main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SSD Oppressor

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Dec 7, 2021.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Can anyone tell me anything more about this?

I mean it’s handy to be able to name 20 SSDs across two continuities but it’s always annoying when an SSD is invented in the same source it blows up.

2. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    There's precious little information on the Oppressor. I was genuinely shocked to see a new SSD named (and thrown away) in a tiny adventure seed. The full text on it is as follows:

The Empire's newest Executor Star Dreadnought, the Oppressor, is preparing to test its hyperdrive in preparation for final deployment. The warship has only a skeleton crew aboard. The PCs must sneak aboard the Oppressor, alter the ship's hyperspace destination, and escape before the awaiting Alliance fleet destroys the dreadnought.

Barriss_Coffee and Sinrebirth like this.
  3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Lord.

That’s not much.

The Rebels could have just crewed it!

4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    With whom? Droids? Clones?

Sinrebirth , Jedi Ben and Daneira like this.
  5. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Point.

They did say in Rebel Files that the Rebels couldn’t crew an SSD even if they captured one.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  6. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    They could have still stolen it and stashed it somewhere.

7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Reminds me of the pirate SSD in the Aftermath trilogy - I personally let it slide per Rule of Cool, but it sure raised some questions about just how many pirates are out there.

8. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I recall Booster Terrik had one hell of a hard time keeping the Errant Venture up and running, since the maintenance on that thing was a nightmare. Now imagine what it's like for an SSD.

9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Park it where it won't be found, siphon out the fuel, grab all the supplies, and strip the useful parts. That would be a gold mine for rebel logistics.

Nom von Anor, JABoomer and Chris0013 like this.
  10. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Strip it for parts.

JABoomer and DarthBoba like this.
  11. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Two thoughts:
    • The story Last Flight of the Harbinger from the Marvel series showed that an ISD, in canon at least, can be crewed with as few as 200 people (though they had a heck of a time keeping it operating, even though all they had to do was fly it in a straight line directly into a planet). A little bit of algebra based on that suggests an SSD could fly in a straight line with as few as 1500 crew. Of course, algebra probably doesn't reflect the realities of crewing something like an SSD, so... maybe multiply that number by three or four?
    • Wookieepedia says that the population of the Sovereign Latitudes of Maracavanya numbers ten thousand (the Wook doesn't source this number but it's probably floating around in the Aftermath trilogy somewhere).
    Putting these two data points together suggests that the Sovereign Latitudes could pull together enough people to form a skeleton crew for the SSD. Now, I'm very aware of how sketchy my algebra-based numbers are for the SSD, so I'm definitely not trying to make some sort of bold claim about that. And I'm also aware Legends suggested a minimum crew for the SSD of 50.000. But if you squint at the numbers and do a bit of hand-waving, it's... possible?

Barriss_Coffee and Sinrebirth like this.
  12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    You can't just grab random people off the street and expect them to run a Star Destroyer. Learning the basics of running ship systems takes a lot of serious study, and learning the procedures for a new ship type takes even more type-specific training. Try to imagine if the JCC tried to operate a nuclear submarine. I'm betting it would not go well.

13. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Entirely true, but Eleodie's crew are pirates, likely pulled from other ships in the fleet zhe already had prior to obtaining the SSD. (This assumes that Eleodie had some sort of fleet prior to obtaining the SSD, of course. I don't remember Aftermath well enough to know for sure, and Wookieepedia is vague on the topic.) There would be a learning curve (and likely a steep one) but with this in mind I can speculate that most of the crew would have at least some level of training and experience with ship's systems prior to crewing the SSD.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    If only we had the story of whatever happened to the pirate SSD....

15. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I am sure we will one day.

Plot-bunnies only grow.

16. BlueYogurt

BlueYogurt Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2021
    There's a star destroyer called The Oppressor? Geez, who's in charge of marketing & public relations for the galactic empire?

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In Legends, Wedge suggests that the Emperor wanted his captains to know, at least on some level, the truth of the regime they were serving.

"Admiral, have you ever wondered why the Emperor gave such nasty names to his Star Destroyers? Executor, Agonizer, Iron Fist, Venom?"
    "I've heard every schoolboy theory ever proposed on that matter."
    "This one comes from Luke Skywalker-"
    "Having exhausted the schoolboys, we now turn to the farmboys? How charming."
    "-who has a certain perspective on the matter the rest of us don't. He thinks it all has to do with corruption, with the seduction of the not-too-unwilling."
    Rogriss gestured for him to keep speaking, but his expression suggested that he'd heard it all before. The bartender brought Rogriss his drink, and Wedge waited until the man departed before continuing.
    "Put a man or woman in a situation where the actions he's obliged to take, such as serving Emperor Palpatine, are a certain path to personal corruption. Fill his ears with words saying that his actions are honorable ones. But surround him with constant reminders of the wrongness of what he's doing. Our victim will cling to the words but will, at some level, always be aware of the wrongness - he can't escape it. The symbols, such as the names of ships he commands, won't let him forget. He's always aware of his descent, of his slow transference to the dark side. Skywalker thinks the Emperor found this knowing acceptance of corruption, this half-accepting, half-struggling process, particularly delicious."

18. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    insert the relevant page from Starfighters of Adumar

EDIT: oh my I’ve been ninja’d!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
  19. BlueYogurt

BlueYogurt Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2021
    I wonder if Palpatine ever wrote a book on his management style.

Sinrebirth and Iron_lord like this.
  20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998