main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Special Editions: Replace Luke & Leia Smooch With a Deleted Scene?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by MidKnighT, Apr 2, 2022.

?

Should Lucas Have Removed the Luke / Leia Smooch Scene?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. No

30 vote(s)
    83.3%
  1. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Yeah, I don't know why Luke and Leia kissing has bothered so many over the years. Yes, we know that they are twins, but in-universe and in the story they do not know that. They have no knowledge of it. So while admittedly it is now strange to us, the viewers, at the time these events were happening, the characters themselves had no idea they were related.

Drac39 and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  2. Dr Silva

Dr Silva Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 23, 2021
    Id say if there was footage of yoda with a lightsaber training luke that wouldve been a great scene to put in but in 1979 when they made the film no such scene couldve been made.

Vialco, Darth Dnej and Watcherwithin like this.
  3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Nah. Those looks exchanged and C3PO shuffling up like a total perv are priceless.

4. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I always interpreted 3PO as being confused by it. After all, director Irvin Kershner said that 3PO did not understand Han and Leia's kiss. After all, he tapped Han on the shoulder during the kiss. Kershner said that 3PO is not human and doesn't understand emotions the way we do. Well, I'm sure he understands things like happiness and fear, but not sexual attraction.

Anyhow, just looking at the title of this thread caused me to imagine Leia saying, "Well, I guess you don't understand everything about women yet," with a cut to 3PO ripping off the wampa sign from that deleted scene. Makes no sense, but it's amusing.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  5. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    No, but I'm I guess the hardcore Harmy-only reactionary so my opinion comes with that grain of salt. Even so the kiss is only cringe inducing in retrospect and even not that much. It would be one thing if Lucas had developed sexual tension between Luke and Leia but it just isn't there. It's clear she is attracted to Han and only kisses Luke to make him jealous

6. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Honestly adding a scene of dialogue between them would be good. It’s weird that Luke and Leia have no direct dialogue together in Empire out of them sensing each other (and that would be insanely generous to call that “dialogue”)

Tosche_Station likes this.
  7. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    The scene should not have been removed for all the reasons mentioned here.

Not to break up the meeting or anything, but GL's SE changes, for the most part, did not improve the OT in any meaningful way. His changes detracted from the quality of the movies in many cases, Jedi Rocks for example, being one of the worst scenes in cinema history.

Changing/deleting even more scenes to these movies would be a mistake.

Yanksfan, Drac39, CT-867-5309 and 2 others like this.
  8. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    The trilogy had only a loose plan in place, so each subsequent movie retcons the last; some in minor and some in major ways. I say let the films exist as their own entity. It's regrettable scene only the context of what comes after.

To be fair, I believe it was scripted/acted that Luke and Leia had feelings for each other, and that the love triangle would have been mostly resolved in this movie. They removed a lot of the romance bits between Luke and Leia, which I think is the only reason they could have made them siblings in Return of the Jedi.

Sarge likes this.
  9. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    No, leave it in. The scene is not about Luke and Leia, it’s about Han and Leia. She was using Luke to get to Han and going off of Luke’s reaction to the kiss he knew it. The scene is fine and does what it’s intended to do.

Sith Lord 2015 and Yanksfan like this.