main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story From When We Came- Narnia Romance, LOTR & SW refs

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Nehru_Amidala, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    From Whence We Came

A Chronicles of Narnia Romance Story

Implied Crossover with Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and The Space Trilogy

Written by: FossilQueen1984

Dedicated to @devilinthedetails for encouraging this story and for also being a fellow C.S. Lewis aficionado.

A note on this story: This is my first Narnia story and the idea for this came about when I was watching “Becoming Jane” while reading some Star Wars new stories that popped up on my Iphone, and so the seeds for this story were planted, so to speak. That said, the main pairing of this story is Mr. Tumnus and Jaina Antilles, daughter of Wedge Antilles and very much taken from the Legends! Star Wars novels where she is known as Jaina Solo. I also have a Lumnus story in the works that will be posted later this month. Like this story, Lucy will be portrayed by Anne Hathaway (circa 2009) to save everyone grief and a possible ick factor. Please enjoy.

Dramatis Personae:

Jaina Luthien (aka Jane) Antilles, daughter of Wedge Antilles: Anne Hathaway

Wedge Antilles, former Rebel pilot turned farm equipment repairman: Viggo Mortensen

Luke Skywalker, former love of Wedge Antilles: Mark Hamill

Dr. Elwin Ransom, linguistics professor and Jaina’s mentor: Sir Anthony Hopkins

Alan Turing, code-breaker for MI-6 and Antilles family friend: Benedict Cumberbatch

Tessie, aka TC-77, a disguised protocol droid.: Vanessa Marshall

Faun Tumnus, a resident of Narnia: James McAvoy

Lucy Pevensey, a London girl 8 years of age: Georgie Henley

Edmund Pevensey, Lucy’s spiteful older brother, 11 years old: Skander Keyes

Susan Pevensey, Lucy’s older, practical sister, 13 years old: Anna Popplewell

Peter Pevensey, Lucy eldest brother, 15 years old: William Moseley

The Beavers, a married pair of beavers, surrogate parent figures to Jaina: Peter Capaldi and Catherine Tate

Athena, a blonde female centaur and schoolteacher, Jaina’s best friend in Narnia (next to Lucy)- Gwendolyn Christie

Oreius, a noble centaur, leader of the Narnian army and Athena’s mate: Diego Luna

Jadis, the White Wich, false ruler of Narnia: Tilda Swinton

Arthur, Cerridwen (Carrie), Nathanial, and Elizabeth (Liz), Tumnus and Jaina’s hobbit children, later citizens of Archenland: Reader’s choice

Pairings: Tumnus/Jaina (main), past Luke/Wedge

Chapter soundtrack: Invitation- Secret Garden, Mandolin Concerto in C Major, RV 425- Antonio Vivaldi, Ice Dance- Danny Elfman

Chapter 1: Psychic Dreams Involving a Lamp Post

It was April, the later part of spring when the flowers show off the most colour and everything green springs from the dark soil in delighted joy as the sun shines warmer after the depressing, gray winter. Wessex, the southern part of Britain had seen it is share of German raids, but they had been few and far between. Even with regiments stationed in the larger towns such as Winchester, the Luftwaffe felt such low-level targets were not worth mentioning in their intelligence reports sent back to Berlin.

Even so, the local lords and elected officials were not taking chances and happily paid anybody with access to a crop-dusting plane to do routine fly overs in a particular assigned local district and radio in with anything deemed suspicious. This was a double edged sword, because many a downed German pilot would politely request tea and cigarettes from a frightened housewife, due to the fact the English truly were the most deplorable milksops in this matter.*

The top pilot in the area considered part of Winchester was the kind, but aloof. Wedge Antilles. A pilot who fought in the Great War and a man of the most punctilious honour, lived in large house about a quarter hour outside. He was a private man and made an honest living repairing farm equipment for the local farmers. Aside from the house, there was a large barn at the back end of the property, facing an ancient, overgrown forest. This was where he did all his repairs.

Locals found this quite odd, indeed. Mister Antilles employed no servants, just a cleaning service that came by three times a week. He lived with his daughter, Jania and his secretary, Tessie. Wedge was tall, with hair the color of fresh mulch interspersed with strands of light silver. His piercing blue eyes watched everything carefully, as a hunting hound watches its prey. He was a man of few words, and a deep faith. At the local chapel, he would lead the lay readings should the vicar fall ill. Wedge carried himself with great dignity and poise, and any gaggle of middle-aged war widows would fawn over him during After Church Fellowship. None of them caught his eye, and even if they did, he tolerated their company. He happened to prefer the company of men, and from the way British society (and the Anglican church) condemned homosexuality, he had to tread a fine line. Not only for his sake, but for his daughter, Jaina as well.

To explain how exactly Wedge Antilles, his small daughter, and their protocol droid left from the obscure planet known as Ach-to all the way to Earth without any sort of detection, not to mention government interference would be far too long and convoluted to put into writing. However, a run down of the basic facts will be just as helpful if we are at all able to understand our Miss Antilles.

Jaina was conceived via surrogate to Wedge Antilles and the great love of his life, Jedi Master Luke Skywalker, and was born with a connection to the Force. It was weak, but it was noticeable. As the girl grew, she demonstrated a talent for having prophetic dreams, something that worried her two fathers. The Skywalker family was by now treading a fine line, Jaina’s cousin Ben, was stronger in the Force, and there was an odd shadow over the young lad. After talking it over, Wedge would take the girl as far away as possible.

It took nearly a month to reach Earth, and with the help of a fellow space-traveler by the name of Elwin Ransom, Wedge was able to set himself up as a respectable war veteran (and widower) and provide for himself and Jaina. Years passed, and as Jaina’s dreams began to unfold with unerring accuracy, Wedge began to fear for her life. He began having her learn piloting, proficiency with Aurubesh, and never looking back. When she asked why they were doing this, she was eight years old at the time, he would simply tell her The Men were after them. When pressed further, he would furrow his brows and say nothing more on the matter.

In this way, fifteen years passed, and by April 1941, Jaina Antilles had grown into a confident young woman taking classes at the University of Winchester, when she was not helping her father with repairs, hiking and studying the woods behind the house, or using a crop-duster on piloting runs twice a week. Aside from her prophetic dreams and good piloting skills, Jaina was an odd fish compared to her peers. She took her studies seriously and not looking for a husband amongst her classmates. She wore her feelings on her sleeve and would leave in a huff without explanation if she felt angry or upset. She questioned her professors constantly about the nature of God, and disliked bigotry in any form- even if the deans and staff allowed this. Considering her father’s sexuality (and her approval of it), she was in constant threat of expulsion due to “insubordination”. At times, she could be proud and stubborn. She was also the only girl majoring in mechanical drafting, and at the top of the program. Exacerbating everything was the fact everyone got her name wrong and called her “Jane” instead of Jaina. Ugh!

This particular morning started off as they usually would, a 5:00 piloting run over Winchester proper before coming home for breakfast with Dad, and then a bicycle ride down to campus for her 9:45 and 11:30 classes before her bi-weekly meeting with her mentor, Dr. Ransom. Shaking the sleep from her wavy chocolate hair, she walked into the tile bathroom and turned on the shower faucet. Water rationing was in full enforcement, so her shower was quick and just on the cool side of lukewarm. After giving herself a through cleansing, she threw on an old flannel bathing robe and brushed her teeth. Looking back at her from the mirror was the reflection of a tallish, slender girl with small, but high cheekbones and rose petal lips. God I’m pale, she thought as she spat into the sink. Pale as she was, Jane was considered a proper English rose, even if she hardly acted ladylike. Grinning, she ambled back into the bedroom and pulled on a grey turtleneck jumper over a practical linen pleated skirt. According to the wireless, temperatures were only going to be in the mid 20’s, so a lighter pair of sweater tights would be useful. Buckling them to the bottoms of her underwear and ensuring her tights did not have any snags, she threw on a pair of Wellingtons and made her way down the back staircase, said good morning to Tess, who was prepping eggs and coffee, and made her way for the shed.

The shed was where Dad kept the crop-duster fueled and ready to go. As a repairman, he was able to get around fuel rationing, so long as he kept records of where each gallon went. Picking the key hanging on the door, Jane pried it open and shimmied into the seat before settling the helmet on her head. Turning on the ignition, the propeller sputtered before the wheels rolled and in less than a minute, she had taken off!

Oh, what a glorious morning! The green of the trees was intertwined with flowers and birds were already battling over prime nesting territory. Every now and then, herd of deer would dash across creeks and roads, much to the consternation of bus drivers and carpool drivers. The sun was a small, crimson disc slowly rising over the horizon. A slight breeze from the northwest made her sneeze and she had to wipe her nose on her sleeve, as she did not have a handkerchief with her at the moment.

Speaking of handkerchiefs, Jane was reminded of the dream she had had last night. In fact, it was the same dream she had been having six months and that meant it was a vision, and it was coming to pass very soon. How soon she could not say, but she was seeing Dr. Ransom today, so she would speak to him about it. This vision, out of all the ones she had ever had up to this point, had pulled at her heart and made her happy, excited and frighten at the same time. The clock on the plane read 6:32. Time to call it a morning!

Landing the aeroplane and taxiing back into the shed, she closed the door and walked back to the house. From the windows in the breakfast nook, she could see her father eating oatmeal, speaking and gesticulating in an animated manner. She could not see who her father was talking to, so she opened the back door and heard peals of laughter. Grinning, she walked from the back hall towards the eating area. Peeking around the corner, she announced, “No Germans over Winchester airspace this morning.” She kissed her father before turning to their guest, “And a good morning to you as well, Mr Turing.” The other brunette male smiled kindly at her, and kissed her cheeks.

Alan turned to the young girl, “No Germans you say? You must have frightened them.” He was teasing her gently, as he knew she was quite fond of fairy tales and mythology. He motioned for her to sit. Tucking in, they all discussed the latest news about the ongoing war effort and Alan’s new project, the Enigma code. At the mention of this, Wedge and Jaina were concerned. Wasn’t he afraid of being outed as a homosexual? The only other person he trusted with this information was Dr. Ransom, besides the Antilles family.

Alan shrugged his shoulders as he sipped his black coffee. “I am quite discrete with my affairs. Now, as for you, your father and I heard you yelling in your sleep last night.” He gave her a knowing look, they all had their secrets and it was always a dangerous game when Society seemed to be against you for some reason or another.

Jaina blushed, “I had another vision. The one about the faun and the lamp post.” Her face was as red as the sunrise as she stirred fresh strawberries into her oatmeal. For as long as Alan and Wedge had been seeing each other (not exclusively), the men were aware of Jane’s premonitions and their frightening propensity for coming true. They were so common Jaina had no social life to speak of, outside church and study groups down on campus. Wedge inquired if she was feeling all right, and she replied she felt fine.

Grabbing her satchel, she waved goodbye and was out the side door in an instant. Wedge shook his head, “I’m afraid for her this time. It’s been six months to the day and you know what that means.”

“I do indeed. Jaina’s off to Faerie for God knows how long,” Alan responded. Whatever happened, he knew Jaina could handle it. She was strong, like her father. Gesturing towards the back door, Wedge invited Alan to assist him fixing some imported John Deere tractors from America, in exchange for information about the Enigma machine.

Pedaling down the main road towards campus, Jaina tried to concentrate on the cars passing her, but that vision would not just leave her alone. Shaking her head, she forced herself to forget everything until she was in the classroom. Of course, even then her mind would wander and she walked smack into the building, leaving her with a red mark on the bridge of her nose. Walking towards room A-113, she caught sight of a typed document taped to the door. It read, “DRF 321 Canceled due to Illness.” Well, she could possibly meet with Dr. Ransom early as she did not have classes that day. (Her professor for DRF 231 also taught her later class, and that was canceled). Better check to see if he was in.

Language classes were held in one of the older buildings on the other side of the campus. Walking under the grand oaks and elms, many fellow students turned aside and poked fun at the red mark on her nose. A few of the meaner girls sneered and called her “space cadet” and “guttersnipe”. Rolling her eyes at their stale insults, Jane (she was called Jane on campus and was expected to answer to that) walked into the building and up two flights of stairs towards the language department. The secretary was on the phone and waved her in, making a sign pointing towards the familiar office.

The lights were on, and Jane knocked softly. A sharp, but kind voice responded, “I know that’s you, Miss Antilles. Please remember to shut the door behind you.” Jaina obeyed and sat down on a worn leather chair stained with water and tea. Dr. Elwin Ransom was a mysterious man, nobody knew what he did during the Great War, but he had a great faith in God and what he felt was right and just in the world. He was of course the mentor every queer student sought out for advice. Elwin was of average height with a ring of thin, white hair around his head, and eyes that saw right through you. For a man supposedly in his mid-fifties, he seemed infinitely older.

Glancing at her nose, he inquired, “I suppose you had another vision again. Your father phoned me this morning; positively anxious The Men were finally on to you. From your relaxed state, I can assume your safe.” He handed her some weak tea and bade her to speak.

Closing her brown eyes and letting out a deep breath, Jaina collected her thoughts before speaking, “I am safe, but the vision I’ve been having… it’s supposed to happen today at some point. Do you know of any portals to Faerie or anything of the like near campus?”

“In all my travels and adventures, I have not found one here. Then again, Winchester has not much in the way of anything of use for dragon slayers or pixies, at least in these dark, modern times. Why do you ask, and stop calling me Dr. Ransom. You have known me since you were four years old. Call me Elwin, as your father does.”

“All right, Elwin, I keep having these odd dreams about a lamp post. There’s nothing odd about a lamp post, except this one is in the middle of a snowy forest! Adding to that, there is a faun with the most beautiful blue eyes I have ever seen, and he wears a red woolen muffler and his hair is curly and brown-oh how wonderful he is. He keeps reaching out for my hand, and there seems to be a sense of urgency. I reached out to take his hand this morning… and I fell out of bed.”

“Hm, this is truly fascinating. During these visions, how do you feel?”

“ How do I feel? You would have to ask that now, wouldn’t you?”

“Don’t be dismissive of your feelings, Jaina. What the heart tells you is what your soul is trying to figure out along with your brain. You merely need to slow down and analyze the situation.”

After a few moments of thought, Jaina had her answer, “Well, I feel confused at first, and then I feel surprised, elated, frightened, excited and loved all at the same time.” Ransom nodded, “It seems to me you are needed for a grand quest of some kind, and your faun will be in need of your help. Furthermore, what you are feeling is ‘love’, romantic love. In my opinion, this faun of yours is beseeching you specifically. In my travels, I have found these kinds of connections are called ‘finding your soulmate’, if you believe in that sort of thing. I could be wrong, but the choice is up to you.”

Jaina took Elwin’s words into consideration as she helped herself to another cuppa. Of course she would help the faun in any way she could, but there were still doubts in the back of her mind. How was she going to get to Faerie, how long would she be away from Dad? What about The Men? Was it a trap?

Mind racing, Jaina forced herself to recall the vision, down to every last detail. The tension was still there, but there was also hope, kindness, charity, true friendship and something else that made her heart and soul sing. She had to go, that was her destiny!

Smiling, she thanked Elwin and headed for the library where she completed some homework and delivered it to her professor’s office, so there would be less to do when she got home. Some clouds had moved in, and the local repair crews were lying fresh tar on the main road that led home, so Jaina had to take the back way. Wheeling her bike into the garage outside the house, she caught sight of a milk-white stag munching on the hydrangeas under the window seat in the side gallery.

She was struck by the beauty of the creature, this was not an albino dear, this was something else altogether. Leaving the bike, she strode cautiously forward and began waving her hands, she shouted, “Hey! Outta there! Go on, shoo!” She waved her arms, attempting to look threatening. Inching closer, the stag continued to graze unconcerned until she was within touching its tail. Quick as a comet, it dashed and pranced elegantly through the yard. Jaina laughed as she gave chase, what a merry animal. Animal Control would not believe this yarn for three hundred years, as far as she reckoned.

Eventually, the chase ended right at the barn where Dad kept all of the farm vehicles he worked on. The stag bounded around as Jaina pushed the giant door open. “Okay, come on. You’ve had your…fun?” Puzzled, Jaina walked around, her saddle shoes creaking and squeaking the unoiled floor beams. She was certain the stag had come this way, where could it be?

It was here a starling flew down towards her head, sending her over a hook on the floor. Evidently, it closed a trap door leading to the storage areas below. Kneeling, Jaina was confused about what had startled the bird when she felt a large, cold, wet nose on her upper back. Spinning around, Jaina turned around and very gently reached out to touch its muzzle… when the lock gave way and down she fell!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!

2. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I'm so flattered that you dedicated this to me[face_blush]

Great job with this story.

"It was April, the later part of spring when the flowers show off the most colour and everything green springs from the dark soil in delighted joy as the sun shines warmer after the depressing, gray winter. Wessex, the southern part of Britain had seen it is share of German raids, but they had been few and far between. Even with regiments stationed in the larger towns such as Winchester, the Luftwaffe felt such low-level targets were not worth mentioning in their intelligence reports sent back to Berlin."

What a wonderful way to establish the setting of the story in terms of location, season, and historical era. I love all the details you included here!

"Exacerbating everything was the fact everyone got her name wrong and called her “Jane” instead of Jaina. Ugh!"

This line made me laugh[face_laugh] I know that feeling of people struggling to get my name right, so I can totally relate.

"Oh, what a glorious morning! The green of the trees was intertwined with flowers and birds were already battling over prime nesting territory."

Nice poetic description!

And what an ending to the chapter too!

Welcome to the community of Narnia fanfic writers!=D=

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  3. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    From Whence We Came

Pairings: Tumnus/Jaina (main), past Luke/Wedge

Chapter soundtrack: Winter- Antonio Vivaldi

Chapter 2: A Rough Arrival

It was embarrassing enough to fall through a trap door you already knew about, it is another thing to land in a large pile of hay that had been there for since summer and had no idea it was there. Jane was thankful the hay had broken her fall, but it was dim in the basement and hay was obscuring the stone and mortar walls where the doors and windows should have been. Then again, any opening would invite vermin and the hay would spoil. It was also entirely possible that Dad was holding onto the hay from farmers who were short on cash but were using hay as a possible way of offloading the cost of tractor repairs and maintenance.

Getting her bearings straight, she was about to grope around the walls for a loose stone to pry free, when her hands felt something buried in the hay. Turning her attention to what she was feeling, Jaina was incredibly surprised to see an odd firearm buried in the haystack. This was no ordinary pistol, this was a sporting blaster from Dad’s days as an X-Wing pilot flying against the Imperial Empire. Checking to see if it worked, Jaina was delighted to see it was still full of plasma cartridges and was turned off. She had learned what settings were for ‘stun’ and ‘kill’.

Attaching it to her belt, Jaina resumed her quest for looking for a way out of here. Considering Wedge Antilles was a practical sort of man in all things, it bothered her that he would leave a door covered, especially since he was worried about The Men finding them. It was just about now she felt a draft of cool air coming from the far wall closest to the back of the property! AHA!

Grateful to her father for leaving an exit open, she crossed the cement floor and found what she was looking for. One of the stones in the wall had fallen out, leaving a hole wide enough for her to crawl through. Examining the hole, Jaina discovered the walls where the stone had fallen from were smooth and cold. Made sense, it was only April after all. Making sure her Wellingtons were buckled securely, she climbed on all fours through the hole and out.

Jaina was expecting to see more flowers and grass since she was on ground level, not snow! “How odd, maybe a joke some kind,” she mused thoughtfully. No sooner was she through, than she realized she was not in England anymore!

For starters, there were more pine trees covered with fresh snow than she had ever seen. Also, the barn had disappeared, and now there was only an old stone wall covered in stubborn ivy and lacy frost. A bitter wind gust shoved Jaina away from the wall and into a thicket. Her wellies sand into the snow with a loud crunch, crunch, crunch. Jaina had to admit, wherever she was, it was beautiful.

Wondering if she could suss out where she was from a geographical standpoint, Jaina climbed the nearest oak tree she could find. By the time she scaled the top, her hands were like ice cubes and she pulled them inside her sleeves to dry off. Immediately to the north on the horizon were a series of desolate range of jagged peaks reaching into the impossibly blue sky. Smack in the center was a gigantic waterfall and a magnificent river that wound its way towards the ocean. Nearly slipping on some icy branches, Jaina jumped down and began walking away from the mountain range.

“If I put a lamp post in Faerie, it would be on lower ground. Too bad I don’t have a sledge, getting down this hill in nothing but wellies is going to be a tough go,” Jaina surmised thoughtfully as she trekked down what she thought was a trail. The bare branches were as high as a cathedral’s ceiling and would have made for a terrific photograph. It was too bad she did not have a camera.

About three quarters of a mile in, Jaina was beginning to feel chilled, and regretted not bringing a horse blanket with her for warmth. It was here she found something useful, a halved log about six feet long and 3 feet wide. “Hey, a sledge,” she cheered. Finding a good vector for getting downhill, Jaina kicked off the worst of the snow and sat on the driest part. Moving her legs back, she launched herself downhill at a fair clip.

The wind whipped her hair back behind her, and Jaina let out a gleeful cry like that of a hawk in pursuit of its dinner. The half log was a first-rate sledge, and eventually coasted to a stop not far from a natural footpath. Another gust of wind blew snow around Jaina so she could not see very well for a moment, but she was certain she saw something glowing in the distance. Making a mental of the glow’s general direction, Jaina walked that way.

The way she chose meant meandering around brambles and thorns, but she managed it without any runs or tears in her stockings (that would have been unfortunate). Finally, she reached her destination. Sitting at a crossroads was the lamp post, still shining. Marveling at its simple beauty, she allowed her hands to caress the cold, black steel. Here she was at the lamp post, now where was her faun?

As it so happened, her faun was not even ten feet away, and very aware she was there as well. Faun Tumnus had been having odd dreams involving a young maiden with a strange firearm who would come help him fight alongside Aslan and defeat the White Witch. His dreams also involved him kissing her. So, there she was and Aslan’s mane- was she lovely! He was gathering up the courage to speak to her, as it had been years since the last bacchanal and any time spent with a free female. Was this the girl he was destined to wed? Certainly seemed like it, at least that’s what Mr and Mrs Beaver had told him when the dreams began six months ago.

“Hello? Is anyone here,” Jaina called out, her gentle voice ringing like a bell in the crisp, winter air. Hearing her voice, Tumnus let out a longing sigh, she was lovely and gentle. He hoped she had spirit. Bucking up the courage, he responded, “I’ll be right there, Miss.” His heart was thumping in his chest, it was now or never.

Stepping out into the early afternoon sunlight, Jaina felt herself blush brilliantly as the faun produced himself and stepped forward. He was a bit shorter than she was, maybe five foot six and slim. He had a fair complexion same as herself and had curly reddish-brown hair and a goatee, accentuated by a red woolen muffler . His eyes were a light blue, and Jaina curtseyed.

Smiling gently, the faun took her hands in his and kissed them, “I do not believe we have been properly introduced yet. I am Tumnus, and may I have the pleasure of learning your name yet.” Jaina smiled gently and introduced herself as Jane Antilles, from the city of Winchester.

“Winch Ester, you say. Odd name for a city as old as you say it is. Then again, I did not enjoy learning about geography in school when I was a little faun. I do say, Miss Jaina, you look chilled. Would you like to come back with me for some soup and tea,” Tumnus implored her. Nodding in hearty agreement, Jaina slipped her arm in his and both of their hearts skipped beats at the physical contact. It was here Jaina forgot her blaster, and Tumnus to please wait.

She darted off into one of the bushes, retrieved her blaster, and was about to rejoin Tumnus when what should appear out of the trees but a large, grey skinned troll. His black fur clothes were covered in dust, mold and God only knew what else. He smelled strongly of alcohol as he swayed precariously from side to side as he thumped and jumped down the path. The pounding steps sent faun and young woman up and down a couple of inches. Sniffing the air, the ogre opened his humungous mouth. Oh Force Almighty, what a horrid stench arose from his mouth. Turning around a little too quickly to seem natural, he eyed Tumnus and clouted the poor faun on the back.

“There you are, Tummus. I’da thought you was out earlier, but I en’t sees ya in a fortnight.”

“Oh…uhm… good afternoon, Ramakin. I’ve been getting over an ear infection, and you know how horrid they are for us faun, large ears and all, I’m afraid.”

Jaina was angered by how Ramakin was throwing his weight around, and how Tumnus was trying to diplomatically avoid a bad situation, when something dawned on her. Was it possible that ogre Ramakin was part of the secret police and Tumnus was a member of the Resistance? Something in her gut was telling her this was the case, and in any way, she could protect him.

Firing a shot from her blaster startled the nearby birds, who took the air squawking and chattering in the dozens, and a large pile of wet snow hit the ogre right on the head. Tumnus grinned and managed to move closer to Jaina, preparing to protect her. Although, it was apparent she could handle herself.

Unfortunately, the ogre moved quicky towards Jaina and picked her up by her arm, letting the blaster fall onto the ground. Ogling her curves, Ramakin slurred, “En’t you a pretty lil thing?” Jaina started yelling and kicking at the ogre and had some success. She finally kicked one of his rotten teeth out, and because the cavity was already abscessed beyond belief, it took out part of the lower jawbone as well!

“You’ll pay for that, nasty guttersnipe,” Ramakin howled in anguish as he hurtled Jaina across the pathway and she landed with a sickening thud, but not before Tumnus had retrieved that blaster and shot the ogre in the back. The faun had thankfully set kept the stun setting on, and securing it with his packages, he darted back to Jaina, who was lying limply in a shallow snowdrift.

Anxiety reaching a new level and his heart breaking because of it, he cradled Jaina gingerly and held her close. Stroking her face softly, he inquired if she was all right. Before passing out, Jaina stroked his face and whispered sweetly, “Your part of a resistance, aren’t you?” Everything went black as Tumnus carried her bridal style back to his cave, and awaited the arrival of his friends, Mr and Mrs Beaver. They would know what to do!

Some hours later, Jaina slowly made her way back towards consciousness. She could feel the heat of a nearby fire, and the soft warmth of a wool blanket laid over. Slowly opening her eyes, Jaina found herself inside a well-kept sitting room inside a cave. She could hear voices coming from far side of the room behind a wooden door. On the other side of the far wall, there was a staircase leading upstairs.

“Hopefully that poor thing’s awake, took quite a fall,” a cheerful, motherly voice chattered and Jaina sat up wondering who was talking. Maybe a dryad or some other creature from mythology. She was not expecting a she-beaver wearing a patched apron holding a tray with a hot cuppa and some warm chicken broth. The kindness and the fact Jaina was famished overrode her curiosity.

Seeing Jaina was awake and sitting up, she brought the girl the tray. “I must say, I’m glad your awake. How are you feeling my dear?” Sipping the tea before eating some soup, Jaina responded she was still sore, but feeling much better. It was now Mrs Beaver called over her shoulder, and she was soon joined by Tumnus and Mr Beaver.

Sitting up so Tumus could sit on the other end, he gently rubbed her hands and spoke softly so that the young couple were facing each other, “Your safe now, Jaina.” Jaina was blushing and was sort of hoping Tumnus would kiss her when Mr Beaver cut in, like a father would in this situation.

“So your name is Jaina, is it?”

“Yes, it is. Thank you all for saving me, but I have a few questions for you. Where am I, and why is it winter, and has anyone seen my blaster?”

Mr Beaver handled the blaster and examined it carefully, “What a strange firearm you have with you Jaina, do they make such weapons in Winch Ester?” Jaina could not help but laugh as the pronunciation of her hometown. She explained that Winchester made no such weapons, it did not have the technology. When pressed about what that meant, Jaina explained she and her father just happened to be humans from another planet.

“A human? You mean a Daughter of Eve?”

“Well, I am a practicing Christian, so I guess so, why?”

“There is an ancient prophecy that only Humans can fulfill. Do you have any brothers or sisters?”

“No, only me. Oh, this soup is delicious.”

Mrs Beaver beamed and told her to slow down, Jaina had been badly bruised. Jaina was told she was in the country of Narnia, and she would have heard more if she hadn’t fallen asleep. Mr Beaver chuckled, “Poor lass has had quite a day. Glad to see she’s on our side. Tumnus mate, you care for her, don’t you?” Blushing bright red, Tumnus admitted to it and they would to create a convincing cover story so Jaina would not arouse suspicion.

Bidding Tumnus good evening, the beavers left from home, Tumnus kissed Jaina gently on the forehead before turning in for the night himself. That night, both he and Jaina slept well. The next morning, Mrs Beaver came over to get Jaina’s measurements for some new clothes. As Mrs Beaver was jotting down measurements when Jaina asked, “Mrs Beaver, why is it snowing in April?” Shaking her head sadly, the older female responded gently, “It’s all because of the White Witch.” Jaina cocked her head in confusion, who was that?

Mrs Beaver replied, “Many years ago, the White Witch invaded Narnia and cast an eternal winter over all of Narnia, and there hasn’t been a Christmas since then.”

“No Christmas? How absolutely horrid! I’ll bet she’s as ugly as anything.”

“You would be wrong, Jaina. The White Witch is exceptionally beautiful, but she is cruel and cold. Many a Narnian who would rebel against her rule has been taken prisoner and she turns them into stone.”

Jaina frowned, “Is that why she fears human? Is there some prophecy?” Mrs Beaver shook her head and told Jaina she would be told at a later date. Waving goodbye, Jaina had quite a bit to think about.

4. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Nice job with this chapter. I loved seeing Tumnus, Mrs. Beaver, and Mr. Beaver. What dear, classical characters they are, and it was a treat to see your take on them.

I also appreciate how you have Tumnus mishearing and mispronouncing Winchester as Winch Ester just like he confused spare room with Spare Oom in the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Also great to see Jaina beginning to learn about the prophecy about Sons of Adam and Daughters of Eve as well as the winter curse the White Witch threw over Narnia.

I look forward to seeing where the story goes next!

greyjedi125 and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  5. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    You’re going to love the next chapter.

Kahara and devilinthedetails like this.
  6. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    From Whence We Came

Pairings: Tumnus/Jaina (main), Orieus/Athena

Chapter soundtrack: The Days Between- John Williams, Ice Dance- Danny Elfman

Chapter 3: Expecting the (Un)-Expected

It took a few days for Jaina’s bruises to heal up and when she was able to get out and run errands with Tumnus, when she realized she needed new clothes. Her clothes were fine on Earth, but they made her stand out like a cactus in Antarctica. She also dropped her Corellian name for the British equivalent, Jane. She had been told that ‘Jane’ was a common woman’s name in Archenland, the country directly south of them, and their staunchest ally. Archenland had sent aid and warriors in the earliest fighting days against the White Witch. She had put up a barrier all along the border that prevent Narnians from fleeing, and Archenlanders from trying to help. Obviously, a no-win situation.

Ergo, Jaina had turned to Mrs Beaver for advice and she agreed to have some new clothes for Jane. In turn, Jane decided to sew her own underwear pairs. Putting needle to thread, Jane was able to turn out some fine boy-short panties and a handful of bandeaus (brassieres were a tricky business and she wasn’t about to go picking twigs from tress whose dryads might have been SP members). Tumnus had been blushing every time he entered the upstairs den where Jaina had set up shop and excused himself downstairs. Dryads and Naiads did not wear undergarments of any kind and seeing Jaina sewing sets for herself got his thoughts going… among other things. He was a faun after all, and he was having faunish thoughts about the young woman staying with him.

Now that Jaina was feeling better and aware of the situation, she and Tumnus fell into a comfortable routine. The everyday sameness of domesticity carried over from England to Narnia, and daily life was sweet. Tumnus and Jaina were getting to know each other better. They spoke often and fondly of their fathers. There were also longing glances, hand holding, blushes, and other signs of a blossoming romance.

As much as Jaina enjoyed Tumnus’s company, she was lonely for female companionship. She would meet that someone one day while to pick up some stitching from Mrs Beaver. Because of the Secret Police prowling hither and yon, Jaina had to act as a courier for her and Tumnus when picking up package, even the mail. Today, the skies were steel gray and sharp winds from the west whistled mercilessly in minor keys and Jaina had pulled her puce cloak closer to her body to keep the chill out. Walking along the path leading home, she very nearly ran into a centaur. She nearly tripped on her hem, when a strong pair of arms helped Jane to her feet. Looking down at her was a kindly female centaur with long, blonde hair.

“Sorry for that! Are you all right?”

“Oh yes, I’m okay. I do not think I caught your name. I’m Jane.”

“Well, hello there. We centaurs have heard all about your bravery. I am Athena and pleased to make your acquaintance.” Athena offered a ride home, and Jane was a little hesitant. Wouldn’t that have been demeaning? Athena could not help but laugh, centaurs would happily give rides to friends in times of need.

By the time Jane returned home, she and Athena had made friends, and she and Tumnus had been invited to dinner next Thursday evening. Over dinner of chicken soup, Tumnus told Jane that Athena’s mate, Orieus, was the leader of the Narnian resistance, and the Secret Police were thankfully unaware of this.

A week and three days later, Tumnus and Jaina braved gusts of wind and falling sleet to make the journey to Orieus and Athena’s cabin. On a nice day with little wind and no snow, the trek would take no more than an hour. However, with the sleet and wind, the travel time was almost doubled. They had to take shelter against some ancient oaks, before they were able to reach the front door.

Their cabin was much larger and taller than Jaina had imagined, but then again, a married couple of centaurs were much taller and broader than a faun and his human girlfriend. They knocked on the weathered door, and it promptly opened. Orieus grinned, “Hello there.” Ushering them in quickly, he looked around outside before closing the door. Once they were all inside, he had them sit down by the large stone oven in the kitchen to warm up.

“It’s a thaw wind all right, glad to see the both of you could make it,” Orieus commented. Tumnus moved an arm around Jaina’s shoulders as she gazed into the fire, a dreamy gaze crossing her eyes. Bringing some tea, Athena chuckled at the faun and human. They were so head over heels, everyone could see it. Thanking her for the tea, Jaina helped set the table, while Orieus pulled Tumnus aside.

“It’s been a couple of months since Jane’s been in Narnia and you’re holding back. Why is Aslan’s name have not you asked her to marry you yet? She has proven herself to be brave and clever, and she’s sworn loyalty to Aslan. Good god man! Get her an engagement ring already. I know some dwarfs who are fine ring makers.”

Tumnus blushed, “I know Kili and his clan, they are family friends and are loyal to Aslan. I cannot ask her for her hand in marriage… I haven’t kissed her yet.”

Orieus smacked his forehead, seriously? Ugh, those two! There was really nothing more he could do at the moment, because Athena called to them to dinner, and what a meal it was. While not a feast, and although the food was plain roasted chicken with root vegetables and rice. Cold ale and tea were served as drinks, and it was a merry time. Well, merry as one could be under the White Witch’s tyrannical reign. Celebrations had to be somber affairs, much like a wake.

Athena was a schoolteacher for young Narnians, so much of the conversation was about lesson planning. Aside from history, Athena was focusing on science, literature and math. She turned to Jaina, “Jane, you’re from another galaxy. How is science taught over there? Come to think of it, you never mention your parents. Who are they?” Everyone turned their attention, and this made Jane turn beet red. She knew they were good people, but how would they perceive her after learning her father’s sexual preference for men? That she was not of woman born, but rather a mechanical surrogacy womb on a New Republic medical ship stationed outside of Hosnian Prime. Where to begin?

“Well, you already know that I come from the city of Winch Ester, but what you may not know is that my father and I are from another planet called Corellia… another galaxy in fact. My father was a pilot, as you know, but he didn’t fly airplanes. He flew starships against the war against the Imperial Empire, and that’s how he met my Uncle Han and Leia.”

“What about your mother? Was she a sharpshooter?

“My mother? I don’t have a mother…”

“Oh, so your adopted? Nothing wrong with that.”

“No! You don’t understand,” Jaina shouted, banging her hands on the table. Tumnus reached out to calm her down, but she shoved his hands away. She was starting to cry, they were going to judge her, just like everyone else did back in England. Why did she believe that Narnia was going to be different? God damn it all!

“My father is queer, all right? His sexual preference is for men, and I am a product of their union via a mechanical womb, does that answer everyone’s question,” she snarled. The room was stone silent, nobody knew what to say. Jaina’s outburst and the sudden confirmation of Wedge’s sexuality was quite a bit of information to take in.

Misreading the situation and taking it as outright rejection, Jaina grabbed her cloak, threw open the front door and ran away as fast as she could. She ignored the pleas to come back, and Tumnus stood at the threshold, heartbroken. What had happened?

Athena looked worried, “Does she normally flare up like that?” He shrugged, grabbed his muffler and ran after her. Athena could only stare and Orieus closed the door. He also told her that Tumnus and Jaina had to figure this one out on their own.

Jaina was feeling sorry for herself and had gotten lost, so she was sitting down on a pile of mossy stones and having a pity party, and this is where Tumnus found her. Relieved she was safe and annoyed at her childish and petty outburst. He sat down next to her and scolded, “What in Narnia possessed you to act like that?”

“Me? Me? You are the ones staring at me like I’m the product of an illicit union, which I am not! I have the right to exist like everyone else, and I don’t need people to throw me away just based off who my father likes sleeping with,” Jaina fumed angrily.

Flattening his ears, Tumnus grabbed Jaina by her shoulders and stared into her eyes, “Enough of the pity party, Jaina. You’re acting like a spoiled princess, and you know it. We were silent because we didn’t know you were from another galaxy- news like that isn’t something you can just take at face value; it takes a while to sink in- being no small thing. And another thing, who said we were judging you or your fathers? People do things differently on Corellia, we are in no position to judge what adults do on other planets.”

Jaina was loathe to admit it, but Tumnus was correct. She was acting like a child, but why was he out here. She turned around and asked, “Why are you out here?” Tumnus swallowed, it was now or never.

“Because I love you, you idiot!”

Pulling Jaina closer by her shoulders so she was flush against him, Tumnus pressed his lips against hers and gave her a romantic, passionate kiss. Jaina moaned softly and returned the kiss. The two lovers held each other in their arms and kissed for several minutes, until the broke apart for oxygen. Stroking Jaina’s stray hairs away from her face, Tumnus asked her if she would please come back. Jaina nodded, and happily laid her head on his shoulder and Tumnus moved an arm around her waist.

Back at their cabin, Athena spotted them walking back down the path and called back inside to her husband, “Jaina and Tumnus are coming back, and it looks like they finally kissed. It’s about bloody time those two admitted they were in love with each other.” Orieus joined her and smiled, he was happy for them. Once Jaina and Tumnus were back inside, Jaina made a sincere apology to her hosts, and all was forgiven. After some tea and dessert, Jaina and Tumnus headed home in high spirits. The moon was rising when they got back to the cave, and Tumnus kissed Jaina goodnight before turning in.

The next month seemed to fly by. Now that Jane and Tumnus were an item, there personal interactions were far more affectionate and less rigid. Tumnus would have preferred for Jaina to share a bed with him so they could cuddle, but Jaina was less sanguine about this as she had a “no bedsharing before marriage” rule, even if sexual intercourse was off the table. Tumnus was not thrilled with this, being a faun and all. However, he had a great respect for Jane’s feelings and wanted her to be comfortable and allowing lines not to be crossed until she had given consent.

A clear morning came and Jaina was helping Athena repair some of the furniture in the back den, and Tumnus was out picking up some mail from further south, when he passed by the lamp post when something caught his eye. At first, he worried it might have been one of The Men Jaina had told him about.

It happened to be a little girl, no more than eight years old wearing a plaid dress, stockings and black Mary Jane shoes. She was exploring and was delighted to see the lamp post. Who was she and what she doing here in Narnia? One thing was obvious, she was a human like Jaina, and if he didn’t invite her for tea, Aslan only knew who would find her. Besides, by the time they got back to the cave, Jaina would be there and that would make the situation less suspicious. At least it would be if she were my daughter, Tumnus thought to himself.

While Tumnus was sussing this all out, Lucy Pevensie caught sight of him and giggled. She had never seen a faun before, even though she was an avid reader of Greek mythology.

“Hello there!”

Kahara likes this.
  7. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    From Whence We Came

Pairings: Tumnus/Jaina

Chapter soundtrack: A Town Where You Can See the Ocean- Kiki’s Delivery Service OST, A Narnian Lullaby- Harry Gregson-Williams, Dance of the Swans from Swan Lake- Tchaikovsky

Chapter 4: The Bittersweet Betrayal

Tumnus had been caught off guard by the small human (he was quite sure the person standing in front of him was a human), but since she had said hello, it was only polite he responded as well, smiling gently, he responded, “Hello there to you as well.” The little girl stuck out her hand, and Tumnus was quite confused. What was he supposed to do? He could not very well kiss them as he had with Jaina’s. He tentatively took it into his on and held before asking what they did next.

Lucy could not help but laugh and explained that you were supposed to shake it. Tumnus asked her about her name and if she was a daughter of Eve. Lucy responded with her name, and that her mother’s name was Helen. Tumnus nodded, this confirmed she was a human. Since this was the case, it was time to invite her over for tea. At least then, in between him and Jaina, Lucy would be safe, for the time for tea.

“Lucy Pevensey from the city of Spare Oom, would you like to join me for some afternoon tea? My house is not far from here, there will be sardines and toast. It’s not far,” Tumnus offered Lucy his arm and they were off. It was not as far as Lucy thought, maybe about 15 or twenty minutes. The sun was higher in the sky, they trees clears as they made their way towards a thin line of mountains that broke of the main mountain range that ran along Narnia’s northernmost border.

“Not much further now,” Tumnus told Lucy. He reached a wooden door and knocked. It opened, and Tumnus showed Lucy into a cozy den. Some stairs led down to where there was a sofa and two chairs. A large bookshelf was on one side of the fireplace and there were two doors, one that led to the kitchen and one that led upstairs. Lucy was sitting down and Tumnus was stomping the snow off of his legs, when a gentle voice called out from the kitchen, “Tumnus, are you home?” Jaina stepped out of the kitchen and smiled and sat down on the sofa. “Well, hello there. How’d you get here to Narnia?” Lucy was a bit surprised to see another human here, and a young grown up lady, to boot.

“Who are you?”

“I’m Jane Antilles, and I’m from England, same as you.”

“Where are you from? I’m from Finchley.”

“Finchley? Oh wow, I’ve heard it’s lovely this time of year. I’m from Winchester.”

Having found common ground, Jaina and Lucy began talking about their experiences during the Blitz, and about their fathers. It was little by little Lucy revealed she was staying with Professor Kirke with her three siblings, all of whom were older than she was. After she said this, she reached down to pour herself some more tea and Jaina and Tumnus exchanged a knowing look. At this point, the toast and sardines were distributed, and Tumnus regaled the girls with tales of what happened in spring when Bacchus awakened and the rivers ran with strong wine, making Jaina blush as the implication of bacchanals. He also told of the Red Dwarves, and the treasures they would find deep underground.

Glancing out the front windows, Jaina commented, “Of course, it’s been winter for a whole century, so there is that.” Lucy cocked her head, how could it always be winter and never spring? Tumnus explained that it was because of the White Witch, and the only way her spell would be broken was for the four thrones down at Cair Paravel to be filled. Lucy nodded, she hoped they would be filled soon, the White Witch sounded awful.

It was here Tumnus pulled out a panpipe and began to play to entertain the ladies. Lucy was sitting next to Jaina and they were both staring into the scarlet and golden flames. The fire danced hypnotically, and it seemed they could see naiads and fauns dancing, but at the same time strange images danced before her eyes. A woman in a white dress bending over a blue and silver robot, a man shooting a gun at a tall, black clad knight with a metal helmet, with ominous mechanical breathing. Tumnus gazed into the fire, and in the moment his eyes fell on a sad, bewildered figure wearing grey and black robes. His eyes were piercing blue (the same shade as Jaina’s), his beard, mustache and hair were white, and his left had was made of metal. Who was he? No sooner had the vision of Luke Skywalker faded, Aslan’s face appeared and let out a roar!

It was here Jaina woke up and nudged Lucy, “Hey, are you okay?” Yawning, Lucy confirmed she was all right, but it was cold. Both girls turned to the fireplace, and the fire was out. Then there was the fact Tumnus had gone. Where was he? Jaina found him standing on the threshold by the front door. He was crying, so she embraced him. Slowly coming back to himself, Tumnus wrapped his arms around Jaina and gave her a passionate kiss. “I don’t deserve someone as wonderful as you, Jaina,” he whispered. Watching this, Lucy grinned and wondered if they were married.

They both blushed, and admitted they were not, at least not yet. Lucy gave Tumnus a hug, “You are the nicest faun I have ever met, please don’t cry.” Letting out a deep sigh, Tumnus apologized for accidentally hypnotizing the girls. He did confess that had Jaina not shown up to Narnia, he would have felt more compelled to take Lucy to the White Witch, having never met a human before. However, now that he knew Jaina and Lucy, he could not bring himself to do it.

Lucy said this was just as well, she needed to get back to Spare Oom. Telling Tumnus he could keep her handkerchief, he escorted her back to where they had met, and was back home with Jaina. He was trembling when he closed the door, and he held Jaina close as they cuddled on the sofa under the wool blanket, where they fell asleep for the night.

A few days passed quietly when a hopeful rumor began filtering throughout the Lantern Waste. Aslan was on the move, and soon the eternal winter would be over. Upon hearing this news, Jaina felt as though a great burden had been lifted from her soul, and she could face any obstacle with a renewed faith and confidence. It was about this time Tumnus decided to go ahead and get an engagement ring for Jaina. Visiting Kili and his clan, the dwarves were more than happy to take the order. Athena, Orieus and the Beavers were ecstatic to hear that they (Jaina and Tumnus) had met one of their future sovereigns, but now the question was who would be the main contact when all four Pevensey siblings arrived. It was agreed that Tumnus and Jaina would be the main contact, and the Beavers would be the secondary contact, should something come up.

One month later brought Lucy back to Narnia, and she was escaping! Not escaping from Professor Kirke, but the relentless bullying of her spiteful, older brother, Edmund. Their older siblings, Peter and Susan, were teasing her also, but they were gentle about out and were not doing it out of spite, and to their credit, were doing their best attempting to reign Edmund in. However, in spite of all their efforts, it was not working. As it was, Lucy much preferred the company of Jaina and Tumnus. Hoping she would meet them again, she slipped into the wardrobe and headed off to their cave, in hopes of catching up with them.

By the time Lucy was already at the cave door, Edmund was entering the wardrobe. After getting lectured by Peter yet again, he decided to follow Lucy into the wardrobe. He had always been spiteful and mean, and his behaviour had only gotten worse after their father (an economics professor) had been drafted. Susan’s motherly instincts were cloying and Peter was acting like a tyrant, in Edmund’s opinion. Groping the fur coats, he slowly made his way to where he thought the back of the wardrobe should be…only to find himself inside of Narnia.

Letting out an audible groan, Ed realized he was going to have to apologize to his sister, and that is the last thing he wanted to do. Lucy was always a good student, and rather mature for her age. She had sharp critical thinking skills and a deep faith in the good within everyone. It annoyed him greatly. Even when she sulked (her only flaw as far as he could tell) or acted like a girl her age normally did, she was scolded and that was it. It just wasn’t fair!

Trying to make his way towards the lamp post and calling out for Lucy when he found himself hopelessly lost. He was about to give up and retrace his steps, when it dawned on him, he could hear a sledge. Not a moment later, a giant sledge pulled up not 10 feet ahead of him. The two reindeer were the color of curdled milk, their amber antlers and blood-coloured harnesses were bedecked with bells. The reindeer were gigantic, twice the size of Shetland ponies. A sour faced dwarf wearing a blue shirt and a grey dunce cap held a leather whip in his red, chapped hands. There was a tall, blonde woman sitting on the seat. Her gown and coat were white, and her crown appeared to made of inverted icicles.

Gazing at Edmund, she gazed at him sharply. “What have we here? Some sort of overgrown, beardless dwarf?” Her tone was imperious, and her wand ran against his cheek. “I grow weary of waiting, what are you,” she bellowed. Completely cowed, Edmund stammered, “I’m…. I’m a human, your highness.” He added on this last part because of a crown. He also shut his eyes, expecting to be struck down for such cheek, he was quite sure of this.

Indeed, the White Witch was ready to slay him, but when he mentioned he was a human, she changed her tune. Slowly lowering her wand, she softened her voice and knelt before him, a gentle look crossing her queenly face. “I do apologize, Edmund. I jumped to an unfair conclusion. Please, come sit with me.” Too cold to refuse the offer, Edmund accepted the offer.

Once he was sitting on the sledge, she wrapped her arm around him, and spoke to him in kind, flattering tones. Not at all concerned that he was speaking to a strange woman who had almost killed him on site a few minutes prior, he was given something creamy and warm to drink, along with some Turkish Delights, at his request. He did not know that Jadis had created this magic food to mind control folks to some degree. It brought out a person’s worst qualities, without them even knowing.

Feeling more comfortable, Edmund told her, “Thank you very much for your hospitality, Your Majesty. I think you are a wonderful queen, despite what my little sister says.”

Ears perking up at this convenient tidbit of information, Jadis cooed, “You have a little sister, how sweet! What has she heard about me?” Edmund went on to tell Jadis everything he learned about Narnia from Lucy, including the fact there was an Outer Space Girl. Oddly, Jadis was quite interested, obsessed really, that Edmund had three siblings and that Jaina was from some planet called Corellia. She had murmured, “A Numínorean in Narnia, how odd.” This left Edmund confused, and she apologized.

“I apologize, Edmund. I have no children of my own, and I need a clever boy to take over for me when I die. You brother could be a duke, and your sisters, duchesses,” she suggested slyly, and also moving Edmund off of the sleigh. She told him how to find her palace, reminded him to please bring his siblings next time, and good bye. Waving, he was left there feeling rather ill from eating too many sweets and dazed.

Meanwhile, Lucy had been enjoying lunch with Tumnus and Jaina. She had seen the engagement ring and thought it was lovely, and after lunch Jaina had shown Lucy how to shoot the blaster. They used snow piles atop of nearby trees for target practice, and Lucy proved to have decent aim. She was in high spirits as she came down the main path, when she saw Edmund standing there.

“Edmund, you made it here too,” Lucy shouted gleefully as she tugged on her brother’s hand. It was this action that brought him back to reality. Shaking his head, he responded non-chalantly, “Yeah, so I did. Where have you been?”

“I was having lunch with Mr Tumnus and Jaina. He showed me the engagement he got for Jaina, and she showed me how to shoot her blaster,” Lucy enthused to her somewhat catatonic brother. Ed was not paying attention at all to what she was saying, he was trying to figure out he was going to get Susan and Peter in here, especially now that he had found his way into Lucy’s not so imaginary country, after all.

He nodded and told her, “C’mon, let’s go back. It’s getting cold.” Lucy agreed, and they made their way back through woods, through the wardrobe, into the spare room, and down to the one of the many empty rooms. Peter and Susan were discussing a song they had heard on the radio preformed by the Andrews sisters, and smiled when they saw their siblings. Lucy was beaming and told everyone that Ed had also been to Narnia. “Go on, Ed. Tell them,” she implored cheerfully.

Up until now, Ed had been undecided how he would get his siblings to get to Narnia and to the White Witch, but now a plan had started to grow. The first step was to make Lucy look like a liar, but that was going to be difficult for Lucy never lied. A white lie every now and then, but never a fib, she had a guilty conscience and came clean every single time. Smirking, he responded it was just a little running joke they had, and Lucy was kidding.

Bursting into tears, Lucy ran from the room, and locked herself in the bedroom she shared with Susan. Heartbroken, Susan rushed to comfort her baby sister, but not before giving Edmund a harsh look, leaving an angry Peter to deal with Ed.

“Kids these days, always making up stories,” Ed boasted. Grabbing his brother by the shoulders, Peter yelled at him, “What on Earth are you doing? You’ve been nothing but a horrid little brat to Lu ever since we got here. Can’t you see she’s trying to deal with the Blitz best she can? How dare you call her a liar- she’s the honest one in the family. Shove off!” He shoved Ed rather hard before leaving to see if Susan was having any luck comforting Lu.

Lucy was not having any of it, and she knew she was telling the truth, even if nobody else wanted to admit it. Outside the door, Susan and Peter decided to speak to Professor Kirke after dinner. However, it would be during dinner that the Professor would speak to them, instead.

The rain had started up after dinner, and Lucy was huddled up in a window seat openly weeping. Outside in the corridor, Professor Kirke heard the crying, and being a kindhearted man, stepped inside. Approaching Lucy slowly, he asked, “Is everything all right, my dear?” Lucy shook her head; it was apparent everything was not all right. Nodding, he asked Mrs Macready to please take the girl to get some hot cocoa. With that taken care off, he found Peter and Susan standing outside his office door.

“Good evening you two. Are you here to speak to me about Lucy?”

“Yes we are,” Peter confirmed, before doing a double take, “did you see her, Sir?”

“I most certainly did. I sent her with Mrs MacReady to get some hot cocoa. Can I speak to the two of you for a few minutes?” Susan nodded and interjected, “Actually, sir- we wanted to talk to you about Lucy.” Professor Kirke nodded, and let them sit down. Once they were comfortable, Diggory asked what was going on.

Hesitantly, Peter replied, “It’s Lucy, sir. We think she’s gone mad. She’s made up this whole story about a country in a wardrobe and about a faun and the outer space girl. Su and I want to write father in Calais.”

Professor Kirke thought for a moment and countered. “Madness, you say? I do not think so. I looked at her and I don’t think she’s mad at all. I believe she is perfectly sane. Let me ask you something, what led you to this conclusion?”

Susan and Peter were aghast, never had a grown up spoken to them like this before. It took a couple of minutes before Susan could cobble together an answer, “Well… we don’t know! But how can you be in a wardrobe for only a couple of minutes and claim you came back and Ed said she was lying.” Peter nodded in agreement.

Taking a puff from his pipe, Professor Kirke conjectured, “I see. Can you tell me one more thing? Of your two younger siblings, who has been the most reliable?”

“Up til now, it’s always been Lucy,” Peter confirmed with Susan nodding in agreement. Kirke shook his head, “It’s not madness, your sister is telling the truth. If she did find a country in the wardrobe, it makes sense she would come out as quickly as she entered. If she had wanted it to be a game, she would have stayed in longer. That’s the logical answer, and as you said, she’s always been honest, so why are you doubting her now? I believe your doubting is hurting her more than Edmund’s bullying. My goodness, what are they teaching in school these days.”

Peter and Susan found themselves agreeing with what the professor said. It was like he had dissected their concerns and found out the heart of the matter. However, there was still one more issue. “Lu mentioned the name of the Outer Space Girl, Jane Antilles,” Susan murmured. Diggory pulled out a newspaper article about Winchester and standing in the photo were Wedge and Jaina. Peter’s eyes widened, that was the same girl! Susan shivered, Lucy had been at school at the day when that news story was published, how could she know?

“What do we do know,” they inquired. Professor Kirke suggested that they all try minding their own business. This was a fine idea.

Back in Narnia, Tumnus received some bad news, there was a warrant out for his arrest. He and Jaina had been spotted. He was relaying this news to the Beavers while doing a drop off. He handed Mrs Beaver Lucy’s handkerchief, and she inquired what the pattern on it was. Jaina had stitched a tiny orange Rebel Alliance symbol on it after Lucy had asked about Wedge’s days as an X-Wing pilot. “I have a warrant out for me, I need to ask Jaina for her hand in marriage before anything happens,” Tumnus confided.

Mr Beaver nodded, “I feel ya, mate. Jaina’s a fine catch, Mrs Beaver and I will watch out for her.” Nodding, Tumnus bade them goodbye and made his way back to the cave. The ring he had for Jaina was tucked away in his muffler. He knew of a good place to propose marriage. It was a two hour walk from the Beavers’ dam back to the cave. Once he was back, he asked Jaina if she would care to go for a walk. Jaina thought this was a great idea, she had finished prepping the casserole for dinner and a walk would be lovely. She did bring her blaster with her, just in case.

As they walked arm in arm, Jaina lay her head on Tumnus’ shoulder and let out a contented sigh. Tumnus grinned, there was nothing he wouldn’t do for her. There was a clearing nearby, with a fine view of the ocean. Jaina was admiring the view and was about to ask Tumnus to join her, when she let out a soft gasp.

Kneeling on one knee, Tumnus took Jaina’s hands in his and asked, “Jaina Luthíen Skywalker-Antilles, will you do me the honour of becoming my wife?” Producing a delicate rose gold band with a single sapphire in the middle, he slipped it onto her ring finger. Standing up, he embraced Jaina, who whispered, “Yes,” to the question at hand.

Deliriously happy, the young couple shared their first kiss as an engaged couple, and stayed in the embrace, when they heard the sharp snap of a twig, and the low growls of wolves. It was the White Witch. Grabbing her blaster, Jaina placed herself in front of Tumnus and prepared herself to fight the White Witch.

Smiling sardonically, Jadis addressed the couple, “Well! A Numínorean in the arms of a faun. How quaint. Gnikabrik, arrest the faun.” Making a hand gesture, Gnikabrik appeared with some ropes, but Jaina started shooting at them. Jadis deflected the plasma volley with her wand, and it was here Ramakin entered the battle.

Tearing Jaina away from Tumnus long enough for Gnikabrik to bind his arms, the dwarf forced Tumnus to watch as Ramakin clumsily tossed Jaina into to the air and shoot her point blank with the blaster. “No, Jaina,” Tumnus screamed as he was led away. Jaina landed with a sickening thud in the snow, blood running from her nose and cheeks.

From a nearby bramble patch, Mr Beaver sat trembling with sadness and rage at the sight. It was all up to Aslan now.

Kahara, Emperor Ferus and greyjedi125 like this.
  8. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    From Whence We Came

Chapter soundtrack: Will to Live- Mononoke Hime OST, Water Traveler- Joe Hisaishi, Storytime and Ice Dance- Edward Scissorhands OST, Cocobeetles- Coraline OST

Chapter 5: “Of Fire and Ice”

Jaina! Jaina! Wake up, Jaina!

All around, long blades of grass swayed in the gentle breeze, and she could smell the ocean. Where was she? Was this part of Narnia? No, this was more familiar. Her hands ghosted against the strands of grass. This felt peaceful, why did this feel like home?

Jaina, please wake up- you can’t die yet!

From overhead, she could see porgs flying towards the sea, diving for fish…wait a minute! This was Ach-to! Father lived here. Grasping to see if he could sense him, she tried to sit up, but it was physically taxing. Snow started to fall, and she felt blood trickle from further up on her face…

Mr Beaver had seen what had happened, and no sooner had the White Witch dragged Tumnus away, he had crawled to retrieve the blaster. To his great relief, it was set on stun. Thank Aslan for small miracles. Running over to her, he started shaking her shoulders and begging for Jaina to wake up. He had only been shaking her for about a minute, Jaina came to.

“Tumnus, where are you,” she wailed as her grey eyes shot open. Sitting upright, she nearly fainted from the pain. Mr Beaver moved his arm around. “Quiet lass, you’ve had quite a spill.” Jaina nodded and remembered what had happened to her beloved faun. She made an unspoken vow she would rescue him, one way or another. Assuring Mr Beaver she could walk, the two of them made their way back to the dam.

Mrs Beaver had just finished prepping a hot honey-baked ham for dinner with a side of asparagus and tea, when she caught sight of someone with her husband. It was Jaina- what had happened? She threw open the front door and prepared her first aid supplies.

Jaina collapsed onto the floor, “It was so horrible, Mrs Beaver. Tumnus asked me to marry him and the witch attacked us- ow!” She winced as a cold, wet cloth was applied to her wounds. Mrs Beaver fussed over the girl. “Thank goodness your safe, I know you miss him. But you must wait, come and eat.” The hot food smelled delicious, and after eating something hot, Jaina felt much better.

After the dishes were washed and put away, Jaina told the beavers all that she knew. Mr Beaver nodded. “Smart thing to fight her off, you threw her off her game. Mark my words, she’ll think of something horrid to do to you. We must wait for Lucy and her siblings,” they told her. Before falling asleep, Jaina knew they were right. Besides, she needed to let her wounds heal and rest up.

Meanwhile, the situation at the Kirke estate had settled down somewhat, and the four Pevensey’s were out in the garden, playing cricket. Lucy was reading The Hobbit and Susan was reading a book about astronomy, with a preface written by Elwin Ransom. Peter had been taunting Ed about how much of a poor batter he was.

“Just pitch already, you idiot!”

Grinning, Peter threw the ball high and outside, and Ed swung the wicket at the ball just about as hard as he could. Flying high and away, it would have been considered a home run in American baseball. Ed started running between the pins when the ball crashed through a window in one of the tower rooms. Whoops!

At the sound of shattering glass, all four Pevensey’s got up. “Way to go Ed, you broke the window,” Peter scolded as they all dashed to where the room was. Ed rolled his eyes, “Oh be quiet! You’re the one who threw it too hard-” Lucy raised her hand, footsteps were behind them.

Quite afraid of being caught, they all ran into the room, which just happened to be where the wardrobe was, and the footsteps continued. Throwing open the door, Peter directed, “Quick, inside the wardrobe.” They all went in, and the further they went the colder it became. Finding this very odd indeed, Lucy led all of them back into Narnia.

“Where are we,” Peter finally gasped. The whole of Narnia was spread across his field of vision, and Susan was running her hands against some bark to prove to her rational mind she was not dreaming. A sharp gust of air blew snow onto them- nope! They were officially in Lucy’s country.

Grinning at his baby sister, Peter told her, “I suppose I owe you an apology Lu, will you forgive us?” Lucy did, but she also pelted him with snowballs. Susan laughed, that looked like fun. Once everyone had been thoroughly pelted, Susan made the decision to pass out coats, she was getting chilled. Ed complained he had gotten a girl’s coat, and Peter smacked his head. Served him right for calling a Lucy a liar.

As they were heading towards the lamp post, Lucy chirped, “Since we are all here, we can visit Mr Tumnus and Ms Jaina. She’s from a planet called Corellia.” Happily dragging Susan along, the girls were far enough away when Ed decided it was time to get his siblings to go with him to meet Jadis. It certainly would not hurt to offer some advice now, would it?

Moving closer to his brother, Edmund commented casually, “You know Peter, we’re going the wrong way. See those elms down there, on the east side of the path… we should be going that way.” Peter stopped short, what had Edmund just said?

Growling, he pulled Ed by the collar, “You…you little lying bastard! You were here that day Lucy said you were also in the wardrobe” Growling, Peter was seriously considering blackening his brother’s eyes and breaking his nose when he heard Susan and Lucy call out for them. Leaving a trembling Edmund in the snow, Peter ran to catch up with them. Wiping his mouth, Edmund just stared. He would get his revenge, one way or another.

Lucy wasn’t sure if she remembered the way back to the cave, but the sun was shining, even though it was getting late in the afternoon. Here and there, she saw a few visual clues, and as they rounded the corner, Lucy proudly showed them the cave…but something was off.

The door had been torn from its hinges, and Lucy ran down the path to see what had happened. Lucy gasped in horror, “What happened here?” Peter, Susan, and Edmund found a grim sight. Furniture had been overturned and slashed, crockery had been smashed and several half-written love letters Tumnus had written for Jaina had been left in the cinders. Adding insult to injury, Jaina’s wellies had been chewed up. Susan asked gently, “Lu, did the faun and outer space girl live here?” Fighting back tears, Lucy confirmed this with a nod.

Peter called them all over, “You might want to look at this.” Making their way back into the fading daylight, they read the letter:

“The former occupant of this residence, Faun Tumnus, is to be arrested and brought before the Queen. His charges include the following: being part of a resistance movement, entertaining and comforting Humans and wooing a Numínorean. LONG LIVE THE QUEEN! Signed, Maugrim- Captain of the Secret Police.”

Lucy started to cry, “This is all my fault! When I first came to Narnia, Tumnus invited me for tea, and I met Jaina. That’s how I learned all about Narnia and the White Witch.”

“Who’s the White Witch,” Susan asked.

“She’s the evil tyrant ruling Narnia, and all the wood folk hate her.” Lucy began to wander off, and Peter pulled Susan aside. It was obvious that the Faun and Outer Space Girl had saved Lucy’s life, and it was imperative they save the couple from certain doom. Calling to Edmund, they all set off again, with Lucy leading. Ed was sulking in back; he did not want to rescue the Narnians who saved his baby sister’s life.

After an half hour or so of heading west towards the sea, Peter caught sight of a robin. It was bright red, and twittered cheerfully, before flying away. Peter began to follow it. “Peter, what are you doing? We can’t follow a bird,” Susan insisted. Peter shrugged and explained he thought the bird wanted them to follow. “Besides, in all the stories I’ve read, robins are always good,” he argued. Considering they read the same stories, Susan was inclined to agree.

It was about here Lucy stopped, “Peter look! I saw something!” They all stopped, for they had seen something. It was the tail of a beaver, and when it popped out from under a bush, it nodded. Interpreting this as a good omen, the four of them moved closer, until Peter reached into his pocket, knelt down, and held out his hand toward the beaver.

Mr Beaver was not amused, he was Talking Animal, after all! “’m not gonna smell it, if that’s what you want,” Mr Beaver spat, quite unimpressed. Peter was about to say something, but Mr Beaver stopped them. “Not out here, we need to move closer in.” Gesturing for them to follow, they did so until they were in a small thicket.

Once they had gathered around, Mr Beaver explained. “I’m glad you all made it. You see, Tumnus and Jaina were supposed to meet you, but he was arrested and Jaina was injured in the melee.” Susan cut in, “How do we know they sent you?” Mr Beaver nodded, and produced a small piece of cloth.

Everyone was confused, until Lucy recognized it. “That’s my handkerchief, I left it with him. This symbol, Jaina must have stitched it in.” Susan stared at it, wondering what it was. Mr Beaver chuckled, “Let’s get back to the dam for some hot dinner. We have a lot to talk about.” Hot food? This was too good to pass up, so off everyone went!

The walk was not horribly long, but hunger is a harsh mistress so everyone walked as fast as they could, until they came across a high wooden dam fording the river. On the opposite side was a cozy looking hut, and inside one of the windows was the face of a young woman, about 19 or 20 years old. Looking out the window, she raced to the door, flung it open, and ran towards them, crying.

“Jaina,” Lucy yelled and they were both embracing. Their voices intermingled with joy at seeing each other again, and when the embrace broke, Lucy introduced everyone. “Edmund, Susan, Peter- this is Jaina Antilles. She’s the Outer Space Girl I was telling you about, and she and Mr Tumnus are going to get married.” Jaina blushed at this, and Peter and Susan thanked her many times over for saving their sister’s life- she was very brave and kind. As they were ushered inside, Edmund passed by and there eyes met. Jaina shivered, something was off about Edmund. She didn’t like it.

Once everyone was inside, Mrs Beaver looked up from her sewing, “You’ve all made it, at last! Now, we can sit down and eat. Jaina dear, could you cook the potatoes?” Mr Beaver introduced all of the Pevenseys, and they felt right at home. Mr Beaver and Peter went out to catch some fish, Lucy and Susan set the table, while Ed kept watch. In a few minutes, Mr Beaver and Peter returned with some beautiful looking trout. Standing at the stove, Jaina thought the fish looked delicious.

Within a quarter hour, dinner was complete and served. It was a simple dinner, but it was absolutely wonderful. Fresh pan seared trout, roasted potatoes served with golden butter, creamy milk for the Pevenseys, tea for Jaina and Mrs Beaver, and a stout ale for Mr Beaver. Once everyone had eaten dinner and the dishes cleared, Jaina served tea and Mrs Beaver pulled out a marmalade roll for dessert. Making themselves comfortable, they began to talk.

Peter asked, “Mrs Tumnus, I mean Jaina, Lucy said you were from Winchester and your dad was from some planet called Keralia. How did you get to Earth?” Jaina had not shared her story with anyone in depth before, aside from Tumnus, Athena, Orieus, and the Beavers. Collecting her thoughts, she decided a truncated version might be in order.

“My father and I come from a planet called Corellia, and it’s located in a galaxy far, far away. My dad’s a brave space pilot, when he was a bit younger than I am now he defected from the tyrannical Imperial Empire and joined the Rebel Alliance. He became one of their best pilots, and after Emperor Palpatine was defeated, he had me and we moved to the planet Ach-to. Of course, Ach-to is exactly like Michel Skellig, so England was rather more like an extended home coming. I grew up in Winchester, he makes a living repairing farm machines, and I go to college in town,” she explained.

Susan and Peter told Jaina they thought she was very brave and kind, and what interested them the most was how she got to Narnia. Jaina told them about her dreams, and about how she and Tumnus had met a little over a few months ago, at least in Narnian time. Lucy found all of this to be incredibly romantic, and Susan decided she wanted to be like Jaina when she grew up.

Peter then asked, “Well, with that out of the way, who is this Aslan?” Everyone was quite interested in who he was. Mr and Mrs Beaver took turns explaining how Aslan, the Great Lion, was rightful ruler of all Narnia, as well as the prophecy about two Sons of Adam and Two Daughters of Eve were to sit on the thrones down at Cair Paravel.

The discussion was so focused, nobody noticed Edmund slip out of the door and away from the dam. He ran and he ran, no longer focused on all of those inside the dam. He was looking out only for himself at this point.

He was no more than a mile away, when he began imagining what Narnia would be like under his rule. Peter would not be a king, or a member of his court. He would be a servant, a valet. Lucy, he would put to work in the kitchen as his personal cook and Susan would be the scullery maid. This thought made him laugh, of his two sisters, he had far more contempt for Susan. As for Tumnus and Jaina, he wasn’t quite sure. True, they had saved Lucy’s life. Maybe they would be a good butler and housekeeper. Yes, that would suit them quite nicely, to be in a higher station than his siblings. He liked this arrangement very much.

Puffed up with false pride and a hankering for magical Turkish Delights, a sharp gust of wind howled through the tree branches, snapping them and bringing Edmund back to reality. Shivering, he cursed himself for leaving his warm fur coat behind…even if it was a girl’s coat.

Scrambling up a sharp hill and descending down the other side, Edmund saw that he had arrived at the flat valley, and there in the distance was the Queen’s castle. It looked as if it had been carved from the whitest marble, there were no marks visible to the human eye. At all four corners (the palace was shaped like a giant cube), the towers had conical roofs that were also white. From Edmund’s perspective, the resembled dunce’s caps.

“It’s about time I made it,” he said aloud as he made his way through the open gate, and what a sight awaited him. In the front garden were all sorts of stone statues. At first, he thought they might be moulds, but he corrected himself. These were Narnians who had dared to rebel against their queen. Served them right.

Wandering around, Edmund saw all sorts of Narnians. Not just fauns, but good giants and centaurs who were loyal to Aslan, satyrs, nymphs, tree women, and more than a few Archenland warriors. Feeling this macabre menagerie could use something new, Edmund picked up a piece of charcoal and began doodling on the animals.

Instead of feeling happiness at this activity, he felt that this was not as fun as he had first thought. Angry and dejected, he walked around to wear he saw a grand lion, and mistook it for Aslan. It was not Aslan, it was a lioness who had killed several dwarves who were loyal to Jadis. Taking his coal, he drew glasses on the lioness.

“Not so powerful now, are you, Aslan,” he sneered. Oddly, his words sounded hollow and melancholy. Shaking his head, he decided to call upon the Queen. Making his way to the elegant gate that led inside, he stumbled across a grey wolf, sleeping on the threshold. Smirking, Edmund decided to draw on it…when the wolf jumped on top of him and bared it’s fangs.

“What do you think you are doing, you little fool,” Maugrim hissed. Edmund dropped the charcoal and was quite frightened. Maugrim snapped his jaws and growled, and Edmund had to gather himself before responding.

“I am Edmund, and the Queen is expecting me, dog. Tell her I am here,” he ordered in his sharpest voice. Maugrim had heard all about Edmund and chuckled darkly. He responded he would, and to wait right there for a moment. The grey wolf bounded out and off to the Throne Room, where he informed his mistress, she had a visitor.

Edmund was starting to feel chilled much more as he waited and was hopping from one foot to another when Maugrim reappeared, an executioner’s smile on his muzzle. “Follow me, o gracious visitor,” he intoned sarcastically. Maugrim kept a quick pace, and Edmund was forced to keep up. While they walked, a quiet sense of dread began to well up inside of Edmund.

Before he really had any time to consider his feelings, he found himself face to face with a very angry White Witch. Her eyes stared right into him. Slapping his face, she stood over him and raised her wand. Standing over him, she ordered Gnikabrik to throw him in the dungeon until she was calm enough to deal with him properly. Also, he was to get bread and water, nothing more and nothing less.

The cell Edmund found himself in seemed to be carved from a single block of ice. It was bitterly cold, and it was only now guilt and remorse began to gnaw away at his soul. In his moments of self-reflection, he heard a cough from the cell adjacent from his.

The occupant was a forlorn faun, and when he made eye contact with Edmund, he asked, “Are you Lucy’s brother? You both have the same nose.” Edmund felt his heart plummet into his stomach, this was the faun who saved Lucy. “You saved my sister, you and that outer space girl…Jaina Antilles. They’re safe, you know.”

Tumnus let out a sigh of relief, Jaina and Lucy were safe. Of course, it was here Ed could feel someone staring at him. If he felt cold before, he was frigid with fear. This was before the ominous mechanical breathing his ears. KSSSHHH HOOOOOOOOOHHH… KSSHHH HOOOOOOOOOHHH… The man was frightening, he bore a metal death mask, was clothed entirely in black and the medical panel on his chest made him even more of a nightmare.

Darth Vader gazed down at Edmund with contempt that comes with being a Dark Lord of the Sith. Tumnus did not see the Sith Lord, but rather the remorseful Force Ghost of Anakin Skywalker, Jaina’s grandfather. It was here Jadis stalked into Edmund’s cell, eyes cold and sharp as frozen glass. Behind her was Gnikabrik and Maugrim. Suggesting a tone that brought Grand Moff Tarkin to mind, she hissed, “I grow weary of waiting for an answer. Where are your siblings, and where is the Numínorean?” Edmund gulped, and Vader’s ominous breathing grew louder.

“They’re…they’re with the Beavers,” he finally gasped, crying at his cowardice. “I hope your happy selling everyone out, Edmund Pevensey. Was all of this truly worth it,” Tumnus asked as he was dragged away. Jadis cut in and said Jaina would be joining him very soon. After Tumnus had been dragged away, Gnikabrik bound him with ropes and forced him into the sled. Jadis returned with Maugrim. The wolf howled and his pack appeared.

“Find the smaller humans travelling with the beavers and slaughter them. But bring me the older girl also with them, I want Ìsíldûr’s descendant alive,” she announced. The sleigh prepped, they all rode out into the cold, dark night.

Kahara likes this.
  9. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    From Whence We Came

Chapter soundtrack: Spring- Antonio Vivaldi

Chapter 6: Speaking of Faith

Back at the dam, everyone was in a state of panic, well almost. Jaina and Mrs Beaver had started packing supplies and Jaina turned her blaster from “stun” to “kill”. She was going to protect her sovereigns any way she could. Mr Beaver could see his wife and Jaina had put two and two together, the others not so much.

Slipping on his coat, Peter was telling Susan and Lucy to start looking once they got out the door- surely Ed hadn’t gotten to far. Jaina closed the door, “Stop! Peter, Ed’s not here. He’s gone.” Peter stared at her, what did she mean by that? Lucy turned very pale, “You mean, he…went to the White Witch?” Susan shook her head in disbelief, it couldn’t be true, could it?

Mr Beaver asked quietly, “Has Edmund been to Narnia before? Somebody would have to let slip Jaina was here before all of you.” Lucy shivered, “Yes…he has.” Peter and Susan shuddered deeply, that had been the very day Ed had called Lucy an out and out liar. Jaina hushed them, “I hear wolves.” Thrusting packs into everyone’s arms, the Beavers and Pevensies hurried down an escape tunnel, but Jaina lingered as the wolves crashed inside.

Pew! Pew! Pew!

Blaster bolts flew, felling a few wolves and wounding others, and Maugrim growled, “I would very much like to snap your pretty little neck, girl.” Jaina grinned cheekily, they would have to catch them first. She scurried down the tunnel and began to catch up. Maugrim tried to dig, but the tunnel was far too small. Breaking out the door, he ordered his troops to split up, they would cut the group off. Letting out a howl, the chase was on!

Once Jaina had caught up to the group, Mrs Beaver scolded her, “Honestly Jaina, you’ve done enough! Now, come on.” Peter smiled at her, Jaina was very brave. Susan decided when she got older, she wanted to be just like Jaina. Every so often, they could all here feet overhead, the wolves were following them. The Beavers, however, knew of more escape hatches than the wolves had knowledge of. Nevertheless, the wolves had spilt off and now it was a waiting game.

After an hour or so of crawling, they popped out of tunnel opening, and Jaina asked, “Is everyone all right?” Susan replied yes, and they kept going as fast as they could, Lucy holding hands with Susan and Jaina. Peter wanted to rest but they had to get to Aslan. Suddenly, they heard the howl of a wolf. “Run,” Jaina yelled, dragging Lucy behind her.

The wolves came running down from the hills as they crossed the cracking, thin ice of the river. In the sprint to cross, Lucy slipped and was dragged away by Maugrim. “Peter! Jaina! Help,” Lucy wailed as she kicked at Maugrim. The ice was slippery, and chunks of ice were falling into the river. Peter and Jaina raced off after her, and Jaina pulled her blaster, it would only take one shot. Pew! Stunning Maugrim’s leg, they slipped down the ice, and fell under the water and it took the two older ones a herculean effort to drag themselves and Lucy onto a sturdy floe, and it was here Jaina took another shot…shattering the ice-covered waterfall. The chunks fell into the water, creating a lethal tidal wave that washed the wolves down river, just as Jaina, Lucy and Peter made it to shore.

All three collapsed to the ground in exhaustion, but it had been worth it. Crying, Susan embraced them all and the Beavers hugged them, especially Jaina. “Tumnus would be so proud of you,” the Beavers told Jaina.

Jaina smiled softly, there was still a long way to go. The journey got more pleasant for them; signs of spring were all around. The sound of birdsong, bursts of greenery and wildflowers and the warmth, oh the warmth! Ditching the coats, the humans sighed happily and were finally starting to enjoy themselves when they heard the awful sound of sleigh bells. “Everyone, behind me,” Jaina ordered as she drew her blaster. Mr Beaver darted around the corner, and returned smiling. “It’s all right, it isn’t her.” He bid them all to come out.

There was a sledge, but the owner was a tall man, dressed in bright red robes and a kindly manner. Why, it was Father Christmas! He was so real and friendly, there was an overwhelming sense of joy. He smiled at them, “The dark magic has kept me away long enough, but now the long winter is about over.” He turned to the group and said he had gifts for everyone.

“This is your sword, Peter. Keep it by your side, and you will fell many enemies.” He handed a bow and arrow to Susan, along with a horn taken from a ram, “For your defense, my dear. War is ugly indeed when women fight but defending oneself is your right. The horn will bring allies to you are in need. Likewise, for you, little one- a dagger is a fine thing, and your cordial can heal any wound.” The Pevensey’s thanked him profusely, and Father Christmas turned to Jaina.

“I have not forgotten about you, my dear. I have long known that war runs in your blood, for you are a Skywalker, the granddaughter of Anakin Skywalker. For you, a diary to chronicle your life in Narnia and beyond. Also, a quill that needs to ink,” he intoned. Jaina received a leather-bound book with Aslan’s outline on it. She thanked him gratefully, and Father Christmas informed the Beavers he had repaired the dam and left a new sewing machine for Mrs Beaver. As a parting gift, he left them a small feast.

“Happy Christmas and long live Aslan!”

Meanwhile and further away, Edmund was very much regretting selling out to Jadis. In fact, he hated being with her and Gnikabrik. He sincerely regretted calling Lucy a liar and putting Jaina and Tumnus through so much heartache. Adding to that, he was still dealing with inferiority issues stemming from his relationship with Peter. It had all gone so wrong.

Maugrim came up the path, limping. Jadis knelt to him, “My loyal Maugrim. What has happened to you?” Maugrim explained how Jaina had shot at him with her firearm and his troops had brought with them a fox who had thrown them off the trail of Isíldûr’s heir. Jadis’s eyes turned cold.

“How dare you assist false rulers,” Jadis stated coldly. The fox smiled gently at Edmund, “Your majesty.” A strike from her wand, and the fox turned to stone. She clouted Edmund round the head and dragged him onward. Later, they encountered squirrels celebrating and Edmund stood in front of them, “Leave them be!” Shoving him into the ground, Jadis struck him again and turned the squirrels into statues, “Let this be a lesson.” Edmund shuddered and hated himself even more.

Why had he made the others suffer so?

After walking all night, they had finally made it! Down in the green valley. tents and an assorted variety of Narnians. They had made it! Gently making their way down the slope, they were bowed to, and more than few fauns looked Jaina over and nodded approvingly. Word had gotten out about her engagement to Tumnus, it seemed. It was here a blonde female centaur pushed her way out, “Jaina?” Jaina laughed and embraced her friend, who in turn was introduced to the Pevenseys and the Beavers.

“Follow me, you are all to meet Aslan,” she instructed. and they soon came to the largest tent. Everyone kneeled, as the Great Lion appeared. He was as fierce as he was kind, and he greeted them all, “Welcome to Narnia, all of you. I greet you, Peter, Susan and Lucy. But where is the fouth?” Jaina looked downcast and said that he was lost in the darkness. Aslan nodded gravely at this revelation.

He spoke to the Pevenseys briefly, and then turned to Jaina. “I welcome you as well, Jaina Skywalker-Antilles. I know your heart; your bravery has reached my ears. Your blaster, may I see it?” Jaina handed it to him. Aslan walked around the weapon carefully, “A relic from the days your grandfather Anakin walked in darkness. Your Aunt Leia used one, and know you use it. Why do you have it set on stun? Would it not be easier to kill your many enemies?”

Jaina stared at Aslan. “It’s better to wound an enemy than to kill, if I can. Besides, I had to protect Lucy and the others. How can I have sincerity in my soul if I know I have blood on my hands? My fathers would know better than I. They fought the battles…”

Aslan smiled gently at her, “Dearest one, do you not know that through me all things are possible? Your father’s soul is not damned, and all those who are lost will always come home in the end.” Jaina smiled at this and said thank you. It was about now Athena and couple of dryads were called to have the Pevensey sisters changed into Narnian clothes.

Less than an hour later, Jaina and Lucy practicing target practice with archery sets when Susan joined them. Twirling around, she commented she hadn’t worn a dress like this since before the war began. Jaina nodded, she would have just started university the last time she wore something like this. Susan tried to shoot bullseyes but wasn’t having any luck. “You have to believe Su,” Lucy told her older sister. Jaina sat up, alert. It was too quiet. Quietly, she switched her blaster to kill mode.

“Jaina?”

Out from the underbrush, a dozen wolves attacked, “Get back!” Jaina shot her blaster and held them off long enough for Lucy and Jaina to climb a tree. She followed, but the blaster did not stop them this time. Susan blew her horn, help!

Peter heard the horn and he and some others showed up, swords drawn. Some of the wolves had been shot at, but they were still growling and one of them was tugging at Jaina’s cloak, dragging her down. Peter raised his sword and slew Maugrim. Those who were not slain in the melee afterwards, fled into the hills.

Aslan bounded down, “Rise up, Sir Peter Wolfsbane. Do not forget to wipe your sword.” Peter did so and turned to his sisters, “Are you both all right?” Lucy nodded, “We’re alright, Peter. Jaina protected us.” Jaina blushed slightly, and Peter placed his hands on her shoulders, “Thank you, Jaina.” She smiled at him and nodded.

Aslan turned to Orieus, “Go to the Witch’s Camp, and rescue Edmumd. Peter, I wish to speak to you and Jaina.” Jaina and Peter followed, Orieus and his followers left, and Susan went to speak to Athena, leaving Lucy alone with the Beavers.

“It’s not fair, I want to help plan,” she whined as she sat down and sulked. Like any other eight-year-old, Lucy had strong opinions. The Beavers scolded her, saying that she needed to smarten up and find something productive to do. Leaving and rather embarrassed, Lucy resolved to better her behavior and began sketching with some supplies left lying around.

Kahara likes this.
  10. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    From Whence We Came

Chapter soundtrack: Spring- Antonio Vivaldi

Chapter 7: Re-unification and Sacrifice

The sun had set when Jadis learned that not only had Aslan returned to Narnia, but he set up camp, and to add insult to injury; Jaina and the others were unharmed. By now, the sun had set, and she was having Gnikabrik set up camp for the camp. It was here several wolves came limping back, bearing worse news. Maugrim was dead, slayed by Peter and Jaina had wounded several others. Jadis was aghast, how had her most loyal troops died at Aslan’s command? She would have to settle this herself. She told Gnikabrik to go ahead and prepare Edmund for sacrifice.

Edmund heard the exchange and began to panic as the dwarf opened his collar and Jadis sharpened the knife, oh no! He was frightened, dying like this, cold, alone, and unloved away from his family had not what he had been expecting when he entered Narnia! Now, it was too late. Jadis strode towards him, murder in her eyes. Tumnus, Jaina- please forgive me. Lucy, I failed you.

There was the sounds of a horn, and a rush of centaurs, good minotaurs and fauns, and some dwarves who were loyal to Aslan raided, swords drawn. In the melee, Edmund was freed and carried off, relieved but scared at the same time. “Don’t worry, Your Highness,” Orieus assured him as they made their way towards Aslan’s camp.

The bloodbath had spared Jadis and Gnikabrik, who had transformed when they heard the horn. Jadis was going to have to confront Aslan herself, and she told Gnikabrik to assemble their remaining forces. “Send out word to the followers of the Nazgûl, the descendants of Azog, the balrogs, thorns, shadies, lady and gentledevils, the witches, those which lurk, werewolves, all those I call to my side, we go to war!” Ferocious roars dark at midnight rose from the throngs as the black night.

Back at Aslan’s camp, Jaina had been sleeping in the tent with the other female warriors, including Athena. She was emptying the communal chamber pot, when she saw Orieus and a small phalanx return, and was that Edmund? She let out a sigh of relief, “Oh thank goodness!” she put the chamberpot back and went to see what was going on. She walked around to the front and almost ran into the Beavers. They confirmed Edmund had been rescued, and as they went to alert the Pevensies, Jaina saw Edmund talking to Aslan, good. “Jaina! Come on,” Mrs Beaver called to her. Jaina nodded, and the made it to the tent the other Pevensies were sleeping.

Kneeling, Jaina gently shook Lucy awake, and the little girl stirred. Blinking she sat up and asked, “Jaina, what’s going on?” By now, Peter and Susan were awake, what was going on? Jaina’s smile was bright, “It’s Edmund, he was rescued last night.” This was the best news any of them had heard since they entered Narnia. Opening the tent, the three siblings stumbled out into the early morning. Coming down the gentle slope was Edmund, followed by Aslan. Looking up at his siblings and Jaina, he ran into their embrace. Crying, he hugged Jaina tightly. Aslan chuckled warmly, “There is no need to speak of past actions. Edmund has repented.” They walked along, and everyone cheered as Edmund had reunited with his family, when a faun came running up, Jadis had come!

Jaina moved in front of Edmund, and readied her blaster, “Stay behind me, Edmund.” There were growls, hisses and dirty looks as Jadis strode through the camp. Something about the way she walked reminded Jaina of Grandfather when he had still been Darth Vader. She had seen old footage of when he had entered Echo Base looking for Father, and to a lesser extent Uncle Han and Aunt Leia. All the humans turned to Aslan, and he nodded to Jaina. She sighed and switched the blaster back to stun.

Jadis strode through the crowd, and her cold eyes fell of Edmund and then she locked eyes with Jaina. Jaina calmed herself, she would rescue Tumnus, she was certain of it. Ignoring everyone else, she addressed Aslan. “You have a traitor here, Aslan,” she announced coldly. Jaina shivered, was it possible Jadis was a Sith? Seemed like one to her. Aslan replied Edmund was not a traitor and that she was not welcome. Mrs Beaver snarked that she was not Queen of Narnia, and Jaina shushed her.

Aslan countered Edmund had repented and was under His protection. Jadis countered that he had forgotten the Deep Magic written on the Stone Table. Before Aslan could even reply, Jadis turned to Jaina, a fingernail sharp as glass running down the girl’s cheek, drawing blood. She smirked, “So, you are Isíldûr’s heir, I expected someone a little older. The daughter of sodomites, this one. Have you told them? Told them you are not of woman born?” Jaina’s eyes were bright, “You have no right to disparage my fathers in that way. It is none of your concern, either way.” Peter was taken aback, Wedge Antilles was queer? He had a feeling he and Jaina were going to have a very interesting conversation when this was over. Aslan and Jadis went into Aslan’s tent to speak privately, and Jaina frowned, something coming to the forefront of her mind.

The conversation went on for some time, and eventually Jadis and Aslan left the tent. “So, we have a deal then,” Jadis asked, and Aslan let out a roar and she quickly fled. In a moment, he caught Jaina’s eye and nodded at her.

So, it’s true then? You are the Narnian Jesus?

Your faith is strong, Jaina. You may lack the Force the way your cousin Ben does, but your heart and mind see the truth clearly before others can.

Addressing the crowd, Aslan ordered the camp to move to the Fords of Beruna, and as everyone packed and moved Jaina and Lucy noticed Aslan seemed sadder somehow. Lucy was going to ask, but Jaina told her not to. “He has a lot of his mind, so let’s get going.” Lucy smiled at her, and Susan nodded. They made the trek and soon the tents were pitched and Orieus and Athena were running practice drills with the troops, Lucy practiced her archery and Susan helped the medics prepare supplies.

Peter was sitting on top of a hill with a fine view of the sea, when Jaina caught up with him. “There you are, Peter. Feeling nervous,” she asked. Peter nodded, “I’ve never led an army before, and they expect me to be king? Back in Finchley, I was captain of the football team, but this…Aslan expects the impossible!” Jaina patted his shoulder, “I think when the time comes, we humans can find the courage to do the next right thing. Maybe Aslan chose you for that reason.” Peter scoffed, how could she know that? She said she didn’t, but she did encourage him to keep the faith.

Peter asked, “Well, what about you, Jaina Skywalker?” Jaina figured he would be curious, so she started from the beginning. “A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, my grandfather, Anakin Skywalker, was a brave Jedi Knight fighting in the Clone Wars. He had no idea that Chancellor Palpatine, his mentor, was really the Sith Lord Darth Sidious. Sidious seduced Grandfather to the Dark Side, and it cost him his relationship with his dearest friend, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and my grandmother, Padme Amidala. She died giving birth to my father, Luke Skywalker and Aunt Leia. Years passed, and Leia helped the Rebel Alliance and it was only after Father and Uncle Han joined the Rebellion, did the Empire find itself having to fight, and Grandfather redeemed himself protecting Father from the Sidious’s wrath.”

Peter whistled, Jaina came from an amazing family! He asked about her fathers met, and if being queer was normal on Corellia, and in her home galaxy by extension. Jaina confirmed this, and asked if he was bothered by this, she would respect his opinion on the matter. Peter smiled at her, “Well, it’s not fair for me to tell someone from another galaxy how to act. Besides, your galaxy is older than Earth, and you’ve had time to figure that all out. Besides, you turned out well. Thank you for keeping an eye on Lucy.” Jaina nodded, and it was here Aslan joined them. He showed then Cair Paravel and told Peter if He was not there, Peter to lead the troops into battle, and Jaina would help protect his sisters, and he showed them Cair Paravel.

When they got back to camp, Aslan retired to his tent as he wished to be alone. Over dinner, Lucy and Jaina were talking to each other, and it seemed Aslan was sad. Maybe they could cheer him up later? Susan cut in, “You are not Lucy’s sister, Jaina. Back off!” Jaina nodded, she was surprised by the outburst, as was Athena.

Later that night, Lucy simply could not sleep. After tossing and turning for a few hours, she nudged Jaina. The older girl smiled, “Can’t sleep?” She sat and the two of them left the tent, and Susan poked her head. “Where are you two going?” “We can’t sleep, Jaina and I are worried about Aslan,” Lucy explained calmly. Susan nodded and decided to go along with them. She apologized for snapping; she had not realized how close they had gotten.

They saw Aslan on the outskirts of the camp, and he looked up mournfully at them. “You should not have come.” Jaina shook her head, “Even in our darkest hour, we should always rely on others.” Lucy hugged him, “Don’t be sad, Aslan.” Susan held back but patted his mane. Aslan walked with them for a while.

The night grew later, and as they moved further away, Aslan felt Jaina stiffen, she knew before the others did what was about to happen. He turned to face them, “You must stay hidden and not interfere with what happens next, it has been ordained. Hide, and listen to what Jaina says, she is the Queen’s Guardian.” The girls cried and begged him, but there was no other choice. Turning to them one last time, he said, “The Force and I will be with you. Always.” All three took shelter under some roots and ivy.

Aslan approached the Witch, “I have come.” Jadis cackled as hordes fell upon him, shaving off his mane and binding him to the Stone Table. Her followers were a gruesome bunch, Uruk-hai, orcs, trolls, goblins, giants, goblins, ogres, hags, wargs and werewolves, witches, demons and countless others. Jaina and Lucy were crying, Susan was shivering.

The knife plunged deep into Aslan’s chest, and Jaina collapsed to the ground, she knew it had been going to be bad, but she felt the pain and despair deep in her soul. Had the disciples of Christ felt the same when Jesus died on the cross two thousand years ago? The crowd dispersed, and they approached the table. Aslan’s death carried on the wind, and was brought back to camp. The battle ahead lay on Peter’s shoulders, it was off to war then.

Jaina stroked his head, “Oh Aslan, how brave of you.” Lucy was beginning to tug at the ropes when mice appeared. Susan shooed them away, but Lucy stopped her. “They’re biting off the ropes.” Indeed they were, and once the ropes fell away, Susan suggested they walk for a little while.

Jaina nodded, and she and Lucy followed, when Jaina thought she saw someone watching them form a nearby ridge. “Hold on,” she told them. Lucy pulled her back, it was better if they stayed together. Jaina saw a shimmery blue figure flicker, who was that?

Running back, Jaina came face to face with the Force Ghost of three Jedi. Pulling back their hoods, they were revealed to be Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker. Jaina curtseyed to them, the two great masters and Grandfather! What were they doing in Narnia? The men said nothing, but they smiled at her and bowed.

Lucy ran up to her, “Jaina, are they Jedi Knights?” Jaina said yes and introduced them to her. In an instant they had vanished, and they rejoined Susan. What to do know, did they go back to camp or keep vigil a little longer?

Kahara likes this.
  11. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    From Whence We Came

Chapter soundtrack: Princess Leia's Theme- John Williams, Organ Symphony, Third Movement- Camille Saint-Saens

Chapter 8: The Prophecies Fulfilled

The dark night was still, a thaw wind buffeted what remained of the Great Lion, and the horrid ropes that had held him fast. Jaina stroked his head and whispered, “On the Silver Shores of the Grey Havens, may we meet again.” Lucy kissed the Lion’s noble brow in between her tears, and Susan ran her hands along the table. All three were at a loss, a deep well of grief and despair festering in their souls. They kept watch for over an hour, and the mice gnawing away at the ropes. Susan eventually made the suggestion they head back to camp. The sun would be rising soon.

Lucy and Jaina agreed, and as the sun slowly rose over the horizon, and as the last stars started to fade and the glorious sun rose over the Eastern Sea, the gold and azure mixing together in a glorious mix of swirls. The girls were making their way down the path when they heard a sickening crack radiating from the Stone Table? Worried about something else happening, they ran as quickly as they could back to the area. All they found was the table, split in two…and no Aslan? Where was he?

Scanning the horizon, Jaina caught sight of something darting along the horizon, Lucy clung closely to the older girl, while Susan looked for a stick to use as a weapon. Just as the sun rose to where the Stone Table had once been, the triumphant roar of a lion echoed down the dales and into the nooks and crannies still hidden by shadows. Jaina cried out in joy, Aslan had risen indeed!

Lucy and Susan followed in hot pursuit, and never in their lives had they been so glad to Aslan alive and well than in that moment. “I told you all would be well,” he said gently as the girls embraced him. For some time, they frolicked as spring flowers spouted as they danced. As the sun rose higher and the last stars disappeared from the sky, Aslan turned his neck towards the west and slightly north, “Onto my back, there is much work to be done.” Lucy got on first, followed by Susan, and Jaina was last. Aslan leapt and bound, echoes of his roars reverberated, and all the green things began to flourish.

In what seemed like no time at all, they had arrived at Jadis’s palace, and Jaina could feel her heart race, and Lucy was going to help Jaina find Mr Tumnus. In a way, they were her Narnian older brother and sister, and they viewed Lucy as their little sister. The white marble walls were unnerving, and when Aslan knelt, Jaina and Lucy took off like a shot. They ran down a long hall, down some stairs, and out into the large courtyard where Edmund had defaced some of the solemn forms. Lucy spotted him first, and Jaina felt her heart break. He had been frozen midscream, and she felt herself cry as she ran to him and placed a sweet kiss on his stony lips. Lucy looked up and Jaina squeezed her hand.

Aslan smiled at the young couple and smiled gently at the form that had bond. He breathed, and the spell broke. Tumnus unfroze and blinked, realizing Jaina was holding him close. “Jaina…” he breathed, wiping away tears before pulling her close and kiss her passionately. Happily, Lucy embraced them. Once Tumnus and Jaina broke apart from kissing, he knelt down and grinned at Lucy, “Good to see you again.” Lucy nodded and asked, “Are you and Jaina finally getting married?” The young couple, still holding each other, said yes, they were.

By now Susan had caught up with Aslan, and upon seeing Jaina and Tumnus share a sweet kiss, she could only gawk. Aslan chuckled at her confusion, “Oh child, you must unlearn what you have learned.” Susan asked what that meant, and Aslan replied, “It means that there are more ways of seeing things that we are led to believe. My old friend, Jedi Master Yoda, taught that lesson both to both Jaina’s grandfather, Anakin, and her father, Luke.” It was here Lucy introduced the couple, and Susan nodded to Tumnus, and then the couple bowed and curtseyed to Aslan. “Come, we have much to do,” he said.

Indeed, there was a lot to do, many creatures were all over the place, in hidden corners and in closets and in stairwells. An unfrozen sheepdog was quite helpful in herding newly freed Narnians into the courtyard, and among them the good giant Rumblebuffin used his club to break down the window. Aslan nodded to Lucy and Susan to get back onto his back, Jaina would join Tumnus and the others as they followed him into battle against Jadis and her monstrous hordes.

Back at the Fords of Beruna, the battle was continuing and the moment, it was a bit of a slog. The Narnian front line was meeting stiff resistance, even with Athena and the archers making a good show. The airborne troops were having a better go of it, but it was about now the front line was breached, and Jadis was heading right for Peter and Edmund, who were in the thick of fighting. There was an ear shattering roar as Aslan descended down the slope, followed by Jaina, Tumnus and those whom Jadis had frozen. Jaina began shooting her blaster left and right, Tumnus using his sword and protecting her at the same time.

It was here Edmund was able to break away when he saw Jadis start to target Peter, time to make right the wrongs he had done. Jaina saw what he was doing, she had once chance to make a clean shot. Pew! The blaster bolt flew true, and shattered her crown. Stunned, Ed saw his chance and ran at her, full steam and wounded her, but in his rush, he took a blow to his stomach. “Edmund,” Peter shouted as his sword sliced into her wand, and the resulting explosion sent him backwards, and it was here Aslan roared and pounced, killing the horrid witch once and for all. When this was realized, the dark forces fled and in the flight, the retreating horde was killed in the crush, by Narnian forces, or managed to escape.

Ed lay on the ground when Jaina and Peter reached him, “Edmund- you were amazing!” It was about now Lucy, Tumnus and Susan caught up, and Tumnus and Edmund said hello to each other. Lucy applied her cordial to the wound, and it healed as Jaina helped him up. Lucy was called away to assist with the rest of the wounded. “Your reckless, Edmund Pevensey. Just like my dads when they were young,” Jaina told him.

Some time later at Cair Paravel, everyone was cleaned and put into fresh clothes for the crowning ceremony. Tumnus was wearing a scarlet surcoat and was teased how much Jaina was going to be eyeing him at the ceremony (they were formally engaged, after all). Jaina was dressed in a beautiful white Regency-era, the light overgown embroidered with delicate blue flowers, her hair braided into a bun.

The Pevenseys were standing in front of the thrones, Jaina standing to the left side of Lucy, being the Queen’s Guard, and Tumnus was in charge of placing the crowns on their heads. Lucy grinned at her Narnian brother as she was crowned Queen Lucy the Valiant. She smiled brightly, and Jaina let out a gentle laugh at the young girl’s clear excitement. Tumnus smiled at Jaina, and she blushed. The older ones in attendance all nodded in agreement, Faun Tumnus and Jaina Antilles were a good match, their marriage would be blessed, as Aslan willed it.

It was now Aslan called them to come forward, and there they stood, holding hands. Aslan nodded to them before addressing the gathered congregation, “Narnia owes a great debt of gratitude to the both of you for keeping hope and love alive during Narnia’s darkest hours. For this reason, among many others, I give my utmost blessing for Faun Tumnus to take Jaina Luthien Skywalker-Antilles as his bride, in a week’s time. My blessings and the Force be upon you both.” The young couple bowed slightly, and cheers broke out as Tumnus scooped Jaina into his arms and kissed her again.

With the formalities over, a fete was held in honor of the young royals, and as the subjects danced and mingled, Tumnus and Jaina excused themselves for some much needed alone time, and there was a balcony overlooking the ocean that would work perfectly. Pulling Jaina into his lap, Tumnus wrapped his arms around her shoulders, placing kisses along her neck and lips. Likewise, Jaina nuzzled the crook of his neck, her arms pressed against his chest. They were so enwrapped with one another, they quite failed to notice Lucy walking out to the balcony.

“Do either of you know where Aslan went,” Lucy asked as she approached them. Hearing her voice, they broke apart and managed to pull themselves together, and Tumnus explained, “He comes and goes as he pleases. One day, he’ll be here in Narnia and gone the next. He’s not a tame lion, you know.” Lucy nodded, that made sense in a lot of ways and sat down next to them. Jaina handed Lucy her handkerchief and smiled, “You’ll need this more than either of us.” Lucy asked about the symbol. “It’s the symbol of the Rebel Alliance my fathers, aunt and uncle helped found. You are now a member, Lucy,” Jaina explained as Tumnus ran his thumb over his fiancée’s hand affectionately.

Lucy beamed and skipped off to join her siblings. “We should join in the festivities, if at least for a little while,” Tumnus suggested, offering Jaina his arm. Jaina smiled, and back into the palace they went. When they did dance, it was said they were the best couple there by far.

Only a week to go before the wedding!

Kahara likes this.
  12. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    From Whence We Came

Chapter soundtrack: Fairy Tale- Enya, Binary Sunset and Force Theme- John Williams, Apotheosis from Sleeping Beauty, Canon in D- Pachebel

Chapter 9: The Wedding

Once the celebrations had settled down, the real business of running a country and planning Tumnus and Jaina’s wedding was underway. Peter and Susan, along with Tumnus and Jaina, were able to get some general “ground rules” laid out and enacted, sending messengers hither and yon to bring everyone up to date. In the meantime, Athena was appointed Royal Tutor to Edmund and Lucy, who thought she was the best teacher they ever had and held that opinion even in the years after they left Narnia.

Even with the laws passed and getting the hang of running a kingdom as smoothly as possible, the wedding was an “all hands on deck” situation. None of the Pevenseys knew they first thing about organizing a wedding, much less if a Narnian wedding differed from an Anglican wedding, Jaina having been raised in the Anglican tradition. Two days in, the Beavers decided to take charge of planning, leaving their Kings and Queens to focus on getting decrees enacted and opening up diplomatic relations with Archenland and Calormene.

Considering how tall Jaina was, getting a wedding dress sewn to size was going to take either too long or not be a good look at all. Somebody made the suggestion to check the basements, and they were able to fine some muslin and wool gowns dyed in bright green and blue, the shades complimenting her complexion. Aside from the holes left by the moths and mice, they would be easy to repair. Some of the more gauzy and sheer cloth Jaina turned into a robe and panty set for the wedding night.

As the days passed, Jaina’s dress came together, and much to Tumnus’s dismay, he had to wear not only a linen blouse but a sapphire surcoat over it. Edmund and Peter were in the room as Mr Beaver finished hemming the surcoat. The faun stamped his hooves impatiently, “Hurry up! I don’t like wearing this, it’s confining, and it itches. Besides, it’s not Jaina’s never seen me like uncovered before. Besides… the sleeves itch.” Beaver chuckled as he packed up his needle and thread, “It’s tradition, mate. Besides, think of the effect it’ll have on Jaina.” At this thought, Tumnus blushed.

When came to the wedding party, Lucy and Susan would be bridesmaids, Peter and Edmund would be grooms, and Athena was the maid of honor. The Beavers were acting in loco parentis as mother of the groom and father of the bride, since Wedge was still in Winchester, and Tumnus had lost his mother and father to Jadis. The most pressing question was who was going to officiate the wedding.

With two days to go before the wedding, there was no one to officiate. Considering the debt of gratitude owed to the young couple for protecting Lucy, Peter took it upon himself to officiate the wedding. As it was, the royal court and the servants felt he would be the best choice, being High King and all. They were supportive of him, and Peter felt a bit better about the whole ordeal. Aslan, on the other hand, had somebody else in mind.

Across the universe and on Ach-To, it was a dark and stormy night. Rain poured by the gallon from the infinite blackness of the skies overhead, only periodically punctuated violently by lightning and tremendous peels of thunder. The wind whistled and howled, churning the seas into an inky, briny soup. Staring out the window of the rough, stone hewn cabin he currently inhabited, Luke Skywalker. A long low sigh escaped from the weary Jedi Master, a shell of the great Rebel Alliance hero who’s romance with fellow pilot Wedge Antilles had been the stuff of legends. How happy and thrilled Leia had been upon hearing of the news, the jubilant cries of Rogue Squadron upon hearing the news, Lando and Han’s well meant, of not straightforward bachelor party.

He squinted into glowing fire, how long ago had that been? Over twenty years ago, and now here he was, a horrible excuse of a hermit, exiled from those he had loved. The failure over failing to see the darkness within Ben, his rushed divorce from Wedge and exiling his one true love and their daughter to The Silent Planet, it had been for their own good. Where had that left him? An embittered old man, refusing to aid his sister in law and the galaxy at large. He could not face the terrible sin, he had given into fear and hate, and the resulting fallout, weighed terribly on his tortured soul. Even though he had not fallen to the Dark Side, he could bear to shoulder the burden he was responsible for the creation of Kylo Ren, and he exiled the only person who could defeat him, his daughter.

He had completely given up on the Force and love, and as he tried not to remember far happier days, something small and weak caught his ears. Turning towards the door, he strained his ears to make out what it was. Against the howling, relentless wind, the weak mewling bleat of some injured ungulate. Sighing, Luke reached for his cloak and opened his door to the tumult outside his stoop, when he tripped and fell face first into the bed.

Coughing and sputtering, Luke raised his face and found a lambkin licking his face. “Baaaa!” Luke groaned and rolled over, ugh! The lambkin nudged the Jedi tenderly, and Luke relented. Smiling gently, Luke moved with the drenched creature in his secure grasp. Once they were back inside and Luke placed the lamb near the fire, the Jedi sighed softly and went to get some milk.

As Luke puttered around in the kitchen, Aslan took on his true form and waited for Luke to return. Luke nearly dropped the plate onto the floor, and responded to the Great Lion with a dismayed, “What are you doing here, Aslan? Or is it Maledíl?” Aslan turned to the Jedi, and while kind, He was also stern and unyielding.

“Luke, why have you forsaken all those you love,” Aslan inquired. Luke’s eyes narrowed, “I have not forsaken anyone,” he retorted peevishly, the slight hint of a whine sneaking into to his terse response. Aslan nodded and pushed deeper, “Why have you forsaken Wedge and Jaina? Does your family still matter to you? Why have you rejected the Force? Do you still not believe?” It was these questions that got Luke’s dander up, and this is how Aslan hoped Skywalker would react.

Of course I believe! What sort of question is that? I am the last of the Jedi in this whole kriffing galaxy, and you have the nerve to ask me such a thing? Do you know how much I sacrificed rebuilding the Jedi Order? I failed Ben, I failed everyone!”

Aslan nodded, and prodded Luke some more about Wedge and Jaina, why send them away? Luke was forced to admit, he was frightened of what would happen to Jaina if she fell under Ben’s sway, her prophetic dreams would be put to terrible use. “I…I failed everyone,” He finally confessed. Aslan nodded, “You have not failed, you are merely stuck. You must let go, Luke. Let go, feel the Force around you. Remember what you learned.

At Aslan’s bidding, Luke let go. He could Yoda and Obi-Wan’s words in his mind, “Judge me by your size, do you? Mmmm…size matters not…The Force is my ally, and a powerful ally it is. Do. Or do not. There is no try. The Force is what gives a Jedi their power, it is an energy field that surrounds us, and penetrates us. You are going to find that many of the truths we cling to are told from a certain point of view. Let go, Luke. Let go…Luke, the Force will be with you. Always.”

For the first time in who knew how many years, Luke used to Force and connected with everything on the island. The Lanai Caretakers, the porgs, thala sirens, every pebble and blade of grass. The humming the Force, it’s whispers and shouts, he could sense them. By now, the storm had broken, and Luke felt a cold spot near the Dark Side well. There was dried blood, and Luke and Aslan walked to the spot, the Jedi’s fingers felt the grass. He thought he had sensed the barest whisper of the Force, this was Jaina’s blood! What had Jadis done to her?

Aslan whispered into Luke’s ear, and the Jedi was beyond happy. He had a new mission now, and Aslan took his leave.

The day of the wedding dawned bright and fair, and the throne room had been set up for the momentous wedding. After all, it wasn’t everyday Aslan blessed an engaged couple. The few musicians that were able to hustle up from Archenland had been warmly greeted, and some sheet music had been found. The throne room had been appropriately decorated and the lectern was ready to go.

Everyone, from the bride and groom to the guests were getting ready, and Peter was pacing, practicing the liturgy allowed when a faun and a dwarf bowed, there was a Holy Man in the chamber. Peter let out a sigh of relief and hurried into the Throne Room. There was a tall man in a brown robe, his face obscured by the hood.

A chuckle, “Ah, King Peter the Magnificent, I wasn’t aware you still ran from place to place.” Peter could only gape, how did this man know his name? “Reveal your face to me so that I know you are a friend,” Peter replied sternly, not expecting to trust someone so easily.

Another chuckle from the hooded man, and Luke said he was from Archenland and to preside over the wedding, and a slight Jedi Mind Trick had Peter return to say he had found someone to preside over the ceremony.

Once the guests were seated, the processional began and everyone filed in, and Tumnus stood at the alter, awaiting his bride. The bride’s processional began, and Jaina was escorted in by Mr Beaver. The kirtle was a soft spring green, and the overgown was a soft, dark blue with gold embroidery. Jaina smiled at Tumnus as she clutched her bouquet of roses, baby’s breath, thyme, oregano, and rosemary. As they arrived at the altar, Tumnus met Jaina’s eyes and gently placed her hands to his lips.

It was now the Holy Man descended. The brown robe was obscuring his face, and as he appeared, Jaina knew who it was immediately. Revealing himself to the surprised gasps from everyone, he explained, “I am Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight and Jaina’s father. Aslan sent me officiate the wedding.” Walking forward, he kissed Jaina’s forehead and pressed her hands and Tumnus’s together.

Turning to the congregation, Luke intoned, “Aslan, bless us and this couple as they prepare to take the next step in their shared life’s journey together. Amen.” Luke began to give a small sermon about how love and marriage was not to be taken lightly. Eventually, it was time for the exchanging of the vows and rings.

“Do you, Faun Tumnus, take my daughter, Jaina Luthien Skywalker-Antilles, to be your lawfully wedded wife, as Aslan and the Force will it?”

“I do!”

“Do you, Jaina Luthien Antilles-Skywalker, take Faun Tumnus, to be your lawfully wedded husband, as Aslan and the Force will it?”

“Of course I do.”

Luke beamed as the rings were exchanged, and announced, “You may kiss the bride.” Tumnus did not need to be told twice. Pulling Jaina closer, Tumnus kissed her deeply, and Jaina let her bouquet drop. Everyone cheered as Luke announced them as husband and wife.

(Canon in D)

The young couple walked down the aisle deliriously happy, and off to the Great Hall for a feast, and as those closest to the couple waited, Luke spoke quietly to all of them. Once the couple entered, Luke quietly waved and took his leave.

The food was delicious and after many toasts, the floor was open to dancing. Tumnus and Jaina kept stealing kisses every five minutes, and as the hour grew late, Lucy and Edmund turned in for the night as it was getting late, and they had lessons after breakfast in the schoolroom. The older ones were allowed to leave, it was pushing eleven o’ clock.

The chambers set aside for Tumnus and Jaina were on the other side of the palace, away from the other bedchambers, for the wedding night. As Tumnus carried Jaina over the threshold, he kissed her passionately. Jaina closed the door, and lay down on the bed, giving her husband a seductive look, “Have at me, my dearest love.” Tumnus joined her on the bed, and kissed her gently.

That night, Tumnus made love to Jaina for the first time, full of their love and affection for one another.

Kahara likes this.