main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Jabba´s denizens

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Ithorians, Jul 1, 2022.

1. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    So... so, so. When I was little I was beyond amazed by the Jabba´s Palace scenes in ROTJ. I found the guards and members of Jabba´s court intriguing and fantastic, and I could imagine a thousand ways they would deal with each other. So I searched for a thread to talk about your favorite denizens of Jabba´s Palace and found none!

I imagine Jabba and Boba Fett are mostly the favorite ones, but I was in awe by three in particular: the gamorrean guards, Bib Fortuna, and Tessek. Ree Yees (well, some Gran) getting recurrent as antagonists in the Dark Forces series also made him a main character in my mind [face_laugh]. So, do you have a weird alien, sobbing caretaker, doomed dancer or sadistic droid you particularly love for mysterious reasons?

[​IMG]

2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    As a little kid, I was extremely fond of Max Rebo. I didn't even know his name or anything about him - I just loved the idea of a blue musical elephant man.

3. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    Same here! In fact I used to imagine scenarios where he would escape the Sail Barge, because it saddened me to think he would perish there. Funnily enough, many future Star Wars content creators apparently did the same.

4. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Yeah, i still need to smile whenever i see him on the screen

Ithorians likes this.
  5. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I need to watch ROTJ soon to refresh my memory but I can't wait till the next A Certain POV book. They did some cool stuff in the cantina in ANH, so it'll probably be just as good.

Ithorians likes this.
  6. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    Ooo, I've only read the ESB one, did they had stories in the vein of Tales from the Mos Eisley cantina in the ANH one?

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yes, they did.

Ithorians likes this.
  8. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    Yea, I can't remember who all they covered since it was a while ago but it was done well. I'd totally check it out.

Ithorians likes this.
  9. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    *Starts looking for it while writing this post*

*Also starts getting excited about the ROTJ one* Will Ephant Mon get a reference? Were the quarren and gran hanging with Bib Fortuna in the post credit scene, in fact, Tessek and Ree Yees? Will the twi`lek killed by Boba Fett be revealed to be Firith Olan, so we get a "somehow, Bib Fortuna returned" moment later on? Oooo the possibilities!

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I’d love it they connect Tessek to Tikkes (the Separatist leader of the same species). Maybe Tessek was Tikkes’s accountant and fled to Tatooine and turned to a life of crime after Tikkes’s death?

Ithorians likes this.
  11. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    Yea, the ROTJ one should one should be good. They're really cool anthologies and I can only imagine what they'll do on Endor or in Jabba's palace as but 2 locales.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
    Ithorians and darklordoftech like this.
  12. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    That would be great! They were meant to be one and the same at some point, right?

I always have a problem picturing Tessek as an accountant, though [face_laugh]. Until Tales, I figured he was second after Bib Fortuna in the palace hierarchy, being a sort of ambassador/envoy for Jabba. He's perfect for some light development, I think, because he is equally depicted as scurrying away from action and having little problem to use his gun, apparently loyal yet scheming to murder Jabba himself.

Maybe he just wanted to join the band!

[​IMG]

darklordoftech likes this.
  13. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    By the way, is it known by now if Max is still alive after Boba Fett Season 1?

whostheBossk and Ithorians like this.
  14. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    I'm very fond of Bidlo Kwerve's skull . It saved Luke's life.

And Ghoel the Wol Cabas****e, hanging from the ceiling fascinates and terrifies me to this day.

Edit: I can't even write the species name without it getting starred out, lol.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
    Ithorians and Subtext Mining like this.
  15. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    Haha, that's a strange alien, no doubt.

Oh, and poor Bidlo indeed. Bib Fortuna was the very definition of rough competition!

Nom von Anor likes this.
  16. C.Roach

C.Roach Jedi Knight star 2

May 3, 2018
    The Gamorrean Guards, Squid Head and Ree-Yees are my favourites. Loved the KENNER figures (didn't have Ree-Yees). The Gamorrean Guard is still my favourite KENNER RETURN OF THE JEDI action-figure to this day.

I wish KENNER had also made the green-skinned 'Star Fish' and the furry 'Mole' aliens, seen in the OP's pic.

Bubo, the frog dog would've been good with the KENNER Jabba play-set, in addition to Salacious B. Crumb.

17. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    I was thinking about what you said. It's curious enough that, to this day, we have only one 3.75 figure of an Ishi Tib, and it was neither in a vintage packaging nor the character from Jabba´s Palace! Curious that those "starfish" characters are not a bit more famous, considering the one from Jabba´s court is prominent in the Luke tvc card.

About the mole one (Tanus Spijek?) I think I missed him as a child, since it's a pretty nice design and didn't seem to recognize him when I first saw him outside of the movie. J`Quille´s huge face is harder to disguise in a crowd, though :D.

whostheBossk and C.Roach like this.
  18. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I remember perceiving Jabba's palace as a quite scary place when I first watched ROTJ in the mid-1990s.

19. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    Reading these OT threads makes me sad for where Star Wars is at now...

C.Roach likes this.
  20. C.Roach

May 3, 2018
    It was incredible seeing it on the big screen in 1983 (I turned eleven years-old that year). The Jabba the Hutt portion of the film is still my favourite part of JEDI.

I had some fun freeze-framing the Jabba Palace material, to get a better look at the background creatures, when the film was finally released on videotape in 1986.

I was happy to find out that Bossk & Dengar had also returned.

21. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    Good to know I wasn't the only one doing that [face_laugh]. I must admit, as a kid I watched the Jabba´s scenes a lot, and it was scary indeed! It was also an explosion of creativity, sounds and shapes and colours, to see these amazing beings coming from all corners of the galaxy to join this terrible gangster... it was an absolute wonder to be able to perceive all of this in such a young age.

I think one of the things that was enduring from that experience, was this idea that (except for Vader) no main character is usually the focus to me. They all have a special place in my heart, but I always end up drifting towards antagonists and secondary, minor characters that capture my imagination. The whole message of Star Wars certainly was hugely important for me at an early age, but it was a bit later, when I began to see deeper and deeper in the complexities of the Force and it's users...

C.Roach and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  22. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Jabba came to Darth Plagueis' frightening castle, and he was like, "I like this place!" If memory serves, the invited him to his own palace on Tatooine. Plagueis and Jabba actually respected each other, and Jabba helped Plagueis escape before Veruna and his shady, terrible allies nuked Plagueis' crib. In the EU, Jabba is a criminal genius. In the films, there's none of that.

I believe in the EU, 3PO tells R2 that everyone in Jabba's palace intents to murder someone else. Of course, Luke rolled up in there and handled Jabba's thugs and rancor like a boss. Well, Boba Fett enjoyed hanging out there, so the place can't be all bad. Ha ha.

I recall reading about Rystall. Interesting and beautiful character. Even so, mysterious Fett be the ladies' man.

23. MisterJedi2002

MisterJedi2002 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2017
    Edit: Please delete this message, I posted it in the wrong topic.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
  24. C.Roach

May 3, 2018
    I was always fascinated by the various weird alien beings that populate that far away galaxy.

Ithorians and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  25. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    Oh, but you know, there was a scene from Jabba in ROTJ I liked very much. While other kids around me seemed to wonder about the power of a being that seems barely able to move (or assumed he was very physically strong, anyway) I remember that question being answered quite early in my incipient fandom: it was that scene when Luke tries to mind trick Jabba, only for him to laugh in response. I love the message that Jabba isn't so strong because of being fast, or acrobatic, or impervious to damage: he is above all intelligent, and cunning, to the point where he can "see things" other wouldn't (like Leia trying to rescue Han).

Like the Emperor, Jabba´s powers are not physical, but are great nonetheless. It's their arrogance and overconfidence, the results of being in power for so long that they lost all empathy and humility, what ultimately defeats them.