main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Obi-Wan Kenobi - Part 4 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Jun 7, 2022.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Jun 15, 2022.
  1. 10

8.1%
  2. 9

15.2%
  3. 8

22.8%
  4. 7

23.4%
  5. 6

11.2%
  6. 5

7.1%
  7. 4

5.6%
  8. 3

2.0%
  9. 2

2.0%
  10. 1

2.5%
  1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    What’s confusing about this?
    Probably implies that Lucasfilm has confidence in the show’s quality. I’d call it a good sign.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
  2. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    Just watched episode 4 for the second time and a lot of my initial criticism of it just vanished. Even trench coat escapades and speeder CGI.

Looking forward to Wednesday.

3. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    Then she kind of just becomes an empire era Ventress.

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Different stories take a different amount of time to tell.
    This is like being confused by a book being 800 pages long when there are books that are only 200 pages.

5. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    IMO, its no surprise that Andor has more episodes. There's much more material there to play with.

Blobofat, Bor Mullet and Yanksfan like this.
  6. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Based on his later known fate I still wish Andor wasn’t the main guy of the show. I would love it if was a primary character in a series related to the early beginnings of the Empire but one of a few and if some of the others fates weren’t known. I’m getting a little tired of knowing the fates of characters in new works. It’s one of the reasons Mando continues to feel so fresh to so many people. We don’t know what becomes of him. For a drama that’s huge. I enjoy prequels for what they are and with Kenobi I had my own wishes to spend more time with him in this era but Star Wars has gone backwards into known history so many times with character whose fates we know. We need more stories where we don’t know their fates at all.

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    You know Star Wars explained said something similar. That once he watches an episode for the second time it really changed for him. I don’t know why a second watch can change so much.

RetropME and DannyD like this.
  8. Darth Baga

Darth Baga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2021
    Yeah, I've actually come to appreciate it more. I like the similarities to the last level of Fallen Order. Fortress Inquisitorius is a cool setting.

IG_2000, RetropME and DannyD like this.
  9. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    Admittedly things do bug me in Episode 4 like the trenchcoat and how easy it was for Tala to overcome stormtroopers, and not just how easy but how fast, almost like the episode had no time for this and just speeding through it. Adding a few minutes of time to the episode to clear up some of the things that take the viewer out of the story imo would have helped. And I guess I mean ME when I say viewer.

I loved Obi-Wan's secret water entrance, except for how he wasn't wet after he emerged. Water is just very unnatural in this episode. And I can't remember if Obi and Qui-Gon were dripping water in TPM or not but that's not the point. I also wasn't sure why he didn't make an attempt to disguise himself even though this obviously worked well for the episode. Obi-Wan in a stormtrooper outfit would be terrible for instance. But Obi-Wan in an officer's uniform using the light saber? Why not? I've been largely disappointed with Obi-Wan's poor disguises over all. But it's true that if he's really on his game he generally doesn't need them (in ANH no one noticed him as he wandered about the Death Star). And I guess I can just believe he dried himself with the Force!

I wasn't sure what Reva was thinking when she left Leia in interrogation. Since she knows Obi-Wan might show up ("it's him," she declares without surprise when he does), surely she would know this moment in which she's summoned away might have something to do with Obi-Wan. I was okay with the interaction between her and Tala in that the scene is played as Reva seemingly wanting it to be the case that Tala isn't lying to HER. She seems to take Tala's treachery quite personally once it's unambiguous.

I didn't like how on-the-nose to ANH the entire episode was. I wish they had made it parallel a bit more softly. This is just something that bothers me about Disney Star Wars in general, repeating old cycles/templates and being really on-the-nose about it even using the same lines from previous Star Wars. I personally feel that THIS is the stuff that creates Star Wars fatigue, at least for me. I was hoping they'd steer away from it more in this series since the average viewer already knows the fate of a lot of the characters, and that in itself can be a bit fatiguing. This is a reason Reva is really important in the series, imo. I don't know her fate. She adds a bit of mystery in.

There is a painful lack of security in FI and it's not the same as with the Death Star in ANH. ANH escape is framed that from top down they are being allowed to escape. That doesn't mean any of the stormtroopers are in the know, but it means no one in charge at the top is giving orders or taking actions that will make their escape impossible, because Vader wants them to escape and that's been the plan ever since they arrived (maybe the Princess can be of some use to them yet, he muses).

I don't think that Reva is planning for Obi-Wan to escape if he arrives (if he arrives, she wants him caught it seems...). She put the tracker in Lola as one of her shot-in-the-dark ideas imo. I think Reva is kinda like a Force gambler who plays shots in the dark in general. I think the tracker idea only occurred to her when she was toying with Lola, another shot in the dark idea forming, a back-up that gives her more possibilities to work with no matter which outcome (insurance against a dead end). She doesn't even know if Obi-Wan will show up, only that he may, it seems? If he does show up she doesn't know if he will escape, though she'll try to prevent it. She just seemed too determined to catch them when she was running after them at the end, and seemed genuinely displeased they got away (I thought her expression showed that anyway and showed a bit of wariness in that she knows Vader will not be pleased).

Meanwhile, FI doesn't use even its TIE fighters to go after them. 5th Brother seemed to want them destroyed rather than allowed to escape and told Reva to do something about it (he's helpless and can scramble the TIEs). So she destroyed Wade's ship so he'd be satisfied she did something about it. There isn't any radar or anything, it's really easy for the proto-rebel ships to get in and out. But I suppose I can put all this aside especially since in these days there isn't really an active Rebellion that would dare to go up against FI with force, but then... there was the trench coat. And yes I had a really difficult time with the trench coat. And yes I had a really difficult time with hiding BB-8 under a trashcan. And yes I'm not sure any of these things truly are too ridiculous for Star Wars in general and I suppose generally all of them bother me off and on. I'd add though the issue with the trench coat isn't their choice to use it, they are desperate, but that the Imperials don't match up to the desperateness bc none of them notice. Anyway, I'll get over it.

That said, I didn't have a problem with Leia resisting Reva's mind probe as it's exactly what happened when Vader tried to interrogate Leia in ANH and he didn't automatically jump to the conclusion that Leia is FS or his daughter simply because she's strong minded. However, I think Reva might put this together later. She was so busy using Leia to get to Obi-Wan, she hasn't stopped to ask what is so important about Leia to Obi-Wan. She would have to see beyond her bitterness to notice. I kinda wonder if watching Obi-Wan go out of his way for Leia when no one saved her as a child is adding to the bitterness, but I can't tell. But it's just... Obi-Wan did nothing to save a single child in that temple, but he will take huge risks to save Leia... It doesn't compute. I would be shocked if Reva didn't figure it out.

Anyway I guess my main complaints are too on-the-nose parallel to ANH (I find the repetitiveness tiring) and a sort of problem I was having w suspension of disbelief due to the things already mentioned.

But I liked it overall a lot because I like the characters and I like that the overall pace picked up (except for the speeeeeding through the action moments between Tala and the many Imperials she neutralized). I thought the Obi-Wan action was really good. I loved the Reva/Leia interaction it kinda reminded me of Dorothy and Wicked Witch. The moment at the end between Obi-Wan and Leia was really heartfelt and lends great characterization for Leia who at the beginning of this series didn't seem to want anything to do with becoming a Senator. She runs away to the forest all the time, doesn't want to wave at the masses, doesn't think she belongs at these political dinner parties and no one would miss her, and being a Senator is about dressing in crusty clothes or something. I'm pretty sure after this experience she'll start to see politics as a means to perhaps address all of the injustice and suffering she's witnessed and endured.

TOASTEROVEN and Sproj like this.
  10. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I haven’t been able to bring myself to wanting a 2nd viewing of each ep. I’m now wondering if OWK will join Resistance as one and done for me which ain’t a good feeling as a SW fan.

As for Andor..meh I wasn’t excited about it then or now. I’m getting a bit bored being limited to these same 50-60 years period. I just want to see the distant past with characters/events that are new.

11. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004
    It will join BOBF and TROS as one-and-dones for me. They way they've squandered Ewan and Hayden is unbelievable to me. It's like if Paul and Ringo got together with Mick Jagger and Eric Clapton for one time only event and they played Creed covers.

I'm also going to cancel Disney+ after this series ends. I'm not going to have a debate with anyone here, but IMHO Disney only cares about "SW stans who will 10/10 anything" and little kids. I have no confidence in the stewardship of the franchise - even the optimism The Mandalorian brought about has evaporated. The story and acting in Jedi: Fallen Order are vastly superior to the Disney+ TV shows, and the Kenobi series is completely stealing from it!

How is it that, aside from Ewan, the talent in Fallen Order (Cameron Monaghan, Debra Wilson, Tina Ivlev, and Liam McIntyre) are clearly a much higher tier of acting talent from what Disney can get for live action? ...and it's not just Kenobi, the BOBF mods, etc. It's like they aren't even trying to make it good.

12. Jediking97

Jediking97 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 24, 2018
    I have to admit that when AOTC first came out I had mixed feelings for it. But when I got the movie on DVD for Christmas I appreciated the movie a lot more on second viewing

13. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I hear you. I’m not there yet but I’m certainly not drinking all the koolaid any longer.

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean if you think it’s all purposefully bad why watch it? There are franchises which I used to like every bit as much as I did Star Wars. And I still like the original stuff before I thought it went down hill. But I don’t force myself to read or watch the new stuff. Which is kinda impressive with my OCD.

my point is. If you truly do barely like any of the new stuff besides say Fallen Order why continue to watch it? It’s worth giving anything a chance, but if your this deep into a show chances are you won’t like it’s conclusion either. Maybe you enjoy disliking things. I don’t know.

Also acting is purely subjective. I think Kenobi so far has been greatly acted. It has one of if not the best child actors I have seen in a long time.

DarthKreVass, KyleKartan and Sproj like this.
  15. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    Well said...

The one I'm getting tired of is "No stakes". A world where any character can come back from any death loses any ounce of drama. Andor and Jyn probably got rescued by a ship at the last second before the tidal wave :oops:Laugh if you want (not you personally) but deep down you know the story is only set until it isn't. Good lord...

Sarge, Elle-Wan and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  16. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    Thats the thing dont get eighter! People complaining about anything SW since whatever how long but keep continuing coming back to watch and complain more.

Chances are high that they wont like it.

They didnt seem to feel that way at all and they were not squandered in any way in my point of view.

Sproj likes this.
  17. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    You might want to wait until after Andor to cancel your subscription, as I’m quite sure the acting caliber in that one will meet your standards…

18. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    If Ewan MacGregor and Vivien Lyra Blair aren't doing it for this poster, I suspect no actors will.

19. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    They can always cancel and subscribe again in November and binge watch all of Andor then :p

20. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Harsh, but completely fair

I don't think it's purposefully bad, the only Disney SW that might be was TLJ. Some of it is pretty good, R1 and Solo were not bad imo, and they're doing fine with cartoons. They're still figuring out how to use the Volume, and I like to think that they're getting better? But they are clearly operating under budget constraints, but they're trying which makes it worth watching, and I think they have good intentions, they just want to make some good Star Wars things.

This might be the best model to watch Star Wars. They want it to be a month-long holiday, so do it, pick May or December, renew the subscription, watch everything from last year all in a few weeks. Of course this could get shaken up with feature film releases, if that becomes a thing again.

21. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    An even better model , and one I use, is use a friend's account credentials and watch anything when I want to :p
    I offer him free Physics lessons in exchange. Which I would anyway.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  22. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    You guys understand that those shows are made in part because of the money Disney Plus is making with its subscribions as well as the number of subscribers?! Without money and subscribers the shows wont be made in the future.

I mean what does it cost per year? Its 89,99 € in germany, so 7,50 € per month. People pay way more for way more useless stuff like alcohol and smoking every month of every year. IMO the price is very fair for the amount of content you get there.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
  23. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Even so, some viewers really can’t afford a subscription on their own. We’re allowed to share. And Disney are definitely making more than enough money on the subscriptions they have.

DarthFixxxer and grd4 like this.
  24. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I agree on the "no stakes" argument...but I do wish we had seen Andor and Jyn have an 'out' on Scarif. I don't think they needed kill everyone off like they did. A U-Wing could have picked them up or they could have gotten to a shuttle that wasn't destroyed.

Intergalactic Lawman likes this.
  25. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I prefer it the way it is. I like to see good people die.