to raise the ramp and walked back to the cockpit. “I understand.” She lowered herself into the pilot seat as Luke moved to the unoccupied seat next to her. “I felt the deaths. I also felt Palpatine’s death…along with the reduction of darkside energy.” She looked over to him as she initiated the start up sequence. “You had to feel it also. The darkside.”

He secured his crash webbing before answering. “I did…but this was a planet, and we don’t know if everybody there was Sith or darkside. I assume there were children.”

She grabbed the steering yolk and gazed out of the viewport in thought. “I don’t know what was down there. For all we know there might have been a planet of Palpatine clones. I do know I sensed evil…a darkside energy stronger than any that I have felt before. Your fleet was in danger…you were in danger. Your father had limited options.”

He rolled his eyes. “We could have isolated the planet. Prevented the population from ever leaving. We could have neutralized the threat. The Third Fleet was doing a fairly good job at stopping Palpatine’s attack.”

She glanced over to him before activating the engines. “Luke, you might be right. Or you might be wrong. Can I give you some advice?”

He was pretty sure he knew what she was going to say but nodded anyway.

“Before you get into a big argument with your father, please recall what two Sith Lords did to this galaxy. Thousands of Jedi, trained since birth, were slaughtered on Palpatine’s order. Then there was the destruction of Alderaan, Despayre and Scarif, the slaughter on Bothawui and on Sarko VI. The Blackwing Project, Operation Cinder, the Firrerreo and Dhen-Moh Genocides, just to name a few.”

She held up two fingers for emphasis. “Two Sith Lords…one of them being your father who is now in possession of a bigger and better Death Star.”

He frowned deeply hoping she wasn’t suggesting he forgive and forget what happened here today.

One eyebrow raised as she obviously picked up on his thoughts. “I’m not asking you to condone the destruction of the planet below. Just…just remember nothing will bring those people back. You have to look to the future and somehow convince your father to never use the battle station to destroy a planet again. Maybe start by thanking him for rescuing me and the crew and saving your fleet.” She gave him a knowing look. “Then remark how much you like his new battle station and ask if you can be put in command of it.”

Luke scoffed. “You think he’ll give me the most dangerous weapon in the galaxy.”

She turned in her seat to face him fully. “Yes, yes I do. In the last few days, I got to know your father far better than I ever have before. He’s changed and it’s you who changed him.”

He blew out a frustrated breath. “Are you okay with what he did?”

“No…I mean, I wish it didn’t have to come to this. I wish Palpatine would have stayed dead. I just don’t think your plan on containing the evil would have worked. People know about this planet now…a lot of people. The Resistance and tens of thousands of crewmembers of your massive fleet along with any salvagers you bring in to recover the Katana Fleet. Hundreds of thousands of people would know about the planet and no matter how hard you tried—it would only be a matter of time before darksiders escaped the planet. Then only bad things can happen.”

He slouched in his seat, his anger subsiding slightly. “I’ll talk to my father.”

He watched silently as she maneuvered the shuttle out of the Star Destroyer’s docking bay and made its way to the looming battle station in the distance.

She glanced over to him. “Your father loves you.”

Luke chuckled darkly. “What? Were you and my father having deep conversations about life, love and family after your rescue?”

“I wouldn’t consider them deep…but yes…we talked.”

She laughed when she noticed his jaw drop. “He has things to say to you. Give him a chance and listen.”

“What did you and he talk about?”

Mara shook her head. “It’s not my place to say. There are a few topics your father wants to tell you personally.”

Luke ran a hand through his hair in frustration. “Now you got me worried. I already know about his battle station. I can’t imagine what else we have to talk about.” He sat quietly for a long time before asking, “Is it something bad?”

She shook her head. “No, just unexpected.”

Death Star II Mobile Battle Station

As they approached the Death Star Mara received a communication from Emperor Vader to bring Luke directly to the Throne Room.

Luke looked a little confused. “Why not his quarters? Does he want to remind me that he is in charge?”

Mara knew Vader was probably going to reveal to Luke the Room of Mirrors, but she kept quiet. Before the Emperor sent her to retrieve Luke, he ordered her to not tell him anything. Vader wanted to tell his son that he had a sister among other things.

Mara evaded all of Luke’s questions as she docked the shuttle and then walked him to the throne room. When they finally made it to the door, she pulled him into her arms and kissed him softly on the lips. “I’ll wait for you in the quarters your father assigned me.”

She then quickly walked away before he had the chance to talk her into staying. She knew the future held a very awkward conversation for the two men and that was something she wanted no part of.

She was halfway to her quarters when she decided to make a detour to the station’s Commissary and Exchange Shop. She needed some new clothing and personal items. Maybe she will purchase a large bottle of Luke’s favorite wine. She imagined he probably would need a drink after talking with his father.

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Marvelous talk en route. Mara's the only one who could talk Luke around to seeing another point of view, and it doesn't hurt that she's right. It's hard for weapons of REALLY mass destruction to stay hid. :eek: =D=

JadeSphera likes this.
  5. mayo_durron_666

mayo_durron_666 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 26, 2005
    Sorry! Just caught up! [face_blush] Loved all the latest updates: Vader helping Mara fight Palpatine's connection was cool, Death Star show up / planet blow up was hard as I could totally understand Luke's disapproval, the Kenobi lightsaber hand off was brilliant - didn't see that coming! - and Mara mediating between father and son is perfect. So much to enjoy here! =D= Look forward to more! :D

6. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    There is no point in arguing with Darth Vader. He destroyed the planet and nothing will change that. Discussing the morality of what he did is useless. Mara knew Luke was changing Vader and he needed to continue in that direction. Thanking his father for the good he did and not berate him for being overly aggressive was the best route. Especially since Mara knew Vader was probably right in doing what he did.
    Darth Vader knows Mara is the key to his son's future. He also doesn't want to get between Luke and Mara. He remembers how much he hated Kenobi for him turning Padme against him (in his point of view) and doesn't want his son hating him. I also think Vader sees Mara as an ally in a way. She knows what it was like serving under Palpatine. She is a good mediator between the two men.

Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment. We are slowly getting to the end of this story. I have written a list of loose ends I need to tie up. Hopefully I will do a decent job.

It was over two hours before Luke showed up at Mara's quarters. She didn’t need the Force to tell he was emotionally exhausted.

She ushered him into her accommodations before wrapping her arms around him in a fierce hug. “How’d it go? Are you still mad at your father?”

Luke chuckled darkly as he dipped his head down and nuzzled her neck. “I think we're equally irritated with each other.”

She pulled away and looked at him perplexed. “He’s mad at you for being mad at him?”

He looked at her sheepishly. “My father wasn’t the only person with secrets... and he discovered mine.”

“Oh?”

He sighed before taking her hand and leading her to the room’s sitting area. He sat down on the couch still clutching her hand. She lowered herself next to him watching at him curiously. “And what was the secret?”

He leaned back into the seat cushions and expelled a long, tired breath. “My father brought me to the room of mirrors and explained its function. At some point he revealed to me that Princess Leia was my sister. When I didn’t respond in surprise he got upset.”

Mara shrugged. “Why? You always told me you saw her as a sister. You must have subconsciously picked up you were siblings through the Force.”

Luke made a face. “Yeah, he didn’t see it that way. He was sure you told me, and he was…well, pissed is the best way to describe his reaction. He said he ordered you to be quiet.”

Her jaw went slack as a nervous flutter coiled in the pit of her stomach. “I hope you told him I absolutely did not disobey his instructions!”

Luke ran a hand over his face in a nervous gesture. “I did, but he pressed me about why I wasn’t surprised…I mean not surprised at all. He knew, I knew beforehand.”

She folded her arms across her chest and glowered at him. “Luke are you going to tell me what happened or are you going to continue to dance around the subject? How did you know?”

He slouched in his seat and stared at the ceiling. “Ben Kenobi told me.”

Her brow furrowed in confusion. “Then you’ve known for years?”

Luke shook his head. “No, only for a couple weeks.”

She frowned, irritated that she is having to drag the details out of him. “So, Obi-Wan Kenobi is alive? I thought your father killed him.”

“No, he’s dead. He died on the first Death Star…he just didn’t tell me until a couple weeks ago.”

She opened her mouth to say something but closed it as she tried to understand what he was saying. “You lost me.”

He squirmed under her gaze. “I have been keeping a secret. Master Kenobi was able to retain his consciousness after death and has been visiting me in spirit form.”

She stared at him in disbelief. “What?”

He gave her a pleading look. “It’s true. He visits me…mainly to nag me to get away from my father, destroy the Empire, return to the rebellion.”

“So, you told your father you knew about your sister because Kenobi’s ghost told you…and your father believed you?”

He looked hurt. “Why wouldn’t he believe me?”

She scoffed as she stood and walked to the kitchen, deciding she needed that wine right about now. “Because it is easier to believe that I told you everything, then you’re being haunted by a Jedi ghost.” She opened the cooling unit and grabbed the bottle of wine and two long stem glasses from the cabinet and placed them on the kitchen counter. As she poured two glasses, she gazed at him skeptically. “Do you really see the dead?”

He rose off the couch and joined her. “Just Force apparitions…not the ghoulish specters you see in the horror holos.”

She took a long sip of the wine as she contemplated his words. His story was outlandish, but there was no reason for Luke to lie to her. Plus, they just fought Palpatine who somehow came back from the dead. She picked up Luke’s glass and handed it to him. “Can you see him now? Could I see him?”

He sipped the sparkling red wine then looked around. “I can call them. Maybe they’ll show up.”

“Them? More than Kenobi?”

He nodded. “Yes, that was another thing I hid from my father. Before I faced him on Bespin I trained with Master Yoda. He was the head of the Jedi Council before the Jedi purge and went into hiding on the planet Dagobah. After my run in with a Wompa on Hoth and right before I passed out from hypothermia, Ben Kenobi came to me as a spirit and told me to go to Dagobah and train with Yoda.” He chuckled. “For a while I thought I might have had a concussion and hallucinated all of it, but I never heard of the planet Dagobah before and when I researched the name, I discovered it was a real place. I tried to contact my old master, but he remained silent. So, I traveled to the planet and I found Master Yoda.”

“And you didn’t tell anybody this because?”

Luke sipped his drink before answering. “I didn’t know Master Yoda was dead until I got to the Katana Fleet. When I thought he was alive I didn’t want my father hunting him down and killing him. I didn’t tell him about Kenobi because there was so much bad blood between the two. The last thing I wanted was my father distrusting me.” He blew out a breath. “I didn’t tell you because… you shouldn’t have to keep secrets from my father.”

“That was probably for the best.” She brought her glass up to her lips. “How did he take the news?”

Luke gave a small shrug. “Not as bad as I expected. I told him Kenobi had tried to get me to betray him and I refused. I think he was proud of me. He appreciated the fact that I never gave up on him when Kenobi, my father’s old master, the man who trained him since he was a boy, wrote him off completely.” He looked to her and smiled. “He told me he gave you Ben’s lightsaber.”

“Yeah,” she said softly. “I still don’t know what to think about that. Did he have a vision of the future where I defend you with a lightsaber?”

Luke finished his drink and then poured himself another glass. “Maybe not a vision of our future, but a multitude of visions from that room of mirrors. He showed me a dozen or more alternate universes. In the dimensions where you are in my life, you stand by me…we fight side-by-side lightsabers in hand.” He reached across the counter and put his hand over hers. “When we’re together, we’re a family. We’re parents. In some universes we have one child and in others we have many. Sometimes my father lived and in others he died. There was one common thread in all the timelines he showed me. Anytime you are not in my life…I am miserable.”

She smiled warmly. “I never saw myself in the alternate universes…am I happy?”

He grinned smugly. “Of course, you are married to the sexy farmboy turned Emperor…or in some timelines a Jedi Master and in one I was a roguish smuggler.” He leaned over the counter and gave her a long, sensual kiss. “But in all various universes we’re happy together.”

“I can believe that.” She carried her glass over the couch and sat down. She patted the cushion next to her invitingly. “Is everything worked out between you and your father?”

“I believe so.”

“He’s not going to blow up another planet?”

He sat down next to her. “He promised me he wouldn’t… and to convince me he gave me full control of this massive battle station.”

She put her glass down on the side table as she tried to suppress a smirk. “I told you so, Supreme Commander.”

“You were right.” He leaned in and nipped lightly at her earlobe, making her shutter. “Do you still want me to try to summon Yoda and Kenobi?”

She shook her head. “Not now. I think we need some time to get reacquainted.”

He edged closer to her, his hand slowly pulling down her flight suit's zipper. “Getting reacquainted sounds…perfect.”

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    JadeSphera and mayo_durron_666 like this.
  7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Loved their conversation and I am not surprised in the slightest that in all the universes/realities where they are together both are happy ;) Mara's essential to Luke's well-being and emotional wholeness. [face_love]

JadeSphera likes this.
  8. mayo_durron_666

mayo_durron_666 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 26, 2005
    This was an ace update! I'm glad Luke and Vader talked it all out, even if it wasn't easy. But at least Vader is in the know now and he's promised no more planet exploding.
    I like that Luke got to see different future realities, so cool!
    Haha, Mara is always right, Luke's gotta learn this! [face_laugh]
    Enjoyed this a lot, thanks. :D

9. JEDIFLYSWATTER

JEDIFLYSWATTER Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2004
    Well it has been a long time since I’ve been on TFN. Missed every body. Love this story and will stick around for more.

10. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Thank you for reading and commenting. In my mind Luke/Mara are OTP. I just can't see them with anybody else.
    I don't know if the Room of Mirrors from TROS was meant to be a version of the World Between Worlds from Rebels, but that is what I am going with. What the point I want to make is these things they see are not part of their universe. So that means in my story Luke is not the man who was saved by Vader in the OT and he is not the man in the ST. My story is an AU and Luke's story is not bound by the movies.
    . Hi, JediFlySwatter. I remember the name but it must have been a long time...I can't recall any details. Thanks for reading! I appreciate it.

I had time to write today. I have been busy at the hospital. I worked 100 hours in the last two weeks. Normally I work 62 hours every two weeks...so it is a pretty big jump in hours for me. Unfortunately the pandemic is hitting my area hard and it has kept me busy. I usually mull over my posts for days and edit them, but I don't think I will have time to do that. So here it goes.

Hours later, Luke was rudely awakened by an alarm clock. Mara moaned an apology as she untangled herself from his arms and rolled over to shut off the offending noise. She then turned back to Luke she pressed her lips to his sweetly. “I would love to stay in bed all day with you, but I have an appointment with the Quartermaster’s tailor.”

His brow went up in surprise. “Do they make civilian clothing?”

“No, I’m getting a uniform made. Your father made me an offer I couldn’t refuse.”

Luke sat up in bed with a flash of anger. “He’s conscripting you?”

She smiled with a shake of her head. “No, no. I worded that poorly. He made me an offer that was too good to refuse. He said if I would return to Imperial service, I would have the freedom to choose any job, title, and uniform as long as I remained subordinate to him.”

Luke smiled widely realizing Mara had decided to stay. “You’re going to quit your job with Talon Karrde?”

“I don’t think I have much of a choice.”

He brow furrowed. “Why do you say that?”

She laughed before snuggling against his warm body and kissing him softly. As their lips parted, she grinned. “Do you really think Karrde will keep working as a smuggler once you pay him the finder’s fee for the Katana Fleet?”

He nodded in understanding. “I never really thought about that. I guess he will go into retirement as soon as the credits are transferred into his bank account.” His expression became guarded. “I hope you’re not taking up my father’s offer just because you need employment…because you don’t need to. I can pull strings and find you a job anywhere.”

She ran a finger down his chest and over his well-toned abdominals. “If I wanted to stay with the Karrde crew it is probably possible. I wouldn’t be surprised if Talon gave the Wild Karrde to his crew as a parting gift. No, I’m coming back to the Empire to be with you.”

He grabbed her hands in his and brought them to his lips, kissing them lovingly. “You don’t need to rejoin the Empire to be with me.” He hesitated slightly wondering if he was rushing things. “We can be together no matter what.”

“Farmboy,” she whispered. “I want to earn my keep. Also, it would negatively influence troop moral if the Supreme Commander got to bring his civilian lover with him on deployment when the rest of crew has to wait for shore leave to see their loved ones.”

He nodded in agreement. “I never thought of that.” He reached out and touched her toned stomach. “So, you’re not staying because you might be…pregnant?”

She rolled her eyes as she slipped out of bed began picking her clothing off the floor. “I am on repress meds…you’re on repress meds. The chances of me getting pregnant are a trillion-to-one.”

“So,” he said slowly. “There’s a chance?”

She scoffed. “It sounds like you want to be a father as much as Vader wants to be a grandfather.”

Luke chuckled as he stood and began to dress. “Did you see the little redheaded boy in the Room of Mirrors? He was a perfect combination of the two of us. Are you telling me that didn’t get your biological clock ticking?”

She pulled on her under garments before sighing deeply. “He was a cute little guy.” She slipped on her borrowed flight suit. “This conversation is happening a bit early in our relationship.”

He walked over wearing only his boxer briefs and pulled her into his arms. “It is premature. We should be having a discussion about marriage.”

He could feel her shock through the Force and a discernable stiffening of her posture. He dropped his arms and stepped back as he swallowed a sudden lump of sadness in his throat. “I didn’t think that subject would upset you.”

She regained her composure quickly. “It doesn’t, but I think those glimpses of possible futures have given you a longing that makes you want to jump over the wooing part of a relationship and go directly to marriage and kids. Luke, we discussed this before; relationships should evolve naturally.” She smiled reassuringly. “I relish out time together and I am taking steps to ensure we will remain close. Let’s enjoy the courtship for a while.”

He nodded while forcing a smile on his face. “Oh course.” He pulled in a calming breath then asked. “So, have you decided on what military position you want?”

“I told your father I want the rank of Absolute Leader of the Supreme Commander.”

Luke laughed, “And what did he say to that?”

She looked at him mischievously. “He said he thought that was my rank and status already.”

“Ouch.” Luke said with a grimace as he picked his trousers off the floor and slipped them on. “So, what are you considering…for real?”

She remained in silent thought as she zipped up her flight suit. “I haven’t decided yet.”

He pulled his uniform tunic on before embracing her gently. “I don’t care what you decide…as long as you stay.”

She leaned in and kissed him. “I will.” She looked to her wristchrono. “Sorry, I have to go.”

He sighed as he watched her leave the bedroom. He finished dressing then walked to the kitchen to rummage for food.

“Hello there,” came a voice from behind him.

Luke didn’t flinch at the sound, but turned to face his old Master, Ben Kenobi. Luke's eyes narrowed. “I am surprised you would make an appearance here after what happened.”

The Force ghost frowned in confusion. “Whatever do you mean?”

Luke gave a scathing laugh as he pulled a bottled water out of the cooling unit. “What I mean is you have been wrong about my father all along. You never thought he could turn back from the darkside. You denied that he was the chosen one—you know, the person who would destroy the Sith…but he did.” Luke unscrewed the bottle top and took a long sip before wiping his mouth with the back of his hand and glaring at the specter. “You know what was on that planet below…Sith. Sith that my father destroyed. He destroyed the Sith. He destroyed it, not the Jedi, not me, he did.”

“Well, of course he destroyed the Sith,” Kenobi said evenly. “He had the high ground.”

Luke gazed at the older man in bewilderment before chuckling. “You absolutely won’t admit that you were wrong about him, will you?”

Kenobi sighed deeply as he paced across the room. It looked like he was about to sit down on the couch but then thought better of it and kept standing. “I must admit, your father’s actions are a surprise.” He crossed his arms across his chest and looked down at the floor in thought. “Perhaps with Palpatine’s influence gone, your father is slowly changing his ways...and I welcome that change. To have Anakin return to the light...it would make me joyful beyond words.” He glanced up, probably sensing Luke's skepticism. “I know I haven't been totally honest with you in the past, but some of what I told you on Tatooine was the truth…and not simply from a certain point of view. Your father was a good friend. He was like my brother. When he turned to the darkside…it was soul crushing.”

“He thought he was doing the right thing,” Luke said slowly. “At least at first.”

“Palpatine tricked him.” Obi-Wan's voice was taut with sadness. “I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. The Emperor tricked us all. The entire Jedi Order was decimated.”

Luke’s demeanor toward the old Jedi softened. “Palpatine manipulated everybody.”

The old Jedi simply nodded in agreement.

“Ben…is the Emperor really dead? We thought he was dead before, but he obviously possessed the body of one of his clones. How do we know he's not out there looking for another body?”

Ben Kenobi did sit down on the couch this time and Luke didn’t object. He figured old habits are hard to break, even for the dead.

“Yoda is communicating with the Jedi Masters that died and still retain their consciousness. Sith are usually rejected from entering the flow of the Force. Their Force essence is too…damaged. Most become bound to a physical location like Korriban, the tomb world of the Sith. Some Sith are believed to enter an area called Chaos…it is a place where the darkside manifests. Yoda and the spirits of past Jedi are working to find him and confine his malignant presence within Chaos, at least until he can no longer retain his consciousness and he is truly dead.” He looked down at the floor. “I will join them. This is probably the last time I will darken your doorstep. That should make you happy.”

Luke sighed deeply as he sat next to the Jedi. “I know things have been…strained between us, but I think your heart was in the right place. In all honesty, I will miss you.”

Kenobi nodded wistfully. “I’m glad your father did not destroy my lightsaber. Your friend, Mara Jade, served evil, but she was manipulated by Palpatine. There is good within her. She is strong in the Force and a worthy successor for my blade.”

“Thank you,” Luke gave him a genuine smile. “I think so too. So, you are really leaving?”

“That I must.” The Jedi rose and turned to regard Luke. “Tell your father I was wrong about him.”

Luke stood and reached out intending to give a standard goodbye handshake but dropped his hand when he realized the futility of that gesture.

“If you and Yoda can keep Palpatine from returning, I will forever be in your debt.”

“That is our goal, but there is one thing you can do for me as way of compensation,” the fading Jedi said as a sly smile graced his lips. “You can name the baby after me.”

“What?” Luke shouted as the spirit disappeared. “What baby?”

There was no answer but a faint chuckle. Luke turned around in the room looking for the spirit. “That’s not funny. You obviously heard my conversation with Mara, didn’t you?”

There was no answer. Luke was alone and left with a mix of emotions. He was happy that Kenobi realized his father changed but was sad that his old Master was truly gone. He also felt a state of elation and confusion. Was Kenobi joking about the baby, or did he know something that Luke and Mara didn’t?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wonderful talk between Mara and Luke. I love that she wants to relish the courtship. :) Great candid discussion between Luke and Ben,, with warmth restored. LOL What does Obi-Wan know that they don't about a baby on the way, possibly? [face_shhh]

12. JEDIFLYSWATTER

Dec 10, 2004
    I wonder if Ben likes to watch from the closet. Dirty old man. It was really nice that Luke and Ben were able to mend their relationship at the end. I hope that there isn’t a baby so soon because it is so nice that just a courtship is going on without that being thrown in. That seems to happen in a lot of L/M stories. They get together and wham...baby! Love this story . I keep wondering if Talon had Leia and Han stunned and he has them held somewhere. Great job!

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  13. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I think Ben may have been teasing Luke. It does make you wonder how much that old man sees of Luke's personal life.
    I don't know if Ben would watch Luke and Mara getting it on...mainly because a Force ghost has no corporeal form and that has to be frustrating when you get aroused. There is nothing worse than being a sexually frustrated ghost. I guess I should get Luke looking for his sister again.

Thanks everybody for reading!

Luke had spent the remainder of the day following around the Death Star’s current commander, Admiral Soontir Fel. Fel was ten years older than Luke but carried himself like a man much older and definitely more experienced. He was tall and barrel chested, with a muscular build, black hair and a neatly trimmed goatee over the squarest jaw Luke had ever seen on a man. Fel had graduated from the Imperial Military Academy with honors and quickly caught the eye of Grand Moff Tarkin who followed Fel’s career and promoted him above his peers continuously…until Tarkin’s death upon the first Death Star. Luke thought the Admiral might harbor resentment against him for killing his mentor, but the admiral was nothing but extremely professional and courteous to Luke throughout the day.

At the end of the tour, Luke commented on Fel’s professionalism and discovered why the Admiral didn’t appear to hold the same animosity towards Luke that other senior officers sometimes did.

“Supreme Commander,” Admiral Fel said quietly when they were alone. “I don’t believe your father knows, but I thought you should be told, last year I married Wynssa Starflare.”

Luke’s brow went up in surprise. Wynssa Starflare was a famous human actress and an extremely beautiful woman, but Luke had no idea why this revelation was a cause of concern for the Admiral. “Wow,” Luke said with a grin. “That’s amazing. I remember watching her movies as a teen.” He looked at the man in confusion. “Why is this important for me to know?”

“Because Wynssa Starflare is her stage name. She was born Syal Antilles…she is Wedge Antilles’ sister.” He gave a soft smile. “I want to thank you for sparing his life.” He looked down at the deck and blew out a breath. “I didn’t know if being married to Wedge’s sister would put me under suspicion. This has weighed on my mind for a while, and I realized I needed to inform my superiors…but for the last six months the crew of the Death Star has been on complete transceiver silence. This was the first time I had an opportunity to make an official report. I should have reported to the Grand Admiral, but your comment gave me a valid reason and opportunity to jump the chain-of-command.”

“I will officially note your admission in my private journals." Luke gave him a reassuring smile. "Wedge was one of my best friends...I still consider him my friend. The fact that you are related to Wedge by marriage tells me you are a loyal Imperial. If you weren’t, the Rebellion would have attempted to destroy this station by now. I look forward to working with you and will count on you to keep this station running smoothly.”

The Admiral blew out a relieved breath as he ran his hand over his severely shorn hair. “Thank you, Sir.”

“Tomorrow, in our main conference room, we will meet with the Fleet commanders to discuss salvage operations.” Luke looked up and down the corridor trying to figure out which way to go. “Ummm, until then can you point me to the direction of the dignitary quarters…specifically the one my father assigned to Mara Jade?”

Fel chuckled. “This place is a maze.” He signaled to a passing Stormtrooper who ran over and popped to attention. “Trooper, please guide the Supreme Commander to the dignitary wing on level 88, room I-1.”

Death Star II Mobile Battle Station: Level 88-Room I-1

“Oh…wow,” Luke said in delight seeing Mara’s new uniform. “I didn’t realize the Quartermaster could come up with tailored clothing so quickly.” He walked around his lover admiring her outfit. “Especially something so…unique.”

Mara grinned as she held out her arms before doing a pirouette. “You like it? It is based on that uniform you, or that other dimensional you, worn in that alternate universe…the one with the little redheaded boy.”

“Yes, I recognize it.” Luke nodded appreciatively. “Red armor over black tunic, trouser and boots. What are you going to call yourself? Do you want to reestablish the Inquisitorius? Or perhaps the Royal Guard?”

“I was thinking I’d become Commander of the Imperial Knights.”

Luke cocked his head to the side. “Doesn’t that necessitate more than one knight?”

She shrugged. "There is bound to be more Force-users out in the galaxy. We might as well train them to be loyal to you.”

He grinned as he closed the distance between them and folded her into his arms. “Or we can make our own little knights.” He leaned down and kissed her hungrily. He tried to grind his hips into hers but a leather breechclout hanging under her belt and over her groin area along with her newly acquired lightsaber made ravishing her impossible. He stepped away with a pout. “Although I find the uniform extremely sexy, it protects you a little too well.”

She smiled at him smugly. “Lucky for you, it has quick release clips, in case I have to remove it quickly…such as getting splashed with acid or thermite...or romantic rendezvous with Supreme commanders.” She slid up a small panel on her side revealing a button that when depressed released her chest and back plate from the shoulder pauldrons. She then eased out of her forearm guards and black gloves. Luke reached forward and helped her out of her shoulder plates. “This is way too much armor. Can’t they make you an armored pushup corset with tiny, armored undies and the smallest amount of loose-linked chainmail?”

She sighed deeply as she tossed off her black cape and boots leaving her with the neck-to-ankle black body suit similar to those worn under stormtrooper armor. “Let me guess, you used to play a lot of Valencia-Shadow Warrior hologames as a young boy?”

Luke blushed but didn’t try to hide his smirk. “Maybe.”

She shook her head as she unzipped her bodysuit and slipped out of her clothing leaving her wearing her undergarments. “There, is that better?”

“Extremely,” he said as he unzipped his gray Imperial uniform tunic and tossed it on the couch. “We’re going to have a meeting of fleet commanders tomorrow to discuss the Katana Fleet. I would like you there to represent Karrde’s interest. I’m sure he will trust you to do so. I would contact him, but I want to first secure the route to the fleet. I don’t need the rebels sneaking in and trying to destroy the Dreadnaughts.”

“I can do that.” She walked to her bedroom and pulled on a bathrobe. “Do you want to order dinner?”

Luke followed behind her and hopped onto her bed. “I can eat.” He leaned over on his side propping himself up on his elbow. “Mara, when you were the Emperor’s Hand you worked at tracking people, didn’t you?”

She cinched up the drawstring of her robe and sat down at the foot of the bed. “Yes, why?”

“I would like help finding my sister.” He looked up at the ceiling and breathed deep. “I would like it done quietly. If she knew I was actively searching for her she'd go further underground. Also, if I made a public announcement that she is my sister and ask for a meeting she would never believe it. She’d reason it was an attempt to malign her reputation. Calling her the daughter of Vader would infuriate her…even if it is true.”

She raised an eyebrow. “You want to keep it a secret from her…forever?”

He dropped down on the mattress with a fiery sigh. “I don’t know. Deep down, I want to tell her we are siblings, but I think knowing Vader was her biological father would cause her the same emotional pain I endured for months after I found out.”

“But you survived and came out stronger,” Mara reassured him as she shifted in the bed until she was lying next to him.

He rolled to his side and reached up, cupping her cheek with his palm. “Leia grew up with loving parents…parents that she basically had to watch die when Tarkin destroyed Alderaan. I suffered the death of my Aunt and Uncle…and it was heartbreaking. I can’t imagine how Leia is able to function when everybody that she knew on her homeworld was murdered. She lost so many people at once: her adopted parents, her childhood friends, teachers, mentors, everyone that was on the planet that day…they're all dead. And it was our father who held her shoulders and forced her to watch. I don’t think Leia would want to know that truth.” He leaned in and gave Mara a quick kiss on the lips. “But I do want to find her and make sure she’s safe. I would like it if Leia and I could be friends again or at least form some type of truce. Would you help me search for her?”

“Yes,” she said softly. “Maybe Karrde can help. He is an information broker.”

Luke smiled widely. “Just keep our relationship a secret. He doesn’t need to know she's my sister. I think the less people that know, the better.”

She nodded. “Consider it done.”

“Thanks.” His serious expression broke into a wide grin as he reached down to untie her robe while leaning in to nibble on her ear.

“I thought you wanted to eat,” she laughed as she slapped his hands away.

“I’m feeling a bit peckish for breakfast in bed.”

“It’s dinner time!” She giggled while squirming under Luke’s machinations.

“Don’t bother me with technicalities when I’m famished,” Luke chuckled as he placed a line of kisses down her neck and shoulders. “I’ve been hungry for you for days.”

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I love that Luke still considers Wedge a friend. And the way and reasons he wants to contact Leia. But as for L/M, happy sigh. He has a one-track mind, which no sane guy would be puzzled over LOL [face_mischief] :*

JadeSphera likes this.
  15. JEDIFLYSWATTER

Dec 10, 2004

16. JEDIFLYSWATTER

Dec 10, 2004
    Sorry about that. Got somewhere I could not get out of. Hope l do not get in trouble. Will comment next time.:confused:

17. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    You can just edit and delete when you get a chance.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  18. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Thanks. Soontir Fel is from the Legends. He was married to Wedge's sister. He was an Imperial who ended up in The Empire of the Hand in Chiss space. I sort of kept his background almost the same. He is also the father of Jagged Fel, but Jag won't be born for a bit.

I am going to post an update today because I am starting a 7 day stretch at work starting tomorrow. I am getting a lot of overtime at the hospital. I didn't get to proofread it as much as I usually do, so I may do some changes when I get some time off next Thursday.

Thanks for reading. And thank you @JEDIFLYSWATTER for reading.

Two Weeks Later

The freighter Wild Karrde exited hyperspace at the coordinates specified by Mara Jade. They were in the Corellia system but far enough away from the four planets of the sector that they were nearly indistinguishable from distant stars.

Talon Karrde walked up behind Chin who was piloting. “Are sensors picking up any other ships?”

Chin glanced over to the sensors while shaking his head. “Nothing so far.”

Karrde walked over to the communication station and reread the cryptic message Mara sent earlier that week. ‘Working on your behalf. I will be back to the core soon. Meet me at the following location, time and date. We can discuss details at that time.’ The message was followed by a string of numbers indicating the coordinates and rendezvous time.

“I wonder why Mara wanted us here?” Chin mused to his boss. “We are days away from habitable planets using sub-light engines.”

Talon sipped from a warm cup of caf as he considered the possible answers to that question. “Perhaps she is wary of another attack from the Resistance and picked a point in space away from prying eyes.”

Chin shrugged noncommittally. “Maybe, but if that was true, why a location in the Corellia system? If you don’t want to be seen, you go out to Dagobah or Tatooine.”

Talon let out a sigh. “I suspect she will use the proximity to the planet as a way to persuade me to visit Karrina.”

Chin gave a snort. “And Mara would be right to nag you to do so. You really should go see her.”

Talon’s mouth flattened to a line. “The doctors said the profound injury to her head will most likely mean memory loss. I was told I shouldn’t be surprised if she doesn’t recognize me.”

Chin let loose a fiery sigh. “Boss, if she does remember you…she’ll be devastated that you’re not around. She’s going to think you are no longer attracted to her because of her injuries.” Chin turned around in his chair so he could face his boss fully. “Women are self-conscious about stuff like that. Scars on guys, especially smugglers, are badges of honor and add to the allure…but women don’t think that way. She’ll believe you took one look at her and bailed.”

A spike of anger shot through Karrde. “You know I’m not that shallow.”

“Yes, but I also know you are not a coward, but you are willing to break her heart, so you won’t have to face the pain of her not recognizing you.” He paused to let his words sink in. “If she doesn’t know who you are…then you will just have to reintroduce yourself.”

Talon took another sip from his cup as he contemplated Chin’s words. “You’re right. If she doesn’t know who I am, I can identify as a friend and at least lend support through her recovery.”

The pilot smiled widely. “You won’t regret it.” He settled back in his seat as he checked his scanners. “When is Aves going to return from his supply run?”

Talon finished his drink before answering. “He should be on the way to our location shortly.”

Chin glanced over his shoulder to his employer. “You never told me what shipment you sent him on.”

Talon paused before answering. “You’re right, I never told you.”

Chin watched his employer for a long moment before nodding in understanding. “I guess it is something I am better off not knowing.”

“You can say that.” Talon admitted with a curt nod.

Karrde startled as the ship’s proximity alarms blared suddenly. “Oh, kriff!” he muttered under his breath as the entire front viewport of his ship was filled with…with something big and bristling with weapon systems. “What the hell is that? A Super Star Destroyer?”

“Ahh,” Chin nervously applied back pressure to the steering yoke causing the nose of the ship to rise while remaining at the same coordinates. “It is bigger than any ship I have ever seen. I would say it was a space station, but they usually don’t have hyperspace capabilities.”

“It’s a battle station,” Karrde whispered. “Mara came here in a Death Star.”

“You sure Mara is aboard?”

Talon wasn’t sure, but he was positive there was no point in trying to run. “Hail them on Imperial frequencies and find out.”

Chin reached down and toggled the short-range radio. “This is Freighter Wild Karrde. We are part of the Imperial trade league. Request identification of unknown…craft.”

After a few moments a familiar voice came over the comm. “This is Supreme Commander Skywalker. Welcome to my mobile battle station. Mara will be happy to see you. Transmitting docking coordinates at this time.”

“Affirmative.” Chin disconnected the signal and turned to Karrde. “Skywalker has a Death Star.”

Talon stared at the looming battle station, shocked at its enormity. “I am now exceedingly glad we became legit traders.” He motioned toward the Death Star. “Take us in.”

Talon wasn’t surprised to see Mara Jade and Skywalker waiting for them at the docking bay. As Chin finished the ship's shut off sequence Talon went to meet his friends. Mara was the first aboard. She gave Talon a friendly hug before stepping back and smiling at him smugly.

He cocked his head to the side. “Why do you look like the Loth-cat that caught the Canary-moth?”

Mara’s grin grew wider as she removed a small datapad from her nicely tailored jumpsuit and handed it to him. He looked down at a string of numbers. “What is this? Coordinates?”

Mara turned to Luke who had joined her onboard the Wild Karrde. “He wants to know if those are coordinates.” She tried to keep a straight face but eventually broke out in laughter. Once she regained her composure, she explained. “No, that is the amount of credits we calculated as the finder’s fee for the Katana Fleet. There was a lot of damage within a majority of the ships…so you aren’t getting the ten billion you hoped for, but we figured you should get just under five billion credits.”

Talon took in a shuttered breath. He opened his mouth to say something, but realized he was at a loss for words. He turned and walked back to the ship galley and sat down. Mara and Luke gave each other a knowing look as they went to join him.

“I know this must be a shock to you,” Luke said as he sat across from Talon at the galley table.

Talon chuckled. “That’s an understatement.”

Mara slid into the booth seat next to Luke. “Talon, I think this might be a good time for me to put in my resignation notice. I’ve decided to stay with Luke.” She gazed at him apologetically. “I figure you are probably going to retire anyway.”

“Uhh,” Talon swallowed a lump in his throat. “Yeah.” He wanted to say more, but he was having trouble focusing.

“Before you completely retire,” Luke said slowly. “We were hoping you could help us. We need a skilled information broker.”

Karrde's mind was whirling at the thought of being one of the richest men in the galaxy, but he pulled in a deep breath and forced himself to concentrate. “Sure, whatever you need.”

Luke sat up straighter in his seat before glancing over to Mara before returning his attention back to Karrde. “I need your help locating Princess Leia and Han Solo.”

Talon flinched in surprise. As the blood drained from his face, he noticed the marked change in Luke and Mara’s demeanor. He realized they felt his shock though the Force. Karrde wasn’t sure of the exact relationship between Luke, Han and Leia, but he knew Luke still cared about the two rebels. Luke was not going to be happy when he found out what happened to them.

Talon ran a hand over his beard as he slowly stood. “Sure, I’ll put out feelers.” He wandered toward his cabin wanting to put some distance between him and Luke. “I don’t feel well. I think the shock at my change of fortune was a bit too much.” He opened the door to his cabin hoping the Supreme Commander wouldn’t question his surprised response to his inquiry. He turned in the doorway and noticed Luke had already stood and was making his way toward him.

“Talon, you know something.” Luke’s voice was even, but Karrde could tell he was doing everything in his power to control the modulation.

The smuggler looked to Mara for help, but she simply stared at him in confusion.

Talon stepped into his cabin with Luke right on his heels.

‘Kriff!’ he thought wondering what Skywalker would do when he discovered the truth. Karrde realized the best way to deflect the subject was to throw Luke off balance.

“If you felt my shock in the Force it is because I am wondering why you are looking for the Princess.” Talon gestured toward Mara who was now standing in the doorway with an expression of concern. “You’re with Mara. Don’t you think it is a bit rude to be looking for another woman.”

It seemed to work. Luke looked taken aback. “No, it’s not like that.”

Talon pressed his advantage. “Then why are you looking for her? You have the Katana Fleet. I heard the Resistance was decimated and I haven’t heard of any attacks from the Rebellion in recent weeks. I am fairly certain they are on the run.”

Luke paused looking like he was deciding on saying something or not. Talon happened to glance over to his cabin’s dresser and panicked when he realized he had put the blaster he had taken from Han Solo in the top drawer…which was now open. He averted his eyes as quickly as possible, but the damage was already done. Luke walked over and picked up Solo’s blaster, his eyes wide with dread.

“Talon…how did you get this?” The younger man took a step closer to Karrde his eyes hardening. “She’s my sister! Leia is my sister! Talon, is she dead? Did you kill her like you threatened to kill the rebels after Karrina was hurt?”

“Sister?”

Luke grabbed Talon’s tunic and Karrde realized he was crying. “Is she dead?”

“No!” Karrde shouted. “She tried to abduct me. She was going to use me as bait to get to you and Vader. Aves stunned her and Solo. They’re in a stasis cylinder and stashed away on Myrkr.”

“Oh, thank the Force.” Luke let go and took a few calming breaths. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

Talon threw his hands wide. “She said she was going to put you in stasis and keep you in the machine until the senate was reestablished. She was willing to keep you locked away for years, decades, or however long it took to get her system of government reestablished.” He turned to Mara. “I wasn’t going to let that happen.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Luke repeated.

Talon scrubbed a hand down his face in frustration. “I was determined to keep them out of the way until…” He trailed off realizing he really hadn’t thought out what he was going to do with the two rebels in the long run. “I just wanted to keep them from meddling with your government or trying to kidnap you or kill your father. I would have eventually told you, but I got abducted by the Resistance and then you ran off to search for the Katana Fleet.”

Luke appeared to center himself as he replaced Han’s blaster back in the dresser. “They are probably safer on Myrkr…at least until my father’s purge of the Resistance is complete.”

Karrde nodded and let out a relieved breath. “She's your sister?”

“Yes, I just found out a few weeks ago.”

“How?” Karrde prompted when Luke failed to elaborate.

“Ummm,” Luke said hesitantly before Mara blurted out, “A ghost told him.”

Talon nodded thinking he understood. “Okay, I can appreciate wanting to keep your informants confidential.”

It looked like Mara was going to say something more, but Luke put up a hand stopping her. “Thanks Talon.”

“What do you want me to do about Organa and Solo?”

Luke folded his arms across his chest and looked down at the deck for a long moment before answering. “With your cooperation, I’ll make arrangements to retrieve them. I do think they will be safer in stasis until our insurgent problem is completely resolved.”

Talon nodded. “Yes, of course.”

Luke walked out of the room and made his way to the galley. “Meanwhile, we have a lot to talk about.”

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Great advice about Karrina and very sensible decision about keeping Leia and Han in stasis.

JadeSphera likes this.
  20. JEDIFLYSWATTER

Dec 10, 2004
    I am glad that Talon did not do something to rash. Even though I thought Leia’s plan was horrible. Could not imagine being on ice for decades. Great job!

21. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Thanks. What to do with Leia and Han is troublesome. It seems that in a GFFA a lot of people don't get punished for their crimes. Anakin wipes out a Tuskin Raider village and nothing happens, Han shoots Greedo and Obi-Wan chops off a patron's arm in the same bar and walks out. In the EU Kyp blows up a star system and nothings happens. Even in the Sequels people wanted Rey and Kylo to have a happy ending...how? He was responsible for the destruction of five planets, he slaughtered a village on Jakku and countless other atrocities. A GFFA must be a very forgiving place.
    . Nobody wants Leia and Han in stasis forever, but they are guilty of treason and running a rebellion. They would probably be better off on Myrkr.
    Death Star II Mobile Battle Station: Level 88-Room I-1

After discussing salvage details with Karrde and making arrangements for the retrieval of Solo, Organa and the Millennium Falcon from Myrkr, Luke and Mara made their way back to her quarters.

She glanced over to Luke as they walked through the long corridors. “I am thankful that you kept your cool when you found Solo’s blaster. Talon did threaten to kill the rebels, you had every reason to believe he killed your sister, but I didn’t once feel a hint of the Darkside…just grief at what you suspected had happened.” She paused in thought. “I don’t know if I could have reigned in my anger if I was in that position.”

He smiled sadly as he reached out and grasped her hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. When he saw a group of military officers walking down the corridor towards them, he quickly released her hand causing her to stifle a grin. In a few short years the Imperial military had trained the farmboy and former rebel to avoid public displays of affection while in uniform. He was becoming a true Imperial officer.

“Talon and Karrina were nearly killed by the insurgency,” he said softly. “I could understand it if he retaliated against them. I was terrified and grief-stricken at the thought that he had managed to exact his revenge…but I could understand if he did. Given the circumstances he described, Talon exhibited great restraint. My sister and Han lured him into an ambush.”

Mara nodded. “Are you going to tell your father?”

Luke sighed deeply. “I must. He is the emperor… and my father. If I keep this from him it will indicate that I don’t trust or respect him. He has done everything I have asked. He gave me the reforms I requested, and he’s changed his leadership style.”

Mara gave an unladylike snort. “You mean he isn’t Force-choking officers impulsively?”

He gave her a sideway glance. “Yes, he’s toned down his psychopathic tendencies. He’s really trying. I have to trust that he really doesn’t want to hurt his daughter.”

She nodded as they reached the door to her quarters. “For some reason I think he will show her the same…I don’t know if benevolence is the right word or not…but I don’t think he’ll kill or torture her.” She opened the door and ushered Luke inside. “But if he thinks Solo has been kriffing his daughter…he might kill him.”

Luke chuckled as the door sealed behind him. “I don’t know. My father seems to be anxious to become a grandfather.” He reached out and brushed his hand down her arm in a gentle touch. “Speaking of grandchildren. Is it possible…”

“No,” she cut him off. “I’m not pregnant. I don’t know why your father was able to communicate with me through the Force, but it is not because I am carrying his grandchild.”

“Oh,” Luke forced a smile on his face. “That’s good. We don’t want to rush things. Our relationship should evolve naturally.”

She rolled her eyes. “Don’t lie to me, Farmboy. You’re disappointed.”

He shrugged a shoulder. “Maybe a little. My father’s health is poor. I would like him to see a grandchild.”

She moved to the kitchen to grab a couple bottles of water. She came back and handed one to Luke as she twisted off the cap of her drink. “With technology today we can insert his brain into a nanny droid, and he can have all the time he wants with all his future descendants.”

Luke shuttered. “Ahh, no. Nope. That thought horrifies me.” He walked over and sat on the couch with Mara taking a seat next to him. “I’m taking a shuttle to Corellia tomorrow. There is a memorial ceremony for the fallen. I’d like you and Talon to come with me. I was told Karrina’s neural repairs should be done soon. I think she would welcome seeing some familiar faces when she wakes up.”

Mara pursed her lips together in thought. “That is assuming she does remember us. Her injuries were…bad.”

“The one thing the Empire does well is patch up broken soldiers. She may have some scars, but she should be able to live a productive life.” He turned and gave her a questioning look. “Talon does want to see her…doesn’t he? He was by her side in the weeks that followed the attack.”

“I don’t know. He fears she won’t recognize him. I think he wants to avoid the situation entirely.”

Luke made a face. “It’s not like they were married or have children together. If she doesn’t recognize him, he can walk away or attempt to rekindle the relationship. I don’t understand why he’d be anxious.”

She leaned back in the seat cushions as she sipped her drink. “I think it’s because for the first time in his life he’s in love. If she doesn’t recognize him, he’ll be crushed.”

“And if he doesn’t come to see her, he’ll never forgive himself.” He placed his drink on the couch side table and reached out pulling Mara closer to him. “I’ll make the decision for him. Tell him it’s an order from the Supreme Commander. He will accompany me to Corellia tomorrow.”

She shook her head. “The best way to get Talon to not do something is to order him to do it. He is stubborn.”

He leaned in and brushed his lips against her cheek. “You know him better than I do. I’ll defer to your wisdom. What should I do?”

“Just ask him to accompany you.”

He gave a nod. “I’ll do that.” He paused in thought. “At the memorial service tomorrow Grand Admiral Thrawn will give a speech about the attack on Corellia and disclose how we tracked down and annihilated the Resistance. I do have a question for you. We interrogated the prisoners and discovered the attack on Corellia was a joint effort between the Rebellion and Resistance. The subsequent attacks on civilian targets were solely the responsibility of the Resistance.” He blew out a discomforting breath before he continued. “I guess my question is…should we disclose the capture of Leia and Han?”

She shifted in her seat looking uncomfortable. “That one is tricky. Imperial citizens already see you as soft on the Rebellion when you simply exiled them. They came back into Imperial space and staged further attacks. The citizens of the Empire now want their blood. If you let the public know they are captured, Solo and Organa will have to face trial.” She took enough sip of her water, her expression thoughtful. “Luke, you can’t let them go free.”

He dropped his chin to his chest and closed his eyes. “What if we don’t let the public know they are captured?”

She turned to look at him fully. “Luke, you can quietly exile them again, but what are the chances that they will stop their rebellion? Even if they did stay out of sight…there will be a bounty on their heads.”

He shook his head adamantly. “I wouldn’t authorize that?”

She gave a scathing laugh. “You don’t have to. They are current warrants out for their arrest and the galaxy is crawling with bounty hunters. Unless you give them a full pardon, which I would not advise at this time, they will always be on the run.”

He slouched in his seat despondent. “What should I do?”

“You will have to try them for their crimes, but not in a civilian court of law. Your princess will make it into a media circus. Try them as unlawful enemy combatants by military tribunal and bar the media. You only need a handful of military officers involved and the verdict and punishment can be sealed as confidential. You can then put them in a nice cushy minimum-security prison. The public has a short memory. In ten years, you can pardon them and maybe, by then, they will have had a change of heart and will stay out of Imperial space.”

He sighed deeply. “That might work.”

“It will…if Solo and Organa drop their rebelling ways. If not…you might have to do something more drastic.”

He reached up and squeezed the bridge of his nose. “Knowing Leia…it might come to that.”

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  22. JEDIFLYSWATTER

Dec 10, 2004
    That is a difficult task. What to do with Han and Leia. He could decide to do with them what they were going to do him. Hey leave them in stasis and hang them on the wall. Stasis is just scary to me. Great job!

JadeSphera likes this.
  23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Nice discussion about options. Mara's insights and suggestions takes into account the mindset of the people at large and Luke's feelings as well.

I also agree about Talon seeing Karrina. He never would forgive himself if he stayed away and if she didn't remember him, he could start over :)

JadeSphera likes this.
  24. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Leia and Han are now on the losing side of a war. They were exiled and their lives spared, but they came back to cause destruction. The Imperial population has to be pissed with not only the rebels but with Luke allowing them to walk. Something will have to be done. Luke really has no choice.
    Karrde is not a coward. I think he knows he is deluding himself when he says he doesn't want to see her. He loves her...but he knows there is a chance he will be heart broken. He is scared and wants to protect his heart...but he will in the end do what is right.

Coronet City Medical Center, Corellia

Talon Karrde followed the Supreme Commander through the hospital hallway with Mara following closely behind. The corridor was wide enough for three to walk abreast, but the hospital was busy with stretchers being rolled up and down the halls delivering patients to their rooms. It made sense to walk single file, but he suspected Mara took up the rear to stop him from backing out on seeing Karrina.

He did feel apprehensive. He desperately wanted Karrina to recognize him. For the first time in his life he felt truly happy...and Karrina was the reason. It didn’t seem fair that fate stepped in to squash that blissful relationship.

Skywalker stopped to ask directions from a nurse. The young man wearing scrubs pointed down the hallway and then gestured to the right. “Room 57, Sir.”

Skywalker thanked him and continued toward the direction indicated. When he arrived to the room, he stopped so suddenly that Talon almost bumped into him. “What is it?” he asked.

Luke turned back to him with a confused expression on his face. “There is a visitor in the room. I’ll go find out who it is?”

Talon watched as Luke approached a human male probably twenty or thirty years older than Karrina. His appearance was that of a military man—physically fit and with closely cropped hair. The man stood when Luke entered and extended his hand in greeting. Mara came up next to Karrde and asked, “Who do you think he is?”

Talon shrugged. “Probably one of Karrina’s superiors. I don’t recognize him from the Officer Club, so I'm not sure.”

Luke finished up his conversation and walked back to the doorway. “It’s Karrina’s father, retired Colonel Jonathon Shotts. He had moved to the outer core and, unfortunately, Karrina hadn’t updated her contact information in her Defense Database System file. He was notified through a friend that saw Karrina was on the list of injured fleet personnel. He said we are welcome to come in. The doctor will be here any minute to wake her up out of her induced coma.”

“Her father,” Talon muttered before taking a step backwards. “I’m not sure dear old dad is going to like meeting the smuggler dating his young daughter.”

“I guess you’ll find out in a minute,” Mara said as she placed her hand on Talon’s shoulder and pushed him into the room.

He turned and glared at his former employee. She gave him her best innocent look and silently mouthed the word, ‘What?’

“Colonel Shotts,” Luke said as he gestured to his friends. “I would like you to meet Mara Jade, my advisor, bodyguard, confidant, speech writer, and…well, she is everything to me.”

Talon suppressed a snicker when Mara rolled her eyes before flashing a smile to the man and greeting him warmly.

Luke turned to Talon. “And this is Talon Karrde, Imperial Tradesman and good friend.”

The Colonel’s eyes narrowed. “Talon Karrde? Karrina talked about you.” He looked to Skywalker and then back to Talon. “When she told me about this trader that bragged that he was friends with the Supreme Commander I thought she was getting scammed by some lying-sack-of-scat, smooth-talking, womanizer.” He chuckled before stepping forward and shook Talon’s hand. “It is nice to know she wasn’t getting taken by some con artist.” He tightened his grip on Karrde’s hand and pulled him slightly closer. “Because she is very fond of you. I’ve never heard my daughter gush about a man before. I don’t know what I would have done if some cad broke my baby’s heart.”

Talon wasn’t sure if he should feel relieved or nervous. The older man’s words sounded liked a veiled threat. “I understand your concern. I wouldn’t want her heartbroken either.”

Colonel Shotts looked Karrde up and down before releasing his grip. “Good to know.”

The awkward exchange was mercifully interrupted by a doctor entering the room. “I am Doctor Acton, neurologist and physician in charge of Lieutenant Shott’s neural repairs.”

After brief introductions he gave a short medical explanation. “Lieutenant Shotts experienced traumatic brain injury, but I am confident that our neural repairs have mitigated most of the damage…but we won’t know the extent of any residual impairment until further cognitive testing can be done.” He looked to the people in the room. “Please do not be upset if she is confused or has memory gaps. Seeing friends and family in distress can be more upsetting to the patient than the memory loss itself. She has just begun the recovery process. She needs encouragement during her rehabilitation journey.” He dimmed the overhead lights before turning toward a complex looking medical device located next to Karrina’s bed. He pushed a couple buttons and then turned to his patient and waited silently.

After a moment Lieutenant Shotts' uninjured eye fluttered open, blinking at the soft overhead light. She reached up and touched the gauze pad covering her damaged eye, before looking around the room and the people surrounding her. She had a confused, almost panicked expression until she saw her father. It was then a wide smile blossomed across her face. “Dad.”

The older man stifled a sob as he moved forward and leaned over the bed to embrace his daughter. “I was so worried about you.”

As he pulled back everybody could see the confusion in her eyes. "Worried? What happened?"

He opened his mouth to say something but then stopped and looked at the doctor questioningly.

Dr. Acton stepped forward and gently explained to Karrina about the attack on Corellia and the extent of her injuries. The woman grimaced as she raised her right arm only to find a stump just past her elbow. Karrde saw her lower lip tremble slightly before she put on a brave face. “I know I can get prosthetics for my limbs…but how about my eye?”

“Yes, of course,” the doctor assured her.

“Standard military issue?” she asked sounding less than thrilled. Everybody in the room understood her displeasure. Military optical bionics were high in utility and durability, but less so when it came to realism. A civilian visual prosthesis was much more realistic, but so expensive that only the wealthy could afford them.

“We’ll get you a Keyton bionic eye,” Karrde blurted out, referring to the most elite prosthetics company in the galaxy…one who catered to political elite, celebrities, and other high-net-worth individuals.

Karrina turned her attention to Karrde with an expression of surprise and confusion. “The government is not going to spend a million credits to make me look pretty.” She gazed at Talon for a long moment before asking, “Where do I know you from?”

Talon’s stomach dropped with sadness as his chin dipped to his chest. His eyes squeezed shut for a brief second before he regained his composure. He looked up to Karrina and forced a smile on his face. “We’re friends. We were together at a restaurant when the attack happened.” He waited for any spark of recognition to register on her face. When none came, he decided to introduce himself. “My name is Talon Karrde, Imperial Trader. We met on the Star Destroyer Redeemer. I…uh…I would make regular supply runs to your ship.”

She stared into his blue eyes for a long moment before raking her gaze down his body…. which made him extremely uncomfortable while standing next to her father. That was an expression he was familiar with; it was the lustful look she would get before pulling him into bed for a night of lovemaking. Eventually her gaze returned to his face. “I look forward to getting to know you…again.”

His cheeks flushed as a broad grin spread across his face. When he saw Colonel Shotts disapproving look, he tampered down his obvious joy that this lovely lady might not remember him but was obviously interested in getting to know him once again.

Luke cleared his throat as he took a step toward the door. “I think we should give Colonel Shotts some time alone with his daughter.”

Talon gave Karrina a warm smile before turning and following Luke and Mara down the hall. When they were out of earshot Mara gave her former boss a playful shove. “And you didn’t want to come here. She was undressing you with her eyes.” She chuckled. “She obviously has a type.”

Karrde gave a smug grin. “If you mean she is attracted to tall, dark, handsome and dangerous looking smugglers…then, yes, she has a type.”

“And you offered to purchase a Keyton bionic eye,” Luke smiled at the older man. “That is very generous of you.”

Karrde nodded. “With my newfound wealth I have decided to become a philanthropist. I would like to help out all survivors of the attack. I need to talk to a solicitor about setting up a foundation.”

Luke’s brow rose in surprise. “That is beyond generous.”

Talon shrugged as they walked down the corridor. “It’s not like I worked for the money.” He paused momentarily. “I would like to leave a legacy...to be remembered by future generations not as a smuggler, but an altruistic entrepreneur.” He gave Luke a sideway glance. “I think you know what I mean. All your reforms, all the positive changes…you won’t be remembered as the son of a Sith Lord. A thousand years from now you will probably be known as Luke the Virtuous.”

“I hope that is the case. I know if my sister has her way I will be known as Luke the Traitorous Tyrant.”

“She’ll come around,” Mara whispered to Luke.

Skywalker shook his head sadly. “I am not so sure she will.” He sighed deeply as they exited the hospital. "I'm not sure at all."

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  25. JEDIFLYSWATTER

Dec 10, 2004
    I am glad that it went that well for Talon and Karrina. At least she did not freak out. Yes, Luke will have a very hard time with his stubborn twin and her scoundrel.

JadeSphera likes this.