main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Happy Thanksgiving & some Turkey day tips....

Discussion in 'Community' started by QUIGONMIKE, Nov 25, 2021.

1. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Hope everyone that celebrates Thanksgiving has a nice day today. Anyone have any interesting menu/other tips or things like that? Couple here:
    1. We bought a Turkey from a local small farm that treats them right. Worth a few more bucks and no drugs or steroids.
    2. I shove applewood smoked bacon under the skin before baking to add a lot of nice flavor.
    3. Use drained turkey fat/juice for some extra punch for your gravy.
    4. Try not get sick watching the Detroit Lions on TV today....WHY hasnt he NFL cycled the teams yet? :)
    5. We are cheating and using Bob Evans mached Potatoes this year but they are pretty good.
    6. Stuffing is always a personal thing but some breakfast sausage mixed in makes it taste great, IMO.
    7. Drink beer if possible - users choice but I like a Stout or a Bock beer afterwards myself.
    8. Be mindful of your eldest family members and their health. We are all vaccinated and Old Momma has had her booster. Just 6 of us today so a smaller crowd.
    Have fun! For those that are vegan, I hope you too enjoy your meals.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  2. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    We don't do Thanksgiving (obvs), but for our Christmas turkey we use Nigella's brine recipe. It results in amazingly tender and juicy meat with fantastic flavour and much reduced roasting time. Of course, using a locally sourced free range turkey is a must. We usually collect the turkey on the 23rd, so it gets two days of brining in a large plastic storage box in the garage. :)

3. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Great looking recipe for that brine! Yes, local sourced, NO gimmicks Turkeys and meat for us. I dont buy any meat any longer except from local sourcing. Tyson, Cargill, etc, are OUT! No chemicals or drugs. Plus the animals are free range too. ;)

4. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Happy Thanksgiving QGM !

I am going to make lasagne right now.

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  6. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I like to butterfly the bird and then smoke it. So tasty.

QUIGONMIKE likes this.
  7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  8. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    small brain: liberals cancelled Thanksgiving to stop COVID

big brain: liberals cancelled Thanksgiving because it was racist

galaxy brain: liberals cancelled Thanksgiving because they finally and decisively lost the centuries long Battle of Thanksgiving Table Political Discourse

9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I especially like tip 7. ;)

Happy Thanksgiving Mike!

Lordban likes this.
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    My dog just ate an entire stick of butter. So that’s how my thanksgiving is going

12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  13. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Sounds like you dog is off to a great start!!!

mnjedi and Jedi Knight Fett like this.
  14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    [​IMG]

Coruscant and jcgoble3 like this.
  15. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
  16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    This year it's a 'double Thanksgiving' - today and Sunday. I've been lucky to have a lot of family here, or nearby, so I'll be at my aunt and uncle's today and my parents on Sunday.

It'll be a little bittersweet this year. My grandmother - my mom and aunt's mother, and last remaining grandparent - just passed away last week, at age 94, and the funeral will be on Saturday. But that's probably even more of a reason for the family to get together.

We've also been blessed in that, traditionally, my Thanksgivings are drama-free. My SO's sister and sister's husband flipped out months ago because they're anti-vaxxers and we won't see them... but that's solved because we won't see them. Her parents, who unfortunately live right next to them, are coming over Sunday. Also, my stepsister is coming on Sunday. I technically have a stepbrother, who I've seen probably twice since my mother started seeing my stepdad, who also lives locally. He invited my parents to Thanksgiving a couple of years ago, and they got to sit in the kitchen, while his wife walked around in a "TRUMP 2020 - **** YOUR FEELINGS" shirt, and tersely informed my stepdad when he inquired about dessert that no one gets dessert until he's ready for dessert. They aren't ever going back. And he won't ever come over to my parents for anything, let alone Thanksgiving. So another family drama averted!

Instead, I'll bring over some fun games, and play them with my cousins and stepsister and my SO, enjoy some good food and company, watch some of the MST3K Turkey Day marathon and reminisce about our grandmother, who hosted Thanksgiving for the majority of my life.

Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving.

(PS: For those who find the traditional story of the 'origin of Thanksgiving' obnoxious, do what I do - attribute it to what the president who officially declared it a national holiday did. That would be Lincoln, in response to to the Battle of Gettysburg. To the defeat of the Confederacy!)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    Emperor Ferus and mnjedi like this.
  17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    [​IMG]

Coruscant and jcgoble3 like this.
  18. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I bought the ten player version of Clue yesterday and today I plan on inflicting it on the rest of my family.

19. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Lasagna! Excellent choice and I love off script meals like this for holidays. Enjoy!

Yep, had smoked turkey at a friends place. Damned fine way to do turkey.

Yeah, juts no need for any of that. We can enjoy thanksgiving for what it is regarding time with friends and family and can also realize the bad experiences of the past without having to cancel anything. No politics today….just good food and beer. :)

Right back at ya. The key is to NOT overeat as to leave room for beer. Such a battle, LOL.

So, happiest dog ever? He’d make Homer Simpson proud…..remember the deep fried sticks of butter episode? :D.

20. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I'll probably bring over some Munchkin, although I would really like to do some Fortune and Glory. That might take a while. Also, my SO prefers to not do the games that have the long setup time. [face_laugh]

Lordban and mnjedi like this.
  21. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Man, you're like over a month late with this thread

22. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    No Thanksgiving celebrations chez nous autres Français, but I did follow tip 7 today ;)

23. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm also going to follow #7 after I go offline - only my beer will be gin & tonic. Did have some turkey earlier though.

24. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    So does anyone have a larger turkey than I do? Selected a 22lb turkey from the local Shoprite supermarket as part of their free promotion after buying $400 worth of groceries over the past month.

25. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That's a big bird - probably wouldn't even fit in my oven.

Jedi Ben likes this.