main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Animated Shorts The Micro Series & Genndy Tartakovsky appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by GGrievous, Sep 2, 2012.

1. silentfault

silentfault Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 5, 2021
    There was no Battle of Christophsis in CW03, perhaps you are confusing it with the Battle of Muunilinst.

2. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    Obi Wan the negotiator has a very similar scene in both. memory just kickstarted with a you tube comparison video
    not much exposition or in depth planet explanation.
    am I right in thinking the battle where Mace destroys the thousands of droids is Dantooine? not really watched it closely since 03

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  3. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    That's correct, it's Dantooine.

4. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    thought so thanks

Count Yubnub likes this.
  5. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    always forget R4 gets killed in this. maybe it's a different R4 than we see in ep3.. but still gets his lid taken off bless him

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Need some retconning to figure out which one of the jousting IG droids is IG-11 hahah

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Grevious is so much more menacing in this show it’s ridiculous

AusStig and Darth__Lobot like this.
  8. This show was the last piece of visual SW media that still feel like Star Wars for me the tone and the atmosphere is very unique i dont feel the same vibre watching TCW or the Disney shows

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2021
  9. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Volume One makes me really nostalgic. I watched those 3-minute episodes back when they were first released and loved them. They came at just the right time, halfway between AOTC and ROTS. Definitely the most exciting period in my life as a Star Wars fan, as the trilogy was nearing its long-awaited climax. I just kept rewatching AOTC and CW felt very much like an extension of that film.
    What I liked the most about it was its simplicity. After the complex, multilayered narrative of AOTC (which was entirely appropriate; I adored it), it was refreshing to get into some good old-fashioned, almost one-dimensional cartoon action with these characters. The war had begun and politics would have to wait. It was time to fight - and turn the campness up to eleven!
    Gosh, it was great.

Volume Two was great too, but there was something about that first batch that made it more special. I guess the 3-minute time frame for each episode forced them to narrow things down to the bare essentials and be as effective in their storytelling as they possibly could, which gave the series a unique feel. You sort of got the sense that the war raged on at a relentless pace, which made it seem more desperate.
    And it has so much charm!

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Volume 2 feels a bit more like a complete animated film, Volume 1 definitely has skipping across the galaxy feel

Count Yubnub and Lulu Mars like this.
  11. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    Yeah I always thought the micro-series made his character SOOOOO much better.

12. sxnofthesuns

sxnofthesuns Jedi Padawan

Jun 20, 2021
    This is so spot on. I remember absolutely battling our dial-up so I could catch up on the series on the Star Wars website before ROTS came out. I was lucky to catch some episodes on Cartoon Network if they were on at the time and I was home. The time before AOTC and ROTS is when I really immersed myself in that universe, and the microseries for me was a huge part of that. I'm so thrilled they're on Disney+ now so more people can get to see it.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  13. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Yes! It's a piece of SW history and it's great that they've made it more easily accessible.

14. Prequelfan93

Prequelfan93 Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 12, 2021

Hello people i found this and want to bring it to your attention if you haven't seen it. :)

15. Darth Baga

Darth Baga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2021
    That's really cool! I can't wait to see how it can be made compatible with Canon. I don't think it should be too hard since CW03 leads into CW08 pretty well. You just have to do little things like change the date of the Nelvanian arc and maybe nerf Grevious a little.

Otherwise, most of the events can occur prior to or concurrently with CW08. It would be good to see a canon take on Anakin's knighting and fight with Ventress.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    Prequelfan93 likes this.
  16. Prequelfan93

Prequelfan93 Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 12, 2021
    TCW infamously screwed up the EUs continuity if they can somehow make both shows fit together and keep grievous as a badass who gets weak later on they have my support. I am not really a TCW fan but i kinda am excited for this fan-made special edition of the 2003 clone wars.

AusStig likes this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Watched again. As I said in another thread. I love how short these are

Darth__Lobot and Prequelfan93 like this.
  18. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    This show guys! Damn! Like @Lulu Mars said this show was released at exactly the right time! I was anticipating every episode and was sitting in front of my computer waiting for it. As a german I couldnt get to catch it on Telli so it was required to watch it online. The years between AtoC and RotS were so exciting and patience breaking. That show helped getting through the time. I must have watched the episodes so much back then!

I remember that the starwars.com Hyperspace section, an exclusive membership you had to pay for, had a High Quality release of the episodes. And you were not supposed to download them but with a trick it worked and so I was able to collect those episodes. I think I still have them on a disc for safekeeping.

I just watched both Volumes on D+ yesterday. Its fast, its action packed, its beautiful animated. It tells so much stuff in such short time. It still look amazing and feels like STAR WARS. Perfection and far ahead of its time. The first shot of the show with Yoda riding his kybuck is iconic and the quick cuts into different war scenes is great! Some stuff of the show got reused for TCW (Ventress, the MonCal conflict, Grievous, Illum..) but I really wished we could fit this show into the Canon.

It was great seeing Anakin fighting in the wars but his BEST scene by far for me is his Knighting. THIS is so beautiful and we really needed to see this. So many emotions in Obi-Wan. When he said "Its time we became brother..." and we think about what he's calling Anakin on Mustafar...

Amazing perfect show. Its time far ahead. Felt special when it was released and it still does feel special when I watch it now. And I got so lucky: I have both Volumes on DvD naturally, bought them back when they were released and unpacked them. In the last couple of years I bought all the old DvD releases again sealed and mint. Finally I found both Volumes sealed and mint on german ebay and just received them the past weeks. Only missing the Ewoks Movies sealed now for a complete set.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
  19. Darth Baga

Darth Baga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2021
    I sometimes wonder what a Tartakovsky show set during the OT would be like. I want to see his Rebels.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  20. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    The Micro-Series is fab. I watch it every year. I admit that Grievous' fight with the Jedi early in the war and his fight with the clone troopers and other guards of Palpatine influenced how one of the minions of my novel's Dark Lord fought multiple opponents in my own novel.

21. In the next year Tartakovsky Clone Wars will turn 20 years old my first memories with Star Wars was watching that show as a Kid i hope they do something special to remember this show i think the animation still looks very good

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2022
  22. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Still hoping for a Blu-Ray release packed with extras that will never happen.

KyleKartan, AusStig and Darth Dnej like this.
  23. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    The only format in which Grievous works.

Darth__Lobot and AusStig like this.
  24. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Today I am sharing this infographic I made of the direction the Star Wars universe almost went in, back in 2005. Some of you might find this an intriguing piece of history, regarding Genndy.

[​IMG]

This infographic covers a little-known piece of EU history concerning the future of Lucasfilm Animation after the completion of the final season of the Clone Wars microseries in March 2005. Artist and Clone Wars director Genndy Tartakovsky (Samurai Jack, Dexter's Laboratory, Batman: The Animated Series) was approached soon after the completion of the series by George Lucas, who had Genndy as his first choice to not only lead the 3D The Clone Wars television series, but to be akin to the 'John Lasseter'-esque figure like Pixar had, leading Lucasfilm Animation in several different projects for years to come.

Lucas had enjoyed the Clone Wars microseries, as well as Genndy's prior work, remarking in 2003: “I’m a big fan of ‘Samurai Jack,’ so I was really excited when I heard that Genndy was doing this project. I watched ‘Clone Wars’ with my son Jett right after I got back from shooting ‘Episode III,’ and we just loved it. ‘Clone Wars’ is definitely ‘Star Wars,’ but it clearly has Genndy’s style. Visually, it’s like nothing else out there.” Following the first season of the microseries, Lucas took a more participatory role in the second season of the microseries, tasking Genndy and his team to 'illustrate the opening crawl' of Revenge of the Sith. It was following the premiere of those episodes where Lucas approached Tartakovsky with the offer to head up Lucasfilm Animation and The Clone Wars.

Tartakovsky was immediately interested and, excited at the prospect of Lucas' goal of expanding the animation department, thought of other ideas for the studio to pursue beyond just Star Wars, even developing an original film concept for the studio. Negotiations continued, and as things progressed, the deal was almost sealed. Tartakovsky's wife began searching for houses in San Francisco, and Tartakovsky met with Lucas for one final meeting in spring of 2005 (probably April or May) to agree on everything and make the deal. But, as recounted in the infographic above, Lucas balked at the idea of expanding the Lucasfilm Animation repertoire to feature films, featuring material beyond Star Wars, while Tartakovsky, though willing to work on the new Star Wars shows, wanted to do more beyond just the franchise. Ultimately, the deal fell apart then, and the future of the franchise would take a different turn.

Soon thereafter, in May/June of 2005, with his initial choice of Tartakovsky no longer in consideration, Lucas selected Dave Filoni to run Lucasfilm Animation and oversee the creation of The Clone Wars 3D series and the future of Star Wars was set. Yet in moments like this, we can take a look at what could have been and, very nearly, almost was instead.

Sources: Tartakovsky interviews (1, 2, 3, 4); Filoni interview (1); original Clone Wars sketches (1)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
  25. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    This show will always be my personal canon... and it's too bad Genndy Tartakovsky didn't end up heading Lucasfilm Animation. Ahhh, what could have been.

xezene and AusStig like this.