main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

So... Lightsabers can't kill anymore?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Intergalactic Lawman, Jun 23, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    Not only do they NOT kill you, apparently they are just a temporary setback when you get ran through... [face_thinking]

Discuss

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    No it can. Great!
    It killed two stormtroopers in this show.
    Fallen Order it killed countless people

So the answer is yes it can kill people. This thread will definitely spawn great discussion. I can tell. :p

clone commander bossk likes this.
  3. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Lightsabers cauterize wounds upon impact, so as not to kill immediately and allow for a good cybernetic replacement. They are the Jedi's "less-lethal" weapons, kind of like how cops have tazers.

Django Fett and 3sm1r like this.
  4. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I um still think most force users can't save themselves after being stabbed, even on the dark side . . . we just see the few special ones :)

PS surely a blaster would cauterize as well...

5. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Lightsabers are lame.

6. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    It isn't just laser swords, it is lasers too apparently, look at Shand, Hunter and Rex.

7. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    This is really just another death thread.

TCF-1138 , 3sm1r and oncafar like this.
  8. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Uhh, isn't this being discussed at the "death problem" thread?

[​IMG]

9. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    In the real world people survive getting shot and stabbed all the time. In fact, people have even survived getting shot point blank in the head. Clearly they cannot kill anyone and reality has terrible writing.

10. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    Lightsabers are able to cut through nearly any hard substance. If such a weapon were stabbed into a body, it would destroy organs and soft tissue like they were nothing.

It's an absolute joke that human characters can so easily survive such a wound.

And we're not even talking about merely surviving, but barely having such a wound affect you at all!

It's absolutely some of the worst writing any of us will ever see. Pure nonsense!

Intergalactic Lawman likes this.
  11. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    That isn't how anything works.

It can cut through anything? So what, a normal blade can cut flesh fine. It doesn't matter, if the blade doesn't pass through a vital organ one can live through it.

In fact, a lightsaber wound is, if anything, easier to live through than a normal cut, because there is little risk of bleeding to death or getting an infection, due to the wound being cauterized.* Most lightsaber wounds that do not instantly kill should be survivable.

And gut wounds in particular are things that kill through bleeding. Like, that is what makes them so horrible - a gut wound is guaranteed to be a long and horrible death by bleeding as a opposed to a quick death by brain or heart, or even a quicker bleeding out from an artery. With a lightsaber though and much less chance of bleeding out, that does seem pretty survivable.

And "barely having such a wound affect you at all" - did you even watch the episode? The character in question was barely limping along, almost losing a fight to moisture farmers.

*Well, I suppose if you wanted to really get into it, something as hot as a lightsaber should cause a steam explosion in your blood and blow you to gory chunks, but since star wars has never, ever worked like that and always gone with the cauterized cut approach, I think that is the best basis for analysis.

Sarge likes this.
  12. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    Of course it would hit a vital organ.

Let me impale you through the gut with a lightsaber.

Twice.

wobbits and Intergalactic Lawman like this.
  13. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    This thread is indeed redundant.
    But talking about sabers specifically, I believe that it took way too many hits for OW to kill Stormtroopers. In most instances it looks like a saber can cut people like butter, whereas in this show it did look less lethal, at least vs Stormtroopers.

14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    This I can agree with. I guess one can rationalize it with the armor slowing down the blade a little?
    Lightsabers have always been a bit inconsistent though. In ROTJ they can't even cut through thin railings, or Jabba's henchmen.

3sm1r likes this.
  15. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    Don't remind me! What was the point of bringing back Maul other than balant fan service again?
    They had Savage Oppess!
    Kenobi stuck him down in anger..even with the explanation given? It doesn't make sense to me canonically and it only serves to validate S.T.U.P.I.D; like Reva surviving Vader not once, but TWICE! #MakeITMakeSense

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

16. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    It might. Sometimes, it doesn't.

Sarge likes this.
  17. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    It also doesn't make sense for Obi Wan and Anakin to be training with live lightsabers...one false move! Loved the scene though...

3sm1r likes this.
  18. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Especially since OW wanted to go ahead even after he had lost his saber, begging the question of what Anakin was supposed to do in order to be proclaimed the winner.

Intergalactic Lawman likes this.
  19. Jedi Tony

Jedi Tony Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2022
    Lightsabers in general have kind of outlived their usefulness. If jedi can move mountains and entire spaceships mid-fight, and WITHSTAND having mountains and spaceships thrown at them mid-fight, then it doesn't really make sense to arm yourself with a pointy light sword.

I don't think Lucas ever intended for jedi to be that strong when he came up with the idea for the original movie.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  20. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Why? Just because you say so? Then which instant death organ is in fact being hit exactly?

And honestly, does twice matter? He deliberately stabbed her in the same spot - if she lived through it once it wouldn't be more lethal the second time.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  21. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Indeed. Vader's goal wasn't to kill her, just to break her by showing her that nothing had changed in the last ten years; that she was still an insignificant youngling.
    Then they left her there, not caring whether she lived or died, because she wasn't a threat to them. She never had been. She was, as Kylo might have put it, nothing.

Sarge, Watcherwithin and MercenaryAce like this.
  22. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    pm.jpg

23. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    If you close the "Death Threads" they will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine :ben::bluesaber:

24. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    [face_rofl] Neimoidians crack me up every time!!!!
    [face_rofl]
    [​IMG]

25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I’d take a lightsaber to this thread but apparently that won’t cut it, so just gonna give it a good old fashioned lock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.