main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

10.5%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

42.1%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

5.3%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

36.8%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

5.3%
  1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    honestly i think it's more that sga got hurt. i mean i guess keeping horford out can be considered a tanking move, but the guys they are throwing out there are trying to show they belong in the nba. they're not missing shots or playing bad defense on purpose.

Runjedirun likes this.
  2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    There's an argument to be made that in the aggregate, it borders on defrauding paying customers.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  3. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    The Mavericks have a cupcake schedule the rest of the way, so it’s safe to assume they won’t be dropping out of the 5th seed.

The Blazers picked up a much needed win over the Lakers tonight. Not only did it make it difficult for LA to finish ahead of them in the standings, but it was the first game this season where Portland has had fans in attendance. The players were so happy to be able to play in front of their fans.

4. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Russ ties the record and gets the block for the win.

But Bradley Beal is hurt.

5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    At the beginning of the season I thought he’d come close but fall short, but he’s tied it and he’s going to pass it despite getting off to a slow start due to a serious quad injury, which is one of the worst injuries you can have because that’s where your burst comes from.

A record I thought would never be broken or even approached. Pretty amazing.

6. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    When I was growing up, the idea of anyone averaging a triple-double for a season again seemed as unlikely as another 100-point game. It just wasn't discussed as a possibility.

Westbrook has done it multiple times.

DarthIntegral and DarthTunick like this.
  7. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Not to mention the Wizards were out for 2 weeks in January for Covid, their schedule lately has been back to back after back to back.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  8. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    It might be best for them to sit Beal until the play in. Yeah, they’re basically even with Indiana for the nine spot, but it’s more important to have Beal as healthy as possible.

This season has been a war of attrition. It may come down to who is healthiest more than anything else. Teams I did not seriously consider before have a real chance.

Phoenix is just about fully healthy and has a real chance. With their lack of experience, I wouldn’t give them a chance if other teams didn’t have injury concerns. Young legs will be a real advantage this year. CP3 will need to keep his hamstrings attached.

Runjedirun likes this.
  9. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Mostly a great goddamn game; more of these would be, well, preferable. :p Caruso’s energy tonight was a good touch, too.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  10. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Jaylen Brown is out for the season with a torn ligament in his wrist. Typical of their season.

I think it’s logical to question whether Stevens will be back. He’s been there eight seasons, which is an eternity for a coach in today’s NBA, and while he’s reached the ECF three times and has exceeded expectations at times, he hasn’t gotten them over the top. This season has been a step back and big disappointment, and fatigue seems to have set in. They might need someone new. We’d definitely be questioning his job security if it was just about any other team.

Runjedirun likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Miles Bridges has Covid, and the Hornets’ schedule this week ranges between the Wizards and “we’re ****ed”. Nuggets, Clippers and Knicks.

For the first quarter last night, PJ Washington lost the ability to accurately shoot a basketball into the ocean. Thankfully he turned it around but Ball and Monk are precarious with their injuries and I really wish we had Hayward back.

I’ll believe we’re in the playoffs when I see the schedule.

Darkslayer likes this.
  12. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
    It depends on how much Boston Ownership blames Danny Ainge. Which I presume will not be a lot even though he deserves it. However, you’re right... they’ve given him piece after piece and he just can’t make it work. I do not know how involved he is in pursuing free agents and the decision making process, but either way, the team has been a major disappointment

13. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    You’re all but clinched for the play in. You’re up four games on Chicago with four games to go. You’d have to lose out and they’d have to win out against Milwaukee, Toronto, and Brooklyn twice.

The site I’m looking at gives you a 99.8% chance to make the play in.

You could get bounced after one or two games play in games but they should be exciting, do or die games.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  14. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Celebrated with my son when the record was broken. We were watching together. Would have been nice if the Wizards won, but considering Wall was out a 1 point loss is not bad.

tom, CT-867-5309 and Juliet316 like this.
  15. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Hachimura blew a bunch of plays for them.

I was really excited to see what Russ and Brad could do in the play in, but it looks to me like Brad won’t be near 100%. Bummer.

That’s the story with a lot of teams, though. Brooklyn, Charlotte, Boston, Lakers, Nuggets, GS, maybe Clippers and Utah.

16. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Hawks clinched their play-off spot! Who saw that coming a few months ago? WOJ's podcast this week is a Trae Young interview. Glad he's finally getting some more positive attention.

17. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    plz plz plz plz-- it's "playoff." That has bothered me since before I was a teenager.

18. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    KNICKS MADE THE PLAYOFFS. WHO'S LOLING NOW?

19. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Do you remember what they look like?

20. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'm sure your comment was meant out of solidarity, but i still feel like pointing out that the knicks have been in the playoffs a lot more recently than the suns.

Point Given and KnightWriter like this.
  21. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I love a good graph, and this one is beautiful. Net-rating after the all-star game minus net-rating before the all-star game. Didn't realize Dallas had been that good since the break. And didn't realize OKC was that much worse than the rest of the Tank-five.

[​IMG]

Of course, putting that OKC Tank into even more perspective:

22. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I’m ready for the playoffs, I’ve been ready for a while lol

It seems pretty wide open, especially with all of the banged up teams, I have no idea who will be in the championship?

hoping that either Philadelphia or Milwaukee can beat out the Nets in the east

and for the west, I have no idea, I kind of hope Phoenix, Utah, or even Portland can make a run, but it’ll probably end up being one of the LA teams

I’m actually kind of curious about the whole play-in thing, I don’t really like the idea of it, but I guess it’ll make for an exciting week of basketball, maybe?

Runjedirun likes this.
  23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    thing is that they would have had a play-in this year even without the new rule, as the warriors and grizzlies will be playing for the 8 spot on sunday no matter what happens tonight.

Runjedirun likes this.
  24. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    And still, credit to the play-in rules, because that game still has meaning. Real, tangible meaning. You win, and as the 8-seed, you can lose and not be eliminated. You lose, and at the 9-seed, you have to win two games in a row because a single loss eliminates you.

I know the play-in tournament isn't perfect and we don't want 20/30 teams advancing to some kind of playoff ... but it really kinda works.

25. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    oh i wasn't complaining. it's just kind of a fluke because a sort of natural play-in game like that has only happened like 3 times in history or something.

DarthIntegral and Runjedirun like this.