main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Resistance Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Ancient Whills, Apr 26, 2018.

1. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I'm currently watching the show for the first time, 4 eps into Season 2. I can say that I'm enjoying it for the most part, in a laid-back quieter way. It's definitely the weakest SW show, but it has its charms. The first few episodes were too comedic, but the second half of Season 1 ramped up the intensity a bit. Torra and Synara are my favourite characters. I quite like the setting of the Colossus station, and all its varied denizens, especially with the pirates rocking up in Season 2.

Let's see, other things to mention... I love the ship design, taking old PT and OT designs and mashing them up in new ways, especially the bolted together pirate ships. I wish there was a lot more planet diversity, 25 eps or so and other than Castilon there have been a grand total of two other planets visited, the abandoned temple world with Poe and the Ice column one.

Tamara's arc was interesting, though a bit annoying with how none of the hero characters were ever allowed to get a word in about why they didn't like the First Order, rather than just falling back on how they lied to her. Though season 2 seems to be running with that as kind of the point, that she doesn't want to listen to them anymore so they can't get through to her.

I actually quite like the way the First Order is used here (barring the Starkiller stuff in the finale). I prefer them as they are here, a small-scale Imperial revival, more like the portrayal in Mandalorian than the big neo-Empire in the movies. There's a lot of believable reasons for citizens of the galaxy being misled by their intentions, or thinking they aren't a threat.

I wish the plots were a bit meatier on an episode to episode basis. Let's just say I'm glad to bingeing it all in one go, I can't imagine watching this at the slow weekly pace with how low-stakes most eps end up. Time will tell with how Season 2 goes, though there's more to like than I'd feared before watching.

2. Grizzlor

Grizzlor Jedi Master star 1

Mar 14, 2015
    I failed to make it through half of season 1 when it debuted. The show was a massive let down from the Filoni CGI programs. I understand they aimed for a younger audience and it was a different animation style, but I simply couldn't take it anymore. Far too vapid, and the main guy, brutal!

3. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    Bit sad to hear, since the quality tends to ramp up in the back half of both seasons - the first couple episodes are usually character and world introductions, and then the plot finally kicks in and it gets a lot better

Especially if you don't focus on Kaz, who's only ever at his best when he's in a cockpit, which...they never really do, which is frustrating given the marketing devoted to the ships...

4. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017
    I enjoyed it, I never give up on a StarWars show, it started slow, but gradually got better. Rebels also started off too slow for me, but ended as one of my favorites. Resistance was the most consistent story in the ST. All the characters grew on me and I'm glad I watched every episode.

5. Darth Baga

Darth Baga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2021
    If there's one thing I liked about Resistance, it's the show's sense of community. Few Star Wars shows really have that. The only other one that really comes to mind is Ewoks and its stories surrounding Bright Tree Village. I really like the atmosphere of the Collosus and the familiar faces aboard it. There is a bit too much filler at times, but it's nice to have a show that feels a little more rooted.

6. ScorpioGirl

ScorpioGirl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    I have a question: if this was meant for young audiences and simpler than the other shows, then why did they add darker and edgier aspects/concepts like hints that Kaz's dad is in the First Order (or at the very least emotionally abusive and controlling) and Yeager's brother killing his family?

7. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Good point, not really sure as it seems they really wanted to address Kaz's family with his father being a FO sympathizer/overruling parent type, but went away from the story. It would have given the show its darker tone. At least it could have been explored in place of the curse episode or some others?
    The Yeager brother story was a shocker for the tone as well. Even at the end Yeager doesn't forgive him, I was like wow. Dose of reality though.
    I went through both seasons in one week, with help from my six year old son who likes some episodes (season 1 Bibo, season 2 Orko mining) and they really are a different shade of SW. Not as exciting in grand scheme of things but once the characters develop for you, it sinks in that the show is okay. I'll at least watch some episodes every now and then.

8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

Intresting never knew of this before.

9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    oops wrong thread,[face_whistling]

10. Konrad Pietrzak

Konrad Pietrzak Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 6, 2020
    Many typical children's series also have darker threads. For example My Little PonyG1 and G4

11. Darth Baga

Darth Baga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2021
    Yeah, the target audience for Resistance is probably 6-11 years olds. It's not exactly stuff they wouldn't be able to handle anyway.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
  12. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I couldn't stomach star wars resistance. I tried but it was difficult.

Bibliora likes this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    So I finally got around to this series. Binged it all while on the treadmill. Anyway. The best part of the series is the last like 6 or 7 episodes of season 2, but the show grew on me. I liked it. What can I say I was wrong. I even got a bit choked up when they rescued Tam.

see I think a problem this show has is it’s stakes were so small. The series climax was literally destroying 1 Star destroyer. That’s it. It’s much more about just the family. But the bad batch does this leagues better. However. I still like the series a lot for what it tries to do.

now you all know I suck at grading, but if I actually try to give it a fair and even grade and don’t give it a 9/10 like I do everything.

I would give it a 7.8/10. It’s good. It’s fun.

14. This Show, the Poe Dameron Comics and the Phasma Novel are the most Underrated Works in the Disney ST Era

15. ScorpioGirl

Jan 2, 2019
    Kaz has amazing emotional and mental resilience.

I mean, not an episode of Resistance goes by when he is not made fun of, insulted, or dismissed as an idiot. I have a feeling it's been like that his whole life. Like dude gets no respect even if he pulls off heroic feats.

Oh, sure, he's glared at people who offended him and maybe even snapped at them, but through it all, he doesn't completely snap and turn to the dark side and betray everyone out of resentment and anger.

I wouldn't mind reading a fanfic where he DOES snap and go to the dark side, though.

Happy Sando likes this.
  16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Oh Kaz totally can take emotional punches all day. Pretty sure this is clearly shown especially with his father. Who I think says something along the lines of “I have gotten you everything you wanted and this is how you repay me? Working for the resistance” he says it slightly nicer than that. But that’s the gist.

his father’s kinda horrible.

Happy Sando likes this.
  17. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I'm currently rewatching this show and have to say its a much better watch this time around.

I think main issue for me, 1st time around is when you leave the high of TCW and Rebels and downgrade so badly to this its frustrating tbh. Like Rebels ended for this show? And then for couple of years it was like one of the only SW weekly content around made it even more annoying. Then add some slapstick cringe comedy and it was a drag to watch it. Also its the SW TV show that adds the least to the canon and least relevant when it comes to the history of the Galaxy.

this time watching it, its not the only SW around, so watching it casually and accepting that this show is basically part sitcom makes it more enjoyable.

I just hope in future if they ever make another show in this vein that it cannot be the main animated show. Lucasfilm currently only go with 1 main animated show at the time and Bad Batch is currently the one. Visions, Tale of Jedi, Young Jedi are just the others but they all show why they aren't the main ones, non-canon Anthology not even full lenght episodes, Tale of Jedi are basically 10-12 min shorts, and Young Jedi is for preschoolers.

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean it’s not like Rebels was canceled for Resistance. And rebels was never going to get followed up with a sequel straight away.

19. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    I'm not sure about that. I recall Filoni was like he made sure Rebels ended on his terms because he didn't want another TCW aka unfinished show. So sounds to me like whether Rebels was getting a S5 or not was up in the air and he likely didn't want to gamble on it. A lot of cartoon tv shows, its all over the place tbh when it comes to renewals and a lot of times its up in the air whether a show will get more seasons or not. Animation renewal is less predictable than Live Action too. Remember that Rebels was on TV there was no DIsney+.

And Disney seemed keen for some ST era content too and SW since TCW has always had only 1 main animated show at the time, no room for 2.

for Resistance at least they supposedly got to tell their full story as they wanted to end leading up to IX.

20. ScorpioGirl

Jan 2, 2019
    Which they did a crap job of. Thanks to TROS' troubled production and backstage drama, they didn't know how TROS was going to turn out, so they didn't lead into it at all. They could have had Palpatine's message at the very end with Kaz, Neeku, Tam, Torra, etc all looking around in confusion and Yeager and the Dozas looking at each other in horror as if to say "Oh, crap!", but noooo. They had to include Palps' message in fortnite.

starocean90 likes this.
  21. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    honestly I personally don't buy it tbh. The show was likely canceled and they were trying to save face and act like they got to do the whole story. And they were like we didn't want to go into IX and post IX. But the show's ending always felt unfinished because it is. How do you end a story about a War during the War???

at this point, I feel like all Disney SW animation seems to have issues.
    -TCW=canceled and then revived due to fans and Filoni wanting to finish story
    -Rebels=Filoni ended it on his terms as he didn't want it to end up like TCW. Revived with Ahsoka
    -Resistance=pretty messy end
    -Bad Batch=I feel like I don't 100% buy that they always intended on 3 seasons. For one, an almost 2 year gap between S1 and S2 is way way way too big for an animated show and this likely hurt the show too.

shows under Disney are getting shorter between 2-4 seasons is too quick, Guess that's what happens when you only do 1 mainline animated show at a time.

22. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    Resistance was canned thanks to the launch of Disney+ and them shifting focus to work on The Mandalorian; there were SEVERAL plotlines left unanswered, and had it kept going, they probably could've filled in the year between TLJ and TROS with something to help make the ST slightly more interesting

BigAl6ft6 and starocean90 like this.
  23. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    yeah, ratings for this show were really bad stuff and likely didn't sell much toys/merchandise. Animated TV shows on tv itself tend to be linked with toy sells too. Plenty of shows got renewals due to toy sales. On top of that majority of fan reactions was lukewarm to -, not much to build on.

I do agree that a 3rd season should have been made to really end the Series and to boost the ST a bit. Oh well since we know that the Colossus was at the Battle of Exegol, then we at least know what the endgame for the show ended up being.

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Resistance tends to rerun on Saturday and Sunday night on Disney XD in Canada and I always end up watching some of it whenever it's on so the show is still pretty fresh for me

25. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I don’t doubt resistance was cancelled. But I do have some problems with your theory on the bad batch. Season 2 set up the third season to be the last pretty dang well. Plus if it was cancelled they wouldn’t have done a third season. That’s not how this works. If season 1’s numbers weren’t good enough they would have just cancelled it after season 2 cliff hanger or no.

Unlike with TCW. We have no clue how profitable or unprofitable it is.

But I can say this with confidence. Season 1 was profitable enough to have a season 2 be greenlit. As season 3 would not have gone into animation or anything beyond early concepts and scripts by the time season 1 finished.

Tantiss has always felt like end game there and if it hasn’t for you I feel like we have been watching two very different shows.

but Resistance was cancelled. I feel like someone high up in the show admitted that. I’ll dig around

edit: can’t find it.

but what I did find out is that Justin ridge he directed Rookies in TCW and Zero Hour 1 and 2 in Rebels.

he also came over from The Last airbender with Dave Filoni. Neat.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2023