main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - Legends Those Three Words (Luke/Mara, Anakin/Padmé, Leia, AU, one-shot, OTP Challenge #20: It’s a Date!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ViariSkywalker , May 6, 2021.

1. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    Title: Those Three Words
    Author: ViariSkywalker
    Timeframe: approx. 1 BBY
    Characters: Luke Skywalker/Mara Jade, Anakin Skywalker/Padmé Amidala, Leia Skywalker
    Genre: AU, romance, fluff, family, vignette, one-shot

Summary:
    Padawans Luke Skywalker and Mara Jade take some time off from Jedi training to attend a high-end art gallery exhibition. It also happens to be their so-very-secret first date.

Notes: Written for OTP Challenge #20: It’s a Date! I asked @Gabri_Jade to choose my date from the list provided, and she picked “gallery exhibition.” For fun, I also sprinkled in a tiny bit of “romantic walk” (well, more like romantic sitting on a bench) and “double date” (because Anakin and Padmé are there, too.) This is sort of a follow-up to the still-unfinished AU fancy dress story I posted for the First Draft Challenge a few months ago. I’ll get around to completing that one day, hopefully. :p

This ‘verse is basically one where Anakin wasn’t an idiot and didn’t turn to the dark side. Yay! (Edit: 8/4/22: And now that Enter the Foreign is finished, I can confirm that this story takes place in the alternate universe that appeared at the end of that story! :D)

Disclaimer:
    I don’t own Star Wars. Just playing with my toys, and I promise to be nicer to them this time around… [face_batting]

Thanks to @Gabri_Jade for the inspiration and for her beta work! This one’s for you, dearest! ;)[:D]

~~

Those Three Words

“What do you mean, I have to dress up?”

Luke Skywalker looked up from the holofeed he’d been idly perusing as the sound of his twin sister’s voice echoed loudly through the house. He grinned a little at Leia’s blatant indignation, remembering the understated, yet elegant evening gown she’d been forced to wear about five months ago, on one of the diplomatic missions they’d been assigned to. She hadn’t wanted to admit it, but Leia had actually liked that particular dress, even if she insisted that it wasn’t at all suited for combat. It was telling that their father had been the one to remind her that not every mission was going to end in a lightsaber duel.

Come to think of it, Luke wasn’t sure if any of their missions had ever ended in a lightsaber duel. Huh.

Footsteps rang down the hall, and Luke glanced over his shoulder to see his mother gliding toward him, eyes forward, a small and slightly exasperated smile on her lips as Leia chased after her.

“Mom!” his sister said again, fighting to control her volume. “You didn’t say anything about this being a fancy, high society evening. I thought we were going to look at some art?”

His mom caught his eye for a split second, and he arched his eyebrows ever so slightly as she turned back toward Leia.

“It’s an exhibition for Silenia Tritas, Naboo’s artist laureate,” Padmé Skywalker said in a gentle voice that simultaneously – and a bit miraculously, in Luke’s opinion – brooked no room for argument. “It’s a great honor to have been invited, and we will all dress accordingly.”

Leia’s mouth snapped shut as she stared back at their mother, her gaze flitting briefly to meet Luke’s. He could sense her desperate, unspoken plea for help; but he knew better than to question his mom when it came to fancy social engagements. He followed his dad’s lead in that area.

The front door slid open, and Luke had to force himself not to react – outwardly or in the Force – as Mara Jade walked into the foyer.

She was wearing the training uniform typical of Jedi apprentices: loose-fitting pants in a light shade of beige, tucked into dark brown boots, and a sleeveless, cream-colored top that hugged her petite frame. Her wavy, red-gold hair was pulled back in a tight braid, and sweat had plastered several stray locks to her forehead.

Mara looked back and forth between Leia and his mom as she readjusted the bag hanging from her shoulder. “Hey,” she said. “Am I interrupting?”

His mom’s face lit up as she turned toward Mara. “Of course not, sweetheart. We were just discussing our plans for this evening.”

Leia tilted her head forward and raised a hand to rub between her eyes. “If you’d told me ahead of time that this was some exclusive event, I wouldn’t have agreed to go.”

There was a slightly dangerous undercurrent to the careful tone of his mom’s voice. “You think you have a choice in the matter?”

Leia looked up, and her big brown eyes softened as she stepped toward their mother. “Mom,” she said calmly, as if she’d suddenly transformed into the most reasonable and diplomatic person in the galaxy. “I know these are your people, but they’re not mine.”

Luke perked up at that. “Hey!” He twisted around to face his twin. “Don’t lump me in with those people. I was only going because you were going!” He noticed Mara watching him out of the corner of his eye, and he tried not to look at her directly.

Leia tilted her head to one side and gave him a look that told him exactly how much of an idiot she thought he was being. “I wasn’t even talking about you, Luke. And I’m not going.”

“I already paid for the tickets,” Mom said, blowing out a weary breath.

“I’ll go.”

The three Skywalkers turned in unison toward the sound of that quiet voice, and Mara looked back at them, her green eyes suddenly wide.

“If that’s okay,” she finished.

His mom’s presence suddenly radiated an overwhelming warmth as she smiled at Mara. “More than okay, Mara. That would be perfect.” She spun around and smiled at Leia. “Looks like you’re off the hook.”

Leia gave their mother a look he could only classify as suspicious. “You’re taking this really well.”

Mom shrugged and touched a hand to Leia’s cheek. “I figure why fight it? Besides, Mara appreciates a nice evening gown, so I know she won’t be griping about wearing one all night.”

Luke glanced over at Mara, who was doing her best not to smile as she scooted past the two Skywalker women. “I can wear the green one again,” she said. She caught his eye, and this time she did smile, just a little. Without even meaning to, he felt a huge grin light up his face. He ducked his head to keep the others from seeing, mentally chastising himself for being so obvious.

His mom caught Mara by the elbow before she could escape. “Nonsense, sweetheart, I’ll have my dressmaker take in one of my gowns. You come with me and pick out whichever you’d like.”

Mara couldn’t hide the shine of excitement in her eyes, nor could she conceal that happiness in the Force. It radiated from her, much as it had those many months ago when he’d watched her on the dance floor with Master Obi-Wan. She kept so much to herself, he knew, but some things were just too big for her to contain. And when that happened… well, he just really enjoyed being near her when she was that happy.

Mara tried to convince his mom that she was perfectly fine wearing the dress from their previous mission, but the former galactic senator was a hard woman to say no to, and his mom ultimately triumphed. She led Mara away, leaving Luke alone in the living area with his twin.

Leia walked around the edge of the sofa and plopped down next to Luke. “So that worked out pretty well for you, didn’t it?”

Luke pretended to watch the holofeed on the wall. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

Leia nudged him in the shoulder, then leaned against him, propping her chin up with one hand. “Uh-huh. You know, between the whole twin thing and my training bond with Mara, there’s not really much that you two can sneak past me.” She tapped a finger against her temple. “You’re welcome, by the way.”

He laughed and looked over at his sister. “Thanks,” he said as he wrapped an arm around her shoulders and squeezed. “You’re the best.”

“I know.” Leia gave him a quick peck on the cheek, then bounced to her feet. “I think Uncle Obi-Wan is going to take me with him to Alderaan for the day, so I won’t see you until tomorrow or maybe the day after.”

“It’s Master Obi-Wan,” Luke corrected.

Leia huffed indignantly and crossed her arms in front of her. “Maybe to you it is, O serious and dedicated young learner; but to me he’s Uncle Obi-Wan, and as long as we’re away from the Temple, that’s what I’m calling him.”

Luke rolled his eyes affectionately. “Say hi to Uncle Bail and Aunt Breha for me. And Winter, too.”

Leia swung around and threw him a mock salute. “Will do. Have fun.”

Luke settled back into the sofa, the holofeed forgotten, and thanked the Force for twin sisters who hated fancy dresses.

~~

The moment she stepped out of the speeder, Mara Jade realized this art exhibition was a much bigger deal than she’d originally anticipated.

The walkway outside the gallery was jam-packed with people of a variety of species decked out in their finest, waiting to get inside. She’d thought this was going to be a small, private affair for Naboo natives, but it seemed she was wrong. As her eyes swept the crowd, she glimpsed Mon Cals, Zeltrons, Rodians, Kiffar, Twi’leks, and a couple of Chadra-Fan, in addition to the many native humans and Gungans she’d expected to see.

So much for her secret first date. Luke had mentioned wanting to be discreet around his parents, and that was looking less and less likely the more she examined the crowd. She knew Luke’s hesitance was more because of his dad than anything else. She’d chided him about trying to imitate his parents’ secret courtship, but she knew how protective Master Anakin was of her. Unlike some of the other masters and apprentices, Master Anakin truly seemed to consider her a daughter, as bonded to him as his own flesh and blood. Having never known her real family, she felt the same toward her master, looking on him as a father.

Mara sighed and braced herself for the inevitable jostling of the gathered throng of art enthusiasts.

Then Padmé stepped out of the speeder, and the sea of people parted; and Mara realized – not for the first time – that she had underestimated the reach of the former queen and senator’s influence. She also realized, as she listened to the excited murmurs of the crowd, that with Padmé and Master Anakin around, no one was likely to notice the small sixteen-year-old girl shadowing them. With any luck, they also wouldn’t notice if she slipped off with the famous couple’s only son…

“Oh, Mara,” Padmé said with a happy sigh as she turned to her and grasped her hands, “that dress really did turn out perfect on you.”

Mara looked down at her dress and smiled. It was a midnight blue gown with a long, full skirt made of soft shimmersilk, overlayed with sheer tulle in the same shade. The bodice was fitted, with detailing in silver and gold that reminded her of a starry night, and a corset back that made the whole thing feel much more daring than her first experience with an evening gown. But the feature she thought she might love the most were the asymmetrical flutter sleeves fashioned from the same gauzy, deep blue tulle that made up the overskirt.

She looked up at Padmé, aware of the color creeping into her cheeks. “Thank you for letting me wear it. It’s very beautiful.”

Padmé reached out and twirled a finger through one long ringlet of Mara’s hair. “A beautiful gown for a beautiful young lady.” Somehow, the Skywalker matriarch had convinced her to wear her hair down, and she’d even styled it for her, emphasizing Mara’s natural wave with soft, loose curls. It might not be totally practical on a daily basis, but Mara had to admit she sort of loved how it looked.

She felt a gentle nudge through the bond she shared with her master, and she glanced over at the gallery doors where Anakin Skywalker and his son were waiting for them. She responded to Master Anakin’s mental greeting with one of her own, smiling a little. Then she finally allowed herself to make eye contact with Luke, and she felt her breath catch.

He was nearly a head shorter than his father, but he still looked every bit as sharp in his slim gray suit. He’d already taken off his jacket and slung it over one shoulder – she could practically hear Padmé scolding him for being so casual in such a formal setting – and she noticed his shirt was a shade of blue that almost perfectly matched the color of his eyes.

Master Anakin strode forward and offered his arm to Padmé. “My lady,” he said with a wry, dashing grin. He winked at Mara over his shoulder as they walked on ahead.

Luke stepped over to her side and lifted a hand to play with the sheer, fluttery material of her sleeve. “Fancy,” he said.

Mara playfully swatted his hand away, her eyes darting over to her master and his wife. “You act as if you haven’t seen your mom wear stuff like this a hundred times.”

He shrugged, and his fingers grazed her arm as he released her sleeve. “It’s not exactly the same,” he said with a grin.

Force help her, but she felt her stomach tangle in knots at the sight of Luke Skywalker’s smile. How did he do that to her? And why was it that knowing he had feelings for her made her own reactions more intense? Shouldn’t it be the opposite? And what in the worlds had made her think she could do this anywhere near Master Anakin, without giving them both away? She was usually pretty good when it came to controlling her emotions, but Luke had always managed to get under her skin, even before she’d realized she had feelings for him.

“Your hair looks nice,” Luke said as they walked through the doors to the gallery.

She shot him a sidelong glance and smirked a little. “Are you going to tell me I should wear it down more often?”

“If you want to.” He held out his arm to her, and she took it, allowing him to lead her toward the first display of artwork. “It looks nice any way you wear it.”

She thought of how it must have looked earlier today, when she came in from training, all sweaty and bedraggled.

He grinned and leaned closer. “Yep. Even then.”

She looked up at him, startled. “How did you…?”

“I know you better than you think, Mara. I could see the snarky comeback sparkling in your eyes.”

She tilted her head to one side and raised an eyebrow at him, trying to distract from the sudden heat spreading across her cheeks. “Sparkling?”

There was something almost shy in his expression as he smiled and stopped in front of a large painted landscape, but he said nothing in return.

They wandered the gallery for the next hour, snagging extra hors d’oeuvres and holding back laughter as they studied each piece of art and quietly imitated the often pretentious commentary of the adults around them. Eventually, though, Mara started to grow tired of all the noise and the bright lights illuminating every corner of the gallery.

“Hey,” Luke said in a quiet voice as he took her hand in his. “Found something I think you’ll like.”

She glanced in the direction he’d indicated and realized he was moving toward an open door that led outside. Beyond the door was a small courtyard.

“This way,” he said, pulling her gently by the hand.

She looked past him at the courtyard. A stone fountain lay at the center, and the perimeter was lined with hedges nearly twice her height and tall lanterns that cast a golden-orange glow over the entire scene. There were at least half a dozen girls back at the Temple who would definitely swoon if they found themselves in a setting like this.

Mara stopped walking and felt Luke’s hand tug against hers as he, too, came to a halt. “I thought you said we should be discreet?” she said, heart suddenly in her throat. It wasn’t that she was worried about being alone with him; she’d just never actually been alone with him. Not like this. All the significant glances and furtive handholding over the last couple of weeks had been fun and exciting, but she hadn’t really allowed herself to imagine anything else. She wasn’t even sure what she was imagining now.

Luke drew closer to her, and she sensed his uncertainty. “We can go back,” he said gently. “I just thought… I mean, I know you don’t like crowds.”

Mara smiled a little to herself, then met his suddenly serious gaze. “I don’t,” she said, shifting even closer as she looked into his clear blue eyes. “But I thought you were worried about your parents finding out.”

She saw a tiny spark of mischief in his eyes as he nodded his head toward the secluded courtyard. “Less chance they’ll find out if we go somewhere private.”

Mara arched one eyebrow. “Subtlety really isn’t your forte, is it, Padawan Skywalker?”

He dipped his head toward hers quickly, pressing a soft kiss to her cheek. “I guess not, Padawan Jade,” he murmured.

Her eyelids fluttered for a second as his lips lingered against her skin. She wasn’t sure she would ever get used to that feeling, or the warmth that filled her every time they touched.

He pulled back and smiled at her. “What do you say?”

She squeezed his hand. “Lead on.”

They found a stone bench on the other side of the fountain, tucked in among the hedges. Mara spread out the skirt of her gown as she sat down, running her hands over the silky, dark blue material. “Your mom really shouldn’t have,” she said quietly, eyes still on the dress.

“She loves being able to dote on you,” Luke said. “And you look beautiful.” He reached out to play once more with her sleeve, but this time instead of mischief, she saw something else in his expression. Something she didn’t quite recognize but that nevertheless sent a warm shiver through her.

“You’re always beautiful,” he continued. “No matter what you wear.”

Mara inhaled quickly and put on a smirk. “You’re so full of flattery tonight.”

His fingers left her sleeve and rose to gently trace the line of her jaw. “It’s not flattery if I really mean it,” he said, and she saw a small smile quirk his mouth.

She shook her head a little at that, even as she leaned into his touch, wondering for the thousandth time how this obnoxiously perfect boy had managed to charm his way into her heart. She didn’t have very long to wonder, however, as he took her face in his hands and pressed his lips to hers.

It was only the second time they’d ever kissed like this. The first had been about two weeks ago, when they’d arrived back on Naboo for their holiday. She and Luke had been training near the lake, and when she complained about the summer heat, he’d scooped her up in his arms and begun to carry her toward the water. She’d threatened all manner of bodily harm, in a very undignified manner, and he’d finally stopped before the water could reach her. Just as she was realizing how close they were and how good it felt to be in his arms, he’d kissed her.

This was everything that first kiss had been, and more. Soft and slow and surprisingly sweet. She leaned into him, felt his fingers brush lightly against her neck and through her hair as the kiss deepened. She’d really never given much thought to how this would feel, and she’d always privately rolled her eyes a little at the girls who waxed poetic about romance and dates and love—

Oh no,
    she thought. That wasn’t what this was, was it? She had enough experience with people of various species and cultures to know that emotions were complex and that intense feelings often led to rash judgment. She also knew – she knew – that you couldn’t fall in love with someone so quickly, and that if you did, it definitely wasn’t real.

Luke pulled back, and she thought he looked a bit dazed. She felt him clearly in that moment, as open and honest as always; and she knew what he was going to say before he opened his mouth.

“Mara,” he whispered. “There’s something I want to tell you.”

She gripped his hand, fingers twining with his. “You shouldn’t,” she said softly. “Not yet.”

Was she imagining the leap of his heart at those words? Not yet. She knew what she’d said. She wasn’t ready to hear him say it, and she wasn’t ready to reciprocate out loud… but somehow it had become less a matter of if and more a matter of when.

Even if she couldn’t say those three words yet, even if she was a little afraid of the enormity of his feelings – and hers – she knew the truth deep down.

Mara inched closer to Luke and leaned her forehead against his, feeling the pure contentment that filled him in that moment. “Soon,” she whispered.

She kissed him again, and knew that there would never be anyone else.

~~

Padmé watched Luke and Mara from inside the gallery, the fragments of conversation behind her fading to white noise. She was so engrossed that she didn’t notice the wrap being placed around her shoulders.

She looked up to find Anakin gazing down at her, a knowing and faintly mischievous smile lighting his face. “Did you enjoy the exhibit?” he asked.

Padmé returned the smile and leaned back against his chest. “It was lovely,” she said as he wrapped his arms around her. They watched in silence for a moment as Luke leaned over to whisper something in Mara’s ear.

“Were we ever really that young?” Padmé asked a bit wistfully.

She felt Anakin’s chin rest atop of her head. “Technically, we were younger.”

Padmé turned in his arms and smacked him lightly on the shoulder. “Stop it. You know what I meant.”

Anakin laughed under his breath, then looked over her head at the kids. “What I want to know is if we were ever that obvious.”

“I’m pretty sure we were.”

She heard him laugh again; then he bent his head to the side and pressed a soft kiss to her temple. “I love you.”

Padmé closed her eyes for a moment, enjoying the simple pleasure of hearing her husband murmur those three words. She reached up one hand over her shoulder to stroke his cheek. In the garden, Luke took one of Mara’s hands in his.

“Do you think he told her?” Padmé whispered, as if speaking any louder would somehow break the spell that seemed to have fallen over the two teenagers.

“Not yet,” Anakin replied, equally quiet. “I don’t think she’s quite ready for that.”

“Are you ready?”

Anakin’s arms tightened around her. “Less than I’d thought I would be, and more than I can express.”

“Still,” Padmé said, “they’re just babies, really. Best not to rush them.”

They watched for a minute longer, then made their final rounds through the gallery. When it was time to leave, Luke and Mara finally reappeared, and Padmé pretended not to notice the fleeting seconds when their fingers intertwined, or the way they gazed at each other when they thought no one could see. She wouldn’t begrudge them their secrets now, not while their feelings were still so new. And even though she couldn’t touch the Force to glimpse the path ahead or gain insights into their futures, she knew – in a way that went beyond knowing – that the end of this story was a good one.

Fin

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
  2. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    MINE

Edit:
    It deeply amuses me to think of a teenage Leia insisting that she can never wear a dress because WHAT IF A LIGHTSABER FIGHT BREAKS OUT, especially when that's never actually happened :p

Yeah, seriously, just don't argue with Padmé about the social events. Just don't.

lolol, Padmé's not putting up with this nonsense, no sir

Canon!Leia is so good at the diplomacy and politics thing, and yet if she'd grown up like this I can really see her avoiding it like the plague [face_thinking]

Aw, lil Mara [face_love]

"At least one of my daughters lets me dress her up" [face_not_talking]

See?

Can you imagine going shopping in Padmé's closet [face_hypnotized]

My wee bebeh padawan gets to be happy and fancy [face_love]

Why do I feel like any benefit to Luke and Mara was definitely of secondary importance as far as Leia was concerned, benevolent act aside [face_thinking]

Luke's stubbornness has got nothing at all on Leia's

Hope springs eternal :p

YES. ALL THE FANCY DRESSES FOR MY WEE BEBEH.

I do not care how practical Mara is, you just can't tell me that she doesn't love a good evening gown. I have spoken [face_talk_hand]

Thinks he's so dashing trying to get away without his jacket :p

Aw [face_love]

I can just see them being quietly obnoxious teenagers here and it is ADORABLE

Aw, so smitten [face_love]

My wee bebehs [face_love]

*hums Sunrise, Sunset*

And yes, they were very, very obvious :p

Good job, darling! I knew you could write angstless fluff when you set your mind to it [face_batting] And you did say that I could pester you for more bebeh padawan fluff whenever I wanted, so prepare yourself for the inevitable [face_mischief]

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I loved Leia and Luke's relationship; so warm and natural. It feels so utterly right and natural them growing up together.

The L/M scene was just simply simply SCRUMPTIOUS! It makes so much sense and is in character totally that Mara isn't ready, yet for hearing those three words. Luke is adorbs which is absolutely in character for him, so smitten it's ridiculous! [face_laugh]

The A/P was tender and sweet.

Thank you for sharing this nummy!

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    ViariSkywalker likes this.
  4. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    WELL, HELLO THERE, BUT THIS STORY JUST BANGED DOWN MY DOORS AND HIT ME RIGHT WHERE I LIVE!!! YEEEEEES FOR ALL THE HAPPY SKYWALKER FAMILY AUs. [face_dancing] [face_love]

I'll be back with more feedback, but I had to let you know that my initial reaction was in all caps. ;) [:D]

5. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Nicely written. I really love L/M stories! [:D]

6. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    @Gabri_Jade
    Tell me this isn't EXACTLY how Leia would be if she was raised by Anakin Skywalker. :p [face_whistling]

As much as I love the idea the twins being raised by Anakin, I'm equally amused and intrigued at the thought of how being raised by Padmé would have shaped them. Mom!Padmé would have been quite a woman to behold, methinks. [face_thinking]

As you know, I was a little worried that Leia would seem out of character here, because of the life and career path she had in canon; but at the same time, I really can't see her turning out much different than this, had she been raised by her birth parents and allowed a relatively peaceful and stable upbringing without the looming threat of the Empire. It seems anytime I write a Leia who is raised Force-sensitive, whether by Anakin or by Vader, she ends up being as feisty and fearless as she was on the first Death Star, but dialed up even more. I do think she possesses a natural diplomatic talent; I just think she's less inclined to use it at this age. :p

She's so precious and smol. [face_love]

Right??? [face_laugh] Padmé and Mara is a dynamic I've found I enjoy quite a lot.

I feel like this could be a whole vignette series: Padmé's family members going shopping in her closet. :p [face_batting]

And Luke is just happy seeing her so happy. :D

That's totally why she did it, Gabri. [face_whistling]

This is the absolute truth, right here. But man, there really is a lot of stubbornness in this family. Yikes.

And you know I agree with this wholeheartedly. ;)

Teenage boys. :p (My gosh, I'm going to have three of these at once someday. Luckily I've got some time before that happens, but still... [face_hypnotized]

This exchange may have been loosely inspired by one of your favorite bits of dialogue in SQ... [face_batting]

Snarky lil bebehs. :p

I really enjoyed writing them this way, even if I did put up a bit of a fuss about the lack of angst. :p But they're so adorable and smitten, it's ridiculous. [face_love]

Seriously, how did the Jedi Order and the media and the whole dang Republic not catch onto them? o_O

I'm still in a bit of disbelief over the fact that this is the first story I've completed that is both happy and romantic, with not a trace of angst to be seen. Over eighteen years posting fic on this site, and this is the first time? You know, I always thought I was sort of kidding about the angst-monger thing, but I guess it really is true... [face_whistling]

Anyway, I'm glad you liked it, dearest, and I was very happy to write you some wee padawan Mara content. [:D] Pester away, though I make no promises that any future stories will come together as quickly as this one did. [face_mischief] [face_batting]

(Unless maybe you challenge me, because apparently that's a good way to get me to write things. :p)

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha
    This is good to hear! It's fun imagining how the two of them would have been different growing up together, but I have to think they would have been best friends. :D

I'm glad that seemed in character. I think it's a bit more of a challenge (for me, at least) to write Mara in such a radically AU setting, simply because so much of what we associate with her is affected by her upbringing and training under Palpatine. Exploring a Mara free of those influences is a challenge, but a welcome one!

I do enjoy writing them as the healthy, loving couple they could have been, in another life. :) [face_love]

@Mira_Jade
    Hee, your initial capslocky reaction totally made my day!! :D I agree, there can never be enough happy Skywalker AUs! [face_love] Take your time on feedback; I'm not going anywhere. ;) [:D]

@Jedi_Lover
    Thank you so much! I'm glad you liked it! :D

7. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Still reading from my phone, so there shall be no quoting from me... loved this and I didnt realize how much I needed a happier family with a side of romance until right now. Well done.

8. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    @DaenaBenjen42
    Aw, I'm really glad to hear this hit just the right spot! [face_blush] I do plan to expand on this world one of these days. :D Thanks so much for the reply!

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  9. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Ha! Funny you should say that, because here I finally am with feedback, so much later than I first wanted to be. Darn DRL. *shakes fist* But I'M HERE NOW! :D [face_dancing] [face_love]

You know it's bad if Anakin Skywalker is trying to tell Leia to chill. Just a little bit. [face_laugh]

Unstoppable force, meet immovable object! [face_laugh] I just loved this section, and this paragraph in particular. The entire Skywalker family dynamic just felt so lived in and real. And Padmé is just such a queen! Regal and graceful as ever. [face_love]

This. Honestly, you managed to put one of my favorite things about Luke and Mara's relationship in any 'verse into words: Mara being herself with Luke, and Luke just basking in how bright she shines. Perfect. [face_love]

[face_laugh] [face_mischief] Yep, Leia, that was all for Luke, wasn't it? But, really, an added bonus when she is just all too happy to help. :p

Aw! THESE TWO!!! First of all, they are adorable if they think they are hiding anything from anyone - especially when Anakin already has a good idea about what's going on - but they are just dears for their reasons for wanting to keep their relationship quiet to start and just how bad they are at hiding it. [face_laugh] [face_love] :p

Luke cleans up nice, doesn't he? As does Mara! Yeeees, all the fancy clothes! :D

Plus, I loved the idea of Padmé scolding Luke for being too 'casual' in a formal setting. [face_laugh]

Just. So. Dang. Adorable. Every word of this. [face_love]

Aw! What a perfect first kiss scenario. And so gorgeously worded in your prose.

I was worried that my grin would be permanently stuck to my face at this point, even on my second read. Seeing Anakin and Padmé at such a healthy and mature point in their marriage, reminiscing and just being so happy together. Yep. That gets me where I live. Every time. [face_love]

I could have quoted everything, honestly, but again, the beauty of your writing here was just, well - beautiful. A gorgeous way to conclude a gorgeous story!

Thank-you so much for sharing this gem with us! I definitely wouldn't mind seeing more from this 'verse if you are ever so inspired. ;) [face_love] =D=

[:D]

Gabri_Jade and ViariSkywalker like this.
  10. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    @Mira_Jade
    [:D]

I do love the idea of a mature Anakin Skywalker dealing with a teenager who is every bit the force of nature that he is was. [face_mischief]

I'm really pleased that the dynamic reads that way! :D Even though this is the first complete story I've written for this 'verse, the world has existed in my head for quite some time now, so I'm sure that helps it feel more real when I do write it. My gosh, the twins being raised by Padmé is something I will never tire of reading about.

[face_blush] [face_blush] This really means a lot to me, that you think I managed to capture the unique dynamics of Luke and Mara's relationship, even in such an AU setting.

Of course it was all for Luke, why would you think otherwise? [face_whistling] [face_whistling]

Twin dynamics, I'm telling you. Not that I'm partial to them or anything. [face_mischief]

Kids think they're so stealthy, lol. [face_laugh] And it's adorable that they're worried about what Anakin will say, when Anakin and Padmé know exactly what's going on and are more than fine with it. :p

SO MANY FANCY CLOTHES!

I mean, it takes effort to describe them all, but I do love the end result. [face_love] (And Luke thinks he's so dashing here, typical teenager ditching his jacket, which... okay, I guess he sort of is. He's Anakin and Padmé's kid, after all. :p)

They're so precious, I can't even. [face_love]

You know me and beaches. [face_batting] It was also a teeny, tiny nod to VotF. I figured water played a role in those events, so why not here, too? :p

Same, girl. SAME. [face_love] (One of many reasons I love your Song!verse. :D)

[face_blush] Well shucks, thank you!

Oh, there will be more, Mira. There will definitely be more. [face_mischief]

It was so great reading your thoughts on this, thank you so much for commenting! [:D]

Mira_Jade likes this.
  11. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I was trawling through your fics looking for something light and fluffly, because it's Christmas and I'm in the mood for light and fluffy, and I happily stumbled upon this gem. I also went and had a look at your Fancy Dress Story draft for context, so this is something of a 2-in-1 review.

I absolutely love the concept of tomboy Leia, and it's a great AU twist that, in this 'verse where she isn't the princess of Alderaan, she would make a fuss every time she has to dress in fancy eveningwear. It's also a great AU twist that this version of Mara didn't grow up surrounded by finery, so she appreciates said finery for what it is, not for being a symbol of her status and power in the Imperial hierarchy. The Skywalker family setup with Mara reminded me of Mira_Jade's Song!verse up to a point, but as I understand it here Mara isn't quite-quite part of the family, at least not yet, and I interpreted the fact that she gets for the first time to pick one of Padmé's gowns as an indication of the fact that she's taking a step to becoming part of the family this evening. (Also, your description of the dress sounds gorgeous.)

Another great little AU twist was the way you transformed Luke and Mara's Force bond from Legends into a padawan bond. It made their relationship feel very much in-character, even in this happy 'verse where they fall in love as teenagers. And this is all very teenage stuff – how they've kissed only once before, how she thinks that being romantic is so very uncool, how they're hiding (or think that they're hiding) from the parents, and how Mara is still tentative about making this relationship A Thing through Those Three Words. Meanwhile, grownup, mature Anakin and Padmé was a treat, and it was nice to see them realise that they were "that obvious" too – but in their case, in the very public galactic spotlight.

=D=