main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Is R1 Your New Favorite?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Doom Trooper, Jan 22, 2018.

1. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I agree.

And they had to put the scene in which Felicity's acting makes me cry every time on the thumbnail. I think R1 will be appreciated more over the years. Of course, I'm biased, and Mr. Johnson and Mr. Abrams ruined a sequel trilogy I was initially willing to accept despite being an old EU fan. I've noticed that old EU fans hate the sequel trilogy, but many of them like Rogue One. It's the kind of story that someone who didn't like the EU wouldn't not like, but it's the kind we would enjoy.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  2. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    RO, The Mandalorian and even Solo, have a feeling of ‘realism’ while absolutely being science fiction. That type of atmosphere is perfect and I hope they keep going for it.

3. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    Is "Rogue One" my new favorite SW movie? No. But it is "a favorite" of mine.

As long as a SW movie or production is emotionally realistic, I'm satisfied. This is one of the reasons why I have such a problem with the ST. All of the other SW productions, I'm fine with.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
    SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  4. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Rogue One is an exciting movie to watch.

Bor Mullet and themoth like this.
  5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I think it’s the best Star Wars film.

6. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    I can get behind this. I certainly enjoy watching it every year.

CosmoHender and Bor Mullet like this.
  7. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I wouldn't go that far, but for me it's the best thing since the OT.

8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The Last Jedi is the best Star Wars film IMO but Rogue One is quite good. I always find myself watching it on tv whenever it’s on even though I own it on Blu-Ray, digital and I subscribe to Disney+. :p

9. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    Rogue One has a great tone and look, but a pretty empty story beyond its connection to the OT.

Once we get more shows that give us that same tone and feel with more substantive stories, I don’t imagine myself revisiting this one very often.

I feel the same way about Mandalorian. I think right now we’re all lapping it up simply because the bar is pretty low. Once we get some quality shows down the line I think ppl will realise how mediocre Mandalorian is most of the time.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    ezekiel22x likes this.
  10. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    lol no

EDIT: OK, my not so flippant reply - to each their own. I think Rogue One has a very compelling story and characters, and The Mandalorian is, in my opinion, very far from mediocre. In fact, I'd say it's some of the best Star Wars ever made.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Agreed. I personally find Rogue One and the Mandalorian to be the best Star Wars yet. Chapter II of the Mandalorian, alone, is some of the best sci-fi fantasy ever put to screen. This has, of course, nothing to do with low bar setting. In fact, I set the bar far too high for all sci-fi/ fantasy, as I consider it an undervalued genre that has enormous untapped potential.

CosmoHender likes this.
  12. CosmoHender

CosmoHender Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2016
    Agreed as well. The reason people love Rogue One and The Mandalorian has nothing to do with a low bar setting. Both are some of my favorite Star Wars stories not just in recent memory, but of all time. I find the story of Rogue One to be incredibly meaningful and even beautiful, especially in the context of the larger franchise. It is not "empty" in any way.

13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The word for Rogue One that comes most often to mind is “sublime.”

Darth Chiznuk and CosmoHender like this.
  14. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    Rogue One is a tricky one to rate in terms of better or worse than my other favorite Star Wars movies because I actually have like 3-4 specific issues with it, but they're all continuity issues with the previously existing story. In the self-contained experience of just watching the movie though, thus elements function anywhere from fine to great, so it's easy to understand why they were included. On the other hand, there is absolutely no doubt that Rogue One brings me the most joy out of any Star Wars content ever. Not only does it have the highest highs, but just the consistency from start to finish is unparalleled. I think I genuinely love at least one moment in every single scene.

CosmoHender and Bor Mullet like this.
  15. Darthvader1975

Darthvader1975 Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2020
    Rogue One for me has gotten better over time. When I saw it first I thought the first 20 or so minutes was boring but over time Ive grown to really like it. So many highlights but I always revisit the scene when Krennic visits Vader. Its so great to hear JEJ voice again. Vader oozes power and this is before the final scenes.

16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The first 20 minutes are now my favorite.

17. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It deserved an lol. Rogue One is brilliant both as a Star Wars film and just as a film in its own right. The story of sacrifice in the face of overwhelming odds is both inspiring and gut wrenching. Rogue One is a masterpiece.

18. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Would be my least favorite except for the fact that TFA exists. The biggest positive I take away from the film is that the star destroyers look amazing.

19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Wrong answer.

20. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    The only answer.

21. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Other answers.

EHT and Bor Mullet like this.
  22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yes. I like other answers that are better.

EHT likes this.
  23. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    Brilliant film!

This and a few of The Mandalorian episodes are the only additions since the OT that FEEL like Star Wars to me. It's hard to put into words why...

24. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I kind of agree with this.
    Rogue One and some of the Mando episodes feel like the OT in ways neither the prequels nor sequels do. But the prequels, sequels, Solo, and the rest of the Mando episodes have other takes on SW that I like in different ways. My favorite Mando episode (The Jedi) feels nothing like the OT to me, but it's pure Star Wars brilliance; possibly my favorite piece of SW since Empire.

Bor Mullet and EHT like this.
  25. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    To me, R1 "feels" like I'm watching live action EU. So does Solo. And that's a good thing, btw.

Mando "feels" more like live action TCW/Rebels. Also a good thing.