main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kylo Ren/Adam Driver Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

Tags:
  1. TheGhostOfZero

TheGhostOfZero Jedi Master star 2

Sep 5, 2016
    There is only one living person capable of telling that story, Luke, who to him probably has the least credibility to convince him of anything.

Also, have Force Ghosts ever manifested themselves to darksiders in canon? Honest question.

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with Kylo being inspired to be like his grandfather Vader, but I do wish that they committed to his wrongdoings instead of sweeping them under the rug.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I’m not sure I would ever understand aspiring to villainy but that would be a better story than the ‘aww, he can’t help being evil, other people made him’ version that we got for Kylo.

What motivated him to be like Vader? If it was power—power to do what? We knew what Anakin wanted the power to do, at least in the PT when we were asked to understand him as opposed to viewing him as a straight up villain the way we were asked to do in the OT. With Kylo we are asked to be understanding and sympathize without giving us anything to understand or sympathize with.

3. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    All excellent questions.

4. Commander_Jim

Commander_Jim Jedi Master

Sep 25, 2011
    I blame this stuff on TLJ. The second film of a trilogy, like the second act of a play or movie, or the middle chapters of a book, like Empire Strikes Back, is typically where all the heavy lifting is done in terms of character development, motivations, backstory etc. But TLJ gave us nothing, besides the brief flashback with Luke creeping on him but Kylo had already turned to the dark side at that point anyway. By the time of Episode 9 we know basically nothing more about Kylo, what his motivations are, what made him turn to the dark side, why he was obsessed with Vader, what the Snoke dynamic was etc than we knew in Episode 7. Made his turn back to the dark side feel unearned and unsatifying since we dont know why he turned or what was driving him to begin with.

5. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I agree, though I’m also playing a bit of devil’s advocate at where TFA left the character and story vulnerable, mostly to show where TLJ went *egregiously* off reservation even accounting for that.

TFA was the first act of a third trilogy and yet also the seventh act of a nine; in that perspective, Abrams and Kasdan answering so few questions about why Kylo is the way he is and what exactly motivates him maybe be allowable in the first POV but is less tolerable in the second POV. Everyone, from the audience to LFL’s highest ranking lore experts, knew that Kylo’s family ties made his IP and concept greater than just a villain, but… it seems that some forgot that all he was in TFA was a villain.

If Rian Johnson and LFL had been concerned with and displeased with Kylo’s lack of context, clear motivations, and background, one of two things would have happened: 1) either what characterization and story Kylo *did* have would be extrapolated from to develop background and motivation, 2) Kylo’s characterization would have been retconned to fit a background and motivation introduced by the film.

When TFA’s over, Kylo’s either utterly evil or genuinely delusional and brainwashed; he can either be malevolent and evilly rational, or so irrational as to be pitiable because he’s so unwell.

He really can’t be “relatable” at all, or truly sympathetic - there’s really no way for the audience to “know what he’s going for” or take his side without doing so at the expense of other characters, unless he’s painted as brainwashed or has his characterization radically retconned.

Instead… Kylo’s still the violent sadist and dumb thug, and Ben the same entitled sociopath, he was in TFA… but treated by other characters like he’s different somehow.

6. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Whilst I’d agree that it’s typically the second act of a play where the ‘heavy lifting’ is done… the second act is usually written by the same person that writes the 1st and 3rd. Bringing in another person to write the 2nd act, when the 1st act is so narratively and thematically pedestrian and undefined is (IMO) a recipe for a creative disaster. Couple that with the fact that the 1st act ignores (and at worst undermines) the previous stories, it was never going to work well.

7. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    Yeah, if TLJ was interested in telling an actual story with Kylo in trying to present some form of development for him as a character, away from his villainous characterization, with forward momentum, I think they would've presented him as actually in conflict, after killing his dad, with the narrative he'd been fed as a brainwashed member of the First Order. If I were giving the movie the benefit of the doubt, I think it may be the idea of having Kylo try to attack Snoke so early in the movie... but the thing is: I'm not sure if the movie remembers that Kylo was ranting about how wise Snoke is and being a zealot for the first order and Snoke and all that, because it seems, to me, TLJ, basically is going by the angle that he's closer to an apprentice to a sith, than a zealot like that or whatever. Vader never has his head as firmly planted up Palpatine's butt as Kylo's is with Snoke in TFA, to my memory.

8. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    The problem with Kylo-Brainwashed (which would have been far more interesting) is that they can't just tell that story by itself. Because Finn was also brainwashed and broke his programming, well before Kylo does, it means that Finn would have had to factored in to Kylo's arc in some way. Even if just as a foreshadowing device.

TLJ takes the complete opposite view. It's so scared of Finn overshadowing Kylo, or for taking up potential romantic space that needs to be left wide open for Kylo to dominate, that is shoves him off on his own journey, with his own not-Rey love interest. TLJ doesn't want an ensemble cast. It doesn't want its A plot and B plot to interject. It doesn't care about anyone other than Kylo, and possibly Luke (but that's only because he's to blame for Kylo)

Kylo-Brainwashed would have been far too difficult to set up for the ST writers.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Kylo Brainwashed a la Bucky Barnes would have been fantastic but that would also involve not pretending that Kylo Winter Soldier is actually Kylo Bucky Barnes and if we would just look into those sad eyes we would see it and not need any back story.

10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Brainwashed Kylo would have been easy way to have the son of Han and Leia be a darksider with an easy, get out of jail free way back to the light.

It would have been an easier story to tell, because it's basically mechanical, like a switch, and can be easily diagrammed. It doesn't require any character explanation for the fall. It doesn't require flaws. It doesn't require foreshadowing. It doesn't require development. It's an instant made villain. The return doesn't require character growth. It doesn't require redemption.

It would play out the way most brainwashing stories do, sort of the way Manchurian Candidate plays out, like a mystery. You reveal that the brainwashing exists through hints. You have the heroes notice. Then you unravel it. You find out who did it and how. Then the heroes work to break it. The spell is broken, and Ben Solo emerges.

Finn is a separate issue, but a brainwashed stormtrooper can easily be worked into the same story.

I think it's all very easy, very mechanical. Don't think it would have been very satisfying, it doesn't really belong in the Saga, it doesn't fit the style, the story, or the themes (the PT clones could be called back), but it would be easy to make work for what it is. It's so easy you could write it from a template.

It would have been the easiest set up for dark Solo, because it's not really a dark Solo, it's just brainwashing. Brainwashing doesn't have to be explained at all from a personality or character standpoint, because it's literally not the person, the person is being controlled externally, the person is under a magic spell.

11. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    It would need a completely different trilogy structure, where saving Ben has to be done well before the final act of the third movie, so that real Ben, in a sense, goes after those who brainwashed him. It wouldn't be a redemption angle, because Kylo doesn't have agency. but more so that his real self overcoming the programming, and then vowing to make up for the things he did while brainwashed (because, as a good person, he still feels guilt, and even possible looming shadowing thoughts that may never quite go away)

EP 7: We're introduced to the concept of brainwashing by the FO. Finn defects and breaks the programming foreshadowing that it can be done. Han and Leia know their boy is still out there and needs to be saved. They're convinced he's brainwashed just like the rest of the troopers. (who they know are former kidnapped kids. They want to save them too, even though they are firing on them.)

EP8: Set months later. Luke is in exile. He tried to get through to Ben but nothing worked. He feels nothing will the brainwashing. Whatever dark side source is doing is far stronger than anything he's met before (No Palpatine. Something worse is out there. Maybe even controlling Snoke too) Rey offers Kylo a way out. His interactions with her from the past 2 movies changes something. His programming tells him to kill her, but can't. The programming breaks and he joins her. Suddenly Ben is there, as if waking up from a deep sleep, but was aware of everything he did for the past 6 years. He feels immense guilt.

EP 9: Ben and Rey complete training under Luke, and go to confront the FO/Dark side source. Hell, maybe even throw in Finn as force trained, and get a real new class of Jedi by end of movie.

12. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I agree that the idea puts limitations on the story.

However, since we’re already doing some rampant speculation here, I’d add that I can speculate a way it could fit the universe more, provide a more genuine “dark Solo,” and been more than just a magic spell - and that it could be tied to Finn and the stormtroopers a bit more thematically.

Basically… acknowledge that even in-universe, it’s not a true “spell,” and that there’s no way to actually “program” a person through brainwashing… but there *are* ways to condition them, and that if you ramp that up enough, you might cause out-of-control madness.

Think less “Bucky has been reprogrammed into the Winter Soldier by Hydra” and more “Joker has driven Harvey Dent into the madness of Two-Face.”

Finn and the other Stormtroopers could be an example of “maximum efficacy brainwashing” - conditioned with propaganda and training, but still given enough autonomy and sanity that it increases their combat effectiveness, with the caveat that the same autonomy and sanity might lead to an increase in the chance of insubordination or defection (as implied by Greg Rucka’s take on Finn’s training in Before the Awakening).

Kylo could then be the step beyond “maximum efficacy brainwashing” - hit harder with illusions and mental attacks to the point where he’s genuinely delusional, dangerously unstable, and ultimately just as uncontrollable as a Stormtrooper *could* be… but in a far more violent, impulsive, and malevolent state. This could even be referenced by Finn as being a type of reconditioning some Stormtroopers go through if they fail their masters, becoming mad vanguard shock troops who are sometimes known to frag their own officers. This is how you could have Kylo kill Snoke, the person doing the brainwashing, but still remain violent and a darksider, like he’s gone rabid.

“Driven to madness” has a different aspect than “brainwashed and programmed” - and if, say, someone tried it on Finn or Rey and they managed to come out of the other end still rational, if traumatized, then the point could just be that poor Ben wasn’t as strong as his parents as his tragic flaw.

It would also provide a different reaction to Ben being free of his madness - because he’d have no idea who he is or even what’s real for a while, beyond a gut wrenching horror at what was done to him and what he did to others, and memories of choosing to do those things… prime real estate for sequel material.

Def Trooper and CT-867-5309 like this.
  13. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Or have Ben Solo *possessed* by Palpatine or other...

godisawesome likes this.
  14. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    I think a lot of issues with the ST could have been solved with something that was staring Abrams in the face. Have Ben Solo kidnapped by the First Order as a child. Han & Leia break up as they both blame themselves and have spent years looking for him. Kylo now has an internal struggle that makes more sense. JJ could even have his mystery box by Rey discovering Kylo is Ben Solo. Luke goes in exile because he can not kill his nephew. Rian now gets to keep faking out the audience after Kylo kills Snoke but still chooses to go dark side. Finally in episode 9 after Ben Solo returns the kidnapped stormtroopers could en masse revolt against the First Order.

15. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    I also think this would have provided a nice way to bring in Rey Skywalker and tie the whole ST together much better. It does make sense that the Skywalker kids would be targeted by dark forces. Maybe Ben (before he is descended into total madness) takes Rey and hides her in order to protect his cousin (or sister) from the mental torment he is dealing with as a Skywalker descendant. That conflict would create a much more interesting journey for both Kylo and Rey. You then could have restored Ben in 9, and that creates juicy conflict with Poe and Finn too.

godisawesome and HevyDevy like this.
  16. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    In general, the concept of darksiders trying to "pull a Yoda and Obi-Wan" by raising Leia's kid to sic on the OT3 like Yoda and Kenobi did with Luke.

It's just that idea never really got focused on the way it should have.

CT-867-5309 and alwayslurking like this.
  17. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    What I still find amazing is almost any fan or fan group who's thought about it can come up with a better story than the one given.

What I still find amazing is NO ONE sat there and said "y'know, it might be a good idea to not make the only child of the beloved OT humans into a villain that murders/wrecks their lives."

Or was it like that cartoon of the meeting where the person who says that is thrown out the window?

18. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    I don't know if I need that. I'm of the opinion, that any normal human on their own can choose to do evil, so I think Kylo can do that without kidnapping as a child. I just think the character still has to have reasons, and motives and goals for why he does it, to me.

In a redo of TLJ (after TFA, as is) I was piecing together, the pitch had a Kylo who'd grown up surrounded by a legacy of importance and power in his family, and thought that that legacy would be his one day. The promise of the power of the force he could have as a Skywalker was something he coveted. But as he trained with Luke, he struggled with training to achieve that, over the years seeing others surpass him, him becoming more frustrated and embittered at it.

In spite of Luke trying to explain to him that each individual is different, and has their own proficiency with the force (Kylo's being his ability to use the force to reach out easily to the thoughts and emotions of others), Kylo only allowed himself to feel more angered at that, at his personal skill being so passive, something that could never fulfill his ego of the idea of what he wanted to be, the legacy he was obsessed with in the power of a Skywalker.

To prove he was better than the others, Kylo sought out dark side teachings and trained himself in them, becoming more and more driven by his anger and ego, in the dark side, through his mental reaching out, he found Snoke, who encouraged this and taught him ways to increase his power, Kylo furthering his obsession with his bloodline and the desire for power he felt within it, within Darth Vader, idolizing that power that he held, that he felt Anakin lost to his weakness.

Kylo began to see his weakness as he thinks Anakin's was: His family, seeing Han Solo, that part of his bloodline as being the cause of his weakness in the force. In one of the variations of this pitch, Luke would still find him sleeping and sense his dark side, after feeling it in his training, and consider murdering him in his sleep (though not pull out his weapon), to prevent further pain, for the galaxy, for his family, for even Kylo. Kylo senses this thought and attacks Luke in anger at, to Kylo, offense that Luke would do that, seeing it as Luke being jealous of his growing power.

Going forward Luke still struggles with the guilt of what he sees as his fault and not wanting to face that he may have to kill his nephew or at least his nephew die, and finding himself disconnected from the force after the jedi academy destruction, thinking he was being punished by the force for what he did. In this variation of the pitch, Luke's flaw here is that after the death of Vader, Luke saw it his responsibility to fix his dad's mistakes, the burden of the legacy of Darth Vader weighed on him. He became more militarized, more focused on stopping everything he felt was on him, finishing the imperial remnants and such. He trained his students in kind, to be driven, to be ready, essentially preparing them for war when there wasn't one. Luke has to let this go, to truly forgive his dad and move forward instead of trying to fix the past.

Though that is a more villainously driven story, one of power and ego for Kylo, not quite as sympathetic as Lucasfilm may have wanted. In another pitch I posted here once, there's a more sympathetic structure for Kylo in TLJ, that places him more as an extremist jedi. And there's other variations that starts with TFA and has a much more driven by seemingly heroic goals Kylo, even with abusing of power.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
  19. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    This is what it should have been, yes. We're just proposing alternatives based on the factual premise that JJ and RJ were incapable of a story like the one you describe.

dinnertime and PendragonM like this.
  20. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Probably a bigger underlying problem is that Disney wanted Kylo as both the villain and the hero of the sequels, and at the same time to boot. Not even as a villain protagonist or from villain to hero but rather they made everyone else failures (especially Luke) so that Kylo would look better, and have Rey waiting for him as as a big part of her scenes during TLJ and TRoS, as if he's that important.

Yet we never see any decent qualities from Kylo, no standards, just cruelty and stupidity, nothing to even hint he might come around, or that he could turn the war around (and that's probably part of why they brought back Palpatine since Kylo was a bad joke of a villain but neither was he pitiful in any way). He says he's better than the past, but given what we actually see on screne, yeah, no.

They didn't want to bother trying to come up with motives or backstory to explain how we got to the Kylo we saw in the sequels, as the Vader (wannabe) and with Skywalker blood and as Han and Leia's son, he's just the center of things and that's supposedly it. Which is why they just went with Leia doing something magical (with the strain killing her) and poof, Kylo turns nice.

They wouldn't even leave him alive so other better writers could try to use his character better in hypothetical post-sequel stories, maybe some guilt or more attempts at atonement, he got to have a "heroic" death to save Rey.

21. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Yes I think that's a far better option than what's presented in the ST. Like the classic John Ford film The Searchers, they could have had the Jedi temple being sacked and Ben being kidnapped right at the start of Episode VII, and then a combination of Luke, Leia and Han go searching for him and uncover the new villains/threat etc. Or they could have jumped into the middle of that story and have Luke, Leia and Han find Ben at the end of the first film, and the next 2 films deal with the aftermath of Ben being brainwashed etc. Far more compelling than the ST as it stands.

22. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Agreed. It's always a problem when a story confuses you instead as opposed to intrigues you. Some movies and novels will leave the viewer/reader with questions that make the work profound. But TLJ didn't do that. It was a train wreck instead of a nuclear explosion.

23. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    TLJ doesn't seem to think "Why'd he go bad?" is really a question worth asking - even in its inciting event during the Hut Incident, the entire idea is that Ben's already dark "enough" to trigger Luke, and TLJ really doesn't treat that as being something intriguing to anyone, let alone Rey, the ostensible POV character.

24. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Well since Ben was still with Luke and just sleeping. It would seem like Ben had not made any decision about anything. If Ben had not fully commited to the dark side, while Snoke filling his head with so much doubt. As palpatine once did to anakin. And then he wakes up to see Luke about to kill him. That might be the tipping point.

And Yoda warned anakin about sensing the future. Lucas was getting at the idea of how acting on these events can have consiquences. Lucas was never straight forward with these abilities.

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
  25. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    This is how I saw it in 2017, but Luke had already experienced his dark side trials in ROTJ and conquered them. He wouldn’t fail like this. The implication in ROTJ is stated- “I’ll never turn to the dark side.”

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022