main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    watching the Dodgers -Reds game and they had to do it. they had to bring up Deshields father and that trade
    "it's not that he was bad , it's just in comparison."
    .250, .256 and .224 is bad.
    followed that up by hitting over .290 3 of the next for years elsewhere.
    freaking deshields

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Judging him by batting average is a mistake, he was a walks guy.

Only his last year in LA was bad. His OBP was 357 and 353 his first two years in LA, and even after 96 his career OBP was 351. He was a consistent OBP + steals guy up to that point.

OBP by year, starting with rookie season.

That last year with the Dodgers in 96 was clearly an outlier.

The remainder of his career.

292 (192 BA + a lot of walks)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
  4. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    he managed to score 51, 66, and 75 runs with Piazza , karros and Mondesi hitting behind him. And he struck out 124 times in 1996, and acted like he didn't want to be there the whole time. he came off htting .292 and .295 with Montreal. that's what they traded for.

5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    His first two years in LA were strike shortened seasons and he missed extra games. Seems another odd way to judge him.

6. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Yeah well fortunately for Cole, he won't be facing anyone as formidable for the rest of the year as the Indians.

7. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Cards have won 8 in a row.

Now as long as the Brewers are resting the next 2 weeks, we should be able to take 2 series and punch a ticket to the playoffs.

Man, I never imagined that happening a month ago.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Braves out here doing the Dodgers a solid. You’re welcome, @DarthTunick. :p

DarthTunick and JEDI-RISING like this.
  9. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  10. Chromide

Chromide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I'll be really happy for Robbie Ray if he wins Cy Young this year. Glad he's put things together like this, always liked him when he was on the Diamondbacks but he walked too many guys. Now he's fixed that.

11. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Well I think Cole's game yesterday pretty much put it in the bag for Ray. Honestly it'd be just as well if Toronto made the playoffs this season instead of the Yankees since Ray has proven to be there throughout most of the season for when his team needed him; I think he's a real big game pitcher and the rest of their rotation is pretty reliable as well.

And I don't care how many more strikeouts Cole has than anyone else. A reliable, Ace starter does not give up 7 earned runs to a sub-.500 team AT HOME on a picture-perfect September Sunday. It's inexcusable (though I wouldn't put it past the Yankees to come up with some lame BS injury that somehow made him uncomfortable).

12. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    heels1785 likes this.
  13. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    My Mets fan friend just got around to watching the 30 for 30 about the '86 team, and the first thing she's told me is that halfway through she's already testing positive for cocaine just by watching and listening to Dykstra.

14. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I just saw that. Very excited for Salvy.

DarthTunick likes this.
  15. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    9 in a row for STL.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    yeah i'm not sure how much is the drugs and how much is him because he was always a bit off.
    interesting that they actually pulled Billy Beane into that thing as Dykstra is a pivotal part of the Moneyball book .

17. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Well Beane himself was a Met in the early 80s (of course it never amounted to anything). It's mentioned in the Moneyball movie and I'm sure it's in the book as well.

18. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    One of the highlights of the book, paraphrasing from memory, but Dykstra and Beane were roommates and Beane was reading in their room one night. Dykstra: "You shouldn't read, that **** will ruin your eyes."

Amazing.

19. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    yeah they were basically portrayed as opposites. i want to think there was another passage where Dykstra was being told about that days starter being Steve Carlton and he said '----- i'll get him'
    or am i thinking of a different book? any way that is a Dykstra story.

20. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Braves win and Phillies lose which is great. Makes our number 11 to clinch.

The fact that the freaking Cardinals are looking to be in the post season again...
    [​IMG]

Jedimarine likes this.
  21. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Gonna be a fun ride to the finish, methinks.

Fangraphs projects the Dodgers to finish at 103.5 wins, and the Giants at 103.6. Sure, the loser of that race still makes the playoffs, but you'd much rather have a five-game series with three at home than a single "winner take all" game.

Then, for the AL Wild Card, they have the Red Sox at 92.5 wins, the Jays at 90.9, and the Yankees at 90.1, plus the A's at 88 and the Mariners at 86.8. The NL Wild Card they have the Cards at 86.5, the Reds at 84.1, and the Padres at 82.3.

One game could literally swing any of those. And have we ever seen such a gap between the #1 Wild Card and the #2 Wild Card, the way we are looking at 15+ games in the NL? I can't imagine we have, but I'm too lazy to do all the looking.

Juliet316 and DarthTunick like this.
  22. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I don't know much about the NL schedule in terms of the playoff contenders (outside of the Mets playing Boston this week), but I know the AL should be pretty interesting with all three of the leading East teams going at each other's throats during the last nine or so games of the season. If the Yankees want a shot at anything, they absolutely need to sweep this series against the Rangers. Then they play Boston and Toronto, and finish the season with Tampa Bay. With any luck, the Rays would've clinched the division by then so they won't have anything special to play for.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  23. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Yeah, Beane has admitted that rooming with Dykstra was how he knew he'd never really make it as a player, because he saw how desperately Dykstra wanted it and he just didn't have that same passion.

It seems like no one wants those last spots. Just about every wild card contender has had a run in them the last couple of months only to fall apart again. The Cardinals (to all right thinking people's eternal annoyance) seem like they're putting enough distance that any return to the norm for them won't matter.

Amazing.

24. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    So the topic of discussion on Michael Kay's show today is whether or not Mets fans will be actively rooting for their team during these two games at Fenway this week or will actually be rooting for the Red Sox just to spite the Yankees and their fans.

Maybe it's just me. I don't get rooting against your own team just to spite a local rival of whom has nothing to do with your team's playoff chances (last I checked the Mets themselves aren't eliminated).

25. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    great to see sevy back last night, pitched well. boone put him in the perfect spot to gain some confidence.