main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Official "List Your Complaints about Rogue One" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by BretHart, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    My only real complaint is that I can’t believe they killed off...Bor Gullet.

BlueYogurt likes this.
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  3. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    So, Krennic went down to Scarif to the records base in order to pull up every message Galen Erso ever sent. But why? Why did Krennic think that Galen would have spoken about his scheme over the phone? Galen just talked with Bodhi in person about it. Why would he talk with Bodhi over the phone when it was always recorded? Krennic knew that Galen conspired with the pilot. He said so on Eadu before he slapped Galen. It seems like a contrived way to get Krennic on that planet so he would be there when they broke in to get the plans. They lit the place up and shot him.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
  4. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Probably just in case, and to see if there might’ve been some major details of the DS plans leaked to the broader Rebel Alliance (which could’ve also given Krennic info on their whereabouts, perhaps, which would put him in good standing with the Emperor). Made sense to me.

5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    It would make sense to have a standing procedure to deal with security breaches. You find out a high-level scientist or engineer has betrayed you, you go through all his mail to look for clues about who he's been in contact with and what he told them. Unless he's an idiot, his comms won't spell out his treachery in black and white, but there are likely to be hints and suspicions worth investigating.

6. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yup. As someone with experience in bureaucratic procedure when it comes to security issues, I found it very true to life. Like a lot in the film.

Darth__Lobot and Sarge like this.
  7. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    This isn't a movie I often complain about, but Chopper didn't translate well to love action. Next to R2, he still looks like a cartoon character.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    CampOfSorgan, Sarge and BlueYogurt like this.
  8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    But in the movie we don't see him that well, or next to R2:

[​IMG]

CampOfSorgan and Bor Mullet like this.
  9. BlueYogurt

BlueYogurt Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2021
    My biggest complaint is that there's no talk of Garreth Edwards directing another Star Wars film. He's the only one since Disney took over Lucasfilm, to get it right.

10. CosmoHender

CosmoHender Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2016
    I know this is a late response, but I wanted to share my take. Because when the film first came out, I actually did feel like Saw was underutilized. Especially since as a Clone Wars fan, I was really excited to see its first character make the jump to live action. However, I actually feel like his growing appearances has made me content with his role in Rogue One because it gives additional context. Plus Rogue One already has a large cast, so I don't really mind him dying like he does. Especially since his character is still felt after his death, particularly in stories like the Marvel run and Inferno Squadron. In any case, I look forward to Saw's return in Andor.

Bor Mullet and CampOfSorgan like this.
  11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I believe in Edwards’ original story, Saw and his partisans came to Scarif to fight. I’m guessing the studio may have had problems with characters essentially portrayed as terrorists joining the heroic fight at the end…

Sarge likes this.
  12. CosmoHender

CosmoHender Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2016
    Honestly, if that is the case then I kinda get it. Rogue One is already a very heavy film and I think we're very lucky that it turned out how it did. Like imagine if they had been forced to cut Cassian shooting the informant, for example.

Darth__Lobot, Sarge and Bor Mullet like this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    True. Though the only niggling issue I have with the film is in regard to the partisans that escape Jedha, and what happened to them. Would’ve liked at least seeing some of the alien partisans show up on Yavin/ Scarif, under the premise that given the catastrophe that just happened on Jedha, the partisans and Alliance should band together again (indeed, we’ve seen BTS footage of one partisan alien, Moroff, on Scarif, so these scenes were indeed filmed). Would’ve been a realistic approach (sometimes when your survival is at stake from
    a common threat you have to ally with unsavory characters), and I do wish Edwards’ vision there had panned out. But due to likely discomfort with “terrorists being heroes,” I imagine we’ll never see that footage.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    Sarge likes this.
  14. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    So true!!

Often I find myself wishing there were still only 3 Star Wars films, as I believe the series has lost it's prestige...but then I remind myself that we never would have got Rogue One! :cool:

I don't believe ANY of the SW films are absolute train wrecks (not at all) but each of the new sets of films do not feel like the world the OT set out. I've said it before and I'll say it again - It goes deeper than the time they are set in. It's the look and feel!

It's the only SW film that i can say hand on heart made me feel the same way the OT did...and even rivals them!
    It's the only SW film that I can say hand on heart didn't ruin existing characters...but add to them!

Get Gareth Edwards back!! =D=

***oops, just forgot the thread I was in***

I need to complain... Um... Er... Leia's ship being docked inside the larger ship and the transition of the plans was a bit convoluted and messy. Especially since that line of dialogue about "Rebel spies beaming the DS plans to this ship" had been around for 40 years! That being said, the Vader scene was worth me having to do mental gymnastics to make it work!! :D

15. BlueYogurt

Aug 26, 2021
    I don't see why Disney is having such trouble making a decent Star Wars film. It shouldn't be that hard. After all, they've already done it once (and only once).

Bor Mullet likes this.
  16. Intergalactic Lawman

Nov 26, 2020
    Yeah, I hear you... But if the rumors are true, and they are absolute control freaks (Just look at the track record of failed projects that fell apart due to "creative differences") when you work for/with them...it's not surprising.

Hiring someone for a project and then making them tick off a list of "must haves" must be creatively stifling! There is another way of looking at this of course... Maybe that intrusive supervision has stopped people playing in the SW sandbox from going completely "off road" with the series and delivering absolute garbage!

I'll keep my opinions to myself, but given that I already said RO is the only Disney film I have loved...you can figure it out.

Gareth Edwards should be given Rogue Squadron! :xwing::xwing::xwing::xwing::xwing:

Set it in the OT era (where it ALWAYS belonged with a title like that) and let the man do what he does best!! [face_peace] If it's a success again (like RO) then give him a third "Rogue" film!!

Wouldn't that be a great set of films if he could capture the magic again??

BlueYogurt likes this.
  17. BlueYogurt

Aug 26, 2021
    They need to stop giving these movies to no talent "blockbuster" directors like J.J. Abrams. Patty Jenkins is another example of a director they shouldn't let near a Star Wars film (if the Wonder Woman films are any indication of her talent). The Empire Strikes Back, arguably the best film in the OT, was done by a director known for serious dramas. I really think it's time the Star Wars franchise grew up a little.

18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Edwards and Gilroy should team up to form the genre movie equivalent of the Coen Brothers. They’re a magical combo.

BlueYogurt likes this.
  19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I would probably like a Rogue Squadron movie by Edwards, but I still want Patty to make hers. I like her first WW a lot, and her dad being a USAF fighter pilot means she can be expected to bring a lot of passion to the project. So, let's have multiple RS movies. Trilogies are still cool, right? I nominate Peter Jackson to direct the 3rd one; he collects WW1 airplanes, so he's got the interest in dogfighting to make a good one too.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  20. Intergalactic Lawman

Nov 26, 2020
    Peter Jackson scares me these days... The LOTR's films were outstanding. The Hobbit films were atrocious.

He is now obsessed with his toys and cgi the way an older Lucas was...and boy did it show

21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Peter Jackson is much better when he's focused on his WWI interests, in my view. They Shall Not Grow Old was excellent. I don't care for how he interpreted Tolkien, and I'm not sure I'd care for how he'd interpret Star Wars.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
    Sarge and Intergalactic Lawman like this.
  22. Intergalactic Lawman

Nov 26, 2020
    The only Directors I really trust at the moment are Nolan and Villeneuve... Their films range from being pretty good - Excellent! That's a nice range imo

Rogue One complaint...? Very, very minor. If you are going to have Chirrut Imwe sooo similar to a Jedi - Then just make him one! :cool:

23. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    I don't think the story really works if Chirrut is a Jedi. Would Baze also be a Jedi in this scenario? Because I don't think the nature of his loss of faith works if he was a Jedi. And I don't think their relationship works if Chirrut is a Jedi and Baze isn't.

Darth__Lobot, Sarge, EHT and 3 others like this.
  24. Intergalactic Lawman

Nov 26, 2020
    Han and Luke worked fine...

25. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    That is an entirely different dynamic. Baze's character arc is that he has to rediscover his lost faith, and that he gets there through the example of his best friend.