main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. CosmoHender

CosmoHender Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2016
    I own the novelizations for the original Indiana Jones trilogy and the original 1933 King Kong. I really enjoy both.

In the past I've also enjoyed the novelizations for both Suicide Squad and Kong: Skull Island.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  2. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    James Bond, the Spy Who Love Me comes to mind.

It’s a weird case. Because it’s a novelisation of the film “The Spy Who Loved Me”, which owes its name to the Ian Fleming novel, but otherwise uses almost nothing from that book. So they hired the screenwriter to turn his script into a novel, and the end result is a book that strangely captures the writing style of Ian Fleming Bond novels, whilst being unique and telling the story of the Roger Moore film.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    Gamiel and ColeFardreamer like this.
  3. CosmoHender

Dec 2, 2016
    There is actually something really interesting about both the novelization of the 1933 King Kong and Kong: Skull Island. In the 1933 film, the ship that goes to Skull Island is called the Venture. In the novelization the ship is called the Wanderer.

And guess what showed up in Kong: Skull Island?

[​IMG]

The novelization for Kong: Skull Island even mentions that a film crew vanished near Skull Island in the 1930s, while the director of the movie said the following...

"The boat that they go to on the shrine on the island is called the Wanderer, which is the name of the Venture, the ship in the '33 film, in the novelization. I have my own fan fiction about that film crew going to the island and a lot of those events taking place. That's why I included a Triceratops skull on the island. To say dinosaurs were here and maybe not that long ago."

I want this Kong: Skull Island prequel SO bad...

Dawud786, Sarge, Gamiel and 1 other person like this.
  4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

there are some weird copyright things with the novel and the movie. The name of the boat is one of them

5. CosmoHender

Dec 2, 2016
    I am well aware. The novelization is in the public domain, which is why it gets reprinted so much. I actually read the novelization before I watched the movie as a kid and I was so disappointed when Kong didn't actually fight a Triceratops...

6. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Now here's a book that fascinating if King Kong is your thing

7. CosmoHender

Dec 2, 2016
    I've known about that book for years, but have never really been interested in checking it out. Especially since I already have my King Kong reading essentials...

[​IMG]

The Positive Fan and Gamiel like this.
  8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Oh but it's really interesting from everything i've heard.

It's the closet thing to a King Kong Expanded Universe novel and from everything i've heard it's fascinating.

Also nice.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2021
  9. CosmoHender

Dec 2, 2016
    I am actually seriously lucky to have a copy of The World of Kong: A Natural History of Skull Island, considering the prices that copies of it are going for now. It may be the most expensive book that I own.

Gamiel likes this.
  10. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    If there's one podcast I'd love to listen to, it's one about obscure tie-in novels and expanded universes.

cthugha likes this.
  11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well here's a podcast review of Kong King of Skull Island

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2021
    VexedAtVohai likes this.
  12. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    You're not going to believe me, but I swear I'm not joking... Howard the Duck. The novelization of that movie by Ellis Weiner is downright hilarious. Or at least it was to twelve-year-old me. I have fond memories of embarrassing my father with uncontrollable bouts of laughter as I was reading it on a Greyhound bus trip.

The E.T. novelization is excellent. I read it several times "back in the day" along with its sequel, The Book of the Green Planet, and the storybook, whose text was basically just material excerpted from the novel if I remember correctly.

The Star Trek II, III, and IV novelizations by Vonda McIntyre were great, as was the novelization of Close Encounters of the Third Kind, by "Steven Spielberg" (actually Leslie Waller, I believe).

EDIT: The novelizations of Jaws 2 and Jaws: The Revenge by Hank Searls are... not the greatest, but you'll certainly find worse out there. They are based on early drafts of the screenplays and differ in sometimes dramatic ways from the final films, which makes for interesting alternate-universe versions of those stories.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    cthugha, Iron_lord and ColeFardreamer like this.
  13. CosmoHender

Dec 2, 2016
    Isn't the novelization of Jaws: The Revenge the one with the voodoo shark?

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Because I'm Gamiel: something I have noticed is that it feels like USA pop culture treat taking off your shoes when entering a home as some unusual/exotic. Am I wrong here? Asking because where I'm from do you usually taking off your shoes

VexedAtVohai likes this.
  15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Usually there’s an expectation that if you’re an invited guest showing up for like a party or whatever you will be leaving your shoes on and the owners have invited you in the full knowledge that you’ll be doing so (and have therefore accepted the need to, like, vacuum). There can be exceptions - if it’s snowing a lot it’s not uncommon to leave your boots at the door, for example.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    Sarge and Gamiel like this.
  16. CosmoHender

Dec 2, 2016
    Has anyone ever seen any Star Wars cash-ins? I've seen four: Starcrash (1978), Battle Beyond the Stars (1980), Starchaser: The Legend of Orin (1985), and of course The Man Who Saves the World (1982), aka Turkish Star Wars.

17. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Indeed! And it's exactly as silly as it sounds, though it's still an arguably better concept than the whole "the shark is psychic and has a vendetta" thing implied in the film version.
    I've watched "Turkish Star Wars" a bunch of times. Absolutely one of the most surreal things I've ever seen. Do yourself a favor and don't watch it if you have a fever, because it will give you some weird dreams. Also saw The Ice Pirates (1984) back in the day but don't remember too much about it.

18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

So you know what's interesting completely left field topic

On the surface I get why some people will believe that theory that Bane has been just essence transferring his body from Sith to Sith all the way to Palpatine

But like if you really think about it, if we just take Legends for a second, Bane and Palpatine have very different personalities and unless Bane's personality is changing ala the Doctor regenerating each time he essence transfers then it wouldn't make much sense that it's just been the same Sith for 1000 of years. You change the body not the personality.

19. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I've seen Starcrash, which was certainly... a trip. Barely even heard of the third one, and I always thought Battle Beyond the Stars was more of a Magnificent Seven Samurai in space sorta deal. (Which of course is hardly exclusive with being a Star Wars cash-in. Cough.)

20. CosmoHender

Dec 2, 2016
    That's what I actually really like about Battle Beyond the Stars. Despite being a Star Wars cash in, the film also gets its influence from Akira Kurosawa just like George Lucas. A New Hope is The Hidden Fortress while Battle Beyond the Stars is Seven Samurai. The film even predates The Clone Wars and The Mandalorian doing its own versions of Seven Samurai.

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Starcrash and Ice Pirates for me, and I'm not certain the later count as a cash-in since it's more of a spoff

22. CosmoHender

Dec 2, 2016
    Starcrash for me is a fun "so bad it's good" movie. Like Battle Beyond the Stars, it's not just a Star Wars cash-in. Director Luigi Cozzi was a huge fan of Ray Harryhausen (like myself) and he wanted the film to be a "Sinbad Goes to Space" kind of movie (ironically Ray Harryhausen did spend some time developing a project called Sinbad Goes to Mars which was sadly never meant to be). You can definitely see the Ray Harryhausen influence in the film, particularly with homages to the sword-wielding skeletons and Talos from Jason and the Argonauts. So while Starcrash is in no ways a great film, I feel like it has its own child-like charm.

Vthuil and Gamiel like this.
  23. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    The Game Awards is in a week.

Can't wait.

24. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I find ranking Star Wars movies a very hollow experience for my favorite doesn't equate to my best.

Especially since "Objective Quality" does't necessary mean i'm going to enjoy it.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  25. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    If nothing else, I've always unironically appreciated the existence of a starship named Murray Leinster.