main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge September is WIP Month! (Finish WIPs, get colors!)—It’s On!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Findswoman , Aug 24, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Hey, everybody! Guess what...
    WIP Month Is Back!
    [​IMG]
    (Previous WIP Months: February 2020, June 2020, April 2021, October 2021)

So, what is it?
    A challenge for finishing (or at least making progress on) WIPs, of course! The concept is adapted from the WIPtober challenge hosted each October by http://wipweek.tumblr.com. Participants commit to getting a certain amount done on their WIPs, report regularly on their progress, and then share their completed work at the end of the month so we all can enjoy it! Plus, in JCF’s WIP Months, you can also support your fellow writers by committing to review a certain number of the WIPs being worked on. And you get rewarded for either!

This September 2022, we’re going to take the same approach as we did in our April 2021 and October 2021 WIP Months: writers will be able to choose any combination of small goals, medium goals, and/or large goals from the list below, depending on what they feel they can manage. Here are your options:

Small Goals
    100: Write 100 words on a given WIP.
    300: Write 300 words on a given WIP.
    500: Write 500 words on a given WIP.
    Scene: Finish a certain scene in a given WIP.

Medium Goals
    1000: Write 1000 words on a given WIP.
    2000: Write 2000 words on a given WIP.
    Finish Chapter: Finish a chapter, post, or other major section's worth of writing in a given WIP.
    Finish One-Shot: Finish a given single-chapter WIP.

Large Goals
    5000+: Write 5000 or more words on a given WIP.
    Finish Multiple One-Shots: Finish more than one single-chapter WIP.
    Finish Multi: Finish a given multichapter WIP!

Sounds great! How do I take part?
    Easy-peasy! First, post in this thread before 11:59 pm (23:59) PST on August 31 specifying which small, medium, or large goals you choose to take on for WIP Month. You may choose any number of goals, and they can be from more than one of the size categories! For example...
    • Writer1 chooses a Scene in order to finish the cantina scene of "Story1." They also take a 200 for "Story2."
    • Writer2 opts for a 100 on "Tale1," another 100 on "Tale2," and a Finish One-Shot on "Tale3."
    • Writer3 takes a Chapter to finish chapter 10 of "Epic1" and a Finish Multi on "Epic2."
    • And Writer4 goes with a 300 on “Triple-Drabble-O-Rama."
    I’ll add the relevant to the challenge index below (post #2). After that, it’s kind of like a word race: you can report on your progress throughout the month, and I’ll update the challenge index with that information accordingly. As you go, you may share links to the works or chapters of works you finish. Links of works whose goals have been achieved will be shown in bold in the index.

How do I take part as a reviewer?
    That's easy-peasy, too. Simply post in this thread before August 31 specifying how many of your fellow participants’ WIP stories you commit to reviewing during the month of April. (You don’t need to specify which specific WIPs, just a number.) I’ll add you to the reviewers’ portion of the challenge index. Then, when you post one of your reviews, share the link in this thread, and I’ll record it in the list.

(Please note: your review has to be on one of the stories from the writers’ challenge index in post 2 for it to count. Also, you’re committing to reviewing a certain number of individual stories, not to writing a certain number of reviews. Reviewing different chapters of the same story unfortunately doesn’t count.)

Are there prizes?
    Yes, most definitely! They are, of course, different depending on which type of goal you take on.
    • For each small or medium goal you achieve, the relevant story will be promoted in a special edition of the Reader’s Choice thread at the beginning of October 2022, in celebration of the wonderful work that I know will be done during this WIP Month! :D
    • For each large goal you achieve, you will receive 72 hours of colors! (Thank you mods for allowing this once again!)
    • If you participate as a reviewer, you will receive 24 hours of colors for every five (5) reviews you write.

Please Note:
    1. The deadline for signing up, for both writers and reviewers, is August 31. (So you have a little over ten days from the posting of this OP.)
    2. Any member of JCF may sign up, but please don’t sign up both yourself and a sock. Honor system, and all that.
    3. You may sign up as a writer, a reviewer, or both.
    4. Those signing up as writers may sign up for any number of goals, of any type. (E.g., “I commit to writing 300 words on ‘Meet Padawan McGillicuddy,’ writing 500 words on ‘Padawan McGillicuddy’s Bad Day,’ and finishing ‘Padawan McGillicuddy’s Epic Multichapter Adventure.’”)
    5. This challenge only counts work done on WIPs during the month of September. Again, honor system.
    6. MOOIE, MOOIE IMPORTANT: If you are participating as a writer, whichever goals you choose, you may NOT add WIPs to the challenge index after August 31. (This is to encourage people to stick with the stories they commit to at the beginning of the challenge. It kind of defeats the purpose if people can just add whatever extra plot bunnies happen to pop into their minds during the month of September.)
    7. The maximum amount of colors anyone can win is one week’s worth, whether you are signed up as a writer, a reviewer, or both.
    8. If you end up not being able to keep your full commitment for any reason at all, don’t worry! Just do what you can, because you can still win and be recognized—and have a good time while you’re at it, which is the main thing! :)
    9. Any further questions, feel free to ask right here in the thread!

Good luck, and may the WIPs be with you!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
  2. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Index of Participants and Goals
    Completed goals will be checked off with a check mark (√).​

Writers

Mira Grau
    devilinthedetails
    amidalachick
    • Small: 300 words on I'll Stand By You Always
    • √Medium: 2000 words on Through These Tangled Threads of Light | 2078
    • Small: 300 words on untitled unposted "Peaches"-verse fic
    • Small: 300 words on Dream Theme response (tentatively titled Radio Nowhere)
    • Medium: Finish Chapter: Finish a chapter of untitled unposted 'honeymoon’ fic
    • Large: Finish Multiple One-Shots: Finish Haiku Challenge response and at least one untitled unposted oneshot
    • Large: Finish Multi: Finish prompt ficlet collection from April 2021
    Findswoman
    • √Medium: Finish one-shot: "Cards against Monotony" (Rebels Minibang story)
    • Small: Scene of untitled Honor Guard ball story for the Lasan Series
    • Small: 300 words on a response to Pandora's Baroque Music Challenge
    • Small: 300 words on The Book of Gand
    Mira_Jade
    • Medium: 2000 words on From Such Infinite Space | 2000
    • Medium: Finish Chapter: Now You're a Home
    • Medium: Finish the first chapter of my Michaelmas story in Love Betters What is Best
    • Medium: Finish OTP Challenge #26: Double Date vignette
    • Large: Finish multiple Mini-Games Challenge vignettes (Uncle Iroh Quote Roulette, Story Cube Challenge, Baroque Music Challenge)
    Kahara
    • Small: 500 words on Drifters and Stardust (unposted)
    • √Small: Scene: finish untitled unposted drabble set for my new drabble thread (unposted) | Breakaway (part of Gazing at the Distant Lights)
    • Medium: 1000 words on the unfinished prompts on Twin Suns Bed & Breakfast and Other Stories
    • Medium: 1000 words on an untitled unposted multichapter story | 898
    • Medium: 2000 words on Cloud Nine (unposted)
    • Medium: Finish chapter on another untitled unposted multichapter story | 1070
    Raissa Baiard
    ViariSkywalker
    vader_incarnate
    • Medium: 2000 words on On the Creation of Monsters
    • Medium: 1000 words on untitled one-shot for Xena quote mini-game | 1905
    • Medium: 1000 words on untitled Mara prequel of Inversion | 205
    • √Medium: Finish Anakin one shot | Mourning
    • √Large: Finish Black Knight, Black King (11,661)
    earlybird-obi-wan
    Gamiel
    Gabri_Jade
    • Large: 5000+ words on Reclamation | 5004
    • Large: 5000+ words on Coming Home | 5055
    WarmNyota_SweetAyesha
    Pandora
    Reviewers
    devilinthedetails: 5 | 5 (On the Creation of Monsters, From Such Infinite Space, We Have Drabbles, Two Twins, The Book of Gand)
    amidalachick: 10 | 5 (That Which Is Timeless, X Marks the Spot,
    Two Twins, Keepsake Bouquets, Anticipating Two Milestones)
    Findswoman: 5 | 5 (We Have Drabbles, Two Twins, Anticipating Two Milestones, Swish Zziing Swish Zziing Zzziiiing, Sacrifice)
    Mira_Jade: 10 | 10 (Enter the Drabble, Reclamation, Keepsake Bouquets, oA World of Strange Wonders, Beneath the Gods of the Bright Sky, Sacrifice, On the Creation of Monsters, Anticipating 2 Milestones, Through These Tangled Threads of Light,Mourning)
    Kahara: 5 | 5 (From Such Infinite Space, Anticipating Two Milestones, The Wrong Side of History, The Price of Victory, Diary of a Very Sympathetic Padawan)
    WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: 10 | 10 (Reclamation, I Conquer Ba Sing Se, From Such Infinite Space, On the Creation of Monsters, X Marks the Spot, We Have Drabbles, Sacrifice, Enter the Drabble, Two Twins, A World of Strange Wonders)
    Gabri_Jade: 5 | 5 (Enter the Drabble, From Such Infinite Space, On the Creation of Monsters, Sacrifice, Mourning)
    earlybird-obi-wan: 5 | 5 (Reclamation, That Which Is Timeless, From Such Infinite Space, We Have Drabbles, On the Creation of Monsters)
    ViariSkywalker: 5 | 5 (From Such Infinite Space, On the Creation of Monsters, Reclamation, We Have Drabbles, Mourning)
    vader_incarnate: 5 | 5 (Sacrifice, Enter the Drabble, Reclamation, From Such Infinite Space)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2023
  3. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
  4. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Ooh, so happy to see this event is happening again[face_party]

It's always an excellent motivation for me to get working on my WIP's and turn some of my plot bunnies into stories. As well as to review stories from my wonderful fellow writers. So a big thank you to @Findswoman for hosting it again. @};-

Now, it is time for me to set my overly-ambitious goals in true devilinthedetails fashion.

Large Writing Goals:

1. Write 5000+ words in my Azula diary: I Conquer Ba Sing Se and Other Earth Kingdom Adventures
    2. Finish multiple oneshots
    3. Finish my multi-chapter Izumi fic: Fire in Her Veins

Medium Writing Goals:

1000 words on my Bant diary: Diary of a Very Sympathetic Padawan
    2000 words on my High Republic era fic: Everywhere Peace, Everywhere Serenity
    Finish a chapter for my Qui-Gon diary: The Ground Quakes and Trembles

Reviewer Goals:

Submit 5 reviews for stories from other authors participating in this event!

I don't expect to meet all my goals since I am being very ambitious and biting off more than I can chew, but I know that I will have fun as always and make some progress on my WIPs and support other authors which is all that matters in the end:cool:

Thanks again to @Findswoman for hosting[:D]

5. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Our first two participants, awesome! :D Thank you so much, @Anedon and @devilinthedetails —I've got you in the index now. Hopefully everything there looks correct!

6. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Looks good to me:cool:

7. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Me too :)

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    In complete contradiction to my username, I believe in all of you.

9. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    You big ol' softie, you. Don't worry - we know that fanficers are your favorites, and your secret is safe with us. [face_mischief]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    You are. Just don't tell the others.

11. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    We might need to rename you A Chorus of Approval[face_laugh]

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    It wouldn't work. I clearly only approve of this one thing.

13. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    If I want to work towards a goal on a WIP I started in 2010 and was truncated, should I repost the story and thread before signing up? [face_worried]

14. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    It’s up to you—either way is fine. There’s no requirement that anything be posted already in order to participate—it’s just the same as working on a not-yet-posted WIP. :)

15. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    Quoting because this sums up my feelings about this event too! I'm so excited to see it back, and as always, many thanks to @Findswoman for running it. :)

I feel like I've hardly written at all this year, and if all goes well (*crosses fingers*) September is going to be a busy month, but I really want to try and chip away at some writing and reading again. So I'm going to start with just a couple of goals and see how ambitious I feel by August 31. :p

Reviews: 10

Small Goals

300 words on I'll Stand By You Always

Medium Goals

2000 words on Through These Tangled Threads of Light

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
  16. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Hooray! Thanks for signing up, @amidalachick ; got you in the index now. Always a joy to see more takers! And you and @devilinthedetails are very welcome—I endeavor, as Jeeves says, to give satisfaction. :D

So, here are my own goals for the coming month. The Medium one is my main priority this coming month; the three Smalls are more like "X or Y or Z" than "X and Y and Z"—I doubt I'll get all three of them in, and I'm OK with that:
    • Medium: Finish one-shot: "Cards against Monotony" (Rebels Minibang story, eventually to be shared here; it has to post on AO3 first)
    • Small: Scene of untitled Honor Guard ball story for the Lasan Series
    • Small: 300 words on a response to Pandora's Baroque Music Challenge
    • Small: 300 words on The Book of Gand (yes, that's right!)
    Plus five (5) reviews! :)

17. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    All right, then: game on WIP month! For myself, I may be a tad bit ambitious in trying to reach the following goals . . .
    • Medium: 2,000 words on From Such Infinite Space
    • Medium: Finish the next chapter of Now You're a Home (no joke - I really mean it this time!)
    • Medium: Finish the first chapter of my Michaelmas story in Love Betters What is Best
    • Medium: Finish OTP Challenge #26: Double Date vignette
    • Large: Finish multiple Mini-Games Challenge vignettes (Uncle Iroh Quote Roulette, Story Cube Challenge, Baroque Music Challenge)
    [face_mischief]

EDIT: Gosh, I almost forgot! But please sign me up for 10 reviews, too! :D

18. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Looking forward to reading and writing for this hopefully! [face_dancing] I'm going to aim for more stuff than I know I'll actually complete. Wish me luck especially on getting some of this untitled and unposted stuff pried out from the innards of my brain! :p

Small Goals:
    500 on Drifters and Stardust (unposted)
    Scene: finish untitled unposted drabble set for my new drabble thread (unposted)

Medium Goals:
    1000 words on the unfinished prompts on my old drabble thread: Twin Suns Bed & Breakfast and Other Stories [UDC IX] (yes, I'm starting a new one and yes I know I don't have to finish the old one :p )
    1000 words on an untitled unposted multichapter story (same one I've been working on before)
    2000 words on Cloud Nine (unposted)
    Finish chapter on another untitled unposted multichapter story

Reviewing Goal: 5 reviews

19. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    This is wonderful! So glad to have you on board, @Mira_Jade and @Kahara —you're in the index now, and hopefully all looks correct. :)

20. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    All right, here’s my list with a couple medium sized goals that I think I can accomplish plus a couple small stretch goals

Medium Goal: 2000 words on “We Have Drabbles
    Medium Goal: finish one shot for Dream Theme mini-game challenge
    Small goal: write 300 words on Wren/Kaz one-shot
    Small goal: write 300 words on canon Kaz one-shot.

21. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Woohoo! Got you in the index, @Raissa Baiard ; great to have you on board! :)

22. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    Okay, fine, you got me again, WIP month. :p Time to set way too many goals...

8-}

23. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
  24. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    @ Mira ... do you get extra colors? Colors squared? Clearly this doesn't actually affect my participation in this event, I'm just curious. :p

I will commit to:
    • Medium: 2000 words of drabbles in On the Creation of Monsters
    • Medium: 1000 words on untitled one-shot for Xena quote mini-game
    • Medium: 1000 words on untitled Mara prequel of Inversion
    • Large: Finish multiple one-shots (Black Knight, Black King)

25. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I get the ultimate satisfaction of a job well done! [face_mischief] (Although I do like this whole colors squared idea. I wonder what exactly that would entail. [face_thinking])

Honestly, though, awarding colors is one of the best parts of my job! Something tells me that fanfic is going to be a sight to see come the first week of October, and I can't wait. [face_dancing]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2022