main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Behind the Scenes of the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TCF-1138 , May 13, 2020.

1. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I don't remember Lucas ever stating such a thing. That line about the chosen one was just something people took completely out of context. Leia was the "chosen one" in that she was the one to lead to New Republic back to the Republic's former glory. That doesn't somehow make her the one who destroys the Sith and brings balance to the force.

It's like taking Lucas' comment to Spielberg that the Battledroids from TPM were the new stormtroopers to mean that they were literally stormtroopers. Sometimes he just explains things in a certain way which people take way too literally. Just like they did when he spoke about the sale to Disney and his feelings about what happened afterwards. He was speaking figuratively, and somehow everyone tried to take it literally to make a big story out of it.

Samnz and Lulu Mars like this.
  2. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    GL does not change who the Chosen One is - its very clearly Anakin.
    TCW goes in depth with the prophecy, something that Filoni has continued in Rebels. Anakin returning for Ahsoka hints to me Filoni is continuing that story.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  3. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    I mean, that’s apparently what GL intended as per his archivest. GL didnt shrink from retcons.

4. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    It was discussed pretty heavily back when the Star Wars Archives for the PT was released last year, but for those that need the source on Lucas making Leia the Chosen One:

[​IMG]

whostheBossk likes this.
  5. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    I too ignored what he was doing with TCW for a long time and just looked at his post-ROTJ words.

But what he sanctioned on screen means more.

6. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Except that what he would have done with the ST would have been done post-TCW. It’s not either-or, and the TCW canon doesn’t disprove that George would have changed direction personally later on.

And while ofc TCW remains canon and Legends doesn’t, and the latter farther removed from him, George OKing something he wasn’t personally making doesn’t mean *that* much. He ok’d Luke marrying Mara Jade but that didn’t mean he approved of her.

7. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    We know Filoni has a stronger idea of what GL wanted than anyone else. He has countless hours talking and working with GL - which still continues. GL wouldn't be hanging out as much as he does on Mandalorian set without giving input and general approval.

Until GL gives any indication that his former padawan is disappointing him (and GL has no problem making his feelings known) then I see no reason to doubt the influence in his story.

TCW to Rebels proved that. Many dislike the Mortis Arc but it's one of the biggest Force related concepts by GL and Filoni has continued it.

Everyone of course has their own ideas of how the story should go but the person in charge of the SW stories are going to have the clearest picture of what GL envisioned than just about anyone else in the world.

You mention Mara Jade - I talked to Timothy Zahn. He made it clear he trusts Filono with his characters as GL would have intended. I've shared my proof with mods so I can say that.

Filoni has the keys and he and Favreau are telling story arcs that GL embraces (at the very least far, far more than the ST).

LFL now posts this with pride

[​IMG]

Lulu Mars likes this.
  8. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Is there more to explain what else Leia is doing? Because that still sounds like a story where Anakin ended the main Sith Order’s dominance, Luke refounds the Jedi, and Leia’s still more in the background than either her father or bother are, and then someone years later putting a more Leia-centric spin on the narrative.

Because I wouldn’t be shocked if this was a similar “control the narrative” maneuver akin to how we can pretty clearly tell Lucas’s female main hero was a Solo, but the same book was mum about that character’s origins.

Def Trooper, BlackRanger and 2Cleva like this.
  9. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    You mean was a Skywalker by blood, either Luke or Leia’s child.

10. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Where's that from? Anyway, that kind of story would've made a good bit of sense.

11. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    From The Star Wars Archives: Episodes I-III 1999-2005. See also: [QUOTES] George Lucas for more.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  12. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Yeah, this has been a subject of some debate since the book came out, as can be seen in this tweet thread. I think a good point is made that in the context of the interview, this is a reference to Leia being the main actor in bringing galactic society back into balance, not the Force.

The phrase “chosen one” has a general meaning and it has the meaning given to it in the prequels. The prequels focus on their specific prophecy, which only Anakin fulfilled. But in the general sense, Leia is the “chosen one” of the sequel trilogy. The capitalization is the author’s own, not Lucas’s. And like others have said, he’s well known to speak in a less-than-literal sense.

Having said that, I’ve never really cared for the prophecy, or for prophecies as a story element in general. So I would’ve loved for the sequels to recognize Anakin’s heroism but not necessarily double down on using prophecy as a limit for what can or can’t happen. I mean, we never even really knew what the imbalance was to begin with.

13. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Only the keys he is given.

14. Darthvader1975

Darthvader1975 Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2020
    Theres no doubt GL knows or at least has an idea of whats planned going forward for the SW Universe. He knows the impact that both Filoni and favreau have had on his universe and trusts them as much as he can trust anyone. Hes been on the Mandalorian set no doubt giving his opinion on it.

Def Trooper, Lulu Mars and 2Cleva like this.
  15. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Knowing what George wanted and wanting what George wanted is not the same. Just because two creatives collaborated for a long time and knew each other well does not make their visions, approaches, etc the same. Filoni is not George. He has also, to my knowledge, never claimed that he is carrying out George's specific vision, or that the major creative decisions he makes have been pre-approved by George.

Essentially, it sounds like you believe that Filoni is acting as George's creative agent. Aside from extremely vague PR-speak, I've seen no claim to that effect.

Why on earth would George be such an a-hole as to publicly express unhappiness with his friend? George is fine expressing disappointment with a huge corporation; I can't see him throwing his friend under the bus over a franchise he no longer has any real involvement in. George's failure to be a nasty drama king =/= he delights in every decision Filoni makes. You seem to be making far-reaching assumptions over nothing.

Proved what? That Filoni was merely working from a detailed outline George left him? I'm not sure what your claim is. You often conflate "influence" with "exactly what George wanted Filoni to do" so it's hard for me to respond without accidently straw-manning.

I'm not saying George had no influence over Filoni. But George has influenced *thousands* of creatives. "Influence" is an exceptionally general concept.

I...don't think we knew enough about George's personal relationships to say that. I also don't think we have an actual clear and unbiased insight into Filoni's vision vs George's. Again - "friends, collaborators, mentorship" =/= "Filoni is a mini-George and we know everything he does is George's will."

The fact that George wanted Ahsoka to die and Filoni kept her alive anyway is....a pretty gigantic signal that Filoni and George have meaningful creative differences.

I believe you.

I also don't think anything Zahn may have told you was relevant to this discussion, based on what you've reported.

I don't think "George doesn't dislike this thing as much as the ST" is much of an endorsement. I'm sure he also thinks apple pie is superior to the ST. Millions of things are.

That...is pursuant to crediting rules and contractual agreements. Nothing to do with "pride."

Also, "based on Star Wars and characters created by George Lucas" could = DLF canon or it could = a SW fanfic I wrote 20 years ago.

Def Trooper likes this.
  16. A Corpse of Disapproval

A Corpse of Disapproval Severed Head Admin star 3 Staff Member Manager

Sep 16, 2015
    There are many, many recorded instances of creators being credited on screen with "Based on characters and story created by..." who have said that the films made choices which had absolutely nothing to do with their conception of the characters or the story.

17. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    @JoJoPenelli - I'm not going to get in a back and forth of the possibilities of what something can or cannot mean and all the many scenarios and what if.

I stated my observations.

18. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Interesting quotes by PH. I still find most of what I read about GL's ideas for the ST way more interesting than the crap we ended up with. It looks like Lucas ST would have been quite Solo-centric. The son falling to the dark side, the daughter as the lead character, Han and Leia potentially surviving the trilogy... All this while the poor Luke died after being cast away on a distant planet.

Well, at least he would have had his moment of glory in the first two movies, I have no doubts about that.

19. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I find myself thinking of Lucas’s ST ideas as being moderately hamstrung by how much of himself he saw in Luke; while he almost certainly would have handled him infinitely better than LFL wound up doing, I think he was always going to put some limits on Luke because of how his own life had worked out.

I still think the main reason why Lucas seemed to express more actual believe in the idea of the no attachments rule, and why he always viewed Luke getting married in Legends as being something that didn’t count was because, while he has actually put together a good family life in his later years, he’s still hurt by the collapse of his first marriage.

I see that in the contradictory nature of the no attachment rule, which feels like it initially emerged entirely as an excuse for a “forbidden love” story between Anakin and Padme and was naturally disproven by ROTJ… but that he gradually viewed in a more orthodox way due to his own love life experiences. And I think that flooded into his plans for the ST, where he would get a chance to use Luke as a metaphor for his own view of his time as LFL’s architect and overlord; a man who sacrificed one type fo happiness for another.

But that also begs the question: once Lucas sold the company, how did we go from Solo girl main lead against a Solo boy villain to only Kylo Ren from the family?

Clearly, Lucas didn’t see the family as a limit on the franchise, or an elitist element. And clearly, as much as LFL may have rhetorically tries to argue that with some parts of TLJ, their abject favoritism of Kylo shows it was something they didn’t believe in. And TFA seems to end by both cutting off any chance of Rey as a Solo, but with Rey as a Skywalker very much on the table as an option and even almost a narrative necessity.

I don’t think Rey and TFA ends up the way they do if Abrams and Kasdan didn’t either a) mean for Rey to be the more intuitively created daughter of Luke, or b) mean for Luke to be a strong red herring for Rey’s father. They wouldn’t doom the entire family with Kylo unless they either had a plan… or meant for Rey to be an escape route.

20. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    I will never understand why some think Rey Skywalker was a narrative necessity, maybe you’d prefer she was Luke’s daughter, but TFA makes that difficult to explain. I see TFA as establishing what The Last Jedi said, Rey’s parents abandoned her on Jakku because they didn’t want to raise her.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
  21. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I see it as being three things, all fo which could be ignored if the story had string enough writing to counteract their issues in other ways, but all of which were just so much more easily by the simple answer of her being a Skywalker.

1) For Rey herself, is that there are not many reasons to conceal her parentage and past in a manner encouraging speculation without a substantial answer, of which, of course, the most substantial would be Skywalker. Rey both has a more mysterious background than neccessary, a general outline that resembles the Skywalkers pretty blatantly, and thus is best served by it just being another encore of the familiar theme.

That’s actually arguably the least meaningful one, though. Rey after TFA has a personality, an arc, and potential… but the other two factors are the bigger ones, and are why her having a personality, an arc and potential didn’t manner to most TLJ fans, and why the ST wound up dying a miserably wretched death.

2) Most fans want a Skywalker main character for a sequel to ROTJ, whether they want to admit it or not. It’s a family story that went 6 films before the ST, with both previous main protagonists being Skywalkers (and father and son to boot). I’d argue only about a third of the series fans were actually both disinterested in a continuation of the family story and unbiased enough to actually make a sequel story without a Skywalker protagonist work. Now, if the family story didn’t really continue, then you could sidestep this issue… but it is continuing the family story…

3) …And not only is Kylo a crappy way to continue the family story by himself, but many of those same people who want a Skywalker lead character regardless will twist the entire story and the characters to make him the main character, screwing over the rest of the characters. The only reason people care about Ben is because he’s a Skywalker- and many have no problem removing Rey’s characterization, demoting Finn, and making the ST exactly the kind of lame remake they claim they don’t want… just focused on Kylo instead.

The last one is the real issue; if the creators were wary of that, than TLJ doesn’t suck, Rey doesn’t get screwed up with a parasite version fo Kylo as her co-Star, Finn doesn’t get demoted, and a happy ending for the Skywalkers is still available.

22. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    I don’t disagree that it would be better if Rey Skywalker was the character. But in The Force Awakens as released, I always thought there was more reason to assume her parents were something like “filthy junk traders who sold her off for drinking money” than her being secretly the daughter of Luke left on Jakku by some convoluted sequence of events. As for the mystery bait about who her parents were, it’s clear that JJ Abrams didn’t decide the answer and left it intentionally open, thinking a subsequent filmmaker could make it any hokey reveal they wanted, including Rey Kenobi or Palpatine. If he wanted her to be Luke’s daughter he should have written her story with that in mind and gave that to Rian Johnson.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    whostheBossk likes this.
  23. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    He knew who she was.

It would have been impossible to determine what was going on with the OT3 or Kylo otherwise.

But obviously once they decided on the “no plan” narrative (which, one might have noticed, was not always the party line) they weren’t going to say so explicitly.

2Cleva likes this.
  24. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    And the reason why I think he likely did write her with being Luke’s daughter in his mind, at least at the plotting stage, is because I don’t think he would poison the well with Ben Solo so much or placed her ins a position where she’d almost need that kind fo reveal to realize her full potential…

…which, to be clear, is not the same in this case as him deciding she definitively was Luke's daughter in his finished product; I think that he very well could have meant it to be wide open, but not altered his earlier plot where she was a Solo or Skywalker.

Abrams and Kasdan, if nothing else, have always been competent with characterization and placing those characters in a context made for the audience to properly enjoy them. And:

- It’s pretty much all but confirmed at this point that the Rey character was originally a Solo daughter.
    - The film still writes Rey very much as a Skywalker descendent in terms fo repeated tropes, personality types, and in how other powerful Force users react to her.
    - The film wants the audience to loathe Kylo Ren, even as it wants him pitied; in no way is he designed to be a worthy heir for the Skywalkers or the position of protagonist.
    - The film puts a seemingly knowing look on Luke’s face when they meet, and states she’s been dreaming of going to his island for years and that he is “ahead” of her.
    - And, to put it bluntly, the safest, most profitable, and most audience pleasing answer for who Rey’s parents are is Luke. I think that’s something that formula should be considered as Abrams’s guiding goal in his Star Wars films… and likely reflected in his apparent distaste for TROS because he knew he couldn’t really achieve it.

I know he wanted it ambiguous in the final film… but let’s face it, he edits stuff enough in post-production that he could have removed all mystery and emphasizes on her being especially powerful and fated if he wanted to. And he is always going to be the guy to only hint at mysteries that have at least substantial answers; he values that more than surprise when forced to answer them (Khan in STID, anyone?)

I’m much more inclined to think that either he or LFL decided while beginning shooting that Rey should have an ambiguous parentage; if it was him, it was because he loved the marketing potential of a mystery box, while if it was LFL, it might reflect them already beginning the process of turning towards Kylo instead.

And since I consider Johnson to be honest when stating he had freedom to chose her parentage as anyone, I consider it obvious that Abrams wrote the character and film with a particular heritage in his mind’s eye as the most likely answer… one that Johnson couldn’t care less about.

25. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Not a Solo daughter, no.

Carry on ;)