main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Games will be watched crouched behind bulletproof seats.

2. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Ugh, things have gone really downhill in DC :( I remember as a kid it was normal to hear on the news that there were 3-4 shootings overnight in the District. Somehow we cleaned that up for a long time, but it's all come back. Work invited me to last night's game, but I have been hanging out with my son lots and didn't want to tell him I was going to a baseball game without him. So, several of my co-workers were there. Ugh, that's really all I have to say about that.

3. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Curious: what was done to clean it up for a longe time? And what’s changed lately to make it bad again? In your opinion.

4. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    I don't live in the city limits. I don't go to city council meetings. I haven't even been into DC since Jan of '20 since Covid. So I am not comfortable answering that and stating opinions. I am not sure I even have any or how to form them. I'm removed from the situation.

5. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Fair enough, wasn’t sure if something during the better times had been implemented that helped which went away or changed. That’s all.

6. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Well just to be clear, I have never been afraid of going into the city and I refuse to be. I'll still go to a Nationals game again. I'm just saving money for other stuff right now. I'll even take my kids. I'm actually saving to take my kids to Coney Island Brooklyn NY. Which because of travel and hotels is a lot to save. Inner cities are my favorite place ever. This is completely off topic, I just want to make sure I didn't want to make a point I didn't mean to make. I wish I was going to DC all the time, but lack of $ is my main reason. I would have been at a Wizards play-off game if I had $. The metro here, the main way into DC is rather expensive for the family to get downtown it's like $20 roundtrip. There's a big problem right there. If us suburb people could get downtown easier for less $ we would.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  7. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Oh I agree. Despite what some might think, us Burbers love nights out in the city. It’s hard to get out there though and any of the major ones near us still have serious parking problems on weekends! I don’t have any cities near me anywhere close to the size of DC but travel to and from can still be an issue too. There are only so many entertainment dollars and you have to use them wisely. They run out fast. ;)

8. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    What disturbs me the most about the Nationals Stadium incident is seeing all those people genuinely afraid that the next big mass shooting is about to happen right there before them, with nowhere to go since they were inside the stadium, with the only immediate option being to find cover. That seemed like such a prolonged sense of not being sure what was about to happen. I really felt a sense of dread watching so many of them just kind of freeze and lower themselves onto the ground between the seats they were sitting in.

It was good to see them put the announcement up so quickly that the incident is outside the stadium

9. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I do think it's more a measure of presence of mind than it is actual occurrence. I'm reminded of someone talking about how he had accepted he was going to die in an incident where someone threw some sort of firecracker or something into a Cheesecake Factory, and he had just mentally gone straight to "that's the start of it, and next will be the shooting". Not from a personal incident, and not because that was common, but because he was French and the attacks in France were prominent enough that they were very present in his mind.

My point being more that the fear people show of something (while often still real fear) shouldn't be used to demonstrate the scale of the problem, because setting *that* as the standard rather than the risk is a dangerous precedent.

10. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    That's the thing though, so many people are aware that this kind of thing can actually happen that it creates that sense of dread in the moment.

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    There's many people that exhibit a sense of dread in a moment where their sense of dread should be discounted. Like the standard defense from officers of "I was afraid for my life". "People are afraid" is a bad metric. The rate an event occurs at can be a good one.

Heck, I think one could argue much of the GOP strategy is making sure that so many people are aware of a thing (often improperly framed) that they have a sense of dread that drives them to vote Republican. (More relevant, the fear people have that drives many to own guns also can fall into the same sort of thing of so many people with a sense of dread such that Democratic presidents being elected apparently leads to gun purchasing spikes)

My point is only that this can be discussed without setting a tone that allows for that. And that there's a distinction between discussing the emotional components and using them to try to demonstrate relative risks.

12. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Tatis and Machado though, good blokes, am I right?

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Three or four days out of the week, I'll hear gunshots in the distance at night. In freaking Minnesota. A little over a year ago, I heard a loud gunshot pretty close to where I live.

14. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    it's normal in the big American cities. There was a panic in the stadium in DC because our nation is freaking traumatized by the rate of mass shootings to the point that that is the first thing that comes to mind even when it shouldn't. There was also that incident before the All Star Game, but folks need to understand that while Stadium themselves have hardened security and are extraordinarily safe, the streets outside are no guarantee. There are different locations for major league stadiums, some of them are right in town, some of them are in the suburban wilderness surronded by empty lots, some of them are on the edge of business districts. National Stadium is one of the ones sitting right in a densely populated neighborhood, much like Wrigley and Yankee Stadium.
    As soon as I heard the report of gunfire outside of the stadium I knew exactly what it was. It was obvious and there was little to zero danger to the spectators in the stands, maybe some fans in the concourse but even they would need to be in the right place at the wrong time. This is the reality of our urban streets. It can happen. I for one am always on guard when i'm entering and exiting Yankee Stadium. I don't expect it to happen, but I know brazen criminal activity is a possibility.

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
  16. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Jesus...now this is sad. Parkland shooting survivor's own dad started following QAnon this year, and now thinks his son is part of the shooting hoax, was paid to cover it up, and blames his son for what he's done to his own family by lying about it. His mom won't help him either and he's planning on movie out asap.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  17. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The article mentions that the dad mouths off when he's drinking. I would say this particular case is mostly about someone struggling to deal with an alcoholic parent, but then again I don't know how much substance abuse plays a role in the wider QAnon/right-wing conspiracy sphere.

19. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  21. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    *Westwingheaddesk.gif*

22. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
  23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Two school shootings in North Carolina last week. One kid in Winston-Salem died.

We’ve got Covid school and all the **** from pre-Covid school at once.

24. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    absolutely ****ing loss for words.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I saw the first StopFamilyFire.org commercial during a Braves game. One of the most disturbing PSAs I’ve ever seen and on a station that has played very right-wing ads, it gave me hope.

Runjedirun likes this.