main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Which climatic scene do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by SateleNovelist11, Aug 30, 2021.

?

Which scene do you prefer?

1. Battle of Yavin in ANH

15.7%
  2. Luke vs. Vader in TESB

31.4%
  3. Luke, Vader, and Palpatine in ROTJ

52.9%
  1. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    The throne room scene in ROTJ for me. I really hate the added "nooo" with Vader in the newer versions but even with that it's still great - without it I think it's perfection.

2. CampOfSorgan

CampOfSorgan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2020
    Luke vs Vader in TESB

3. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    It's ROTJ. Although it's quite old fashioned concept of trying to turn someone to the dark side by showing him his friends dying in a battle, it provides a satisfying climax to the saga (six part saga), and Anakin's return and killing Palpatine and himself in the process is pure gold.

TESB and it's Luke vs. Vader is great, but not that big as this from ROTJ.

ANH space battle is very well done, but it's contrivance of the DS orbiting Yavin for half an hour is just too obvious.

CampOfSorgan and Sarge like this.
  4. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015

This. The delivery of the lines, the lighting, the tension. Everything about it to me is utterly perfect, and sets up the climax to the greatest film ever made.

Send shivers down my spine. Every. Time.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    It's a tough choice. For me, ESB is clearly the weakest, it's not close to the others. I don't think it's good by Lucas' standards. I actually like the last shot in ESB way more than the climax.

It's hard to choose between ANH and ROTJ. The Battle of Yavin is just so tense and thrilling, but the Battle of Endor is nearly as good, it's every bit as tense and nerve wracking, and it has Luke vs Vader and the Emperor to go on top of it. So I have to go with ROTJ, but only if you count the space/ground battle as well, which one should.

CampOfSorgan, Guidman and Sarge like this.
  6. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    The one with the orb.

[​IMG]

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ^ Is that the Lost Orb of Phantastacoria?

BlackRanger likes this.
  8. Darkside Floyd

Darkside Floyd Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2008
    TESB for the sheer raw emotion of it all.

Luke, trying to save his friends, facing his inner fears and doubts by confronting the supreme evil of Vader, putting forth a valiant effort (Impressive, most impressive) and then the absolute shock of base betrayal as the truth is revealed.

Weave in the scenes of attempting to rescue Han/fleeing Cloud City and ending with Luke & Leia both unsure of what comes next and it's a fantastic brilliant climax/cliffhanger.

9. Jedi Bluth

Jedi Bluth SOS & 7X Hangman Winner star 6

Sep 4, 2021
    Luke, Vader, and Palpatine in ROTJ

10. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I gotta admit that TESB does look beautiful, somber, and raw. One of my favorite films of all time.

As for this...this is good stuff. Epicness.

TOASTEROVEN and BlueYogurt like this.
  11. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    End of ESB, the shocking twist, which at the time would have destroyed the internet.

12. Bee Bee

Bee Bee Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2015
    The entire movie of ESB built up so perfectly to the climax of the movie so that by the time Luke was staring down Vader in that dark, ominous chamber, I was on the edge of my seat. There's the gut-wrenching scene where Leia stares off at the ship taking Han away and of course the final plot-twist that stands as one of the most iconic twists in film history. The set design, music, choreography, and script are all executed perfectly.

13. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Yeah, it probably would have obliterated the internet. I think Lucas had the right idea about making people wait three years before he confirmed that it was authentic. His original notion of portraying Luke's father as a separate individual than Vader would have been less interesting. I'm glad he changed his mind.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
  14. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Even with all the tweaks and the knowledge that Anakin throws Palpatine all the way to Exegol. The emotional weight of the Father & Son duel on the Death Star II will never not shake me to my core.

Sarge likes this.
  15. HanSolo98

HanSolo98 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 9, 2022
    ROTJ -- the emotional weight is incredible. You see defeat and victory all within 5 minutes. You see failure and redemption that you don't get in ESB or ANH. ESB and ANH are more standard "boss battles" so to speak. So, ROTJ's emotional themes cross the finish line first.

Sarge likes this.
  16. The Quintessential Jedi

The Quintessential Jedi Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 13, 2022
    ROTJ with Anakin redeemed because that was what made the final fight matter most otherwise ESB is superior.

TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  17. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    ROTJ because the confrontation on the Death Star II is the climax of the CT and George's 6 episodes. It's done pretty much pitch-perfect.
    If you were including all of the Battle of Endor and all of the Cloud City stuff, I might pick Cloud City. It's more focused with just a brilliant saber duel and Leia and company. ROTJ has three things going on at once and two of them are pretty large scale and less intimate.

Lulu Mars and Sarge like this.
  18. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    The final confrontation on the second Death Star is the culmination of the Skywalker/Jedi drama and perfectly sums up what it’s all about as Luke and Anakin both find their inner Jedi and commit themselves fully to selflessness. That’s why I picked that one.
    …but in terms of purely cinematic, nail-biting excitement, the Battle of Yavin beats the other two with ease.

Samnz, CampOfSorgan and Sarge like this.
  19. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Oh @SateleNovelist11 you made this one almost impossible!!

All three are amazing I think. If I had to pick just one, though, it would be the ROTJ one. It's simply so powerful, and so beautifully set up, too... and the message, about winning such a confrontation without resorting to aggression or violence, makes it very different to many other movies in that regard. To this day, I get emotional when I see it.

Lulu Mars, Sarge and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  20. macrobinoculars

macrobinoculars Jedi Padawan

Dec 15, 2021
    Not to be "The guy who only posts about one thing", but...

Until the final edit of ROTJ, the Throne Room stuff was all resolved simultaneous to the Bunker being destroyed. Vader kills the Emperor, the Bunker explodes, and then the Rebels head for the Death Star. Even in the final film, they don't enter the superstructure until after the Emperor is dead, which calls into question just what is the climactic moment of the film.

Sarge likes this.
  21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    @macrobinoculars , to me, the "let's toss the Emperor" game is the climax of the whole saga. Lando & Wedge vs DS2 is a thrilling denouement.

Darth__Lobot, Lulu Mars and HanSolo98 like this.
  22. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    I'm with you guys. ESB is my favorite Star Wars movie overall but between those scenes the Battle of Yavin had the most edge of your seat tension. The other scenes are great too but it was the Battle of Yavin that shot Star Wars into legendary popularity.

TOASTEROVEN, Guidman and Sarge like this.
  23. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    I have a really hard time choosing between ROTJ and TESB. The ROTJ scene is basically the climax of the entire saga, but the Luke/Vader confrontation at the end of TESB is IMO one of best scenes in any movie ever (the cinematography, sound, lighting.... just everything is absolutely perfect - even the pacing).

This scene here is arguably the best scene in any Star Wars film and one of the most iconic scenes in film history. One thing I really, really appreciate is how they are willing to let the scene breathe... and let the tension build. Notice the long pause before Luke ignites his saber. That's something that so few movies do anymore.

Bor Mullet and Sarge like this.
  24. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Rey going OP on the emperor and for that matter "All the Sith".

25. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    Palpatine lost to a game of "Stop hitting yourself".

Sarge likes this.