main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Obi-Wan Kenobi - Part 4 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Jun 7, 2022.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Jun 15, 2022.
  1. 10

8.1%
  2. 9

15.2%
  3. 8

22.8%
  4. 7

23.4%
  5. 6

11.2%
  6. 5

7.1%
  7. 4

5.6%
  8. 3

2.0%
  9. 2

2.0%
  10. 1

2.5%
  1. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    They sure love their "imperial base infiltration' scenes. I think it's been in every Disney property except Boba Fett (Solo has the mine break-in, which is technically owned by the empire)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
  2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It's only fair. The Empire is endlessly attacking Rebel bases.

The entire franchise thus far has been an extreme game of Capture The Flag.

3. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    BOBF doesn't have the "imperial base infiltration" because they broke new ground with their "Bib Fortuna's base infiltration".............

4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It’s also in two out of three OT films so it isn’t just a Disney thing. ;)

5. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    The best way to describe this one is "I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed". You won't see me ranting 4 years from now about how this episode is an abomination that destroyed Star Wars or canon or anything of that nature, but I honestly think I would enjoy this show more if this episode entirely didn't exist and the Empire just let them go to track them after episode 3. That's a pretty sad state of affairs if you consider how long I've waited for new Ewan McGregor Obi-Wan content and the fact that this show only features 6 episodes in the first place. The writing and effects are closer to what I'd expect from a high-quality fan film on YouTube than a canon show on a paid streaming service. My suspension of disbelief took a lot of blows before it finally shattered when the entire ocean burst through the window and Obi-Wan had time to run to the end of the hallway and have the door shut behind him before a single drop made it to the other side. On its own, it's whatever. Large IPs are gonna have mediocre episodes sometimes. It's unfortunate but it's not the end of the world. If the last 2 Episodes are amazing, I'll never think twice about this episode again. The problem is a conclusion's potential is fundamentally relatively dependent on how good the setup is, and given where the pieces are on the board right now, I have to say it's significantly dampened my excitement for episode 5. And considering this is on the heels of TBOBF which I feel had similar problems I'm beginning to question who's running things over there again after I was reasonably reassured by the release of The Mandalorian.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
  6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    While not Imperial bases, AOTC had characters infiltrating the Geonosian factory, and ROTS had them infiltrating Grievous' ship. It's definitely something that's part of the DNA of Star Wars.

7. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    The fact that it was done a lot in OT and PT makes the problem worse, not better.
    The writers have the responsibility to come up with new ideas. If it was done before many times, that's a good reason not to do it again.

8. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Not really, Pyke Syndicate is not the Empire. Empire allows it to exist though and they are bad guys, but still this is not really true.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  9. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    Why? I get the need for originality but the reality is, you have good guys v bad guys and when bad guys are an empire, it means they are everywhere and subsequently, infiltrations will inevitably need to happen, especially if we are talking about a series where runs in between the goodies and the baddies are part and parcel of this.

10. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    @Sproj
    Open your mind and allow your imagination to run wild.

11. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I mean I like infiltration missions in my Star Wars. Is there a lot of them? Sure but they’re fun so I don’t mind it. There’s a lot of lightsaber duels too and I don’t mind them either.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
  12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Also I am glad Kenobi hasn’t fought an inquistor yet

13. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Lightsabers are just tools. They're part of the design and mechanics of the cinematic universe, they are not elements of the plot. Infiltration missions, on the other hand, are portions of the story. A better comparison would be between infiltration missions and throne room duels, and yep, I have absolutely had enough of both.

14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Yeah, that was pretty goofy.

He probably should have done a Force leap or something.

15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Or use the Force Running he did in his first chronological appearance.

16. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I wouldnt expect any force speed or jumping for this series.

I think this is the minimal force powers take on star wars.

naw ibo likes this.
  17. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Yes, lightsabers are tools. However I said lightsaber duels which are just as much a part of the plot as infiltration missions.

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    A duel is a duel even if they're fighting with spanners. It's a story point.

19. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    It's really not the same, it's like taking action movies and point out that there are always guns.... but your point is well taken and the writers should surely be careful in keeping the lightsaber duels interesting, and the way you do it is by creating new situations in which the duels will take place, so it all comes down to what I was saying, that is, new plot ideas are needed.

20. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    TPM has Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon sneaking around a trade federation ship after they were invited onboard. Later Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan infiltrate an occupied Naboo City. For the conclusion the Jedi and Queens security infiltrate the occupied city.

In The Empire Strikes Back has Darth Vader invades Hoth Base. (Does that count?)

naw ibo and TCF-1138 like this.
  21. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    This sums up my feelings pretty well. I often find it hard to tell how much I liked a movie or TV episode immediately after I've seen it. There are a lot of mediocre things that I enjoy well enough on a first viewing and it's only later I realize it wasn't that good. The best test is to see if it sticks with me and unfortunately last week's episode has barely crossed my mind aside from a few cool moments that I rewatched.

This episode feels superfluous. If Leia had escaped from Reva, but Reva had managed to place a tracking device on LOLA in Part 3 and then we skipped ahead to Part 5, would we have really missed anything? If we needed the Leia/Reva scenes, I would have rather she stay with the Imperials for a while instead of immediately rescuing her in Part 2. Rescuing her twice feels like we're going in circles.

Here's hoping the next two episodes blow our minds.

22. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think that is one thing we can all hope for

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Obi Wan shaking the rust off is a very important beat in this series.

24. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    No, but Luke infiltrates Lando's house to save his friend, and that does count.

25. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    ESB’s Cloud City being occupied by the Empire counts. Lando and Leia have a corridor shootout very similar to ANH’s Death Star scenes. And it’s a rescue mission to save Han and then escape.