main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST It wasn't All Bad

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Love SW2012, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I have said this before multiple times, I like all things Star Wars (including the SW Holiday Special), because Res Ipsa Loquitur. But there are degrees of "like". I like some things more than others, i.e., I like Chocolate more then All-Bran.

TX-20, Lord Exor and christophero30 like this.
  2. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Googles Res Ipsa Loquitur.
    I still don't know what it means.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    SithOverlord101 and TOASTEROVEN like this.
  3. Love SW2012

Love SW2012 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 7, 2020
    Yes, I agree that the 1st two movies cancel each other out. After my several negative posts regarding the sequel trilogy, i was trying to post something positive. If you want to see my criticism of the sequel trilogy you should check out my post why we should all lothe the sequel trilogy.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  4. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    "The thing speaks for itself"

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    TX-20, TOASTEROVEN and christophero30 like this.
  5. sian1965

sian1965 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 26, 2020
    I think their mistake was that so much happened offscreen. Not everyone is interested in reading supplementary material.

godisawesome likes this.
  6. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Ben Solo suffers from this so much it even applies *to* the supplemental material; we’ve argued over the films before, but it doesn’t help either of our arguments that the Rise of Kylo Ren comic still largely pushes most of his important development and whatever is shoving him towards the dark side (not just away from Luke) into stuff it doesn’t want to deal with.

7. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I like the ST overall - it just should and could have been a lot better cause there was no ST outline so RJ did what he did with TLJ :

1. TFA, great start to the ST left you hanging and wanting more - Han Solo was outstanding.
    2. TLJ, failed to deliver what JJ started, great visuals, awesome battle on Crait , epic throne room scene but failed with Luke Skywalker - Mark Hamill's performance was outstanding though and yes Luke Skywalker should have died in the flesh in a far more epic light saber duel with Kylo Ren.
    3. TROS, probably the best ST movie considering what JJ had to play with after TLJ he did a good job , great cameo's from all the old guard and good send offs to them.

So all in all as Mark Hamill said " a missed opportunity "

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The throne room scene would have been better with different characters and a better background to their motives but visually it was fantastic.

And yes, Mark Hamill does some of his best acting.

Sarge, chris hayes and christophero30 like this.
  9. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    The Han Kylo interaction were my favorite scenes.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Three scenes in the entire trilogy where I actually liked Kylo, and they are all in TROS:

—that scene
    —the moment he felt Leia die
    —the scene with the troopers where he does the Han turn-and-point

Sarge, chris hayes and christophero30 like this.
  11. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    the Lando scenes are still some of my favorites

12. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    The pacing issues (I find the movie moves too fast) annoy me as much as the plot decisions. But there's still things to enjoy, and the Han/Ben scene is one of them.

Sarge and christophero30 like this.
  13. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I loved TFA and really I don't have any issues with it. I will say that I don't mind the overall plot for TLJ and TROS, and the action sequences as a superficial minimum are entertaining-in each of the ST films. But the main issue I have with TLJ and TROS are simply things I find annoying about the writing, and the way the characters were handled.

In TLJ: Luke being portrayed the opposite of how it would've made sense to see him, based on what we saw throughout the whole OT. Rey being told she's nobody, only to have it cheaply elaborated on and clarified/retconned in TROS. Having to see the same flashback three times before we see it the true way. No real lightsaber duel, cos Luke wasn't really on Crait.

I did have things I liked though; like the Snoke scenes, Yoda, and the entire Crait sequence.

In TROS: All the fake-outs, like Chewie dying but not really, 3PO losing his memory but not really, Hux helping the Resistance but not really. By a certain point the constant "gotchas" in leiu of running with what would've been truly emotional moments just became frustrating. Otherwise it was just little things, like Finn never actually getting to tell Rey he was Force sensitive, the use of hyperspace as a connection from scene to scene with utter abandon, and the out-of-nowhere kiss (we all know the one)!

Otherwise I actually did enjoy TROS; I liked the return of Palpatine, everything on Exegol, the fact that Rey was a daughter of a clone of Palpatine, the lightsaber duels, all moments with Luke Leia and Han, the final battle over exegol and speaking with the "jedi who came before." There was still lots to enjoy. Perhaps seeing the positive more clearly is something that has emerged with time.

Sarge and christophero30 like this.
  14. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Out of the 3 ST movies. i actually prefer TROS. its the one that oddly feels the most comfortable within the universe. even if its abit of a mess in places.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    CT-867-5309, TX-20 and Sarge like this.
  15. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I have issues with TFA and TLJ but on the whole I was on board with the ST’s trajectory. TROS is the only thing in the live action canon that I really struggle to enjoy. Embracing the direction of TLJ would’ve been the better decision. It doesn’t feel like a natural continuation of that story.

Watcherwithin likes this.
  16. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2005
    I think the ST would be better as a standalone trilogy instead of it being slapped on the end of the Skywalker Saga, since it had very little to do with the actual Skywalkers. Although the three individual movies really weren't cohesive enough to be in a trilogy together either, other than having the same characters in all three of them (Rey, Finn, Poe, ect).

17. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    The ST feels schizophrenic in regards to what it’s purpose or point is, especially in TLJ. If it wishes to continue or end the Skywalker Saga, than Rey should have been a Skywalker, full stop, no excuses. If it wished to not have Rey be a Skywalker, than it either shouldn’t have had any new Skywalkers like Kylo or it shouldn’t have focused on Rey.

Instead, after a start in TFA that basically demanded Rey as a Skywalker, TLJ arrives to nix that idea and hobble Rey while trying to lift up Kylo but without making him really worthwhile either, before TROS comes in to try and navigate a middle road between two opposing positions. And the crossfire between those ideas even undermines the idea of them sharing the same three characters, since TLJ Rey, Finn, and Poe have very little in common personality wise with their TFA predecessors, and TROS again tries to find a way to merge them.

It’s why I tend to think that most people who enjoyed something in the ST are more likely to heavily favor one film over the others, and to an exaggerated extent, far beyond even those who prefer ROTS to the rest of the PT. The way the ST is constructed, there’s actually a good chance that if you dislike a character in one movie, the perfect remedy is in another film… with that same character.

18. wreath

wreath Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 21, 2021
    honestly i loved most parts of ST. It felt like star wars again and stuff.

19. Awushi Awere

Awushi Awere Jedi Knight star 2

May 11, 2020
    You think so? I think it was pretty skywalkery. Luke, Leia, Ben...even this old immortality arc of Palpatine (and Anakin) was brought back on the table again. I even think it couldn't have been more digging into this intertwined relationship of the name Skywalker and the name Palpatine.

This "standalone feeling" I only have in certain moments of distanced feeling world building or certain humour which kicks me out of the immersion. Because then it didn't feel like "the saga I was used to". But all in all and especially since Episode IX I think the sequel trilogy feels pretty skywalkery.

20. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Yeah, the only way to make the story more centered on the Skywalkers would have been if Rey were a "real" member of the family, and the irony is that, because she isn't, you get people who don't think it connects enough alongside people who think it connects too much.

I would probably argue that it shows that people always wanted the family story front and center if it was present at all, and thus Rey needed to be an intrinsic part of it, and thus that NO ONE would have actually found Rey Skywalker a deal breaker. Sure they might have whined... but I think the way most of those who supported Rey Random still thought Kylo's preferential treatment made sense and weren't repelled by the family's large role in the entire thing shows that even they would have likely just grumbled but still been ultimately fine with it.

In contrast, far more people were driven away when they found out that Rey wasn't a Skywalker or that the family would be wiped out needlessly due to LFL's mistakes.

21. Awushi Awere

May 11, 2020
    @godisawesome
    Interesting thoughts! We can resume that "Rey Skywalker" isn't a problem per se for a lot of people who criticized the execution. I for myself can only say that in the end I find the twist of making Rey a Palpatine joining the Skywalkers more interesting and creative than just revealing her to be Luke's abandoned daughter and supposed to hero who carries on the legacy of the family. Would have been a bit too straight for my taste, a bit too linear. So all in all I am fine with the actual decisions. And regarding the "real Skywalkers": well...their fate was a bit sad, indeed. But meanwhile I feel this family is too doomed to have sucess or longterm-luck and maybe they had to go after by after.

TX-20 and godisawesome like this.
  22. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Indeed.

Now, I personally disagree that there's any more value in Rey being a Palpatine rather than just Luke's daughter, and that combined with the Skywalkers dying out does feel like a deal breaker I can't stand and refuse to watch again.

But it's that it's a deal breaker for me, while the opposite would merely be a tolerable disappointment for you, that makes the difference.

23. Awushi Awere

May 11, 2020
    Hmm...I see your point. But does that mean that Lucasfilm should listen to the less benevolent ones? Like following the sensitive expectations of a certain group of fans ("...because the other ones can stand it as a 'tolerable disappointment' in worst case")? Or do you just speak for your very own perspective?

And if it's about the question which desicision would have been the "biggest crowdpleaser" in the end....well...I think it would have been the "Luke's daughter"-version, to be honest. But for me that would have been a bit lazy/uncreative. I go for the more controversial one in this case - also from a very own perspective, not an egoistic one towards the fandom!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  24. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    We've both got personal tastes hailing from different POVs about the purpose of art; it's debatable how much that should impact pop-art, so I'll approach it from a different perspective.

Business-wise, of course the preferable answer for the company of LFL and Disney would be both crowd-pleasing but also executed well - Rey Skywalker would gain some extra points there from being easy to figure out and therefore requiring only finesse in execution, while other answers like Rey Random would require much more conceptual fine-tuning and finesse. That's not to say that making Rey Random work would be completely impossible... but it would be improbable and extremely difficult. Still, business-wise, the goal is profit and pop-culture approval - in that POV, originality simply doesn't matter much.

Art-wise, if you'll forgive a little bit more of a provocative and opinionated argument here... I don't think Rey Random or even just Rey Not-A-Skywalker actually adds anything new to the franchise, and is strictly just a fairly cheap way to cash in on surprise without any real substance. That's not to say that audience members who value surprise are wrong; merely that in the long run, it's not truly a valuable addition to the "artwork" aspect of a product. Part of the problem is that Star Wars is already known to work without Skywalkers, so it doesn't change anything to argue that already proven point. You also risk executing the idea badly with another Skywalker present to then hypocritically betray your intended message... which is something I think TLJ succumbed to.

It's not that I think it would always, 100% be wrong to try something new with Rey, or to try surprising more of the audience... it's more that I think that human nature would make it highly improbable anyone would succeed beyond getting *some* delighted audience members for the surprise without alienating *more* audience members by failing to finesse a tricky story subject given the context around it, and more likely to unintentionally "prove" the opposite prejudice because of how much more story is already behind the Skywalkers.

Like, while I think a great artist could pull it off, even a good artist is likely to get distracted and fail - like Rian Johnson.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    alwayslurking likes this.
  25. Awushi Awere

May 11, 2020
    @godisawesome
    If I understand you correctly, the essence of your words is that "Rey Palpatine -> Adoptive-Skywalker" has no artistic value for you, because nothing new and not well executed. Am I right here?

Because for me it's mainly about: Do I see emotional weight for me? Is it logical for me? Is it still within reach for a standard audience? Does it still hold a fair amount of surprise in store without obviously (!) just looking for provocation? I answer yes to all of these questions. Would there have been other variations where I would have answered all of these questions in the affirmative? Possible. But all in all, it was one of the very good paths that I could walk.

But as you say: we have different expectations on this topic. And although you try to present your argument very objectively, the core of your statement seems actually to be: "Rey should be a blood Skywalker or not at all and actually nothing would be new and it is the great challenge to make me like it." Or do I understand your posting completely wrong? (I am not a native english speaker.) For me in your text is a certain degree of sovereignty to interpret what is good for the story and what is not. Also I believe to see some negative TLJ-bias in your comments meanwhile. I think to understand what your problem with the ST is and what causes this bias for the previous and next certain movie (TFA & TROS). But what would have actually been your desired execution?

godisawesome likes this.