main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What do you think of TLJ 6 years later?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RedeemBenSolo, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Funnily enough the first thing I remembered when watching the trailer was:

'oh man...this movie ain't gonna have a traditional lightsaber duel is it...?'

the other thing I thought was 'we're keeping with the trend with lacklustre planets I see'

2. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    I remember SO MUCH hate for "it's time for the Jedi to end" in that trailer.

Jumanji (directed by Jake Kasdan) and Greatest Showman, which came out of nowhere.

Darth_Foo and 2Cleva like this.
  3. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The trailer didn’t set me off or give me any red flags, and neither did the marketing (as much as I should have seen Finn’s more hidden role as a red flag by itself.)

But that’s because I was presuming that all the dark and depressing moments being shown would have the storyteller actually, you know, tell the story to get there, and I presumed that Rian Johnson’s skill level (I’d already seen Brick) and the precedent set by TFA and Rogue One would mean that a competent tale would be expected - and I felt that if you could competently tell a story that, eventually, sees Kylo reaching out to Rey, Luke despondently talking about the Jedi ending, Snoke gloating, and Finn facing off with Phasma dressed as a First Order officer… well it was going to be at least a decent movie.

(I’ll also be honest and say that, at the time, I was familiar enough with deceptive editing that I thought Rey’s “I need to find my place in all this” line was spoken to Luke instead of Kylo - because that just seemed more sensible.)

The mistake I made was assuming that LFL was prioritizing a competent understating of the characters and connections that existed before the film was made - that understanding Rey and Kylo’s relationship from TFA would require the story to dive deep on both to uncover a reason for him to reach out to her, that Luke being so despondent would require a worthwhile story that would still not interfere with him being Rey’s “Yoda,” that Snoke loathing would require a genuinely clever or crushing strategy from him, and that if Finn was ducking it out with Phasma, it was because he was continuing to progress as the male lead.

Basically, I expected a film about Rey, Finn, Luke, and Kylo - and that was a mistake, because it was really a film about An Artist Formerly Known As Luke, Ben “Affluenza Is My God!” Solo, Surprise! Bet You Didn’t See That Coming!, Some Weird Stand In For Poe, and then Daisy Ridley and John Biyega playing either plot tools or token characters.

4. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Considering what was actually happening on the board, I can only imagine the mod discussions behind the scenes during that time.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  5. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Dp

6. Whistling Birb

Whistling Birb Jedi Knight

Dec 8, 2020
    Yes that scene was a surreal moment in theaters... I remember hearing the scattered laughter. I reflexively looked over to my friend and he did the same, and I felt that shared theater experience as many people in the room probably shared the thought, "what the **** are we watching".

My straw that broke the camel's back moment was Finn's "let's go chrome dome". Relatively innocuous but after a movie of nonsense needling away at me, that did it.

PendragonM and 2Cleva like this.
  7. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    The biggest red flags for me leading up to the release were RJ's interviews. In particular: "We can all relate to Kylo" and "Rey and Kylo are almost two halves of our protagonist" To see the way Kylo treated Rey and Finn and come away with the takeaway that Kylo was the relatable character (can you think of a better example of white male privilege?)? To follow the first Star Wars movie with a clear female protagonist and then decide she was really only half and the angsty male needed to be promoted to her equal? Red flags everywhere. I still had hope though, but then the movie came out and it was worse than I could have imagined in regards to these issues.

8. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    You always hold out hope that the Director is either being purposely misleading or just voicing their thought process poorly. But nope, RJ threw everyone under the bus on purpose to try and make Kylo look better.

9. paradigmes

paradigmes Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 9, 2021
    There was no straw for the camel back for me, just a sense of boredom and the thought that the film lack any kind of forward momentum. I left thinking how has this move the story on to be resolve in the final chapter? It felt like a spin-off, detach from the main plot. It was episode 7.5 and JJ then had to resolve with a compressed 7 and 8 in The Rise of Skywalkers.

This is also true, I actually fall asleep during one cinema visit to this film. I was very tired already, and I nap for about twenty minutes during the screening.

Nom von Anor likes this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I relate to Kylo in the same way I relate to a toaster. A toaster is an appliance that makes toast by burning it with metal coils, and I am not made of metal coils and can't naturally burn toast with the heat of my body.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  11. A Corpse of Disapproval

A Corpse of Disapproval Severed Head Admin star 3 Staff Member Manager

Sep 16, 2015
    ...and proceeds to write a scene where the girl who had been abducted and tortured by him packs herself into a box and parcels herself to him.

This is why FBI watchlists exist.

12. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I sometimes wonder what particular trait carried all the water behind Johnson’s personal identification with Johnson so much it overwhelmed basic observation of the story.

Was it Driver’s reputation as an actor? Driver fitting the right “demographic”? The chance offered by the character to redo PT Anakin? The hair?

…It's the hair, isn’t it?

13. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    [face_laugh]

‘Kennedy loved Driver” also plays a part. I still think the most interesting story to be told is how they decided to green light this mess.

14. miDnIghtEr20C

miDnIghtEr20C Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 21, 1999
    Some cool things here and there, but I still don't care for it much. For me there has always been something off about it. Oh well.

CampOfSorgan and Nom von Anor like this.
  15. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    I don't know, but it's ridiculous. Like, in regards to Luke and the convo people here were having the other day; They didn't want Luke to overshadow any of the new characters, but to Johnson, it wasn't enough that Luke had fallen from grace and thus missed out on the entire first film. No, he had to go the extra mile and pin Kylo's fall on Luke.

And on a side note, I was thinking yesterday on how TLJ takes the most deflating turns away from TFA's setups, again using Luke as an example: Sure, he didn't look happy at the end of TFA, and I doubt most people expected him to just immediately jump into action at the start of Ep. 8.

But there was enough in TFA to suggest that Luke didn't just straight-up quit and do nothing for six years. How did Leia end up with R2? Why did Luke go to the very first Jedi temple? Why was everyone so sure Luke was alive and would be found?

An optimistic writer that understands Luke's love for his family would make at least one aspect of the TFA journey a deliberate bread crumb from Luke, because even if he felt he was the problem, even if he felt Leia wouldn't want to see him after failing her son, even if he was grieving the loss of his students, he'd never fully abandon his family.

Maybe he left with a backup plan, maybe he searched for answers, but after so many years went by, he found nothing and convinced himself he was unneeded. Fine, but have Rey latch onto that spark of optimism he had even in his darkest hour that led him to leave a door open for Leia, have Rey pull that hopeful Luke out of the jaded hermit he's become.

No, Johnson has them be bitter and annoying to one another for their entire screen time. Just, why?? Why not lace even a sliver of hope or romanticism through the story?

16. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Kennedy pushing for Driver is definitely *a* factor, but it wasn’t the deciding factor in the character’s portrayal or how Driver’s talents were used; the totally different treatments and requirements of the role across all three films shows that. And while I don’t doubt she was likely a very important factor in demanding that TROS have Ben Solo emerge as the eleventh hour hero, even *that* still required something out of Driver’s actual skill set.

Johnson’s the only singular factor behind the lack of energy or drive to have Driver do anything, or for Kylo’s story to have to go anywhere, within TLJ; while the character is coddled, spoiled, and allowed to curdle elsewhere, TLJ remains very nearly the only thing where you could conceivably replace Driver with a cardboard cut out, and arguably have the same if not better impact on the story (since while people talking to cardboard is still stupid, at least him successfully bullying Rey into likening him would be gone.)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    ChildOfWinds and PendragonM like this.
  17. Darthvader1975

Darthvader1975 Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2020

Leia surviving the way she did was a major issue for me, force or no force. I mentioned it elsewhere and people said shes a jedi or former jedi why wouldnt she survive? It was just wrong. Had they known poor Carrie wasnt going to live they may well have had her die at that point. Who knows? They would never have known that of course.

Of course she couldve escaped the bridge before the blast and struggled on that way before succumbing to her injuries but they decided to have her be wonder woman and float back in space to the ship after being blasted through.

18. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    No, no. We all know it was Kylo’s swoleness that Rian was drawn too.

And no, I will not post the bouncing Kylo gif. And everyone else, please resist the temptation. It is the easy, more seductive way.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  19. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    By far the best of the Sequel Trilogy and up there in the top 5 of my favorite in the entire saga

20. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    I think the movie could've worked more if they'd done some clever re-editing and reshoots, to alter parts of the movie, and that Leia thing is among them. Here are the ideas God, if He wills, has blessed me with for that:

Have Luke reject Rey at first, and then, after finding out Han is dead, showing the grieving Han scene, have him agree to help.

Make Luke and Leia's scene a shared dream state when he reaches out to her through the force.

Later change Holdo doing the maneuver, and use some creative editing to make it Leia doing it. Show her hand reaching out, her eyes closing, buttons being pressed by her using the force to calculate the exact trajectory and using the force to flip off the shields on the first order ships. Use similar reaction shots of Hux, only now it has the context that their shields are being taken down, and in doing this, Leia puts the ship into hyper drive and, having calculated the exact trajectory using the force, brings the ship out of hyperdrive right before the first order ship, hitting it. There may still be complaints about it, but I think they'd be, mostly, more muted and less focused on with this being Leia's big cool sendoff.

As well, keep the scene where Finn talks to the stormtroopers.

Take out Luke dying and the broom boy scene. Add a scene of Luke on Ach-To, asserting himself and lifting the ship out of the water and end the movie there.

Obviously I think more reshoots would be necessary for things like some Rey stuff, but I think this movie could've been more crowd pleasing with these changes, to me.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    ChildOfWinds likes this.
  21. Darthvader1975

Darthvader1975 Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2020
    Some cool ideas there. Especially the ending scene or maybe have Palpatine awaken on exegol to tie in with episode 9.

22. paradigmes

paradigmes Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 9, 2021
    This would have change the whole tone of the film, for the better in my opinion. Luke initial reluctance and grief now make him realise he has a job to do and reason to join the war against the First Order. If the film had end with him lift his plane from the sea and ready to fly to the rebels, then that would have been an exciting cliffhanger prospect for 9.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  23. A Corpse of Disapproval

A Corpse of Disapproval Severed Head Admin star 3 Staff Member Manager

Sep 16, 2015
    That sounds like Star Wars but what we *need* is Luke dying alone with peace and purpose.

24. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    Absolutely NONE OF THIS subverted my expectations.

0/10 :D

2Cleva, mtt02263 and DarkGingerJedi like this.
  25. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I think the reason TLJ would never have ended that way is because it would go against the artistic principles of the film - albeit in a good, resonant way with excellent long term benefit, which would have arguably proven the film's artistic principles were flawed.

TLJ wants Luke to win a moral victory and a metaphorical one, and it wants that to be the main highlight of the film. Thus a more substantial ending for the character and the film is out of the question because that substance would overwhelm and overshadow the insubstantial ones the film worships.

It's a school of art film thought that dislikes more genuine victories as "trite" while ignoring how sometimes its own preference for symbolic ones can be just as "trite" because of its pretensions.