main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Arena 2020 Summer Olympics - Tokyo Japan

Discussion in 'Community' started by Sith_Sensei__Prime, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  2. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    The NYT sorting countries by total medals count rather than gold medals count in order to have US first is lame af.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I haven't watched any of the swimming competitions thus far, I just realized that. Peacock is very selective for some reason.

5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  6. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    They always do an overall medal count as opposed to just gold.

7. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    It makes absolutely no sense

8. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I suggest reading this Wikipedia article. Essentially, there is no official ranking of countries because the Olympics are made up of contests between athletes, not between countries. The Olympic Charter prohibits the IOC from recognizing the ranking of countries, and the IOC only began releasing unofficial country rankings in 1992, presumably by popular demand, with a disclaimer that such rankings are not recognized. An official report in 1932 remarked that ranking countries was "a grave injustice on the smaller countries".

Runjedirun likes this.
  9. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    @jcgoble3
    every country-based competition is intrinsically unfair due to the fact that larger countries have a larger sample from which they can take their athletes. This is true for every tournament, not just in the Olympics.

Still, if you really, really really want to go there, in the case of the Olympics, it's pretty obvious that giving gold and bronze the same weight is not the right way to do it.

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  11. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Jasmine Camacho-Quinn wins the gold in the women's 100m hurdle race. This is Puerto Rico's second gold medal ever in the Olympics, the first one coming a few years ago when Monica Puig won in women's tennis.

I live in a condo in San Juan and people here are screaming and banging on pots and pans.

12. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I agree with her and with Murphy. And I'm sorry for the athletes impacted, but simply put: we can't trust that Russia won't do this again. I think they should have been allowed to participate - but not medal.

Instead, Russia will do this again in a few years. All but guaranteed they will find another loophole to exploit. Because once again, they've basically gotten away with it. It doesn't matter that they weren't called Russia. Everyone knew they were Russia and that they were Russian athletes. And Russia is still getting those medals. So yeah... I understand why the other athletes are mad about it. And ESPECIALLY after the whole weed debacle a few weeks ago, it feels really hypocritical to allow a team of athletes known for participating in doping before to be allowed to compete and medal.

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Emily Campbell becomes the first GB weightlifter ever to win a medal at the olympics. Silver.

Juliet316 and soitscometothis like this.
  14. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I have to say the BBC coverage is awful . I can't watch it live so have to watch the HLs the next day and it's awful . Take the BMX coverage , they only showed a couple of the runs , then some awful choppy-edit replays , coupla minutes of the actual sport , then it's followed by 15 mins. of chats with F+F , and inane questions like The One Show.

15. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    It's being shown on two channels here in Aus, and there are ads every five minutes or so which go on and on and on and on... It means they cut to ads in the middle of races, even short ones.

I can handle it in short bursts, but I have to keep switching it off and reminding myself why I gave up on TV. I keep track now with an online live feed and then try and catch highlights later.

Only yesterday they had beach volleyball on one channel and athletics on the other; so they decided to switch to the same game of beach volleyball on both. Brilliant.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Eurosport (UK) is like that with the ads but so far their coverage is better than the BBC's. I'm currently watching the men's 3M diving. At least they are showing the sport and not a bunch of yakking like the BBC.

Edit - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58052144 . The Belarus athlete has been given a humanitarian visa by Poland.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  17. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Sometimes it’s hard to take equestrian events seriously - the best way to be good at the sport is to be the child of a billionaire.

solojones and Runjedirun like this.
  18. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I always think the horse should get the medal.

19. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    That's awesome. She was dominant, played for the cameras during the entrances too, just a delight.

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007

21. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Glad to see sport climbing in the Olympics. It's so crazy to watch.

22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  23. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    So Lasha did not go for 500 kg. Instead he settled for less but new records. I've seen a bit of speculation that it's good for business for him not to hit that total, so he essentially just competes with himself since no one is near him, and he increases a bit per competition. Unfortunately I knew the end of this before I noticed it was there on youtube but I'll watch it anyway.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  24. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    two olympics removed from participating in what is considered the greatest 4x100 race in history, the united states doesn't even make the final. unbelievable.

solojones likes this.
  25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It was a truly embarrassing race...

EDIT: OTOH, the Shotput finals were amazing...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    solojones likes this.