main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph James Cameron's Avatar (The Way of Water + sequels)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Clonuscant, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I don't think any of the recent 3-hour movies relied heavily on 3D as part of the appeal.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Alternate headline: "Cameron tells haters to piss-off".

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
    Glitterstimm, Darth Punk and Thena like this.
  3. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    In a bold marketing move, James Cameron launches a preemptive sweary salvo at critics of his upcoming movie’s three hour runtime.

WARNING, LANGUAGE:
    “I don’t want anybody whining about length when they sit and binge-watch [television] for eight hours,” Cameron told the magazine. “I can almost write this part of the review. ‘The agonizingly long three-hour movie…’ It’s like, give me a ****ing break. I’ve watched my kids sit and do five one-hour episodes in a row. Here’s the big social paradigm shift that has to happen: it’s okay to get up and go pee.”

The way of water. Lolz.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Considering how much movie tickets cost, I'm not taking a chance on missing the coolest moment of the story by walking out without being able to pause the action. If you're going to make movies that are too long for the average bladder, bring back intermissions.

5. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Didn’t Tarantino put one in one of his movies?

6. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Remember George Lucas never planned to heavily supervise and run the show. When the Empire Strikes Back got into serious production problems Lucas had no choice but to throw in. Knowing Lucasfilm wouldn’t survive a second production like Empire required George to be heavily involved with Jedi.

I think James Cameron is being a smart showman saying we might not get Avatars 4 & 5. That leaves the audience wanting more before they even get more. Also it’s sort of daunting for an audience and invites backlash to push 4 movies from the start.

7. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah, the roadshow version of The Hateful Eight had one.

Darth Punk likes this.
  8. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    He seems to be missing the pretty glaring difference between binging a TV show (or even watching a long film) at home and watching a film at a cinema - at home you can hit the pause button at your leasure. He says "it's okay to get up and pee", but I wouldn't want to miss anything just because I need to go to the loo.

9. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    He comes across like a dick

Bor Mullet and Sarge like this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    yah I've heard Judd Apatow (who makes 2 and half hour comedies on average) compare binge watching to longer movies but honestly the setting, personal comfort and ability to, y'know, pause and not miss anything makes them pretty awful comparisons. He's basically saying go ahead and miss a chunk of the movie which goes against it being that long.

Anyway that's just gripes, this quote I think is more relevant about Cameron's view on what the box office benchmark should be

"If we did 20 per cent or 30 per cent less because the market simply doesn't exist anymore, that would be bad."

Honestly, I think he's overshooting it on it's box office return being "bad" at 20 or 30 percent less. I mean Avatar made 2.84 billion dollars. Less 50% would still be a billion, that's great! Even 900 million, still great! 800 million, maybe a slightly raised eyebrow but still like fairly great. 700 million, people will probably start freaking out but it's also 700 million fer crissakes.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  11. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Who goes to the cinema to watch Judd Apatow movies?

12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    The poor man is confused because he has a personal theater. "Let them eat cake" = "Let them pee"

13. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    What? You poors don't have these?

[​IMG]

Thena and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  14. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    No, but does James Cameron have this?
    [​IMG]

15. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    The surround sound bounces off that oven like nothing else. Makes ya feel right there on Pandora.

16. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    He always has, so shouldn’t be a surprise.

Also, Cameron is a good technician/ craftsman, but a really mediocre artist, in my view. And he’s sensitive about that. So when his artistry is criticized, he gets super defensive. And often preemptively dickish, as he does here. I never understood the lionization of Cameron, and never will.
    What a blowhard. As if he has even an ounce of the creative talent Tolkien had.
    One of the finest questions I’ve ever seen on these boards. The answer is that there are people who do it, but psychologists and other social scientists have no idea why.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
    Sarge likes this.
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    He's just making a structural/process comparison. I doubt even he would claim his work is on Tolkien's level. But people use LOTR as a point of comparison all the time. Hobbit vs LOTR was used to contextualize what Chronicles of Riddick was envisioned to be in relation to Pitch Black, for instance. It's all just nerds-turned-filmmakers/actors referencing what they know.

18. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Still have yet to see a single image that makes me really at all interested in this. Not a single "I need this in my eyeballs now" moment. Maybe he's saving the **** for the next trailer. So far, yeah, the sea life imagery, and water, and all the Navi, looks nice n all...but....I dunno.

It's still a big ol' shrug for me.

Sarge likes this.
  19. Dr Silva

Dr Silva Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 23, 2021
    Well 20 years ago i could sit in a 3 hour Lord of the Rings films without going to bathroom , no way would i be able to see Return of the King today in theatre without going to bathroom twice maybe 3 times lol

Count Yubnub likes this.
  20. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    He should rename this film The Way of Piss

21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah, but he's just so annoyingly arrogant about having had to "write the books first!"

His ego gets in the way of the truth of the matter: he's making a bunch of Fern Gully in Space with Big Cats movies.

Sarge likes this.
  22. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I have actually seen Fern Gully, dear, and I'll tell you, Avatar is no Fern Gully!

Count Yubnub likes this.
  23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I’m actually starting to want to see it just because Cameron seems to annoy Bor so much. :p

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    He’s just remarking on the size of the endeavor that may not be readily apparently on the surface. He also might not be exaggerating- he had talked about writing (or co-writing) a novelization of the first film to elaborate on the world as a foundation for the world/story building of the sequels (though this was also something he was coordinating for the storytelling in the theme park too).

But saying “I’m treating this large project like an adaptation of an existing novel. Of course, that means I basically need to write the novels too.” isn’t really arrogance, just describing the scope of the work involved.

“it’s not just the whales. It’s the water.”

25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah, I know. He just annoys me. ;)

He’d be less annoying if his creations were actually impressive. But they’re just so cliched, derivative and mediocre. That makes his self-aggrandizement much worse.

Lucas has a claim to beings genius creator, as does Tolkien. Cameron is miles below that level.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
    Sarge likes this.