main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Second time around for the springtime meadow of wildflowers & berries challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by earlybird-obi-wan, May 10, 2021.

1. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Second time around for the springtime meadow of wildflowers & berries challenge
    Author: Earlybird-obi-wan

Timeframe: Legends: beyond
    Genre: multi chapter story
    Characters: Tarhin Engaron, Ivano Arvedai and others

Time-frame 139 ABY

Story set after 'Flowers of evil' and 'Halcyon green' and 'Perfect match'

Prologue

Moniron, an obscure planet in the outer rim of the galaxy, was unknown to the Galactic Federation Triumvirate. Its place on the starmap had been errased by Darth Vader when he was about to exterminate the last Jedi-healer and assaulted by a vision. The Jedi-healer was alive, married, had a son and his wife Lynne was expecting her second child.

Even a recent incident with two women planning to leave Moniron and doing that at the expense of three injured men had given the galaxy no knowledge of Moniron. Only knowledge of a devious mind-influencing drug made from the seeds of the darweed. It rendered a Force-sensitive cooperative to his seducer and had him with no knowledge what he had done.

Two men – Peter Sloan and Jono Bel Hana – had been influenced and had made the escape of the two women possible, giving them a hyperdrive capable transport. Jono had recovered fully and resumed his work as a police officer. Peter had recovered from the drug but had his left leg in a cast and had to wait to be cleared for duty as a surgeon.

Their two companions – Mick Kerebuy as pilot testing the new medevac and Steve Magaron, coming with Jono at the request of Peter – were still recovering. They had shared a room in the hospital for a few weeks.

Mick – a surgeon – was in his home but had to come each day to the hospital for therapy for his right shoulder and right thigh. His fiancee – Denise Delmin – was caring for him. Marrying her would be on 20 melona, the day after her parents returned from a trip with disabled children needing care.

Steve – a police officer – was kept in the hospital, guarded by his friends. He had an intense dislike for hospitals and always tried to escape.

Kaagi Adin – his therapist and also a skilled surgeon and anaestethist – was waking up after a strange dream. Or was it a vision. For the second time around he had the same guy under his care in the OT.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    Kahara and AzureAngel2 like this.
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent start meeting familiar characters

3. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    first more introductions

Chapter 1

The hospital was Noranan general hospital, a sprawling complex of buildings. It was situated in the north of Noranan near the long beach with dunes and greenery where many of her employees had their homes. Spreading to the south was Noranan city with some high-rises in the center and a large industrial district and the air- and spaceport.

The hospital was the centre for wilderness- and sea-rescue, had specialized care for children, trauma victims and was the center for drowning victims and divers suffering from barotrauma.

MDC (Medevac Dispatch Centre) was busy. The eight four shift was ready and supervised by director Koranar Er-Quin. He had despite his age no wish to retire. '916 is old but sitting in your home and doing nothing makes you older' was what he had told his old friend Pat Huling weeks ago. He had been there when Pat was born in the hospital and when he became a junior police-officer in Noranan.

Jasaran – one of the directors, taking regular shifts in the MDC – saw the large boards displaying the rescue-craft, medevacs and ambulances. All – except one ambulance – were in the hangar. A smaller board displayed the OT's. All were ready to use with ER-crews and technicians ready for action. A new ER shift would begin at noon. 'And that will be interesting with Finn, Adin and Mirdees always in for some mischief.'

Next to MDC was the cavernous hangar that housed the various rescue-craft and medevacs.

Technicians, EMT-nurses and EMT drivers were in the ready-room, one of the smaller rooms in the hangar.

The eight four shift had just taken over from the zero eight shift.

Rihan Shellan was the last one donning his lime-green and yellow fatigues. His twin-brother Tarko had finished his and closed his locker. After his birth on Bor-Rhimmol Tarko had been taken away by a nurse seeing twins as a bad omen to an orphanage where he was as Tarko Sanek found by the Jedi. During the clone-wars he had become a Jedi-knight, going on special ops operations and training rebels on Tranal where he was injured after saving his commander. He was sent with Leslie Tualan – a Jedi-healer – and a group of initiates to Lingala to recover where he stayed after the purge. Many years ago Tarko had come with Leod Irwihan, Leslie Tualan and Keren Harlin from Lingala to Moniron after finding out that he had a family and twin-brother living in Noranan.

Rihan knew the answer but asked with a big smile on his face “Beast or medevac 2?”

“You know where Kevin is. It's the Beast,” Tarko walked to the door leading to the hangar where the craft was parked.

Kevin Kaol, their nurse, was already in the Beast, busy with the equipment. The versatile craft was equiped with rescue-tools and many grapplers giving it the appearance of a many-legged insect. One leg was a probe for refueling.

Rihan followed passing two doctors and a nurse engaged in a conversation about food.

“I can use some fuel.”

“Restaurant first Dagnir?”

“Sure I like one of those greasy nerfburgers.”

“Shhh not so loud Patty.”

“Guyet is not listening. He is busy with Leod checking the logs of the Beast.”

“Come, let's go before he notices us.”

“Thanks Leod,” Jason Guyet had a devious smile on his face. “Go with those rascals to the restaurant in the surgery wing. You will have fun seeing my father dealing with greasy stuff. He has his break.”

Leod Irwihan hurried after 'his rascals', two ER-doctors and a nurse. He had worked with the trio manning medevac 2 or for specialized rescue the Beast. The Beast – had been used for a rescue in South harbor and medevac 2 had seen more actions during the small hours when a nightclub closed. He sure would have fun in the restaurant with Alan Guyet giving a lecture about greasy stuff to Chef Mouraha and his customers.

Jason headed to the Beast. Today he was the pilot and had to enter his code for voice-command control (VCC). Not that he liked the control but it would make operations easy. At any moment he could push the override on the VCC and pilot the craft. He had been piloting various craft, among them an X-wing with an astromech called Iffy in fighter-squadrons on the Hands Down and the Taranak when he wasn't at work as a surgeon or anesthetist

Rihan was in the main cabin of the Beast checking his equipment to have a patient sedated. Tarko – a surgeon – was busy with Kevin Kaol, a nurse.

Tim Dereika, the pilot of the team responsible for first calls in medevac 1 had entered his code. He too loved to fly manually and had a trio of doctors under his command. Surgeons Marhin Adin and Leslie Tualan and anesthetist Cedrick Arovan were ready.

More teams were busy with the other medevacs.

Pat Huling entered Noranan Police station 1, situated in building 12 on Park Avenue. Despite his age – he had celebrated his 819th birthday a few weeks ago – he didn't want to retire. He loved his work, patrolling in Noranan with his partner Tony Kehoe, a young man he had guided from rookie to fully qualified officer. And Tony loved the banter and the Jedi-talk before and when things got serious. Pat could be a great distraction.

Pat had been following the adventures of the Jedi-knights after the first Dunai elder was given to the Jedi. Master Yoda had been in Rhivinna giving aid after a devastating earthquake that destroyed almost all of the village. The master had found a young orphan Fay Ere-Dun and had gotten permission from her 10 year old brother Jasir and his care-taker Ghari Adin to take her to the Jedi-temple. Master Fay had become a Jedi-knight – never using her lightsaber – sacrificing her life to save Master Obi-Wan Kenobi on Queyta.

tbc

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Nice introduction to the medical teams

5. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    all before the action starts

Chapter 2

Tarhin Engaron was in a festive mood. 500 years ago he had been promoted as a Special ops officer of the Noranan police department. It was of course something to celebrate and it didn't take him long to choose. Donnely bakery was famous for pastries. He had ordered them yesterday for all his colleagues and was – with his shift starting in the afternoon – dressing for a ride on Aran, his husan-stallion. Short brown hair was tidied before he left his fresher to head outside his cottage on South Beachroad 9 for the short walk to the Menanzin farm.

'Not a long one like yesterday-afternoon with Ivano. Our chiefs took over at the traffic-incident and sent us home to relax. And we did go for a ride on Aran and Nauran to the Ikraan-falls. A ride on the beach, some swimming and I will be ready for whatever the afternoon brings. Surprises no doubt with my colleagues acting hush hush when I entered an office, archives or the lab. Yeah the lab. Danil Reed isn't the shy easy to persuade guy anymore. He is now chief of the lab.'

- - -

'A few more days,' Ivano Arvedai was trimming his moustache before the mirror in his fresher. Reflected he saw an attractive face with smiling brown eyes in a bronzed face with short-cropped brown hair. After tidying his hair he donned his cargo-pants and a shirt and put his diary in one of the shirt-pockets and the pager on his belt before making porridge and caf. He had his day of Magaron-sitting; keeping Steve in his room. No escape plans were allowed. Doctors or nurses would come and stop any escape-plans.

Not that Steve could escape by himself with his right arm in a cast and his left arm in a sling. But the first time he was allowed to take walks in the corridor when his left leg was getting stronger he had walked with Jono Bel Hana outside and had almost made it to Jono's speeder before Aradan Mirdees came with a wheelchair to get Steve back to his room. No more walking was allowed in the corridors.

'Up to our escape-artist.' Ivano had finished his breakfast, closed the door of his cottage and slid behind the controls of his airspeeder. He was an escape-artist himself, had been many times as a patient in the hospital with Erdin Felaron as the main Ivano-sitter.

- - -

“Have a nice day,” the receptionist at the desk of Noranan Police station 1 greeted.

“You too Leny,” Danil Reed headed to the elevator, took it to the basement and passed the office of the coroner. He rememberd the first meeting with the new coroner after Baxter retired. A nice meeting so unlike the lectures from Baxter and his assistants. During an incident – filed as the Kerebuy hawk case – he had been a junior lab-technician when Baxter summoned him at 700 to hear a lecture about a heart. Inspector Chedokin had ordered him to do the important work on droid-parts. 'And that led to solving the case with my super-rig and a promotion to chief CSI when Kay Claytor retired.' He entered his lab and greeted his technicians with a jovial “what will come on this nice day?”

“Nice things from inspector Engaron,” Maura replied.

“I will be there and get some for us,” Danil walked to his desk.

- - -

Ivano Arvedai had parked his airspeeder, had put his pager on silent mode and entered the hospital. “Morning Karoun.”

“Morning Ivano. Magaron?”

“Yes, the whole day. Erdin Felaron is the batallion commander on duty today. I am the second back-up after Tobe Amauta.”

“You are early and that's great.”

“Why?”

“Bret Chedokin arrived rather late yesterday but could stop Steve. With his wheelchair he had tried to leave commanding a nurse-droid to guide him to the exit. We have now a program in his wheelchair to prevent that.”

“Good to know. See you.” Ivano headed to the surgery wing and medium-care-room number 7 with the sign on the door 'Have fun when you enter but don't listen to the patients arguing to leave the loving care of nurses and doctors.'

Ivano smiled when he entered. “Morning Steve, what will the day bring?”

“Therapy with Kaagi at 1130 and that's after the second caf-delivery. We can watch a holo to spend the time. Aradan Mirdees has brought some real nice ones.” He indicated the stack of holo-pics on the nightstand with his right arm.

“All are new to me,” Ivano picked up one. “Two hours should be enough.”

“With breaks of course.”

tbc

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  6. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Chapter 3

“Dereika wins the race and Guyet is second,” Tim snickered when he guided E-one to a stop in the hangar with the Beast only now clearing the hangar-door and hovering to a place next to him.

“Tim beat us going out and now in,” Jason smiled “but next time...”

“We will be faster,” Tarko said. “E-one could go to deliver the patient after we had done the work. The patient had only a cut needing stitches.”

“We had to get our climbing gear back from the fire-department,” Kevin had the tools ready for use.

“Working together was nice,” Rihan said. “We were the lift getting the fire-fighters on the roof of the shopping-mall. And we can have a 'boy's-evening' with our wives away on a 'girls-evening.'

“Yeah, they have the same shift as us.” Jason took the log from the Beast and headed to the ready-room with Tarko, Rihan and Kevin. “We can have our dinner here. Chef Mouraha is making more healthy nice things after a lecture from my father about greasy nerfburgers.”

- - -

The sun was rising and giving the sea a beautiful azure color. Playing with the sparkling white waves was a husan and his rider. Tarhin was enjoying his ride, not minding at all that he was getting wet and sandy. Cleaning Aran and feeding him would be the end of a nice morning.

- - -

Four empty cups were on the nightstand when the end-credits of the holo were playing on the view-screen

“That one after therapy and lunch?” Ivano had a holo in his hands.

“Yes,” Steve saw the title “Specter hunt is about spies and should be fun to watch.”

“With your experience sure. You can give your hilarious comments.”

“Just like you did when you saw that fire-chief without BA engulfed in flames in that building,” Steve laughed. “Help me with my wheelchair and it's up to Kaagi and his greasy stuff.”

“You aren't allowed to walk?” Ivano knew but had to ask with a big smile.

“No Ivano. If someone spots me outside walking, I am guided back to my room. This wheelchair is fitted with an alarm and program. Therapy-and treatment-rooms and the restaurant in the surgery-wing are the only places giving me access.”

“I see.” Ivano guided the wheelchair next to the bed.

tbc

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  7. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Still with no idea what's going on here, but... feedback review! (Oh... maybe I could have done that poem re-write after all... I have found the hyper...)

Its place on the starmap had been errased by Darth Vader when he was about to exterminate the last Jedi-healer and assaulted by a vision. The Jedi-healer was alive, married, had a son and his wife Lynne was expecting her second child.

Is that one idea, or two? And was it Vader assaulted by the vision, or the Healer? (The intro here is confusing. Interesting, but confusing.)

Even a recent incident with two women planning to leave Moniron and doing that at the expense of three injured men had given the galaxy no knowledge of Moniron.

Still stuck on the how of the planet being erased from common knowledge.

Rihan knew the answer but asked with a big smile on his face “Beast or medevac 2?”

You're missing either a period or a comma in here...

“I can use some fuel.”

“Restaurant first Dagnir?”

“Sure I like one of those greasy nerfburgers.”

“Shhh not so loud Patty.”

“Guyet is not listening. He is busy with Leod checking the logs of the Beast.”

“Come, let's go before he notices us.”

I'm still confused, but I LOVE a good solid convo about food...

Rihan was in the main cabin of the Beast checking his equipment to have a patient sedated. Tarko – a surgeon – was busy with Kevin Kaol, a nurse.

Just for the sake of clearing up my confusion... is The Beast the ship they're on? (Also... yay medical people!)

Pat Huling entered Noranan Police station 1, situated in building 12 on Park Avenue. Despite his age – he had celebrated his 819th birthday a few weeks ago – he didn't want to retire. He loved his work,

I love this detail. Love that he doesn't want to retire because he loves the job.

Interesting story. :)

8. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    The starchart errasing is described in detail in an old story DNA-ID but will be mentioned in the next chapter.
    The Beast - a rescue craft - was introduced in Reunion
    And 'the Flowers of evi' and 'Halcyon green' are the prequels to this story.

Chapter 4

“Kaagi Adin, what did the director tell you?” Karoun had fun when he saw the young man with short cropped raven-black hair and smiling silver-grey eyes passing the entrance in his wheelchair.

“No speeding beyond the doors,” Kaagi came to a screeching halt with his wheelchair before the desk of the receptionist. “But I am rather late for my patient Magaron. I have him and after that it's ER-duty with Aaqu, Aradan, Jehna and Jadin.”

“Scrub-room fun and wheelchair races no doubt,” Karoun saw Jadin coming to the entrance with an even greater speed. He knew about the injuries the two men had suffered, leaving them both with a left lower leg that was unable to support without a brace and crutches and both preferring a wheelchair to move at great speed.

“Jadin has a new one,” Kaagi grinned and gripped the wheels to resume his ride towards his treatment-room in the surgery-wing.

“A gift from Jason Guyet with improved wheels,” Jadin Finn halted for a moment giving a taunting wink with his left eye. “A race to the ER-ready room?”

“Sure,” Kaagi began to move the wheels with all the force he could muster.

“Ex Jedi younglings,” Karoun grumbled with a big smile on his face when he saw the two racing and turning right towards the surgery wing.

“And ex Jedi-masters,” Aaqu Maerhin came in with Aradan Mirdees and Jehna Er-San. “They raised padawans to knighthood long before the empire became the doom of the Jedi.”

“Morning Karoun.” the three greeted and resumed their slow walk.

“Always having some fun,” Aradan shook his head. “What will be our trouble in the scrub room today?”

“Wet sponges, towels, water bottles, gloves, soap,” Jehna began summing up the various items. “Or using all the greens and towels to make a bed in a changing cubicle. We will see what the day brings.”

“One thing for sure and that's a nice brikufruit-pie for me,” Aradan smiled. “My lunch-break will be in the restaurant. Chef Mouraha is making them today.”

Karoun heard that. He sure would visit chef Mouraha during his break.

- - -

Tarhin was back from his ride on the beach. He had used his fresher to get the sand and sea-water out of his brown hair and from his bronzed skin. He had changed into his uniform and was looking with his smiling brown eyes at the shields memorizing the jubilea in the living-room of his cottage. The cottage had been his home since he was born. He had lived there with his parents and had cared for them until their death. Next to the shield celebrating 200 years was a picture of his parents. 'They were there. Dad with his cane and mom guided by me. And I was home from celebrating 250 years when they became one with the eternity after we shared a nice meal.' A picture of him surrounded by students and standing next to inspector Han Zeus on the beach of Cor Sanol on Corellia was next to the picture of his parents. 'We were all wet and sandy. Dad sure was having fun when I told him about my years on Corellia when I came home after being on Serindan, Boreas, Varanko and Corellia to gain more knowledge about special ops. Coming home had me promoted to chief. Dad insisted on putting that picture there. He had said 'It was your last job before you returned.' and it had been great fun receiving a puzzle-box for solving a case.' His eyes wandered to the cabinet where the puzzle-box was standing. 'It had been a gift to Jeb Bel Hana turning 6. But with Jeb getting a home of his own after getting a job as a police officer his dad returned it to me when he couldn't open it. I opened it and what was there? Some little toys and a diary from Ivano. He, at that time in the hospital recovering after a decon-disaster.'

Donning his uniform-jacket he left his cottage and took his ground-speeder towards his work.

- - -

“And there's Tony,” Pat Huling looked up. He had been studying a report on his terminal and had a history-book on his desk.

“With some time to spare,” Tony Kehoe sat down after placing two cups of caf on the desk. “I have finished my first three reports. Begin with a question.”

“Do you know who errased Moniron from the star-charts?”

“Yes. Darth Vader. He has gained knowledge that Jedi-healer Aaqu Maerhin was on Moniron in a small cabin in the wilderness on the continent Rhova. His stormtroopers torched the cabin being sure that the healer was inside. Darth Vader was assaulted by a vision, planted there by our leaders, who had already rescued the healer.”

“Excellent! And that vision became a reality when the Yuuzhan Vong invaded our galaxy and left Moniron undisturbed. And we were safe when Darth Caedus rose to power, when Abeloth almost destroyed the Jedi and when Cade Skywalker tangled with Darth Krayt. More?”

“Caf first, reports next and after that?”

“Tarhin Engaron's celebration.”

tbc

9. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Chapter 5

Kaagi saw Jadin winning the race and disappearing through the double doors leading to the ready-room. He turned his wheelchair to see Ivano guiding Steve and exiting the corridor leading to the guest-rooms and medium-care rooms. “Follow me to my greasy den.”

Ivano followed with Steve and his nose picked up a nice smell. “Chef Mouraha making nice things?”

“Yes,” Kaagi halted for a moment before the open door leading to the restaurant of the surgery wing. “And you can get them after my work. I will be there too.” He continued wheeling past the restaurant and auditorium and stopped before his treatment-room where the door slid open.

Ivano followed with Steve and waited for the therapy to begin. And he had fun when he saw Kaagi using the Force to guide a jar with grease to his lap. He sat down on one of the chairs observing his friends.

Kaagi wheeled next to Steve's left side to give therapy to the left shoulder and arm. The right arm was next. Careful movements. Removing the splint. Massaging the discolored skin. Fingers moving. Replacing the splint. The right leg followed. Careful massaging the calf with the scar followed by the foot. The left leg and foot was last.

Kaagi did all the massaging sitting in his wheelchair and with the grease wiped from his hands on his greens he was soon greasy.

Steve was silent and didn't feel a thing. And the massage of the feet gave a nice feeling.

Ivano knew. 'I have been under the care of Kaagi in the Jedi-temple and have met him again in Noranan when I was visiting Jehna Er-San, a patient essential to solve the cause of a big accident. I helped Jehna to recover and saw him or one of his colleagues when I visited the hospital for a report on a accident. Only two times I have been here as a patient after coming back to Moniron. The first time to remove thingies from my right foot and the second time after a decon-disaster. And who was keeping me here; Erdin Felaron.'

“Jehna will be in the restaurant,” Kaagi wiped his hands on his greens and floated the closed jar to the bench. “He is on the ER-team today with Aaqu, Aradan and Jadin and me. Let's go before Jehna gets all the nice things.” He headed for the door.

Ivano followed guiding Steve. With all being Dunai elder no surprises were possible.

- - -

Tarhin smiled, remembering the first time he drove on South Beach-road towards the old harbor and the city to his work. Noranan had been more a village sprawling in a large area with an air- and spaceport at the south-side surrounded by meadows and forests. It had grown into a big city with 500.000 inhabitants, four shopping centers in the central area with high-rises. South harbor was a big industrial area near the Air- and spaceport. 'Air- and spaceport. Huh. Moniron was a member of the republic until Darth Sidious became emperor. Four years later our planet was erased from the star-charts by Darth Vader. No more craft coming here or it must be Dunai and Dunai elder with knowledge about their home planet. We are safe from mayhem happening elsewhere. Skywalkers, Yuuzhan Vong, Sith, Abeloth, Darth Krayt and most recently the forming of the Galactic Federation Triumvirate.'

Tarhin parked his ground-speeder before Donnely bakery on Harbor-road and entered the shop. “Good afternoon Mr Donnely.”

“There they are as ordered. It's a large stack.”

“For all my colleagues this time. Those not on duty are coming to the celebration and can take pastries for their colleagues.”

“I will help you,” Mr Donnely took four boxes and carried them to Tarhin's ground-speeder.

Tarhin followed with six boxes. “Thank you.”

Mr Donnely placed the boxes on the back-seat. “Have fun,” he went back into his bakery.

“Sure.” Tarhin was busy with his boxes.

“No fish today inspector?”

Tarhin looked up to see two fishermen coming from the quay carrying a crate.

“I will come after my shift but I have first a celebration. Do you want one?”

“Nice.”

“Hmmm.”

Tarhin gave two pastries to the men and sat down behind the controls.

“Thank you.”

“See you.”

Tarhin resumed his ride taking Old Harbor-road, followed by Benir-road to Park Avenue and Noranan central, a large sprawling complex of buildings near the air- and spaceport. Noranan Police station 1 was his destiny. After parking his ground-speeder he took a cart from the supplies-shed and placed the 10 boxes on it. He walked to the entrance.

- - -

At dispatch nine dispatchers were busy. One was supervising the nine and sitting at a console in the back of the room.

“I like some caf. It's your turn Kath.”

“Nine caf coming,” Kath Kupaza detached her com, took the tray from a table and walked to the machine near one of the windows. “Ah do you see that!”

'What?” Calvin Greco looked up from his station that was displaying the various units of the police and fire-department on call. He had one unit from fire station six going to a shopping center.

“Tarhin coming with nice things,” Dave Cullen detached his com. “Kath take over. I will have my break now and will get you some after congratulating him.” He stood up and headed to the elevator that had him entering the restaurant, two floors down.

“Dave, just in time,” Bret Chedokin was near the elevator.

“Tarhin is coming with a cart.”

“We know,” chief of police Dick Kerebuy was holding a rope that was leading up to a large bag.

tbc

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  10. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Chapter 6

Jehna was in the restaurant finishing his nice thing when Kaagi wheeled to a stop. “Chef Mouraha has more on his counter. I will get back to the ready-room and tell the guys to get them.”

Kaagi, Ivano and Steve headed to the counter and ordered the nice things; brikufruit pies, fruit-juice and nerf-milk.

“No more comments on my greasy appearance,” Kaagi began.

“No,” Jeruan Mouraha grumbled. “You and your friends. Incorrigible. Get going. Your smell is an attack to my nose.”

“And I don't want to annoy the cook,” Kaagi headed with his tray with pie and milk towards one of the tables where two nurses were sitting and saw Ivano and Steve getting a table near the exit leading to the corridor that was ending at the reception. Was this intentional? He had seen the wheelchairs parked against the wall of the auditorium.

- - -

Tarhin guided his cart inside the restaurant and waited. Something was going on with all the colleagues except the chief standing at the far end of the restaurant and near the elevator.

Chief of the lab Danil Reed was with Dave Cullen from dispatch and the latter looked up.

Tarhin did too and at that moment Dick Kerebuy pulled on the rope releasing a barrage of many balloons floating up to the ceiling and some old and worn fluffy toys tumbling down. One of the toys landed on Tarhin's head and he managed to grab another that squeaked.

Dick Kerebuy took that moment to begin his speech reciting many events and some funny things and disasters in Noranan. He ended “You explored the galaxy visiting Serindan, Boreas, Varanko and Corellia. I was a junior officer partnered with rookie Bret Chedokin when you returned to Noranan and became our chief of special ops.”

“And that was the only thing I wanted,” Tarhin said. “You Dick rose through the ranks and became our chief.”

“And that's mostly a desk-job,” Bret Chedokin picked up a toy. “These toys have a history too. You were the first to use them comforting children after a traumatizing event. Some were brought back to us with a note, some were rescued from the garbage by workers recognizing them as comfort toys from us. And they ended up here in a container to be used for this celebration. Congratulations Tarhin.”

“And now Donnely pastries,” Tarhin guided the cart in the middle of the restaurant and was soon surrounded by colleagues shaking hands with him.

- - -

Ivano had seen doctors and nurses coming and going through the door leading to the ER-area but now another door was opening. Two nurses from the junior-wing entered, drawn to this restaurant by the news that Mouraha was chef today.

“Ivano did you see that?”

“What Steve?”

“Wheelchairs. We can swap wheelchairs and go for a short ride outside with no one noticing it. And I promise you. No escape.”

“Alright, but first another pie and drink.” Ivano headed to the counter with his tray.

- - -

Halfir Majeski was back from his trip to the Monir technical school. He was busy with sorting the dirty laundry from his bag when he saw the packages. 'One is for Mikja. She will get it when she returns from her shift. But this one. I can go and deliver it to Steve. He will be very surprised.' He left his cottage and took his ground-speeder.

tbc

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  11. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Chapter 7

Tarhin saw the officers of stations 2, 3 and 4 leaving the restaurant with boxes with pastries and headed to their ground speeders.

“This was nice inspector Engaron,” Helen Deshazo put down her cup and took the box from the table turning towards her colleague. “Andy, We have to go for our patrol and can bring those pastries to our colleagues of Station 5.”

Andy Roskill nodded and followed her to the parking where their ground-speeder, call-sign NP 69 was parked.

Air-speeders – fives and sevens called by the crews because of their call-signs beginning with a 5 or 7 – were parked further away from the building.

- - -

“These are for our busy birds,” Dave Cullen took nine pastries out of the box, put them on a plate and headed to the lift to return to dispatch.

“Now there are only three pastries left and I know who will like that,” Bret Chedokin took one of the remaining pastries.

“Steve Magaron,” Jago Calran said.

“Our escape-artist,” Bret grinned. “I could stop him yesterday when he tried to escape with a droid guiding his wheelchair outside. Ivano will have no problems today with a wheelchair programmed to visit only certain places. With Halfir away to Monir he has his Magaron-sitting day.” He turned to Tarhin and indicated the box “and with you...”

“Yes but I am on duty,” Tarhin began, only now knowing why Ivano wasn't here.

“Take one of the fast air-speeders,” Bret Chedokin interrupted. “That way you can respond to any emergency coming your way.”

“Great. And Ivano can have his pastry too.” Tarhin took the box. “Can I take one of the Zakins?”

“Sure,” Bret grinned. “And don't try to break my speed-record.”

“I am too old for that,” Tarhin replied.

“Take NP 55, it has no open roof.”

“No jumping fire-chiefs coming my way,” Tarhin remembered. Years ago he had heard about the ride Bret Chedokin gave to Ivano Arvedai and Erdin Felaron to get to the airport for a big accident. The Zakin had been a brand new air-speeder at that time, introduced to replace older, slower models.

“Don't get into trouble with Ivano.” Bret cautioned.

“I won't,” Tarhin left taking the box with the pie with him to the parking. He wasn't in a hurry. He would enjoy the flight towards the hospital.

- - -

Helen slid behind the controls of NP 69.

Andy had put the box with pastries in the back and took the com after sitting down next to her. “Dispatch.”

“Dispatch.”

Andy heard munching sounds and asked with a smile “nice pastry Kath? NP 69 is going to station 5.”

“Sure Andy and don't let those pastries get old. 5 will like them. Dispatch out.”

- - -

Ivano had brought the tray with empty cups and plates back to the counter after guiding Steve to the door.

Steve was giving him a wink with his left eye. No one in the corridor outside.

Ivano hurried to Steve, guided him to the parked wheelchairs and had Steve in one of those.

He began to guide Steve to the reception and the exit and had his diary on record.

tbc

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  12. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    trouble is beginning with:

Chapter 8

Andy and Helen had delivered the pastries to station 5 and were headed to their turning-point on Old Rondor road.

NP 69 was passing the bridge over the Ikraan river when the com activated.

“Dispatch. Proceed to mountain lake campsite. The reception has a man who is missing his wife and two children.”

“69 responding.”

“Dispatch out.”

Helen drove to the campsite with all the speed she could muster and stopped before the reception-building where they met a man in tears telling them that his wife and two children went on a hiking-trip this morning.

“It should be a short trip. Monica had her com but it's dead. I tried to contact her. Miranda had a com too, dead and Bert...”

'We will find them,” Helen soothed. “Andy contact dispatch. We need search-teams.”

Andy had heard all and seeing the map of the campsite and wilderness surrounding it he began to inform dispatch.

- - -

Pat Huling was savoring the last of his pastry.

Tony Kehoe had finished his when his com activated.

“Dispatch.”

“NP 58 proceed to mountain lake campsite.”

“Responding,” Tony stood up and ran towards their air-speeder

Pat followed as fast as he could. He was feeling his age and huffing like a Hutt when he arrived at the air-speeder with Tony already at the controls. He sat down with a sigh and was able to fasten his seatbelt before Tony guided the air-speeder up and towards the coast to avoid the heavy traffic in the center.

“Nice to join me old master,” Tony began the banter.

“Yeah I was young when I met Jedi-master Yoda in Rhivinna. He was given permission to take young Fay Ere-Dun to the Jedi.”

“More Jedi-talk?”

“Sure. You like it. And I don't know if you have heard this,” Pat paused for a moment. “I heard from Ivano Arvedai about Kaagi Adin treating him in the Jedi-temple. Ivano met Siri Tachi and Obi-Wan Kenobi. And the latter one told him that he was saved by Master Fay on Queyta and...”

“That's a story I know,”Tony interrupted. “It was after the beginning of the clone wars.”

“I have some more,” Pat continued. “You heard Dick in his speech mentioning Boreas. That planet was Tarhin Engaron's home for 10 years before he was fired and put on a transport to Varanko.”

“Why?” Tony steered the air-speeder towards the coast.

“He had to deal with Jedi-knight Stellan Gios trying to break his shield and Jedi-knights Elzar Mann and Avar Kriss finding out that he was a Dunai elder. His chief didn't want to work anymore with Tarhin and had him stranded on Varanko where he had 60 nice years as an inspector before moving to Corellia where he met Corellian Jedi Han Halcyon and his son Elmar.”

“I have heard only about Corran Horn, the grandson of Nejaa Halcyon.”

“Ah that one. Steve told me about him. Corran and now his great grandson Rostek is sending messages to Steve.”

- - -

Receptionist Karoun Aatifa looked up, hearing some fast steps accompanying the sound of wheels. He commanded “Arvedai and Magaron what's this? Back!”

“Karoun,” Steve had an innocent look on his face. “We are only going for a little walk.”

Ivano released the guidance bars, pointed to the trees in the distance and made a small round with his hands.

“Escaping you mean. The moment you are there he will persuade you to guide him to his cottage.”

Ivano shook his head.

“Inside and look who is coming?” Karoun pointed to the red-haired man making a beeline to the entry. “Or is he in cahoots with you two?”

“Halfir?” A surprised cry by Steve.

“Halfir.” Ivano smiled. 'Maybe he can take over. And I can go and visit Tarhin.'

“To your room Steve,” Halfir shook hands with Ivano and patted Steve on his right hand. “I have a surprise.” He indicated the package.

Ivano deactivated his diary and guided Steve back with Halfir following them.

They helped Steve to settle in his bed.

- - -

Kaagi had warned him. Aradan had to see and finished his brikufruit pie and milk before going outside. Yes, there was Steve's wheelchair. He headed to the reception. “Karoun did you see Ivano and Steve?”

“Sure but I could stop their plans and return them to the room because they have Halfir visiting them.”

“OK I will swap the wheelchairs before they make a real escape.” Aradan headed back, took the wheelchair and ran towards medium-care room 7.

tbc

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    LOL on the stories and attempted escapes

earlybird-obi-wan likes this.
  14. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    and now a cliffie

Chapter 9

Ivano was fluffing the pillows after putting his diary again on record. “Now that we are back you can tell us about that surprise.”

Halfir sat down after placing the package on the nightstand. “Jesin is in Monir and will stay there as a teacher at the Monir technical school.”

“Why?” Ivano asked.

“After we boarded the school-transport Jesin was silent.”

“Our talking waterfall silent?” Steve shook his head, surprise showing on his face.

“Yes, he was sitting next to the director of the Monir technical school Jyselle Ptah.”

“And he fell in love?” Steve nodded.

“Right Steve and I was there as his best man on 30 helona when he bonded with Jyselle. They gave me this for you.” He opened the package to reveal some sweets.

“Ivano, was this your plan or did he persuade you to swap wheelchairs?” Aradan Mirdees came in with Steve's wheelchair and placed that next to the other, taking that one by the guidance bar.

“My plan.” Steve gave a mischievous wink with his left eye.

“My plan.” Ivano nodded vigorously.

“A guy has to get fresh air now and then.” Steve grinned innocently.

“Steve, if you promise to me to stay here.” Aradan observed the three, knowing about their friendship since childhood. “I will talk to Jono and Bret. And that can lead to your release in a few days.” He guided the second wheelchair to the door. “You have another visitor.”

Tarhin Engaron came in with his box, passing Aradan.

“Tarhin! Great to see you.” Steve said. “Did you send the message for the new training to Monir?”

“No, recovery first.” Tarhin answered giving a nod to Aradan who was leaving. “Next year you can go. And to celebrate my 500 years of being a special ops officer I brought you this.” He opened the box.

“Hmmm.” Steve saw the eager looks. “That's delicious.”

“Now a spoon and I can feed you.” Ivano took the box from Tarhin. “And there is one for...”

beeweep beeweep

“My pager!” Tarhin reached for the thing displaying a message. “I have to go. Three tourists are lost. Mountain lake-campsite on Old Rondor road is the staging area for the teams. I am the one to direct them.” He ran to the exit.

“Tarhin, I can help. Halfir take over!” Ivano dropped the box on the nightstand and followed Tarhin after deactivating his diary in his breast-pocket.

Tarhin slowed down and Ivano caught up with him. “I know. The mountains are familiar territory for Aran and Nauran and us. We have been there yesterday riding to the Ikraan falls.”

“You have a Zakin mark five.” Ivano opened the door on the passenger-side.

“And no open roof to accommodate jumping fire-chiefs.” Tarhin slid behind the controls with a big smile on his face.

“That was 95 years ago.” Ivano had a thoughtful look on his face. “Erdin and I could act silly doing some Yoda-talk before we headed to the airport. Jesin, Halfir and Steve were involved.”

“It's only a short flight.” Tarhin activated the controls and emergency lights. “No Yoda-talk now. Contact dispatch.”

“Jedi master Engaron contact dispatch I do.” Ivano couldn't resist and activated the com.

“Dispatch. Give your message.”

“NP 55 responding to emergency.”

“Ivano?”

“Yes I am helping Tarhin with the search.”

“Don't get into trouble you two. And tell him that the busy birds liked the pastries. Dispatch out.”

“That was Dave Cullen.” Ivano put down the com.

“Hang on Ivano.” Tarhin guided the air-speeder up and over the sloping hills heading towards Old Rondor-road. The Ikraan-river was passed.

Ivano could see the flashing lights of the ground- and air speeders on the parking of the Mountain lake campsite in the distance when he heard the engine making a screeching sound.

“Something hit us in the intake.” Tarhin grumbled trying to control the fast descending air-speeder.

“Must be from that air-speeder.” Ivano – view forward – saw the expensive looking aircraft accelerating quickly, swerving this and that way headed to Rondor. “No control at all there.”

“And here.” Tarhin struggled with the throttle, trying to coax more power from the dieing engine. “I will try to land on the road. Hold on!”

The duracrete road was coming nearer and nearer. A sound of metal colliding with duracrete, skittering sounds of a craft slowing down and sliding across the road towards the embankment, hitting the barrier and tumbling down with more sounds indicating activating safety-bags and strained metal. And muffled cries.

- - -

“I have heard only about Nejaa Halcyon.” Tony saw the lake campsite in the distance when he saw flashing lights making erratic movements going down in a shallow ravine. “That's trouble. It's NP55.” He saw the craft coming to a halt. It was lodged between trees and boulders on the bottom.

“Get down!” Pat Huling took the com. “Dispatch. NP 55 is down in a ravine on Old Rondor road. Give me MDC asap. They can respond very fast and are nearest.”

Will do. Engaron and Arvedai are involved.

Tony managed to land the air-speeder next to the broken barrier.

Pat saw the coordinates on his screen.

tbc

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh, a cliffhanger indeed! A nice segue into it with the banter.

16. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    and action!

Chapter 10

Ivano was looking this and that way observing the mess. The air-speeder had taken a tumble going down and was again in an up position. The windshield was shattered, the front crumbled, safety-bags deployed and deflated, controls torn. He was trapped. His left leg was pinned down under crumbled girders of the cabin of the air-speeder and having a hurting competition with a wound on his forehead. He felt bruises, cuts and bumps everywhere. Breathing was very difficult. Some blood was trickling down into his left eye. And he sensed Tarhin who was making soft moaning sounds taking shallow breaths too. “Tarhin?”

“Huh oow.”

“Tell me.”

“Broken left lower arm and left thigh, loosing blood, at least three broken ribs, big and small hurting things; in short a big mess.”

“Stay with me Tarhin. Rescue will come soon.”

“Easy. The girders are trapping me. I have no other place to go.”

“No and you can tell me about 500 years of special ops. That will keep you awake and distracted.”

“Sure and you too Ivano. You are trapped too. Dratted engine, causing the girders in the cabin to collapsing down on us.”

“Yeah and earning us a stay in the hospital after we have seen the doctors. But I know ways to escape. Majeski- and Magaron-sitting has taught me all.”

- - -

Dispatch NP58 emergency take over.

“Jasaran, your call!” Koranar Er-Quin sensed immediately what was wrong. He would be beginning to page the back-up crews. And the 1600 – 2400 shift was due to start in less than two hours.

Director Jasaran Arovan – sensing the dire urgency – rerouted the coms to his board and took the call. “NP58 respond!”

76.201 - 306.209 air-speeder NP55 down. Officer Pat Huling reporting. Arvedai and Engaron needing help.

Jasaran activated two programmed alarms and had a map with the coordinates on his screen. “Stay there Pat. Wait for the Beast and E-one.” He knew that the big rescue-craft from Noranan central would take too long to get to the rescue. The hospital could handle this with ease with the teams and their great experience. And with Pat Huling there help and distraction was certain.

“Him again.” Koranar muttered.

“Him?” Skara Peverin looked up from her board.

“I had Ivano Arvedai for the first time under my care almost 360 years ago. He is infamous for arguing with you to send him home as soon as possible.” Koranar began to tell more.

- - -

Beast alert. E-one alert. That was blaring through the com in the hangar and ready-room.

Caf-cups dropped. Cookies were thrown on the table. It was the third call for E-one and the second for the Beast. It had been an exciting morning.

Jason, followed by Rihan, Kevin and Tarko, ran to the Beast.

Tim Dereika and his trio of doctors were even faster and hopping into their medevac grabbing helmets with coms from their hooks and donning them.

“E-one responding at 1408.” Marhin – sliding into the seat next to Tim – activated his view-screen.

Leslie Tualan and Cedrick Arovan sat down.

“Flight plan entered.” Tim let go of the controls. “Go! On auto.”

The medevac began to hover towards the opening doors and picked up speed as soon as the doors were cleared swooping into a right turn over the roof of the hospital towards the Ikraan river.

“Tim beat us again.” Jason saw his flight plan on the view-screen. “But we can do better. Hold on guys. Manual control now.” He grabbed the controls and had the Beast clearing the hangar-doors before pushing the throttle to its forward stop.

“We will beat Tim.” Rihan – sitting rock-steady on one of the seats – donned blue gloves and sturdy gloves to protect them before grabbing a helmet and harness and med-bag.

“We will need that getting down in the ravine.” Tarko did the same with his hands and donned his harness and helmet.

Coms were checked.

“Air speeder down. We may need our extrication tools to cut away the roof.” Kevin saw on his view-screen the specifications of the Zakin mark 5, a sturdy design with the engine in the front.

tbc

17. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Chapter 11

Pat didn't have to wait long. He had heard from officer Kupaza at dispatch that inspector Calran would take over for the missing-persons-search at the campsite and that chief CSI Danil Reed was sending a crew to investigate the wreck.

Two craft were arriving at the same time. The medevac was touching down in the middle of the road and the Beast next to it.

Pat ran towards the Beast. He had seen it many times in action and knew what he wanted.

“On scene at 1422.” Kevin reported.

Tarko opened the door on the left side.

“Tarko can I get one of those.” Pat asked indicating the harness and helmet.

“You want to go down with us.”

“I can keep Ivano and Tarhin distracted.” Pat replied.

“With Jedi-talk.” Tarko handed Pat the items and a pair of gloves. “I know. Come with me.”

With OX-set and med bags attached to his harness Rihan hooked up to one of the grapplers from the Beast. He and Tarko had put a stretcher and monitoring equipment on the road. It was ready for the second patient.

Tarko helped Pat to secure on a grappler and did likewise.

Jason guided the Beast up hovering above the ravine.

Kevin began to lower the trio to the place where NP55 was lodged between trees and boulders. He had an open com and could hear all that was said.

“Detaching.” Rihan settled down and walked to the front side of the wreck. He was followed by Tarko and Pat and had a relieved look on his face when he heard Ivano through the shattered windscreen.

“Rescue is here. We are trapped but the guys will get us out.”

“Yes we are here.” Rihan observed that Ivano was in command of the situation. “Can you tell us what's trapping you?”

“The front-girders in the cabin have collapsed.” Ivano replied. “Cut away the roof and you can get us out. Tarhin is the first to go. He has at least three broken ribs, a broken left wrist and left femur and is loosing blood. My left lower leg is trapped by a girder and broken and there are some ribs broken. I am using the Force to diminish the blood flow to my left leg and to be almost unaware of the discomfort. I can direct and help you.”

“Kevin relay that to MDC and lower the cutters and protection shields.” Rihan commanded and placed his med-bags on a boulder. The OX-set remained attached to his harness. Getting a trauma-bandage, two IV-units and a stand from the med-bag he asked after climbing on the front of the air-speeder. “Ivano can you get Tarhin's right arm.”

“Sure.” Ivano did as told. “Only a tiny pinprick Tarhin. Nothing to worry. You will be alright soon.”

Tarhin grumbled weakly when the IV was applied to his right hand.

Rihan held the IV-bag and gave Ivano the bandage.

Ivano managed to bandage his forehead. “Now I can see better what you are doing.”

“Can you hold this bag for a moment?”

“Sure.” Ivano reached with his right hand and gripped it.

Rihan clipped the stand to a strut. “Now it's your turn. Give me your left hand Ivano.”

Ivano did and was fitted with an IV. “And here is the IV-bag.”

“Ready.” Rihan controlled the two lines and took two breath-masks from the OX-set. “You are twins for a short time.” He guided the masks on their heads.

The lowered tools were taken by Tarko and Pat.

“Hey Tarhin, your pastry was nice.” Pat settled down next to the door on the driver-side. “Keep listening to me. I don't know what Ivano told you but I am here with some nice stories. And I have to use this shield to protect you when the guys get busy.”

“You again?” Ivano briefly lifted his left hand. “And Tony Kehoe is there?”

“Yes Ivano and I will continue with what I was telling Tony about Corran Horn.” Pat said.

Marhin, Cedrick and Leslie were lowered by the Beast with their equipment and a stretcher from the medevac.

“Hey there they are. The famous former Jedi-healer Leslie Tualan and his assistants.”

“That's us.” Marhin remained with his monitoring equipment attached to a rope of the Beast. “Kevin settle me on the roof.”

“OK.”

Marhin crawled to the shattered windshield and had access to Tarhin. He began to attach leads and to Tarhin's chest and right arm. He had his left hand on the breath-mask. “Cedrick will have you sleeping and ...”

“But my story?” Pat asked.

“You can continue.” Cedrick was next to the door. He gave a syringe to Rihan and had the airway-scope ready.

“Corran Horn was a Corellian Jedi and ah he is sleeping. Not that much to tell but I can continue for Ivano.” Pat climbed over the back towards the passenger side. He would stay aside, offering his help when needed.

Tarhin was soon stable and ready for release. A splint was guided around the left arm before the extrication could begin.

Tools were used by Tarko and Rihan to cut the roof away.

A soft command from Ivano 'one, two, three, move' and Tarhin was on the stretcher, his left leg kept motionless by Marhin who was using the Force.

Ivano was observing the work on Tarhin, now being secured on the stretcher.

Cedrick concentrated on his work, keeping his patient sedated and stable.

Leslie and Marhin placed a splint around the left leg after the open wound was covered. Ropes were attached to the stretcher.

Tarko secured Cedrick to a rope and the stretcher and waited for Leslie and Marhin to do the same. “Guide her up Jason.”

Jason moved carefully and deposited the trio and stretcher next to the medevac.

Tony offered his help.

Ropes were released and stored in the Beast by Kevin.

Jason returned to his hovering above the crash-site, waiting for commands.

tbc

18. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Chapter 12

“Departing at 1505.” Marhin took the com after helping Cedrick and Leslie with the stretcher. “Tim go and beat Jason's record.”

“Easy.” Tim took E-one on manual and pushed the controls to their forward stop.

Marhin began to relay the stats to MDC and the ER-ready-room.

- - -

“Ivano was here doing his Magaron-sitting when Tarhin came.” Koranar ended. “And that led to this.”

“And now I know all about argument-guy.” Skara laughed. “Who will keep him here this time?”

“Kaagi will sure have ideas.” Jasaran looked up from his board. “He will be his sleep-doctor.” Dalair, Daranon, Djarada, Gulnare, Karolan, Adin, Er-San, Finn, Maerhin, Mirdees. The names were appearing on his screen when he assigned OT's. “And that will be fun after the procedures.”

“I see.” Koranar said. “We will pay a visit to the scrub-room after they are ready. Our shift will be ended at that time. Skara, start paging the next ER-shift. The mischief ten will be busy until the end of their shift.”

“Mischief ten.” Skara laughed. “Beware of wheelchair races.”

- - -

“That's us. Scrub room and OT 2.” Aaqu put his steaming cup of caf down near the caf-machine and walked towards the door of the ready-room. “Marhin, Cedrick and Leslie will have our patient ready and will do the small cuts and bruises.”

“Tarhin Engaron is already sedated.” Jehna gave one look at the display before following Aaqu. The OT would have the same stats ready to use.

“Leg or arm?” Jadin wheeled after the two.

“I will do the arm.” Aaqu answered. “And our nurses?”

“Beran, Jess, Aldo, Jay and Kerlan are already in the scrub room.” Jadin said.

Aaqu asked “five nurses?”

“We need three and Aradan two.” Jehna replied. “And we have of course the droids.”

“For us it's OT 1 and the same scrub room.” Aradan was going into the corridor when a second wheelchair spurted past him. “Kaagi; you don't have to hurry. Ivano Arvedai is still trapped.”

“Ivano!” Kaagi halted stroking softly over his cheek. Now the dream became clear. “Him again!”

“Again?”

“Yes.” Kaagi pointed at his cheek. “Ivano hit me when I was doing my air-show in the Jedi-temple prep-room. He was afraid that the Jedi would draft him into their services and didn't want to be with us at all despite his injuries.” He gripped the wheels and continued to the scrub room telling Aradan more about Ivano and his stay in the Jedi-temple and getting ideas to keep him in the hospital, ideas he would discus with Aaqu during the scrubbing.

tbc

19. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Chapter 13

“That was a nice story about Qui-Gon Jinn being the apprentice of Dooku.” Ivano smiled. “But you know what Dooku became.”

“A Sith. And now some more. You had that accident with that truck. After your recovery and release you left with Halfir to go for some galaxy-exploring. I heard from Tarhin that he warned you about Jedi-knights being a big trouble for him.” Pat halted for a moment when Rihan and Tarko guided a soft foam-filled sling around Ivano's shoulders and fastened the IV bag to that sling with a piece of tape. “I began to search the old archives and found more about Gios and his friends. Avar Kriss and Elzar Mann were lovers, and not following the rules and...”

“Pat attention hold this plate. We are ready for extraction.” Tarko had hooked his harness to a rope and the OX-set to his harness.

The last piece of metal that was trapping Ivano's leg was cut away by Rihan.

“Kevin up.” Tarko took Ivano's right hand giving him a nod.

“For a little ride.” Ivano gasped when he felt his broken ribs.

“Kevin will be there to help you on the stretcher.” Tarko moved his hand to Ivano's forehead giving him more support.

Kevin saw his charges lowered very gently to the road next to the stretcher and hopped out after donning a harness when the Beast was low enough. Now he could help Tarko.

Ivano was settled down on the stretcher by Kevin and Tarko. The sling was removed.

Jason guided the Beast up. He had to get Pat and Rihan and the supplies.

Tarko began to cut away clothes with his trauma-scissors and stuffed the remains in a big bag. Pulse-OX, BP-cuff and monitoring leads were applied. The open wound on the left leg was covered with a bandage and encased in a vac-splint.

“Oww.” Ivano gave a loud cry when the splint closed on his leg.

“Shh. I will help you.” Tarko had his right hand on Ivano's forehead. “You don't have to do this trying-to-keep-away-the-pain alone. I will stay with you and Kevin too. We will help you in the ER, preparing you for your surgery.”

Kevin secured the OX-set and IV-bag on the stretcher.

- - -

Med bags and supplies were stored by Jason and Rihan.

Pat had joined Tony. They would have to wait for a CSI-team to determine the cause of the crash.

Kevin and Tarko had hooked their harness to the stretcher and ropes attached to grapplers. Speed was now of the essence with their patient suffering from broken ribs and an open wound.

Jason jumped into the Beast, plopped down in his seat and reached with one fluent movement to the ignition switch and the coms. He rerouted the coms to be available for Tarko.

Rihan controlled the ropes. “All are secured.” He hopped in with the bag of cut away clothes from Ivano and put it down on one of the seats. “Guide the Beast up.”

“Guiding up.” Jason had the craft ascending, trying to keep the patient and medics as stable as possible. A gust of wind had craft and stretcher swaying for a moment.

Rihan heard a thunk and managed to grab the bag that was slithering to the open door. He started to explore the remains for valuables that had to be secured for the patient. The first thing was large. 'An old diary but still functional. I will record a message.' He pressed a button.

“I am Rihan Shellan and helped Tarhin and you. Tarhin Engaron was the first to leave in the medevac. I found this diary in your breast pocket after securing the clothes that were cut away by Tarko. You were treated by my team on Old Rondor-road. You are now under the beast, secured in a stretcher with Kevin and Tarko stabilizing you. I will give the diary to you when you are in your room. We will be soon arriving.” He pressed again the button and secured the diary in a pocket of his uniform.

The Beast was descending and hovering above the meadow before the ER-entrance.

Jason looked on his monitor and settled Tarko and Kevin down as gentle as possible and giving more slack on the ropes.

Tarko guided with Kevin the stretcher to a waiting gurney. “Release.”

Jason released all the ropes and guided the Beast down to the opening doors of the hangar. He came to a stop next to medevac 1 and contacted dispatch. A new shift had to take over. A technician was headed his way.

tbc

20. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Chapter 14

Marhin Adin had cleaned the cabin of the medevac and put the last wad in the waste bag that held the cut away clothes and more from his patient. He saw Rihan coming out of the Beast with a bag and walking to a room where secured items could be stored before being given to the patient or relatives. He followed. “Ivano going to my dad?”

“Sure.” Rihan replied. “Kaagi will have no trouble with him. He is relaxed with Tarko being with him after old Pat entertained him with stories when we were getting him out of the wreck.”

“Yoda talk.” Marhin put his bag down on a table. Valuable items were put in a box. A name was written on the box.

Rihan was doing the same and the last was the diary coming out of the pocket of his uniform, unknowingly activated.

“Hey that's an old diary.” Marhin saw it.

“Ivano's and it must have recorded a lot of entries. It has to go to his room.”

“I know the room.” Marhin laughed. “Dad had Ivano in room number nine in the Jedi-temple. Here we have medium care room number nine and that's next to Magaron. That way Ivano can continue his Magaron-sitting.”

“And plan their escape?”

“Dad will ask Halfir, Bret and Erdin to come and do their patient sitting.”

“Hey it's recording.” Rihan pushed the button and placed the diary in the box. He looked on his chrono. “And for us it's end of shift. Dispatch will have alerted the new guys.”

“And girls.” Marhin headed to the ready-room with Rihan. “A quick shower and up to Chef Mouraha.”

“I know what's on the menu today.” Rihan grinned. “We have our debrief and dinner there.”

- - -

“You are ready.” Tarko patted Ivano softly on his right shoulder when he had the gurney before the doors of OT 1. “Aldo and his droids will help you.”

“And him.” Kevin grinned when the doors opened. “Aldo take Ivano to his friend.”

“I will.” Aldo took the gurney.

The doors closed.

“Ready room?” Tarko walked back to the ER.

“Yes and after a shower it's restaurant and a visit to Chef Mouraha.” Kevin looked at his chrono. “Debrief and end of shift for us. It's 1601.”

“That can be done in the restaurant. Marhin and my brother are busy with a brikufruit pie.”

- - -

“Kaagi?” Ivano saw the smiling silver-grey eyes behind the full face mask when he was – assisted by Aldo Karolan – guided by two med-droids on the table.

“Yes you have me with my air-show for the second time around.” Kaagi had a syringe and air-way scope ready and waited for Aldo to hook the IV-bag to a stand and the leads to the monitoring equipment. “I know you didn't like the first show when you were afraid that Jedi would draft you into their order but the other shows were no trouble for you and I know that now here in Noranan you will have no trouble with me at all.”

“No not at.” Ivano knew no more.

Kaagi had injected the fast acting sedative and had Ivano intubated.

“He had no idea you were distracting him.” Aldo grinned and helped Kaagi with his equipment.

Aradan came in. He had his work. And he knew about the plans to make escape for Ivano impossible. Kaagi had new ideas. Two men now staying in the IC after their shift had ended would be a great help.

- - -

“That's it.” Jason gave the data-pad with logs to Yoren. “And here they are. Kevin, Tarko what kept you so busy?”

“Cleaning Ivano, treating small cuts and bruises, making a formfitting bandage for broken ribs, suturing a wound on his forehead and getting him ready for Kaagi.” Tarko replied. “And you...”

“Know where your brother is.” Jason grinned. “Get showering you two. You know what's after debrief and dinner in the restaurant.”

“Chef Mouraha has an intense dislike for the Beasty boys being always dirty.” Kevin disappeared in a changing-cubicle.

“And leaving dirty marks with their boots.” Tarko had the second changing cubicle. “But you know who is coming for the evening-shift.”

“Chef Aatifa.” Kevin replied. “And he is fun. You know what to expect after the Finn Adin race.”

“Water mixed with carbon-dioxide for the winner.” Jason disappeared in the third changing cubicle.

tbc

21. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Chapter 15

“What will we find in the scrub-room?” Jadin was ready with his suturing and gave Beran and Jess a signal to guide the soft splint around the left leg. It would keep the whole leg stable.

“Fun no doubt.” Aaqu applied the last suture. “And we will be the ones planning that fun. Aradan is still busy.”

“I have an idea.” Beran began, taking the soft splint.

“I know.” Jess snickered. “Laundry-service was scheduled for this morning but I saw all laundry still there in a corner of the scrub-room.”

“Yes, they had problems with a truck and will come tomorrow.” Jadin was wiping his hands with a wad. “Green towels aplenty to stuff the changing cubicles used by Aradan and Kaagi.”

Beran and Jess were ready with the leg and took a second splint for the arm. And they were ready when Jadin gave the signal that Jehna could begin with his work to guide Tarhin out of the deep sedation.

Kerlan assisted Jehna.

Two nurse-droids were standing by with a bed.

“Up to the fun.” Jadin stood up from his stool and limped to the double doors of the OT.

Aaqu headed to a com-station. He had to contact Tarhin's chief and tell him about the plans.

“We will follow when we are ready.” Kerlan was looking forward to the fun.

- - -

Pat and Tony were back in their air-speeder. They were ordered to return immediately to the station with the first piece of evidence – scorched remains of a handbag – gathered by the CSI-technicians from the wreck.

Pat was glad that he could sit. Supporting the victims and rescuers had cost him.

Tony activated the air-speeder.

“That's work for Danil Reed and his crew.” Pat had the evidence-bag in his hands. He saw the technicians busy with ropes to recover the wreck. “More will come but this needs to be processed by Danil and his super-rig. A handbag doesn't belong to the equipment in our air-speeders.”

“No.” Tony guided the air-speeder up. “Someone must have lost it, causing our craft to crash.”

tbc

22. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Chapter 16

Halfir had been telling all about his stay in Monir with Steve as his captive audience. Only a slight worry had been on his mind for a moment but that was soon forgotten when Steve – voicing also a worry – had asked more about the wedding of Jesin and Jyselle. He was ending. “I have never seen that former Jedi-apprentice and...”

“What do you and Halfir like as a dessert? The berryfruit-milk or..”

“Milk for me.” Steve interrupted with a big smile on his face when he saw the cart with dinner-trays guided into his room by a waitress.

“And for me too.” Halfir nodded. “Chef Mouraha's?”

“Sure. And enjoy your dinner.” The waitress placed two trays on the table and left.

Halfir was soon busy helping Steve.

- - -

“He is ready for Amaral and Er-Denal.” Aradan had covered Ivano's lower leg and foot with a soft splint. He wiped his hands on a cloth and walked to the double doors. He turned for a moment with a mischievous smile on his face. “See you in the scrub-room.”

“Beware of green stuff.” Aldo grinned. “We will wait.” And turning to Kaagi he asked. “Amaral and Er-Denal?”

“Their shift has ended but I contacted them during the scrubbing.” Kaagi replied. “They volunteered to stay.”

“To have their arguments with Ivano.” Jay had readied a bed and guided that to the right side of the table.

“Time to begin with the wake-up.” Kaagi injected a counter-anaestheticum in the IV-tap and had his hands on Ivano's forehead guiding him into a dream. “Ivano grab the fin of the falgan and follow me. We are going to the surface. You have to breathe. Exhale now. Go Ivano you can do it.”

Beeweep beeweep

“One more.” Kaagi had one hand taking the tube.

Beeweep beeweep

Kaagi slid the tube out. “That was easy Ivano. You are doing great.”

Aldo placed a breath-mask on Ivano's face.

“N no nno airshow?” Ivano whispered.

“I did one but you were sleeping before I was finished and now you are ready for your bed.” Kaagi smiled. “Ah yes a little one.” And using the Force he floated Ivano to the bed and took a syringe held ready by Jay.

“Ah a bed.” Ivano mumbled. “When home?”

“Not home but the IC and the same room where Tarhin is now.” Kaagi injected the contents of the syringe in the tap.

“No es.” Ivano closed his eyes.

“That will have him sleeping a little bit more before he will have his arguments about leaving our care with Jago Amaral and Jaril Er-Denal.” Kaagi placed the empty syringe on a tray.

“And plan his escape with Tarhin.” Aldo began to uncouple a lead. “Why is he going to the same room?”

“It's easier to watch them.” Kaagi replied.

Jay and Aldo had Ivano soon ready for transport to the IC with the monitoring-leads and breath-mask coupled to portable equipment.

“He is ready.” Kaagi said. “Come to the scrub-room after giving him under the care of Jago. You have to help me with the green stuff.”

“We will.” Jay guided the bed to the double doors. He was helped by Aldo.

Kaagi stood up and limped after them. No hurry for him. He removed his blue gloves and waddled them into balls. And he was nearing the scrub-room when he heard Kerlan.

“Get him Jadin.”

“Trying to enter your cubicle Aradan?”

“I need clothes and my underwear. Where is my helper?”

“He isn't coming.”

“He is busy with Ivano-sitting.”

“Get that one.”

Kaagi opened the door on a crack and observed the three nurses Kerlan, Beran and Jess assisted by Aaqu and Jadin. All were in their comfortable clothes. Jadin was in his wheelchair without his brace and holding a green towel. They had removed Aradan's greens and covered him with towels, pinning him down on the floor. And a trail of towels was leading to the changing cubicle that held Aradan's clothes. Discarded greens were littering the floor, mixed with water-bottles and sponges.

“Now you are decent.” Jadin floated his towel on Aradan's face and turned to the door. “You are too late Kaagi.”

“Not at all.” Kaagi threw his waddled gloves towards Jadin and opened the door fully. “Now let's see what is in my changing cubicle.”

Jay and Aldo ran past him.

Aldo opened that cubicle and jumped back.

“Towels Kaagi!” Jay took an armfull of towels and threw them towards Kaagi who used the Force and floated them on Aaqu, Jadin and his three nurses.

Aldo began to throw more towels.

“Hey.” Beran tried to avoid a towel and was unable to hold his grip on Aradan who managed to free himself and joined the flying-towel-fight.

It continued for some time. It was their way to unwind after a procedure.

- - --

Tony had guided the airspeeder to the parking and waited for Pat to get out. “I can carry that.”

“Thanks.” Pat was tired and began to walk to the entrance.

Tony stayed with him. No need for hurry. A few minutes more didn't matter that much with scorched evidence.

tbc

23. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Chapter 17

“This is the first piece of evidence.” Tony deposited the bag on the counter of the lab. “Get it to chief Reed as soon as possible.”

“Can't you see that he is busy?” The white-coat pointed at the back of another white-coat who turned and hurried to the counter followed by a young woman.

“Tony, Pat, that's now my priority.” Danil Reed took the bag and ran to his office. The super-rig – equipment designed long ago by him and capable for many different examinations – was the first to try.

“Oh.” The white-coat grumbled.

“Yes Leo.” Pat had now a smile on his face. “Danil knows that one of our own is involved.”

“And a friend from the fire-department.” Tony added. “Arvedai and Engaron were in that crash.”

“Inspector Engaron.” Maura whispered. “We had a celebration, geting all a delicious pastry from him. Leo, get the big room ready for the air-speeder. We all want to know who caused this.” She headed to the back of the lab.

“Come.” Pat headed to an elevator. “We have to wait for news from the hospital and the best place to be is the restaurant.”

“No Pat.” Tony halted. “Tomorrow we will know more. The best place for you is your bed. You are sleeping on your feet. Come, I will bring you home.”

“And tuck me in.” Pat gave a big yawn. It wasn't the first time that Tony brought him home after an eventfull incident.

- - -

“Who started this?”

Kaagi was sitting on the floor, surrounded by towels and looked up towards the open door.

Two directors were observing the scene.

“We heard the ruckus when we exited the MDC.” Jasaran Arovan expected no answer knowing the doctors and nurses. “Having fun again? Enough towels to make a bed Adin? And you Mirdees, get covered.”

Aradan took a towel and wrapped that around his torso.

“Clean up this mess.” Jasaran smiled. “MDC has paged the next shift to come early. Join me in the restaurant There you can tell me all about Tarhin and Ivano.”

“And who will keep Ivano from escaping our care.” Koranar added before walking away with Jasaran.

“Felaron and Huling.” Kaagi stood up and limped to his changing-cubicle. He used the Force to float the towels on his path to the laundry-bin. The towels littering the floor of the cubicle and the one on his wheelchair got the same treatment.

“Adin!” Jadin grinned when a towel landed almost on his head before dropping in the laundry-bin.

“Sorry Jadin. Frivolous Force-use is tiring.” Kaagi gave a satisfied sigh when he doffed his greens and entered the shower. A clean towel was on a shelf. He stood under the shower savouring the warm water and soap until he felt clean. He limped to his wheelchair and dry and warm after donning underwear and a comfortable shirt he sat down to remove his brace and dry it before putting it in a bag hanging from the back of his wheelchair next to a pair of crutches. A limp lower left leg became visible. It was still showing muscles because he stimulated them every day. It was carefully dried and a pair of cargo-pants was donned, hopping around on his right foot. He sat down with a satisfied sigh and wheeled outside to see a cleaned scrub-room with the laundry-bins filled to the maximum and no one in sight. There was one still closed door to a changing cubicle. “Where are they?”

“I know where and will race you.” Jadin spurted out of that changing cubicle. He had been hiding there, just waiting for Kaagi to get ready.

“Fun.” Kaagi followed with all the speed he could muster.

The two racing ex-Jedi could avoid colleagues entering the ER-room with ease, rounded corners and barreled through the opening doors of the restaurant to come to a stop before the counter of Chef Aatifa. Both got a tray.

“And there they are. One a millisecond after the other. Clean and that's a great improvement. You know what Jeruan thinks about you but for me.” Chef Aatifa placed a large clearplast bottle of bubbly water on the counter. “Get busy Finn.”

“Chef Aatifa not again.” Kaagi used the Force to snatch the bottle away and up in the air towards a table quite near where Aaqu was sitting with Aradan and Jehna.

“Got it.” Aaqu turned his head and gave Jason and his friends a naughty wink.

“Aw no water fun.” Kevin sulked. “Maerhin again.”

“We can always try.” Tarko had his hands going up.

“What did master Yoda tell you?” Aaqu held on.

“Do!” Tarko tugged at the cap of the bottle using the Force.

The water spurted out showering Aaqu and Aradan. Some drops even landed on the table where Jasaran and Koranar were finishing their meal.

“All of you.” Koranar raised his voice. “Get finished. We are waiting for the debrief.”

“Got the first pie.” Jadin placed a plate with the delicious brikufruit-pie on his tray and added juice and some fruits.

“Your reward.” Kaagi had the second brikufruit-pie and added a bowl with vegetables and one with porridge to his tray.

tbc

24. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Chapter 18

“Number nine?”

“Yes, tomorrow.”

“Your place Kevin?”

“Yes, follow me.”

“And look at him.”

“He is sampling his porridge with his nose.”

“I will stay and help him.”

Kaagi opened his eyes to see his porridge very close. “Uh?” He righted himself and saw Jason clearing the entrance of the restaurant followed by Kevin, Tarko and Rihan.

“You missed the last part of the briefing.” Aaqu said. “I will guide you home after you are ready. Lynne and Ken are already sleeping.”

“And Aranella too.” Kaagi – now fully awake – began to finish his meal. He had swallowed the last spoon of porridge. “Who is going to number nine?”

“Tarhin and Ivano.” Aaqu answered.

Kaagi looked at the chrono in the restaurant. “Oops, Ivano must be waking up.”

“And he is not your concern.” Aaqu stood up and took the guidance-bar of the wheelchair. “Jago and Jaril will be the arguing-guys keeping Tarhin and Ivano in the IC. Home Kaagi. Tomorrow we have those guys for room number nine.”

“And their patient-sitters.” Kaagi smiled.

“Aradan will have contacted chief Kulmaro and I have told Dick Kerebuy about our plans.”

- - -

“In your left lower arm and your left femur. You will fully recover.”

“Easy Tarhin, not too much water.”

“He is waking up.”

“Coming. Sef, stay with Tarhin and make sure that he keeps that breath-mask on.”

Ivano tried to open his eyes.

“Easy I will wipe the salve away.”

“Jago?” Ivano whispered. He felt a soft cloth wiping his eye-lids.

“Yes I stayed after my shift ended to see you and Tarhin. Take this.”

A breath-mask was lifted for a moment. Ivano opened his mouth to receive a piece of ice for his sore throat, felt the breath-mask again on his face and opened his eyes to see a very familiar face behind a full face clearplast mask. He felt the ice melting and soothing his throat when he swallowed the water and grumbled. “No escape possible. But...”

“No.” Jaril Er-Denal – dressed the same as Jago – interrupted. “I stayed too to tell you this. Your left tibia and fibula are fitted with a plate and pins to heal the broken bones. You have four broken ribs and you need the support of the breath-mask.”

“Jaril.” Ivano saw a second very familiar face. “You again?”

“No Aradan Mirdees was the surgeon.” Jaril replied. “He has contacted your commander.”

“And that will have Erdin Felaron headed here as soon as possible to do his Ivano-sitting.” Ivano sighed. “No escape possible at all.”

“He was great at keeping you here and kept you out of trouble for a long time.” Jago said.

“Yeah bekoming a batallion commander after that stay here to remove the thingies from my foot and ankle. And he was here when I was contaminated by the draxin and had to suffer through that treatment to get rid of the dead midichlorians.” Ivano saw a syringe coming to the IV-line. “Yes, sleep will pass the time.”

“Great idea.” Jago smiled when he injected medicines in the tap. “I will be here with Jaril and Kaagi when you wake up.”

“And get me aw...” Ivano closed his eyes.

- - -

Steve had been dozing a bit after the dinner and opened his eyes to see Halfir still sitting there with eyes closed and making snoring sounds. “Hey sleepy guy. Ivano didn't come back?”

“Nah.” Halfir stretched his arms and legs and saw the chrono. “Oops. Mikja is home. My dirty laundry. I left it on the floor. She must have discovered it and the package.” He stood up.

“Go Halfir. No worry. She will understand that you wanted to bring the news as soon as possible to Ivano and me.”

“Ivano, yeah. I hope he hasn't met trouble.” Halfir walked to the door turning briefly. “I will come tomorrow to be your company.” He ran to the exit.

'Halfir or maybe...' Steve closed his eyes and was sleeping.

- - -

“Leo, there they are with our wreck.”

“But our shift has ended 10 minutes ago. Tomorrow is another day.” Leo walked with Maura following him towards the lab where light was still on in the office of their chief. He opened the door. “The wreck is in the big room and will be our first job tomorrow.”

“And mine.” Danil turned for a moment away from his super-rig. “This handbag is incomplete.” He had examined it using the scanning mode and had found parts of a duraplast card. He hoped to find more in the engine.

tbc

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Great rescue details with water fun and looking forward to what the evidence reveals.