main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC A Thread For Artwork Ver 2 (See first post rules before posting)

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, May 4, 2022.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Don't really see why I most see that artwork instead of something else.

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

Belshazzar's Feast (detail) by John Martin 1820

The Babylonian king Belshazzar is said to have defiled the sacred vessels of the enslaved Israelites by using them to serve wine at a banquet. The feast was then disturbed by the appearance of a divine hand which wrote a glowing inscription on a wall - the writing on the wall - which was interpreted by the prophet Daniel as portent of Belshazzar's doom. Belshazzar was killed that night and Darius the Mede succeeded to his kingdom.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

Magical Gate of Miracles by Samuraii.in

6. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Deleted at user’s request.

Reason: Wrong thread

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2022
    Sarge likes this.
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  8. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  9. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
  10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

Cityscape by Martin Parker

12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The Guardian’s 1000 Artworks You Must See Before You Die

[​IMG]

Kuba
    (2005) – Kutlug Ataman
    Media: Video Installation

This list I’m using from The Guardian is quite old; it was put together in 2008. That means that, when Kuba was selected to be on this list, it was only about three years old. That makes it, thus far, by far the newest artwork on the list.

Kuba is one of the most notorious ghettos in Istanbul, the birthplace of Turkish artist Kutlug Ataman. In this artwork, Ataman went into that ghetto and conducted interviews with 40 different residents of the ghetto, men, women, children, the elderly. These interviews ranged in length from around ten minutes to seventy minutes and simply focused on the day to day realities of the ghetto life.

The exhibit consisted of forty televisions, each with an individual chair in front of them; each television played one interview of the forty on a loop. Viewers of the exhibit were free to sit at each television in turn and experience the interviews (with English subtitles) at their full length or to wander the room, sitting here and there, catching snippets of the interviews.

This sounds really interesting to me. It’s definitely an interesting concept and I like the idea of the exhibit’s presentation. I think the videos themselves are obviously a big part of the artwork, but I suspect Ataman would say that the cacophony is part of the experience as well, the sound of forty televisions playing forty interviews all in one room at the same time. I suspect it’s kind of overwhelming in a sensory way and that’s probably what Atman is getting at, the overwhelming reality of these people and their lives, not viewed neatly and orderly on a single screen, but shouting from all over the room at the same time. I think this one would be cool to see. The videos were available online at one time, but I don’t believe they are now. But, like I say, being in the room would be such a huge part of the experience.

The above image is from what I believe is the initial exhibition in Britain in 2005.

Iron_lord and Juliet316 like this.
  17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

Destiny 2: Forsaken: Dreaming City by Dorje Bellbrook

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    (Traditional German clothing) -Snow White by Sunnypoppy on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    "As I already deduced in my "Historically Accurate Snow White", Germany is most likely her origin country and I decided to try their traditional outfits! Something a non-royal would wear! I wanted to keep her colors without destroying the traditional german aesthetic! I was surprised to see that traditionaly they had chokers xD
    The dirndl is a ruffled apron dress worn by German women that consists of a bodice, or blouse, and a skirt. In the 19th century, the dirndl was the standard uniform of servant girls, but today it is mostly worn in Bavaria and Austria."

(Traditional Scottish clothing) - Merida by Sunnypoppy on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    "Female traditional dress of Scotland consists of a tartan skirt, a tartan sash or shawl, and ghillies. Skirts can be of different length, historically they are ankle-length, but nowadays women wear knee-long or even very short tartan mini-skirts.There are also long tartan dresses.
    I saw many pictures of shawl being used in different ways, sometimes even covering the head, but I think that Merida would wear it on just one shoulder, which I think was the usuall way to do it!"

(Traditional German clothing) -Rapunzel by Sunnypoppy on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    "Another one, this time Rapunzel! I wanted to leave her barefoot since she prefers to go that way it seems!
    Also wearing Dirndl, a German national dress just like Snow White!"

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

Consider Phlebas by TudorPopa

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Sketch commissions for Trix by Inkary on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]

May-June sketch commissions by Inkary on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]

July full body sketch commissions by Inkary on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]

Is it just me that think the face is more Sailor Saturn than Mars?

That's one of those things that for me really feel "but is it an artwork", at least in the same category as the others? After all if we have that as an artwork for this kind of lists, why cant we count a movie as an artwork?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
  23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The Guardian list does have a couple of movies on it. I think it's got two feature length films and at least two short films. Which, yes, opens up some uncomfortable questions because once you put a movie on a list of the great artworks, you've opened it up to all movies and if you open it up to all movies, then why isn't *insert movie here* on the list? But then it just turns into a movie list because, let's be honest, more people love movies than love sculpture or collage or whatever. And we have enough movie lists already. So, I agree, movies shouldn't be on a list like this.

I think something like Kuba, which could be considered an "installation piece," I guess, is a little more grey area. Like I mentioned, I think the presentation is supposed to be part of the "artwork" here. And the video footage in Kuba hasn't been widely released for ownership, so it's still kind of footage that can only be experienced in that specific setting. If you could also just buy a DVD with all of the interviews on it, then I would say, yeah, it's a series of short films, not an exhibition piece. But as it stands now, it is an exhibition piece. But I could go the other way on it as well; it is right on that line where I could tip either way, depending on how I was thinking about it in the moment. But I agree that a movie or TV series definitely shouldn't be on a list like this in my opinion.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
    Gamiel likes this.
  24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012