main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge 2021 Fanfiction Summer Olympics

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by devilinthedetails , May 24, 2021.

1. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Hi, @devilinthedetails. May I try the SW Decathlon? Hopefully, I got all the rules right.

This would be the link to my first contribution. A 1500 Word Dash with my OC Cassie & her blood cousin Darth Vader.

Having a lot of stress at work and my mother being seriously ill, I needed an outlet. So I gave writing fanfic a go again.

2. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @AzureAngel2 First and most importantly, big hugs to you [:D] for dealing with all the stress at work and I'm so sorry to hear about your mother being seriously ill. Best wishes to her and to you. I hope the stress in your life eases up a bit soon!

Secondly, I'd be happy to have you aboard for the Star Wars Decathlon!=D=

Technically (and I hate being technical:p), while stories can be written before July 1st, they are only supposed to be posted on July 1st and beyond, but since you already posted your 1500 Word Dash (congrats on getting it written already, by the way!), I think I can definitely allow you to keep it up. And in the future, you can post all the stories for that Decathlon in that one thread so it is easy for me to link to it in this thread.

I'll add your thread and characters to the index for the Star Wars Decathlon, and any future stories you write for that Decathlon can be posted in that thread after July 1st. (You can write them before that and just save them for posting after July 1st if you'd like.)

I really hope that fanfic and this Summer Olympics can be a great outlet for you with all the stress in your life. And big hugs to you again, my friend[:D]

3. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    I know, now... SW Decathlon. Moira Basavan Melyan (OC)... and family, also OC's.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  4. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Awesome! I've got you in the index now:)

5. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Hey, @devilinthedetails, question for you: for the events with “at least” and “+” word counts (like the Prime Time Coverage, Fantastical Fencing, etc.), do you want us to also try to get as close to that exact word count as possible, or are those more flexible than the events that don’t include “at least” or “+” with their word count (e.g., the 100-Word Drabble, the 400-Word Cross Country, etc.)? Just checking, thanks! :)

6. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    @Findswoman I asked a similar question a while back; the answer is pretty much "it's up to you". To quote:
    @devilinthedetails A last question from me: are we using a specific word counter? Or can I just go with whatever Google Docs says? (I've noticed that some online word counters are a bit particular when it comes to hyphens, apostrophes etc. and there's a lot of that in Chiss names.)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  7. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Alright...watch me bite off more than I can chew.

Star Wars Decathlon - starring the Mischief Makers (Tara, Namia, Taeyn, Qui and Mace)

8. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @Findswoman Good question! @Chyntuck does a great job answering.

To chime in a bit myself, I'd definitely say that I do imagine the events with the "at least" and "+" being a lot more flexible and open-ended than the ones with an exact word count. So for an event like Fantastical Fencing, I am just as happy to see a 100 or 101 word story as a 1000 or 1001 word story. Or even a 10,001 word story if someone is feeling very ambitious;)Basically, as long as your story meets the minimum length requirements and any other rules for the event (like Fantastical Fencing has to include something fantastical in it), the story is a wonderful and welcome addition to the Fanfic Summer Olympics:)

@Chyntuck Excellent question about word counters!:) I am not going to require that people use a specific word counter to count the words in their stories. People can use any of the word counters that are out there or just use the one in Google Docs or Word or wherever they type their stories. I'm actually like you in that I've mostly been using the one in Google Docs lately. So if you find one that works well with "counting" Chiss names, you can definitely feel free to use it throughout your Olympics. I suppose my only rule in that regard would be that whatever word counter you choose to use, be consistent with it throughout the Olympics. So if, for example, I decide to go with what Google Docs says is my word count, that is what I should go with for the entire Olympics. That is sort of similar to my rule about how if a competitor chooses to count titles toward word count, that competitor should count titles toward word count for the entire Olympics. So I guess it is like once you commit to a word counter, you commit to it for the entire competition.

@Kit' I've got you all signed up for a Star Wars Decathlon starring the Mischief Makers! Happy to have you aboard for the Olympics!:)

9. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Thanks so much, @devilinthedetails and @Chyntuck, that helps a lot and is very good to know (and I really should have checked earlier in the thread, sorry about that)! And I’m glad to know about the policy on word counting, which I had been wondering about as well. I’ve just been using the Google Docs one, so I’ll continue using that. :)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  10. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @Findswoman No worries! I'm always happy to answer questions:)

11. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Kessel Run Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

May 11, 2016
    So I´m thinking about a Decathlon as well, starring Ilona Malek.

12. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @Anedon Wonderful! I've got you down in the index for the Decathlon now:)

13. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I can do a SW decathlon too with Pat Huling, another of my Moniron characters and set in before and beyond legends.
    The pentathlon will be set in beyond legends

14. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    I may end up regretting this, but could I bump my SW pentathlon for Festus & Ferrus (the Chaos Twins) up to a decathlon? [face_whistling]

Thanks so much!

15. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Only three more days until the official opening of our Summer Olympics! I can't wait to start seeing what everyone will come up with for the event[face_dancing]

Excellent! I've got you in the index:)

Awesome! I've got your Chaos Twins story bumped up to a Decathlon now:)

16. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    I think I'll sign up for the SW Pentathlon using two familiar characters from my Knightfall story, Ben Skywalker and Anakin Solo.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  17. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @JediMaster_Jen Magnificent to have you entered in the Olympics with a Star Wars Pentathlon. I've got you in the index now:)

Opening Ceremony

On that note and without any further ado, ladies and gentleman, it is my pleasure and honor to declare the Summer Olympics officially open

[​IMG]

The Fanfiction Summer Olympics unites fanfiction writers around the globe as they seek to triumph over the challenges posed by the triathlon, pentathlon, and decathlon in both the Star Wars and non-Star Wars categories. The Fanfiction Summer Olympics brings us all together in this era of social distancing.

As a reminder, signups for the Fanfiction Summer Olympics will remain open throughout the challenge, and to signup you need only make a post in this thread announcing your intention to compete in the Star Wars or non-Star Wars category in a particular event (triathlon, pentathlon, and decathlon).

You may post links to the stories you post in this thread, and I will add them to our index so readers can easily find links to all the wonderful stories this Olympics will undoubtedly produce in one convenient place!

It goes without saying that I can't wait to see all the marvelous stories this Olympics will inspire!

Now, for our proud parade of athletes who have already declared their intention to compete in these Fanfiction Summer Olympics. Please join me in putting your hands together to make some noise for our brave competitors=D=

[​IMG]

Parade of Athletes:

Star Wars Triathlon:

Archex/Cardinal: @clone commander bossk
    Lance Stormbreaker/Claire Monstep: @Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Star Wars Pentathlon:

Song!verse: @Mira_Jade
    Home!verse: @Mira_Jade
    Avar Kriss/Elzar Mann: @devilinthedetails
    Vernestra Rwoh: @devilinthedetails
    Moniron Characters: @earlybird-obi-wan
    Raymus Antilles: @Thumper09
    OC New Republic Soldiers (AT-ST's): @Thumper09
    Thrawn &Ezra: @Chyntuck
    Hera Syndulla/Kanan Jarrus: @Raissa Baiard
    Rose Evergreen Crew: @Findswoman
    Avar Kriss/Elzar Mann: @brodiew
    Ben Skywalker and Anakin Solo: @JediMaster_Jen

Star Wars Decathlon:
    Ben Skywalker in Etf 'Verse: @ViariSkywalker
    Eli Vanto & Vah'nya: @Chyntuck
    Anakin Skywalker: @devilinthedetails
    Vestri Dain and her band of Sentientologists/Scientists with one recording droid: @Seldes_Katne
    OC Cassie and her blood cousin Darth Vader: Strong Black Vine by @AzureAngel2
    OC Moira Basavan and her family: @DaenaBenjen42
    The Mischief Makers (Tara, Namia, Taeyn, Qui-Gon, and Mace Windu): @Kit'
    Ilona Malek: @Anedon
    Pat Huling (Moniron): @earlybird-obi-wan
    Chaos Twins: @ViariSkywalker

Non Star Wars Triathlon:
    Emma Swan/Neal CassidylBaelfire (Once Upon a Time): @ViariSkywalker
    Bucky Barnes (The Winter Soldier from Marvel Cinematic Universe0: @mavjade

Non-Star Wars Pentathlon:
    Katara (Avatar:The Last Airbender): @devilinthedetails
    Zuko/Mai (Avatar: The Last Airbender): @devilinthedetails
    Hades/Persephone (Lore Olympus): @Mira_Jade
    Star Trek Ensemble (Star Trek): @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha
    The Rookie: @brodiew
    Jarod and Miss Parker (The Pretender): @DaenaBenjen42

Non Star Wars Decathlon:
    Roku (Avatar: The Last Airbender): @devilinthedetails
    Izumi (Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra): @devilinthedetails
    Zuko/Katara (Avatar: The Last Airbender): @Mira_Jade
    Tim Bradford/Lucy Chen (The Rookie): @Mira_Jade
    Narnia/Star Wars Fusion featured in "From Whence We Came: @Nehru_Amidala

18. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    My computer gave me a scare this morning when it wouldn't boot up, but now it's handled and I'm here with a Ben Skywalker decathlon set in my Enter!verse/EtF-verse (I'm rebranding, shhhh)...

The Way Out Is Through

(No, I wasn't eager to get going, why would you think that? :p)

19. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @ViariSkywalker Computers are cruel masters of giving nasty scares that get the heart racing like that, aren't they? But I'm glad that yours decided to boot up after all, and lovely to see you posting your Ben Skywalker decathlon. I'll add a link to the index right now!:)

(Now posting as an individual participant in this thread, and not the hostess, so everyone can feel free to ignore this part of the post if not interested in my stories, haha:p)

Links to my own started entries:

My Anakin Skywalker Decathlon (Star Wars Decathlon): All the Difference
    My Vernestra Rwoh Pentathlon (Star Wars Pentathlon): A Light in the Dark
    My Katara Pentathlon (Non-Star Wars Avatar: The Last Airbender Pentathlon): Like the Raging Ocean
    My Zuko/Mai Pentathlon (Non-Star Wars Avatar: The Last Airbender Pentathlon): Heart of Fire
    My Izumi Decathlon (Non-Star Wars Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra Decathlon): Daughter of the Fire Nation
    My Roku Decathlon (Non-Star Wars Avatar: The Last Airbender Decathlon): Fire Burns Everything It Touches

The Avar Kriss/ Elzar Mann Pentathlon has yet to be started, but hopefully inspiration will be coming soon especially as I read through the Rising Storm book that was just released. I'll be sure to provide a link to that story when my muse starts writing it.

20. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    My mistake, BRB.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  21. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    THIS IS ALREADY SHAPING UP TO BE SUCH A GLORIOUS COLLECTION OF AWESOME! [face_dancing] [:D]

I've got my first entry started, with my Zuko/Katara decathlon: A Universe of Beaches. [face_love]

22. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    So. After messing up which thread I should be posting in, I'm finally here!

I started my Star Wars Decathlon featuring Eli Vanto & Vah'nya with the prologue of Outsiders (includes 3 of the 10 events, namely the Single Sentence Shot Put, the 110 Word Hurdle and the 100 Word Sprint ).

23. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    I was going to wait until later, but I'm impatient, so here's my decathlon for the Super Evil Chaos Twins of Evil, Darth Festus & Darth Ferrus: Thunderbolt and Lightning

[face_mischief]

24. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
  25. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    OK, just please remind me how many words does the story have to be?

I've got the stories planned and am about to start.
    Also am I meant to post all story in one thread?