main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics 2.0 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Nov 11, 2020.

1. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    You're aware that study is promoting those approaches "[a]longside aggressive fossil fuel emissions reductions" and not instead of them, right?

2. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    He said it was a good link. He never claimed he read it.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The loss of marine life so far is more due to overfishing, habitat loss, and pollution than climate change. But yeah, we're doing our best to finish the job by attacking the ocean on multiple fronts.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  4. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
  5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It’s soros. Soros might as well also just be equivalent to saying it’s the Jews. A rich Jewish guy? Conspiracy theorists could not keep their hands off him if they wanted to

6. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Agree on all counts. Overfishing has been a problem for a while. Hasn’t the US at least tried to mitigate some of this? The problem of course lies with the fact that oceans don’t really belong to anyone so the minute it’s out of our hands we can’t stop overfishing. Pollution built up for years due to dumping crap into the water. Bad idea.

Jedi Merkurian and Bacon164 like this.
  7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    still needs Manchin, Sinema, and every other Democrat

Juliet316 likes this.
  8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yes, true - my mistake.
    I'd still say that it's part of the "doomsday scenario" that Mike dismissed as not real though.

9. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Kamala earning her VP salary the hard way last night, the pipeline must flow.

Rew, BigAl6ft6, Darth Guy and 2 others like this.
  10. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Factors beyond climate change have had the greatest impact on fish populations. Where climate change has been much more directly responsible for damaging marine environments is in its devastation of coral reefs through ocean acidification, higher ocean temperatures, and deoxygenation -- though bad fishing practices, land runoff pollution, and microplastics, etc. aren't helping the situation either.

11. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Yeah but I'm more concerned about Soros's stash of alien DNA that he's secretly leaking into our water supply. I voted against doing it at the last Jewish Space-Laser Conspiracy chapter meeting but was overruled. If I see Mr. Soros at the next party I'll mention it to him.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    While climate change has effected many species most species which are endangered or have gone extinct had little to do with climate change and more humans just being morons. Take sea turtles for example. What cause the majority of death there is poaching, boating and fishing. Sure climate change isn’t helping, but if we stopped doing any of these at least in abundance the turtles would be better off.

13. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Ghost Even Senator King has stated that killing the filibuster for voting rights is worth it. Joe has kind of hedged his bets on it aka talk out of both sides of his mouth about it but it's Kyrsten who will be the one that says no to saving voting rights. I honestly think though that even if it were enacted MAGA states would defy federal law and then simply run it out in court for the next few years before they overturn it. Again the DNC needs to put it's weight behind beating the GOP at it's own game, not about legislation that can be ignore. The courts again could be useful since as I said before even most conservative tend to side with voters as I do not want to see being on one's right to vote.

Meanwhile.....

At this point the DC DA should be fully investigating this and if they are not we should be told why the blank not. Those Insurrectionists did not get there without help (money, organizing, inside information) as those people can barely put there pants on in the morning. There was a lot of bankroll behind including TFG Political Campaign and other GOP dark money including Clarence Thomas wife that help make that all happen. And obviously several members of Congress.

And whenever you think TFG or Goser or Boebert want to prove they are dumbest member of Congress, Louie Gohmert tells them all to grab some bench and hold his beer:

I think any prisoner @ Guantanamo Bay would be crying for joy if they were transferred to where they are holding the MAGAers and given the same treatment they are. Call me crazy Louie but I don't think any of them are being afford special diets like that one nutball is getting.

14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    A proposal from this author on how to handle the supply chain "crisis" that could become a real crisis for essential goods: wealthier people should stop buying so much crap.

On the whole, consumer expenditures, which encompass both necessity spending (rent, gas, groceries) and discretionary spending (whatever you ordered from an Instagram ad after three glasses of happy-hour wine last Friday), account for about 70 percent of the country’s economy, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. But that spending is not distributed equally. In a typical year, the most affluent 20 percent of people account for nearly 40 percent of the country’s consumer spending, and this wealthier group’s purchases are disproportionately discretionary.

Through the course of the pandemic, the situation has become even more lopsided. The affluent group spent much of 2020 working from home, largely insulated from mass unemployment and socking away the lion’s share of what Bloomberg Economics estimates as $2.3 trillion in extra cash that this group’s members might have otherwise spent on vacations or restaurant meals. Population-wide gains in spending power largely haven’t accrued to people with the most quality of life to gain from buying a few more things—they’ve gone to people for whom shopping is already a way of life.

Of course, there should be a system-wide approach to this rather than only asking individuals to change their habits.

15. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Lev thought Rudy + TFG could keep him out of jail. He choose poorly.

16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The Supreme Court is going to have a hearing on the Texas abortion law on November 1.

.... but they've made it clear that they're not going to talk about abortion at all - just whether the 'bounty system' is legal or not.

My guess? They are going to strike it down, because the Federalist Society realized that the whole 'bounty' thing was one of those nasty concepts that could apply to anyone, and not just be a boon for conservatives. Also, they don't want to tip their hand on ending abortion rights prior to the midterms, and there are a number of other challenges on the way that they can delay until November 2022. And even if there wasn't, there's always the complaint 5th Circuit Court to 'legislate from the bench' with another case designed solely to create precedents.

17. Kiki Jinn

Kiki Jinn Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2020
    These freaking idiots… acting like Trump won Emperor for Life designation in 2016.

oh look- “Parnas faces up to five years in prison for each of five counts and a sixth count for falsifying records to the FEC carries a 20-year maximum prison sentence.”

18. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
  19. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Vaderize03 Most court analysis think they are going to say the "bounty system" is illegal but the post six week is okay as "states should be ablr to interrupt Roe vs Wade as they see fit" therefore say goodbye to women's health in MAGA states. I happen to think that is correct as well. My question is what will they go after women who seek an abortion across state lines? My guess is no but I wouldn't pass them either.

And could it be that Democrats are finally getting a bit creative in their negotiations?

I be surprised but not shocked if Manchin & Sinema sign on to this. It effect about 700 billionaires who never even miss it and whoever half of them have admitted that they be okay if there taxes be raised a bit. And the other half won't support them anyway if they save them from a few additional taxes since they are MAGAers.

And the idea of Manchin and Sinema going to the GOP needs to be slapped down despite how frustrating they are. They both voted twice for impeaching TFG. You have no past, present or future if you go against TFG for a minute let alone impeach him twice. McCarthy is going full wannabe gangster against Cheney though he is finding out first hand that the daughter of Darth Cheney knows how to fight back. Ditto TFG and the Insurrection Squad.

Edit: And I love a good troll:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...tanden-white-house-staff-secretary/index.html

The GOP Snowflakes are losing their minds over this as TFG is one step away from saying the violence on 1/6 was justified and he authorized it.

Darth Nerdling and Juliet316 like this.
  20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Also most women won’t even have the option to seek an abortion in say New Mexico. Most who want an abortion will just get an illegal one.

however I agree I don’t think they’ll prosecute people who say go to New Mexico to get an abortion. If they did so much for the party of state rights.

*the Republican Party is only the party of state rights when it comes to passing ****** laws or prohibiting gay people from getting married.

21. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Jedi Knight Fett In Texas requiring life saving vaccine and critical masks during a pandemic is a invasion of "freedom" but telling a couple teens to cut their hair is not:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1282048

They truly live in an alternative universe making up problems and ignoring real ones.

I do agree though the SC won't ultimately make abortion "illegal" nor even go after women who seek one across state lines since it destroys their states should interrupt Roe vs Wade how they see fit. If they were to do that and really make abortion legal then that make it the #1 issue on the ballot the next two cycles which they do not want since it might be the one thing that ignites a true liberal wave and they can see themselves surrounded by liberal judges which is their ultimate fear. By leaving up to states both they and the GOP can say "we are not getting rid of abortion rights, just letting states deciding for themselves". Reminds me of Glenn Beck a bunch of years ago who said "I'm not against Vermont allowing gay marriage just as long as they don't tell the people of Texas to allow it as well" and then had a epic meltdown when Vermont approved gay marriages.

And of course the GOP will not be satisfied with this as they will want more including getting rid of birth control as this is all about control, not "protecting life". I wonder if birth control including the morning after pill being made illegal would Susan Collins move past being "concerned".

blackmyron and Juliet316 like this.
  22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Honestly if Matthew Mconhey or however you spell his last name runs for governor. I’d take him over Greg any day. I’d take a rock over him so it’s not a high bar for Texas to pass.

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Interestingly, the gun nuts agree with you!
    Gun Group Worries That Texas Abortion Bounty System Will Be Used Against Them

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    How will the republicans pressure their mistresses to get an abortion now? Oh they’ll just do it illegally cause they don’t care about the laws they pass. Right right

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Before Roe v Wade, women with money could still access abortions.

As far as the bounty system, something similar but far less extreme is being used against NC educators by Lt. Gov. Candace Owens with a Mustache. But nobody is getting $10,000 to report those of us who are not teaching bigotry into his “system,” so it isn’t working very well.

An example of the direction GOP legislatures could and likely would take though, expanding the bounty.