main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    In more cheerful news, I would like to introduce you all to the privilege of getting a dye job when you have a lot of white hair.

For the past dozen years or so I've been using some really cool hair dyes that combine a base colour very similar to my original hair colour (almost black) with a tint of something fancy – mostly blue-black, but I tried a few reddish ones as well. The result was a dark brown with a mere shade of the extra tint. But now, I have lots of white hair – as in, lots and lots and lots of white hair (can't imagine why that happened during the past year and a half, eh?) Bottom line, when I get a dye job now, the extra tint becomes really intense on the white hair. Last month I did my usual blue-black and I got this really bright shade of indigo. And yesterday, I did chestnut-auburn and now I have a headful of sparkling copper :D

When I return from vacation, I'm trying the platinum blonde. I figure I'm at an age where I can allow myself a few eccentricities.

2. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    Aren't those the worst?[face_bleh] I have had one of those through my entire carreer and that was enough for a lifetime. I don't mind discussing with my boss and find solutions together. I actually don't mind occasionally doing what I'm told eiter, but the constant nagging about details which makes you unable to think more than two sentences in a row is exhausting and annoying and makes you want to explode - multiple times a day. Most employees are actually trying to do a decent job and unless anything particularly bad happens the boss should trust their employees. If they can't, they have found the wrong person and should basically blame themselves.

mavjade and amidalachick like this.
  3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Some guys in the Olympics in a jump competition decided to share the gold medal. Apparently you can only do this under very specific conditions but cool none the less

Mistress_Renata and amidalachick like this.
  4. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Cool! I know in swimming they can share medals (I think there was a case in Rio) because swimming has to be by time and they can only time to the hundredth of a second. This is because Olympic swimming pools are only built to the centimetre, not millimetres, so the lanes can actually be SLIGHTLY different lengths.

My week... well 2 weeks going on 3, continues to suck. I thought I had a full box of insulin pump supplies since it was up high on a shelf and I only do that when I first get them (I get 3 boxes at once and they take up room!). Nope. Late last night I got it down and opened it to see there were 2 infusion sets (the tube that goes in me) in there. Thankfully enough to last for ~6 days if nothing goes wrong (hahahaahahaha my life doesn't work like that), and fortunately for me, I can use my sister's pump supplies... unfortunately she's away on vacation right now and I don't have keys to her place. THANKFULLY a couple of friends rushed to my aid and offered me their credit cards (I have to order my supplies online) so I was able to get a box ordered. Shipping is usually pretty quick and once my new card gets here (hopefully Tuesday... damn you long weekend!) I'm going to sign up for automatic shipments.

But for today, the sky is black with overcast and smoke (it's supposed to rain all afternoon and into the evening so knock on wood for that) so I'm going to embrace it by doing nothing, watching the Olympics, and maybe I'll turn on a movie if I need to totally excape.

Edit: Social media person (new bane of my existence) from work just texted me asking me to do something (it's Sunday afternoon of long weekend, lady). SCREW THIS JOB, SCREW THIS JOB, SCREW THIS JOB. I knew I shouldn't have given her my cell number.

SCREW THIS JOB, SCREW THIS JOB, SCREW THIS JOB.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    DarthIshtar and amidalachick like this.
  5. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    If you don't need the job for finances, then I think it's definitely time to quit.

6. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Honestly at this point, I would be very firm with my boundaries: ie, I only work on [blank], and only from xam-xpm and will not answer any calls/text/messages on weekends. If there is any written material/emails discussed of what hours you were supposed to work, you'd have that as evidence. The worst they can do is fire you, which would probably be in your favour anyways.

mavjade , amidalachick and jcgoble3 like this.
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Anyway hope your all doing good

8. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    That's so cool about sharing the gold medal!

I agree with @jcgoble3 and @gizkaspice about the job, it sounds like at this point it's just more stress than it's worth. Hugs and sympathy to you, @Briannakin , and to @mavjade and @DarthIshtar and anyone else who needs it as well!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    mavjade and Briannakin like this.
  9. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah. Problem is, getting a job as a physically disabled person is very difficult. Not that that's a good reason to stay in a mentally aggravating job if I dont need it. But I do know that as soon as this 20th anniversary bologna is over, things should get much easier (heck, we are shutting everything down for 2 weeks starting at the end of August to sit down and reorganize everything).

BUTTTT...
    Yeah, I'm going to talk to my co-worker about this (my boss takes things so damn personally for me to go to her). We are supposed to be available for the weekends/evenings BUT, that is more for planned events, not to answer stupid texts about social media (and her text should have been an email and I should have just ignored it, but I answered it and did it like a sucker - ugh, I am aware this is partly my own doing).

I am just so done. I'm not sure if I need a vacation, or if I need to quit. But I'm going to wait till after I take my vacation before deciding to do something drastic.

Anyways. It rained a bit (hallelujah) and I think I am going to make myself pancakes for dinner. It's been that kind of day.

10. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Had my second Moderna yesterday and with that in me getting funny ideas for another Olympics challenge

11. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Mine is almost completely white, apart from the ends. I did think about blond, but I'm so pale I'm worried I'd look like a cariacature. I am thinking that (when I retire) I might go washable pink. Just for the fun of it. I'll look like a cotton candy, but whatever.

"@Briannakin is out of the office, will be returning on ______. Please put all requests into an email, and she will address them when she returns." Use this for non-emergency requests.

And the crap continues vein... my father is in the hospital again. More cancer. It hasn't spread, but at his age, they don't want to operate and chemo is out of the question. They are doing immunotherapy, but his blood level creatin went up. So he is in the hospital, sleeping most of the time, hallucinating from the pain meds and not eating. The family are bringing him milkshakes, he'll eat those. My mother phoned me Friday & asked me to come down, she is not optimistic. So the cat (by request) and I had a 7 hour drive, and here we are. I can work from here, and support her as much as I can. I'm not optimistic either, but I'm trying to be, for her sake. Prayers or positive energies, please, from anyone who cares to offer them.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    That’s great to hear

13. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I loved seeing this. The officials offered a last jump to determine a winner and they asked if they could share it instead. They had so much respect for each other.

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Plus logically it makes sense to share. Why risk the chance at getting silver instead of gold.

15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Nah. I'm just going to ignore all requests (particularly from this person) that come in after hours/on my days off. I have the unhealthy habit of trying to prove my worth by being available to help, but it's getting ridiculous.

I'm so sorry. There are never any words of comfort in these situations. I hope you and your family can make it through well. @};-

Adding to my continued week of "things going wrong"... my dishwasher broke last night [face_sigh]It won't drain. A minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things - I just gotta call someone tomorrow after the holiday to come fix it, and I can hand-wash dishes (even though the idea pains me); I did it for 5 years. But it's one more thing I have to deal with. I just don't want to adult anymore.

But, I guess, one good bit of good news: I get my new wheelchair on Wednesday (AFTER ONLY WAITING FOR A YEAR FOR IT BETWEEN MISSING QUOTES AND COVID DELAYS). It's like getting a new car, but better!

mavjade , amidalachick and Gamiel like this.
  16. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I just sent an angry email to multiple university departments. The campus has been under a strict "do not use" water warning for nearly two months now. While housing has not been affected, I have spent a not-insignificant amount of time in my college's building doing various work, and I can't even wash my hands after using the restroom. On top of that, they were so incompetent as to lift the warning after two weeks and then come back a week later and say "oops, the water's still contaminated" and reinstate the warning. Guess what happened during that week? Yep, campus recreation topped off the pool from the campus water system during that week, so the pool has been closed for over a month now, meaning I can't practice between lessons (so I've now suspended lessons until I can begin practicing again). And since the warning was reinstated on June 30, we've been given exactly ONE update on July 16 and that said information was expected on July 19. Not a peep since then.

I politely demanded a "clear, specific, and unambiguous" timeline for when the warning is expected to be lifted and an accounting of why it is taking so long. If I don't get that by the middle of the week, I am likely to contact a few local TV stations to see if they would be interested in investigating the sheer incompetence here. After all, incoming freshmen move into their dorms in two and a half weeks and they deserve to know before then that their university officials don't care about a healthy water supply.

amidalachick likes this.
  17. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    @Mistress_Renata I'm so sorry to hear about everything your father and your family are going through. Sending lots of good vibes your way. [:D]

earlybird-obi-wan likes this.
  18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I got screwed by someone misremembering dates at my university. So either tomorrow I salvage this somehow. Or I am totally boned. either way wish me luck

19. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I wish you luck, sans those kinds of metaphors. :) I hope you have a good resolution to an unpleasant position.

@Mistress_Renata your family is in my prayers.

@Briannakin yay for the new wheelchair.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  20. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Today is the 8th consecutive day with temperatures above 40°C. I mean, Greece is known for its hot summers, but this is unheard of. It's a miracle the power grid hasn't collapsed with everyone pumping electricity like mad to cool their houses.

@Mistress_Renata That was a like of sympathy. Mr Chyn and I are both thinking of you and sending you all the positive vibes we can. Just take it one day at a time, it's important to be there even if there isn't much you can do @};-

@Briannakin I'm officially going to ask my mother to un-eye you, because someone has clearly given you the evil eye lately. I'll report back; if she starts yawning like crazy it means it worked.

@jcgoble3 I'm always baffled when I hear that this sort of thing is happening in the US. In any European country if a university had contaminated water for two weeks, let alone two months, they'd have a revolution on their hands.

amidalachick, Gamiel and jcgoble3 like this.
  21. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    @Mistress_Renata: Sorry to hear about your dad. Sending positive thoughts and virtual hugs. [:D]

22. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    The temperature outside right now is 44°C (111°F). This begins to feel like the end of the world in a dystopian movie.

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Stay cool :cool:

:p

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    Chyntuck likes this.
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Good news I might not be as screwed as I thought.

25. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Okay, I swear I'm not trying to complain about my job constantly but this one I just have to get off my chest and I can't really do it any place where people might know who/what exactly I'm talking about. Someone in a managerial position sent an email this morning saying that ICU admissions are going back up so this could have a "positive impact" on our sales. Are you [redacted] KIDDING ME?!!?! It goes on about how we should be capitalizing on this and how this is a big opportunity, etc. But the positive impact on sales is what sent me over the edge. Not even a nod to the fact that it means more people are getting sick and more people are dying. No nod to this can help us improve patient outcomes. I know empathy fatigue is a real thing but this email passed that a loooong way back. I'm livid.
    - - -

@Mistress_Renata - I'm so sorry to hear about your father. Sending you all the love, positive energy, and hugs. @};-

@Briannakin - you need a vaycay in a glorious and far away place. Which I know isn't really possible, but damn... at least some time where you can do nothing.
    I'm astounded it's taking so long to get your card, I know there are extenuating circumstances but when I've lost my card before, they almost always overnight me a new one.

100% I'm so happy she did what she needed to do, that took so much courage. Courage I'm almost positive I wouldn't have in that situation.
    Unfortunately since the US health care system is tied up in your job, I can't quit at the moment because we need the health insurance at the moment. We can't risk not being covered even for a short amount of time right now. I'm kinda at the I can hang on for 6 months and then maybe I can quit stage. But I agree leaving for your mental health is a valid and good reason.

I LOVE it!! My hair is also very dark and while I have a decent number of white strands (you can't miss it), they still aren't quite enough close together to make it cool like that when I dye it. I'm looking forward to that day!

Exactly! I don't mind doing what I'm told, doing my job, but the constant nagging drives me nuts. I agree, that most people are trying to do their best and if you give them the tools to do so, they will. I feel like the micromanagers make people not do their job as they would be if you'd just let them do it.