main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I had people like that in school and most of the time, it had no effect.. But I had Mr. Messerole for modern religion in 12th grade. When I did my project on neopaganism with my friend Nooshin, he gave her a C+ and me an A because he could tell who did which work. He's also the same person who assigned me and another friend, Jennifer, to do a presentation for our final grade. We kept having overlapping absences because of illnesses or school commitments, so we came in and asked to reschedule so we could do it and he said "I've been grading you all year. I know you would have gotten an A, so I'll give it to you." On the other hand, Nooshiin got more serious in college and has a doctorate now. So Mr. Messerole was a dork that time.

Chyntuck, Gamiel and jcgoble3 like this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think so, they have mention tail holes in pants. But we have also, at least, seen resturant stalls that don't seem to be different from ours, as in not designed for people with tail.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    gizkaspice and Chyntuck like this.
  3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I did something stupid today. It was the first really nice day here today 22C (72F) and absolutely sunny, so I went to the lake front with a few friends for a very socially distanced meet-up. And I think the past year has turned me into a vampire. I got way too much sun and a mild sunburn (which is super rare for me). I felt so woozy by the time I got home, but fine after I blasted the AC and drank a ton of water.

I get the jab tomorrow and I think I should buy myself a treat afterwards. I'm not afraid of needles (life of a type 1 diabetic) but I feel like the beginning of the end (hopefully) should be celebrated. I normally order dinner anyway on either Friday or Saturday night (and this evening I just had leftovers) so I'm trying to think of something I can order/buy/do that's a bit different. Can anyone think of a good new movie I can rent (or even an old one that isnt available on streaming)? I've been in a space/documentary mood lately.

DarthIshtar and Mistress_Renata like this.
  4. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    The same thing happened to me last Sunday. We had lunch on the balcony, so I was sitting in the sun for a couple of hours. The next morning I had fluorescent cheekbones and a deep red nose [face_clown]

DarthIshtar likes this.
  5. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    it's not space/documentary but I saw the Personal History of David Copperfield the other day (I haven't been to the movies in ages - children rather than pandemic). It was really, really enjoyable.

This is the last weekend of our April school holidays. It's been really lovely getting jobs done but it all feels like its over too quickly.

6. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Well, the COVID shot/jab/whatever you call it that I got Friday completely knocked me out yesterday. I had terrible sleep Friday night, and between sleep deprivation, fatigue, headache, muscle aches, chills, and a fever, I quite literally spent the entire day in bed yesterday. I only got out of bed to get water and use the bathroom.

Still have a headache today, but it's not as bad, the rest of the side effects are gone, and I got a good, solid night of sleep, so I'm up earlier than usual today.

amidalachick and Chyntuck like this.
  7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Which one did you get? I had a hellacious migraine two days afterwards and slept a lot the first day and am now doing just fine.

Chyntuck likes this.
  8. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Pfizer. This was my second dose. I had no effects from the first dose, so I was hoping I would get off easy with the second dose. Couldn't have been more wrong.

9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    That’s what several friends told me about Pfizer, but it was also true for moderna. Hope you feel well soon.

amidalachick, Chyntuck and jcgoble3 like this.
  10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Ack! Sounds miserable, but I'm glad you are feeling a bit better JC. I dont think anyone I know has gotten their 2nd dose here in Canada yet, but all my friends in the US say the 2nd dose is the brutal one (with the exception of one friend who got the J&J one back when it was available, she said it was nice to have it done in one shot but that one shot kicked her in the butt with chills and muscle stiffness for a few days).

I got my first dose yesterday (Pfizer) and other than feeling like I got a roundhouse kick to my arm, I feel fine. It didn't hurt immediately, but after like 4 hours, then I started to feel it. It was so tender last night that I actually had to sleep with an ice-pack. My one other wheelie friend who has had it said the exact same thing. My boss asked me to work tomorrow (groan - I normally have Monday off) and I said yes, so I'm taking it easy today. Might even stay in my PJs, build some LEGO (I just bought the new space shuttle Discovery AND IT'S SO COOL!) and watch some documentaries. My muse has kinda peeked back up but I'm honestly being such a baby about my arm that even typing is actually kinda hurting it.

It also probably doesnt help that we went from like 24C here yesterday to 13C with artic wind warnings today. Supposed to get gusts off the lake going 40-50 km/h. Basically it's cold and windy and I just wanna be cuddled up.

11. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I heard that the second dose is the worst in terms of side effects.

12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    It’s been that way for everyone I’ve known.

13. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    I had Moderna and was more miserable for the second dose than the first.

14. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Yes, I've heard that too, but my hope was that zero reaction to the first dose would translate to a relatively light reaction to the second dose.

Unfortunately, I am now 55 hours post-jab and I still have a splitting headache that has actually gotten worse over the course of the day today. I don't usually get headaches, so I'm actually slightly concerned over this. I know it has already completely destroyed an entire weekend that I critically needed to spend the entire weekend working on my numerous school projects to have any hope of getting them all turned in on time, and I actually regret getting vaccinated this early for that reason. I should not have even attempted to get vaccinated until after the semester was over.

15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Eeeek. I know from experience it is so hard to work on school stuff with a splitting headache. If you can, take something to help you sleep, and to help with the pain and try to knock it out. Or just sit in the dark for as long as possible. Can you email your profs and explain what is going on?

Just for my own info, how long after you had the shot did you start feeling the side effects? It will likely be into the summer before I get my second shot (my province is kinda not following the exact 2nd dose timing recommendation) but I'd like to be prepared. Living alone, with a physical disability, and taking care of yourself while sick isnt easy. I'm actually feeling kinda run down as the day progresses (I havent slept well for the past 2 nights). I might have a small snack and go and laay down.

16. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    You may want to consult with a doctor at this point. I checked with mine because of being on medications for migraines.

17. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Got the shot Friday at 11:15 AM. Early hints of an approaching headache and fatigue began to show by 5 PM, but it didn't affect my evening other than a deliberate choice to take it easy. I went to bed around 11:30 PM feeling okay. Saturday I woke up around 1 AM, tossed and turned the rest of the night with only brief periods of sleep and a severe headache, and stayed down for the whole day. Today I woke up extra early (for a Sunday) at about 7:30 AM, feeling okay except for a lingering headache. So it really hit me about 13 hours post-jab, and mostly went away around 21-30 hours later (at some point while I was asleep last night).

18. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Double post because I have quite a bit of an update.

The headache went away once I had some caffeine with my dinner, so that's good. I slept in a bit today, and have been trying to do schoolwork for the past few hours, with no success. While I have physically recovered from the knockout blow the vaccine dealt to me, mentally I'm still dealing with quite a bit of brain fog. It's almost as if the vaccine dealt me a virtual concussion: physically I feel okay, mentally I'm not all there yet. I can't focus on any school assignment long enough to get started on it.

I have major projects in every class due this week or next week, and I'm now hopelessly behind on all of them because I've completely lost two entire days (and now approaching three entire days) to the after-effects of the vaccine. Part of the brain fog is that I've fallen out of the daily schoolwork grind and now I'm overwhelmed at trying to figure out where to jump back in and how to prioritize one over another, despite it literally being impossible to prioritize because every project is simultaneously absolute top maximum priority because failure to fully complete any one project will ruin my GPA and permanently destroy my hopes for summa cum laude honors. I was dependent on a carefully constructed schedule of what projects to work on each day and all of that has been thrown out the window now because all the stuff that was scheduled for Saturday and Sunday, and probably most of today, didn't or won't get done. My schedule can withstand one lost day, but not three in a row.

And on top of that, in every case either the projects are group projects (so no chance for an extension because it's expected that the rest of the group will pick up the slack, despite me dragging both groups along like I'm herding cats), or the project is already due on the absolute latest date the university will allow projects to be due (so an extension is impossible without violating university policy), or the professor maintains a super-strict policy in the syllabus of absolutely no extensions ever for literally any reason whatsoever, or some combination of those problems. So reaching out to my professors for help is a waste of time because I already know exactly what response I'll get from each one. The only professor who might be willing to bend slightly is my independent study supervisor, and I'll talk to him at our weekly meeting on Wednesday.

This has seriously been the semester from hell and the absolute worst four-month period of my life, starting with the ridiculous professor at the start of the semester, fighting to herd cats in my group projects, dealing with non-stop projects coming faster than I can keep up, and now going through this. If I were not so close to graduation I would seriously consider quitting school because of this bull****. No degree is worth this much mental torture.

And once again, I seriously and literally regret getting the vaccine this early, and I would be willing to kill someone if doing so meant I could travel back in time to March and warn myself to delay the vaccine until the semester was over.

19. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I've dealt with all of that and I applaud you for getting this far! Higher education shouldn't be torture but a place of learning so you can gain the skills needed for the workplace--I don't really understand why it needs to involve so much stress. If this is somehow supposed to be "training" a student for the real world workforce, then it's definitely not a work environment I would want to personally work in.

Still, I think it's good you got the vaccine. I think anyone's health is more important than school, work or GPA--this coming from someone who used to obsess over grades. What I can share with you after finishing a degree is that after you're out of university, nobody cares that you're a summa cum laude honors or a magna cum laude or a cumlaudemagnawhateverthingajig (unless you're aiming to remain in academia, in which case totally makes sense you'll want to achieve high grades). All that matters at the end is that you have a job.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  20. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    While all the rest of you are getting "shot" with needles I'm still nesting at home. (No vaccination for my group here yet...)
    And I am literally "nesting". A month ago I began creating a "smart home", basically with a couple of smart bulbs a socket and a robot vacuum cleaner. Thursday I found google nest mini in a shop and decided to give it a try, just for the fun of it. It is actually quite funny asking it for the weather and the temperature when I get up in the morning. I can even have it read the news (not necessarily so funny these days).

I'm even having it creating my shopping list so maybe I don't forget half of it next time I go to the grocery store. Oh, well, problem with me and shopping lists is mainly that I forget reading them in the crucial moment. And no - I'm not pre-senile, I just find it extremely boring to go to the grocery store.

21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I 100% agree. I know it is hard if you are trying to maintain a scholarship or aiming for a further degree... but other than that, GPAs really dont matter. No one cares and I wish I had learned this in my undergrad. And group projects so dont emulate real work environments. They are so stupid, JC, I applaud you in making it this far in this hellish semester during this hellish year. And thank you for getting the vaccine and putting EVERYONE'S health first.

So, I'd like to reference The West Wing to describe my day today:
    [​IMG]

Monday is my day off (I didnt really sleep well last night but didnt bother taking anything because I thought I didnt work). I get a text at 8am this morning from my co-worker "[Manager] got a nasty concussion yesterday; [Boss]'s cellphone network is out [it's actually a nation wide thing that has just added to all of Canada having a REALLY BAD day]. You and I now have to do the interviews for the summer staff positions and all of [manager]'s work." So I spent all of today doing interviews I had little knowledge about (and I have to do more tomorrow) and trying to respond to emails where I had very little knowledge about the subject matter. And I had scheduled a grocery delivery for today so I was also dealing with that. This is going to be my whole week and I may not survive it (or at least my liver wont).

22. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Completely agree with this. The worst part here is that most group projects are really just meant to develop teamwork skills, but in my case BOTH of the group projects I'm in are designed with the exclusive purpose of simulating a work environment, and both are failing miserably at that. And one of those group projects will continue into fall semester because it's a two-semester capstone course (but we get graded this semester based on certain milestones that are required to be achieved).

The heart of the problem is that school group projects feature things that work environments don't have: hard inflexible deadlines that you're required to meet while juggling half a dozen other unrelated things at the same time (and you can't use those half a dozen other things as a excuse), the threat of being forced to repeat a project and potentially delay your graduation and entry to the workforce and lose months of income for failing the course, the fact that critical grades determining scholarship eligibility and in some cases your very ability to continue your education are at stake, and more.

School projects have stakes a thousands times higher than real work projects. If a real work project fails, your company can often negotiate a delay in delivery, cancel the project and put you on other things, and so on, while you still get paid exactly the same amount for your time. If a school project fails, it can make the critical difference for some students on whether they can eventually graduate and get a job in the field or whether they are forced to drop out of school and toil in crappy minimum wage jobs for the rest of their life (either because they lost a scholarship that was their only available way of paying for higher education or because they were on academic probation).

In the work environment, the risk is borne by the company, not you. In the school environment, you carry all of the risk.

amidalachick, Chyntuck and gizkaspice like this.
  23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    100% this. In a work environment, everyone pretty much has the same motivation (keeping their jobs and getting paid), but with school you have one end of the spectrum with people who need to get really good grades (for scholarships, further education, academic probation etc) and then you have the other "Ds get degrees" people (and there's nothing wrong with that sort of attitude if you don't need a high GPA for the future or the class is just an elective for the credits, but it sucks when those people are put into group projects with people who need to care).

Ack. Just had my first interview of the day at 8am. Note to self: dont roll right out of bed and do a zoom interview even if you are the interviewer. I brushed my teeth and put on a clean shirt (obvs), but I didnt have time to drink more than a swig of water. My mouth is so dry and I didn't grab my water bottle. Thankfully my next meeting isnt till 11 so I have time to eat breakfast and do a bit of my own work.

edit: I swear this week just keeps getting more stressful. During my last interview (and the day was just stressful on top of everything else because my boss really knows how to load it on), I got a phone call (no one ever calls me). I ignored it but they called back after I finished. I had ordered myself some nut-free treats yesterday (to treat myself after what I knew was going to be a hellish week)... someone had called them pretending to be me asking for my credit card. Thankfully they didnt give it out (I had actually used paypal so they didnt even have it) and just called to let me know my email may have been hacked. I can't see any unauthorized activity and there's no fraudulent activity on my paypal or my card itself but I changed ALL my passwords anyways. I'm kinda thinking the breach might have been on their end, but I'm still super paranoid.

If this week could just end, that would be great.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  24. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    Sounds like a rough week all around! Hugs to everyone. [:D][:D]

THIS. It's such crap.

@Briannakin ugh, that sucks! Glad to hear everything seems okay with your accounts but it's still so stressful!

Same! Things are a mess here and getting worse as far as Covid (and we were doing pretty well up until recently), vaccinations are a ****show thanks to the incompetent (fill-in-the-blank)s "leading" things, we're all completely stressed out and burned out at work...and on top of it all I woke up this morning to ******* snow on the ground.:mad:

On the other hand, I have to go grocery shopping later, and there's some new wine cocktail things I've been eyeing, so it would be a good excuse to add them to the cart. :p

Chyntuck likes this.
  25. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Yeah, it was like the vaccine called on to all my chronic aliments to rise up and be heard. I have digestive issues and it felt like I swallowed a dagger and it was lodged in my lower intestines. On top of that I had a migraine and was tired as hell.

Jedi Knight Fett and Chyntuck like this.