main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Book Collectors Corner

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by PadmeLeiaJaina, Apr 28, 2022.

1. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    wobbits and Jedi Knight88 like this.
  2. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    Thanks for the info!!

3. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Finished "Aftermath: Life Debt" last night. Started "Empire's End."

Jedi Knight88 likes this.
  4. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
    I hope you like it:)

5. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I finished my Claudia Gray book "The Murder of Mr. Wickham" - what a delightful book. I really can see this done up as a film. In her author notes Claudia talks about being a Jane Austen fan and once had a party w/ friends that was all Jane Austen based. She met her husband there.

Now I am onto "Shadow of the Sith." Still working on "Empire's End" also.

Dannik Jerriko likes this.
  6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    My copy of Shadow came from Amazon UK today. It's next on my reading list.

PadmeLeiaJaina likes this.
  7. Darth Majestic

Darth Majestic Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 18, 2020
    So... born in 1974, saw Star Wars in theaters(original release) in '77. One of my earliest memories for sure. I began collecting books that year. I got the Star Wars Storybook for Christmas. I now have a library well over 2,000 books. I had all of the EU bought and read before the Disney acquisition. Have most of the recent books published under Disney as well, just haven't read most of those. I have all sorts of books though. Classics, mysteries, fiction/non-fiction, best-sellers, biographies/auto-biographies, reference materials...
    I have filled 11 bookshelves, and have about 25 boxes of books stashed. Nothing beats the smell and feel of published book paper lol.
    I would have to say my copy of Canterbury Tales is probably one of my most prized books to me. I also have my hardcover set of the Thrawn Trilogy that I cherish. Right now the set I want most is that darn Game of Thrones series that Martin hasn't finished yet.
    I'd like to mention the "Inheritance Cycle" the 4 book set that didn't turn into a great movie series. Eragon was the first book and way better than the movie of the same name. Hopefully that one gets a re-boot. Anyway the books are definitely worth a read

8. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
    I have a ton of books but you have more oh well I am happy with what I have:)

Vialco and Darth Majestic like this.
  9. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Finished "Empire's End" this weekend. That trilogy would've gone a lot faster if it had been written in a normal style. I read somewhere online a poor guy who English wasn't his first language and he said it was extremely difficult for him to read the Aftermath trilogy. Seriously, Star Wars should always be easy to read.

I enjoyed it. The giant moment at the end of the final battle would've been amazing to see on film. I'm about 1/2 way through "Shadow of the Sith." I did like that towards the end of Empire's End we got the first glimpse of who the girl is behind the mask. There were some nice tie ins with this trilogy and the new book.

Vialco likes this.
  10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I finished Shadows the other night - really enjoyed it. Might have to do a re-read at some point. I'd like to see more SW stories from the author.

Vialco and Jedi Knight88 like this.
  11. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
    I agree it is a great book

12. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I was browsing books on eBay and a seller offered me the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy for £5. I snapped it up. I haven’t read the series, but I’ll give it a try sometime.

Vialco likes this.
  13. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I missed it for $18 because it's up to $30. Target has the same book for $17.

14. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    That trilogy gets mixed reviews in Lit. I think it depends on if you're a Fett (and other bounty hunters) fan or not. I enjoyed the series - have reread it more than a few times.

15. Dannik Jerriko

Sep 12, 2017
    That’s good to know. Although, I’ve heard a few criticisms, I still wanted to give it a try. I always liked the bounty hunters, so I’m going in with an open mind.

16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    It's not just the hunters - there are some good scenes with Vader, Palpy, and Prince Xizor of Black Sun as well.

Jedi Knight88 and Dannik Jerriko like this.
  17. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I finished reading that trilogy earlier this year. It’s really underrated and I have very fond memories of it. I actually ended up buying the hardcover omnibus of that series and it’s so nice to have them all in one book. I actually started collecting the old SFBC hardcovers last year and as expensive and difficult to find as they are, they’re very nice to have. Some of those are extremely rare, there’s a few I have no hope of actually finding. But all the ones I loved, I have in my primary bookcase.

Dannik Jerriko and Jedi Knight88 like this.
  18. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
    Yeah those can be really rare. I also have the bounty hunter wars in my to buy or at least try to buy

Vialco and Dannik Jerriko like this.
  19. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    FYI - Forbidden Planet in the UK has their publisher Panini press is printing and selling the IDC High Republic Adventures comics in larger format. They are going to produce Vol 3 that will come out in Fall that should lnclude the "Monster at Temple Peak" also. I'm waiting on a shipping quote to the US from them. I ordered those and 2 of the Clone Wars old DH comics that I'm missing to complete the set of 9 of those.

Not my photo

[​IMG]

Dannik Jerriko and Jedi Knight88 like this.
  20. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
    They look awesome

21. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I like that the UK version for V2 has a different cover.

Oh and my copy of "Padawan" shipped! Woot!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
    Jedi Knight88 likes this.
  22. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
    I am looking to buy Padawan pretty soon

23. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Took a little reading break but am back into working on "Shadow of the Sith". Also working on "The Clone Wars: Stories of Light and Dark."

So many people complain about the new canon. Sheesh, comics do this all of the time, they reboot stories like every 5-10 years. Some of the books, like the Prequel era books I feel can be read together and it doesn't make much of a difference if they're Legacy or Canon. I raced through a bunch of Clone Wars books earlier this year, then decided I wanted to save some of them and moved onto the New canon post-ROTJ era. Finished the "Aftermath" trilogy and the first "Alphabet Squadron" book. Also read a few of the Young readers "On the journey to....(enter the sequel name)" books.

I for one like the sequels. I don't love them, but with more viewings I enjoy them more. Mostly because I do like the characters. I love Rey, Finn, Poe, Rose, and Leia. I'm not a Ben fan. AKA no Reylo shipper here. I wish these films had been held off. I wish LFL could've had the idea for "Rogue One" as their film to produce out the gate and then maybe "Solo" so that they could've given the sequels their proper due time to fully flesh the storyline out. Of course we might've lost Carrie and never had her in the sequels at all which would've been worse. The sequels were rushed and are filled w/ plot holes. The novels are working hard to try to fill in those plot holes in. We need more stories set between ROTJ and TFA with our heroes to understand the landscape that led to TFA.

I'm a little over 1/2 way through "Shadow" and I'm enjoying it. I like seeing a younger Luke and Lando than who we saw in the sequels, yet both are somewhat hardened and a world weary being what 16 years or so beyond ROTJ.

The original films were groundbreaking because they looked lived in, the books dive quite a lot into the psychological effects of surviving war. The first "Alphabet Squadron" dove really deep into that topic. I still need to read the other 2, but I enjoyed that about the book. The "Aftermath" books had Temmin and his mother at odds for her abandoning him to go into the fight to try to find her husband. You see this in "Shadow" also. Luke is rather focused on his mission to rebuild the Jedi and is single-mindedly focused on understanding the past, Lando tries to keep up his cool facade that he's shrouded himself in for years, but the man is broken on the inside. For Luke he's fully embraced the Jedi way and has let his personal attachments, even to those closest to him fall away. He admits that he's been wrong to let that happen. But it does lay the groundwork for him fully disengaging himself by TFA from everyone.

I really do enjoy seeing our heroes as people, not just ideals. I hope we get more novels in this in between era so they continue to build up what happened that led to our OT heroes being separated in the films.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
  24. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I wasn’t tracking “Padawan” at all. Just found it at Target. Hopefully I can start it this weekend.

25. Dannik Jerriko

Sep 12, 2017
    I’m not a huge Sequel Trilogy fan. I enjoyed The Force Awakens and I think there’s a lot of positives in The Last Jedi, but The Rise of Skywalker is easily my least favourite Star Wars movie (there’s still elements that I enjoy). I read the Aftermath trilogy a few years ago and I liked Rae Sloane as a character. I also enjoyed the dynamic between Temmin, his mother and Wedge. That said, I didn’t care for Chuck Wendig’s writing style.

I’m actually glad that we have a new canon as well as the old EU (Legends). I like that authors have a different timeline to work in and this has led to some of my favourite Star Wars books. My only complaint is that Legends is no longer active. I know it won’t happen, but I would like to see the occasional new novel in the Legends timeline.