main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics 2.0 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Nov 11, 2020.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Fixed.

2. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    Well, yes, that too...

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  3. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016

Stefanik keeps saying Trump is the president, not Biden, and that that's who they work for. She did it on Bannon's show and in her celebratory press conference today.

So no, there is no post-Trump RQ party, and we can't stop talking about this malignancy that we'd all like to move on from but can't get away from.

4. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Israel has the right to exist, but not the right to special deference or the right to bully Palestine.

My stance summed up.

6. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Greene might end as the first Congress person with a restraining order against her from other members of congress

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  7. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Palestine is poor and doesn't have its own standing army which is why Hamas fills in that gap in the imbalance of power. But all the Hamas rockets in the world won't stop Israel's 'evictions' and 'settlers', which are just friendly terms for ethnic cleansing.

Meanwhile also simultaneously going on right now is the fact the leader of Israel - what a coincidence - is accused of being corrupt and is on trial. He's also a minority prime minister that cobbles together a coalition to remain in power barely. And they can't seem be rid of him yet.

Reuters - Explainer: Israel's Netanyahu faces legal trial and political tribulations

Trial of Benjamin Netanyahu - Wikipedia

CNBC - What’s next for Israel? 70% of Israelis see a fifth election happening
    • Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s 28-day deadline to form a government expired at midnight Tuesday.
    • His failure to build a governing coalition with enough support from multiple parties means another politician will get a shot at trying it again — with another 28-day deadline.

While all this nonsense has been going on for decades regardless of who the U.S. leader is, Biden's seemingly unyielding support even for Israel's present government is one of the worst things about him. But I'm not naive enough after all this time to believe if somebody else was president that this latest war wouldn't have happened anyway even if the rhetoric was different.

8. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

I look forward to this.

blackmyron likes this.
  9. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    well the reality is that Israel is being given special deference and is also bullying the Palestinians, both have been true for decades.

the US provides Israel with billions of dollars worth of military aid, how is that not special deference?

and how is forcibly removing people from their homes not bullying, I mean ‘bullying’ is putting it lightly here?

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  10. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Agreed. I call it ethnic cleansing. One of my cis sister-figures and I are going to a protest in Seattle on Sunday about it.

11. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Why do people's accusations bother you? When have you seen me shy away from arguing for what I believe is right because someone tries to accuse me of something?

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That’s my point. I am not defending the US position on Israel under either Democratic or Republican administrations here.

13. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    There’s a difference between the two?

14. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    The Democrats are not honest brokers since their fallback position is to take
    Israel's side like too many counties do. The Republicans want to lob nukes at Palestine and the Middle East in general in order to start the Rapture so they can take a magic carpet ride to heaven before it happen and hangout with white conservative Jesus who in their mind will be checking for tattoos at the door and making sure everyone uses the proper bathroom. That's the difference.

Meanwhile Gaetz's buddy is fully cooperating therefore has flipped on Congressman Butthead:

I wonder if Meathead DeSantis will try to save Gaetz & Trump now.

15. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Of course he will.

The real question is, will he succeed?

16. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Aren't these crimes/investigations on the fed level? DeSantis can't pardon Gaetz for Federal crimes. And although he may try to ignore extradition to NY state, under the cover of a friendly FL governor, what's Trump going to do, live in FL for the remainder of his days. Never set foot outside of the state again. Only visit Trump states with Governors who kiss his ass.

I mean. Probably. But still.

blackmyron likes this.
  17. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Vaderize03 No he won't but like Governor Wallace many moons ago, DeSantis is trying to make a show of it for Redneck America in order to springboard it into a presidential run. One problem though? He thinks Trump won't turn on him if he tries but fails at stopping it. Wrong. Trump will be sending out press releases from prison saying "DeSantis is a miserable failure!" & that be it for Governor Meathead.

Yes @DarkGingerJedi that is one possibility but not likely. It be kind of funny to watch him under house arrest in Florida which is kinda of what he is under right now. In the end DeSantis will cave but again needs to put up "a fight" for the Rednecks.

18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    This has now become genuinely terrifying. Everyone who voted to overturn the Presidential Election and everyone who has even hinted that Trump may still be the President since the Insurrection needs to be removed from power and barred from ever holding federal office again. There is no time to trifle with these people. They are dangerous and if you think they will hesitate should a chance come again to completely overthrow the democratic process (such as it is), you are wrong. This contingent is a cancer inside our democracy (again, such as it is) and they should be cut out of our government in the same way you remove a tumor from a human body. No more games; their intentions have been established from their own mouths: the destruction of democracy in America. They will do it if they can. Mark my words.

19. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Stefanik says republicans are united and "working with "President Trump" "

8-}

20. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    He won't lift a finger for Gaetz. Before his legal woes Gaetz was a rival to him in this latest form of the Republican Party. All DeSantis has to do is ignore what is happening with Gaetz as quietly as he can and let him implode. The right-wing media will certainly be a friend to him in that.

That wouldn't be her only potential problem.

Yodaminch, Juliet316 and blackmyron like this.
  21. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    oops

22. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Assuming their not false, then they don't. But this isn't about the potential accusations, this is about a lack of interest in getting involved in a discussion that's been going on (and getting increasing heated and messy) for over seventy years and can only lead to either (or, more likely, both) sides coming at me. I don't see the point.

Never, and as much as I'm up for a good debate now and again, when it comes to one as inherently messy and heated as the Arab/Israeli one, it's not something I'm interested in partaking in.

Well, all I can say is Congress come a long way from duels to the death and beating people up with with canes...

23. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    At least in the cane-beating days, they'd throw the person out (technically).

24. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Actually IIRC the motion to expel Preston Brooks from the house failed.

25. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    He did that whole "quit when in trouble then get reelected", so it was meant as a 'technically' in that regard.

Last edited: May 15, 2021