main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social vs. Thread: Social Thread v9.0

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by AdamBertocci, Aug 24, 2011.

1. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    You know I found this thread through the most recent tab. Can’t wait to see this thread get to page 22 in 5 years :p

3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Hey DVeditor!
    Always nice to see some oldbies stop by. :)

4. The Jedi Apprentice

The Jedi Apprentice Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 1999
    Whoa, blast from the past. Haven’t posted here in many moons.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  5. Kaat

Kaat Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 5, 2004
    Hello there, folks. It's been about a decade since my last serious engagement here... the fanfilms times have changed a lot, there is so much more out there nowadays. I think Youtube helped a lot with that. Remember when we had to download QT files from TFN to watch some fanfilms, ha ha? Yeah... those were the dark ages.

Has it been brought to this forum's attention that the actor of Calaval in A Question Of Faith sadly passed away due to cancer about 4-5 years ago? :(

6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Hey Kaat, welcome back!
    Yeah, the fan film scene has changed dramatically, for better and worse. Worse mostly because it has basically moved entirely away from this forum. :p I do love the rise in quality since those days though - and the fact that it doesn't take ten hours to download the latest lightsaber duel in the woods, haha.

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear that. I didn't know. A Question of Faith has always been one of my favorites. I remember them making a sequel, but I don't think it was ever completed.
    My condolences to his friends and family.

7. Kaat

Kaat Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 5, 2004
    @TCF-1138 Yeah, it's rather sad. I also only knew because I read it in Youtube comments, it's too sad all around. I would have much liked a sequel to that film, because I thought the tale of two brothers philosophizing about the nature of the Force was very intruiging.

The fanfilm scene is very exciting nowadays indeed! There's some serious production value behind most releases nowadays, and of course a much higher technical level. I vividly remember the days when it was exciting and a feeling of pioneering to come up with new vfx tricks and tutorials and whatnot. I was kinda successful with my tutorials back then, but I feel like semi-professional YT channels have long overtaken that level of teaching. People who do this sort of thing for a living are sharing their knowledge, so hobbyists like me feel pretty outdated compared to that, ha ha.

Also, I'm lowkey shocked to see the Lightsaber Effects Thread not pinned on top anymore. It used to be my feel-good-place sort of, if I craved some comfort, I would go and look at some pretty lightsabers, ha ha.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  8. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, I unpinned that at the start of my reign as Fan Films mod a few years back, as most info in it was very outdated and most links were dead. I had intended to make a new one, but never got around to it. I should probably do that.

StevenBills likes this.
  9. Ricky_Calrissian

Ricky_Calrissian Jedi Master star 3

Nov 17, 2008
  10. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Why is anyone still posting here?!

11. Ricky_Calrissian

Ricky_Calrissian Jedi Master star 3

Nov 17, 2008
    [​IMG]

NateCaauwe likes this.
  12. Misayhara

Misayhara Jedi Master star 1

Aug 28, 2004
    Well, any response to that feels superfluous at this point, lol.

13. StevenBills

StevenBills Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2006
    It was a heckuva ride. Learned a lot on this forum. From the basics of roto'ing on a filmstrip in PS to the basics of AE thanks to Ryan's tutorials.

Good times.

SB

14. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    "Do not go gentle into that good night."

15. Chad_Peter

Chad_Peter Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 9, 2000
    How dare you. lol

Ah man, we will never stop posting here. As long as there's breath coming in and out of my lungs, I'll be checking in here at least once every three years. Each check in will easily be worth the four or five new posts to read.

No, but seriously I wish people would post here more often about what they're up to. I still have the np2k.com forums running for anyone that remembers (and I think it gets more posts than here, but I could be wrong). Teague still has the friends in your head forums up, too. Are there any other places we've all disappeared to? I mean, besides the mindless droning of facebook, work, twitter and new-tv-content overload?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
  16. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    We actually have a somewhat thriving little Discord for SaberComp, which is what became of LCC. Somehow run by freakin' Vapes now.

https://discord.gg/AyEkWXj

As for what folks are up to... not sure I've given an update recently. I did a stint around LA doing comp work, hitting places like Digital Domain and The Mill, and various little shops around Santa Monica that I loathed working at (seriously, being one of like 3 Nuke compers sitting right there in the Flame bay sucks)... but ultimately landed in Teague's old stomping grounds, Zoic. It was a great fit and I stuck with them for awhile, Covid hit, I moved back to Nebraska and kept working remotely for them, and as of January of this year, I'm on staff with health insurance, paid vacation, and all! So like, achievement unlocked or something.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
    StevenBills and TCF-1138 like this.
  17. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    oh hey what up guys

TCF-1138 likes this.
  18. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Ten years since your last post, and in the same thread. I like it! :cool:

19. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Funk lives by a separate set of rules...I have proof.

TCF-1138 likes this.