main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Fanfiction Interview Thread - Current Interview: Vehn

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by devilinthedetails , Feb 6, 2020.

1. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Have you ever watched Firefly?

If you have, what are a few of your favorite quotes/moments?

If you haven't, why not?

Do you think I'm the only one in this thread who only just registered the possible significance of the fact that the main villain of Solo is named Dryden Vos?

devilinthedetails likes this.
  2. Ihsan997

Ihsan997 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 7, 2021
    1. Another tough question! I like so many different kinds, but there is a special place in my heart for places unlike Earth. Solaris (the novel, not the American film) fascinated me because the environment was truly alien.

2. This is tough in the sense that I don’t even know how to answer…there’s very little that I don’t like. Even a mundane Earth-like planet can hold me attention so long as there’s a good story occurring on it.

3. Well, there are plenty of feline and reptiles, so no more of those. Perhaps a cnidarian species based on starfish? Yes, sentient starfish commanding dreadnaughts.

4. Marvel had the Kree-Skrull War, and seeing that spill over into the Star Wars galaxy would certainly lead to some interesting hijinx!

5. The borg. Definitely the borg. I don’t think any entity could pose a challenge quite like the evil assimilators.

I’d assume either a golden retriever or a German shepherd. Not a simple guard dog, but rather, a loyal breed which would be useful in seeking out bounty targets and pinning them down. I know that’s a little formulaic, but it’s foremost in my mind.

3. Ihsan997

Feb 7, 2021
    I know this will sound terrible, but I haven’t seen Firefly yet. It’s one of those fandoms where the detailed service by the community in terms of fiction, RP, and analysis proves the show’s quality at some level, and so I have no doubt that there must be something worthwhile in it. Despite that, I still haven’t taken the time to starting it. I suppose that part of it is fear of disappointment…one of my greatest sources of disappointment was Deadwood because it was ended before its time had come. My understanding of Firefly - and this is from an outsider, so I may be wrong - is that the same thing occurred: the show was ended too early. That drives me nuts, and that could be why I haven’t delved into it so far.

You’re not alone, btw! Some of us know, even at an elementary level, the difference between voseo and tuteo (even if my Spanish sounds like I’m a tongue-tied lush).

Gamiel and devilinthedetails like this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Sorry the borg are not in the public domain. Try again.

5. Ihsan997

Feb 7, 2021
    My bad, I didn’t know that. Is there a quick list somewhere of fantasy species/groups in the public domain? Like on a writing website?

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Here is one, but it's not that good Category:Alien Species | Public Domain Super Heroes | Fandom
    Ad to it anything created by H.G. Wells, and H.P. Lovecraft. All mythological creators. At least the creators from the first Barsoom books by Edgar Rice Burroughs. And lots of other stuff I can't come up with right now.

7. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I'm not sure I got that far when I was learning Spanish. I was actually referring to the possibility that Dryden might be part (or maybe fully, IDK) Kiffar, seeing as how he has the same last name as Quinlan Vos.

8. Ihsan997

Feb 7, 2021
    Oh, you’re right! I forgot that the works of Burroughs and Lovecraft are in the public domain; I didn’t know that Wells was on that list too, but that’s good to know. You know, a budding student of the Force marooned on Barsoom and surrounded by the green Martians would certainly be interesting. I’d pay to see that.

That’s actually even more direct, and more insightful, than what I’d been thinking. Perhaps there is…Quinlan was also near-human, if I recall correctly. Perhaps Dryden Vos was a hybrid of several near-human species? Man, that guy needs his own backstory to Han’s backstory. He was a great villain.

9. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Once again, my apologies for sadly neglecting this thread! :oops:I blame it on my new Teen Librarian job keeping me very busy right now.

Anyway, now that I am no longer neglecting this thread, I would like to thank @Ihsan997 for being interviewed!=D=

Next up, we have the opportunity to interview the wonderful @Mechalich!:D

@Mechalich:

1. What are some of your favorite genres to read?
    2. If you could visit any Star Wars planet, which would it be and why?
    2. What current Star Wars project (Mandalorian, High Republic, etc.) has you most excited and why?
    3. What do you enjoy most about writing fanfic and why?
    4. What do you think is the most challenging thing about writing fanfic and why?

Ihsan997 and Gamiel like this.
  10. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Yay, I'm up.

In terms of fiction, mostly fantasy and science fiction. In recent years I've gravitated towards more grounded subgenres within those though, mostly Hard SF and lower-magic fantasy settings. Non-fiction wise I read a lot of history and natural history - I will read almost anything available about the history of Central Asia, extinct mammals, or sharks (I own six different textbooks about sharks, it's a whole thing).

Voss. It's got gorgeous scenery, complex and intriguing history, interesting biodiversity, a split-lineage sapient species with a unique culture, crazy mysticism, and you can ride a giant cybernetically enhanced warbeast around without needing to wear an environment suit. What's not to love?

Probably Ahsoka. I like what little we've seen of Rosario Dawson in the role, and I'm up for any show that offers a possible glimpse into the Unknown Regions (also live action space whale-squids, Filoni please, please make this happen). Mandalorian's been great so far too, and I have high hopes for the Boba Fett show but none of the other stuff has really grabbed me.

Now, if they announce a Dr. Aphra show (and it's been rumored) I will be first in line for that.

I like filling in the gaps. Most of my fanfiction - across franchises - focuses on taking some little nugget of tantalizing but poorly detailed lore and expanding it into a much larger narrative. That's why I tend to utilize minor characters or OCs and rarely use the leads from any franchise. I'm much less interested in expounding on someone who's story has already been well told.

For me: accurately representing a pre-existing romance. Writing convincing romance is something I struggle with generally, but I find it particularly nerve wracking to try and emulate pre-existing emotional chemistry. It goes double when the romance is rocky, or troubled, or involves some other complication. I never want to deal with Anakin/Padme again. Honestly, I can't even believe I did it the one time.

Gamiel and devilinthedetails like this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Favourite parings in SW ?

Favourite parings in non-SW fandoms?

Favourite crack parings? In any fandoms.

Any parings (canon or fanon) that have great chemistry but should not get together? In any fandom.

Have you read Sven Hedin? It was not history when it was written but describe the then current Central Asia when he was exploring it during the late 19th-centary and earlier 20th centery, which is history now.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  12. Mechalich

Feb 2, 2010
    I am probably the last person to ask about pairings, but sure, why not, let's get crazy.

Cipher 9/Kayilo Djannis - Kaliyo is the best companion in SWTOR and her romance is the best romance. I will fight people!
    Zayne Carrick/Jarael - this romance manages to be sweet, heartfelt, and not cloying while still having a believable Jedi as one of the main participants, a major rarity.

Since we're talking about fanfic here I've got to show my support for Claymore, so Helen X Deneve, who are totally a couple even though it's never exactly confirmed in canon.

I support Obi-Wan/Asajj Ventress. It feels like a missed opportunity that it didn't happen.

Lana Benniko/Theron Shan. I mean technically they're both romanceable by the Outlander so it's not canon, but it feels like this is a thing that's happening and at the same time it feels like a terrible decision by both parties.

My scholarship hasn't progressed to the point of reading 19th century authors as primary sources. The name is familiar and I'm certain I've seen bits excerpted, but that sort of thing is a long ways off. Also, I'm more interested in the pre-industrial period than more contemporary times (especially because the modern history of the region is brutally grim). And, I've found 19th century travelogues to be heavy going. It took an awful lot of airport time to get through Voyage of the Beagle, a book I'm practically professionally obligated to own, and I still haven't finished The Malay Archipelago.

devilinthedetails and Gamiel like this.
  13. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Standard Cat Questions:
    Do you think cats should wear cute hats? Why or Why not?

Who in SW (any period) do you think is more of a cat or a dog person and why?

What do you think of Millicent the cat? Should she get her own Disney spin-off?

14. Mechalich

Feb 2, 2010

Cats should only wear cute hats if they want to. In my experience, cats are very good at telling people what they want. We should all be grateful for that fashion-conscious portion of the feline kingdom that desires to wear cute hats.

Han, Luke, and Leia - all dog people. Lando - cat person. Best pet owner in GFFA: Embo. Who's a good terrestrial chiropteran? Is it you, yes it is, now go eat Anakin Skywalker's face.

I have no issue with actual Earth animals being canon (it's a tradition as old as the Ewok films), but nothing from the ST, no not even a cat no matter how cute, should be dignified with a spin off. It must all be cleansed (yeah, I have, um, strong views on the subject of those films).

15. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    Followup questions:
    What about Millicent's potential lothcat grandparent in the Mandalorian, the one who hissed at Baby Yoda? Do you think it should get a spinoff? Or be included in Season 3 of the Mandalorian where Din Djarin finds a surprise in his shoe? or in the Book of Boba Fett.

What other fandoms do you like?

Favourite animal(s) and why?

16. Mechalich

Feb 2, 2010

I'm cool with cats showing up in background shots, but it's hardly a priority. My understanding is that most cats are very hard to work with on set (there's an hilarious little documentary on Netflix right now about a cat named Abututu who became famous in the Netherlands for having a very rare film and TV compatible temperament).

Hmm...fandom is such a tricky concept. Most of the things I follow are fairly discrete series that don't really bleed across different forms of media. I suppose Three Kingdoms counts, since I keep buying Dynasty Warriors games. Is Disgaea a fandom? I edited their wiki some once upon a time, I suppose that qualifies.

Sharks, because obviously. Also Dryinid Wasps, because horrifying death machines need love too.

Oh, and I'll take your cats and raise you a catshark:
    [​IMG]
    Fear the combination of sharkness and cuteness!

17. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    If you want waspy death machines, look no further than the infamous Asian Giant Hornet aka Murder Hornet.

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Best shark based aliens/similar, in SW and other fandoms?

Best wasp based aliens/similar, in SW and other fandoms?

Best wasp themed group/s or people, in any fandoms?

Best shark themed group/s or people, in any fandoms?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  19. Mechalich

Feb 2, 2010
    It's probably Karkarodons, even if they play up bad stereotypes. At least they look cool.

The choices being Colicoids, Geonosians, or Killiks; I'll take Colicoids (they have stingers, which means they're wasps), because Killiks are every bad 'hive mind' misunderstanding all rolled into one and Geonosians have never done much for me. Besides, a species willing to use its own morphs as deadly toxic bioweapons is right up my alley.

Well, the best known example is probably the Buggers, from the Ender's Game universe. Considering that popped into my head first I might have to give it to them, much as it pains me. The best example of an arthropod species in science fiction, and it's not even close, are the spiders from Adrian Tschaikovsky's Children of Time, and the modified ants they use as slaves/industrial machinery might actually be the best non-sapient wasps.

DC's King Shark, especially the Harley Quinn cartoon version, who is a perfect combination of lovably nerdy and terrifyingly ultraviolent.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Favourite non-human species and why?

Favourite SW culture and why?

What fictional culture would you like to see used as an inspiration in SW and how?

What real life culture would you like to see used as an inspiration in SW and how?

If you could change something in SW, what would it be?

What SF technology that have not appeared in SW would you like to see appear?

Fandoms beside SW you are part of/follow?

What kind of food pie do you prefer? Meat, chicken, cheese, ham & broccoli or something else?

21. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    Favourite shark?

Favourite species of catshark?

Would you accept this cute wingless ichneumon wasp into your list of cool wasps? (Gelis sp.)

[​IMG]

devilinthedetails and Gamiel like this.
  22. Mechalich

Feb 2, 2010

So, um, it's probably the Kyuzo, because Embo is awesome and I totally created a copycat character and used him in a lengthy fanfic novel. It's kind of ridiculous that a species conceived in such base fashion - hey lets name them after a character from Seven Samurai in our Seven Samurai tribute episode - managed to be consistently awesome.

The Hutts. It's the one Star Wars culture that's both substantial enough to show up in a whole lot of stories and that is also separate from sort of generic Star Wars spacer culture in which everyone behaves basically the same even if they have blue skin or horns on their head or whatever. The Hutts feel real and different and they have this genuinely alien cruelty that's managed to evolve beyond the sort of mobster parody that Jabba started out as and I think it's one of the cooler things to have emerged from the EU.

The Mri, from CJ Cherryh's Faded Sun Trilogy. They are still (the novels were originally published from 1978-1979) one of the best realized alien species in the history of science fiction with an ethos - 'We are the face that looks outward' - that is very well fitted to Star Wars. Also, a Mri Jedi would be awesome.

The Khmer Empire. SE Asia doesn't get enough love generally for all its bounteous cultural diversity, and the Khmer achievements were substantial and also fairly distinct. The one written source for the civilization - a Chinese emissary named Zhou Daguan - paints this picture of a distinct society with all sorts of weird features (like how the king supposedly fought/copulated with a serpent spirit every night) that would be great fun to throw into Star Wars.

You mean aside from using the World Between Worlds to cast the Sequel Trilogy and all directly related works out of the primary timeline forever? Hmm...oh, right...I'd change the ending of the Dark Nest trilogy so that the Chiss exterminated the Killiks forever. Purge all Troy Denning-spawned horrors from the GFFA!

I'm no sure there really are that many, it's just most of them are really obscure (lots of stuff shows up in hidden places in SWTOR, like teleporting and digital uploading). It's not exactly a technology, but I'd like to see the universe do something with rogue planets (meaning actual planets that are found free-floating in interstellar space not Zonama Sekot stuff).

This was already sort of asked, but I'm not really active in any other fandoms. At least not currently. My fanfiction.net page holds the evidence of followed fandoms past. 545,000 words of fanfic devoted to Naruto, and countless forum posts...I no longer have any words to address that.

I guess chicken? Not really a big food pie person.

Hexanchus griseus, the Bluntnose Sixgill Shark. This clip ought to bring everyone up to speed on this particular deep sea marvel.

Apristurus brunneus, the Brown Catshark, because I wrote a story featuring them once.

Yes. And the wingless wasps are always the cutest ones. Like these velvet ants (which are not actually ants, but have their own family the Mutillidae)

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    True that.

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Any podcast you would like to recommend?

What kind of Force traditions would you like to see appear in the new canon?

What would you like to see in the future of SW?

What kind of things would you like people writing about in the fanon-thread?

What kind of things do you think the old EU was bad at creating or providing information about that you think would have existed or you find yourself needing for stories?

25. Mechalich

Feb 2, 2010
    Honestly, I mostly only listen to podcasts for cheesy sports commentary. I'd recommend the PBS Eons Youtube channel for anyone interested in paleontology though.

I'd like to see more traditions that aren't just 'here's species X's homegrown Force tradition' or 'here's how this one weird planet thinks about the Force.' Even though there have been some good things to come out of that approach, like the Voss Mystics, that's always felt like the lazy way to put one together. I'd also like to see force traditions that are not martially oriented. Too many of the non-Jedi traditions that have been created have been primarily focused on whatever non-lightsaber fighting style their creator thought would be cool. I feel like we don't see the Force used for something other than violence nearly enough.

Hmm, that's a tricky question. I think it behooves Star Wars to go for more smaller to mid-sized stories, since the Disney Era seems to crash and burn every time they go big, but they've had success with somewhat smaller stories, including the Mandalorian (for now), and Dr. Aphra. I'd also like to see Disney try to make a real push to expand the EU talent pool, especially in the prose department. While the Legends Era novels weren't exactly the best written fiction on the planet there's somehow been a distinct drop-off in talent under Disney, which is just embarrassing (admittedly I haven't read all that much of it, but Light of the Jedi was truly distressing considering how hyped that book was).

I don't usually borrow other fanficcer's stuff, but I guess as a theoretical construct I'd like to see more work, and more stories generally, detailing significant but poorly known bits of the lore. For example, there are a number of supposedly hugely important Core Worlds such as Alsakan that basically never get more than referenced in existing material and about which we have almost no data.

As a franchise, Star Wars has always been so relentlessly focused on warfare that it consistently struggles to provide any details on the lives on ordinary people. We actually have a better understanding of the lives of settlers on remote planets (in part because video game characters get sent to help them out all the time) or people living in extreme urban poverty (also because video game characters tend to visit 'undercities' a lot) but very little understanding of what life for an average person in the GFFA might be like. How big is their home, how many droids do they own, how often do they travel, what sort of community institutions exist? Stuff like that. The EU provided tons of military history, but very little social history.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021