main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    The Jedi are fully capable of refusing to serve as soldiers. I'm sure there would be consequences, but it's their choice to go along with using an army of slaves. I know why they do it, but it is their choice. They're not machines. They have minds of their own.
    This is a complex issue and it's understandable that the Jedi choose to take charge of the war against the Separatists in order to protect democracy. It's understandable that they accept the clone army when they're under so much pressure to act quickly. Especially since they know that the Sith are watching; that the dark side is growing stronger while their own influence is weakening.

It's all understandable. But it's not the Jedi way. They stray from the path by acting out of fear. Everything they do from then on will play into the Sith Lord's hands because he's lured them onto a path that spirals inexorably downwards, into darkness.

Again, totally understandable. And again, it's their choice. A choice that was expected of them but that no one could actually force them to make. "Our boss told us to" is not a valid excuse for reprehensible actions.

2. Lowly Gungan

Lowly Gungan Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 11, 2022
    Fair enough—but again, I think the folly of the Jedi Order was a major theme of the Prequel Trilogy, leading to the ultimate demise.

Sarge and Lulu Mars like this.
  3. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Indeed it is.

Lowly Gungan likes this.
  4. Force Nexus

Force Nexus Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 22, 2022
    Any work on the field the Jedi had prior to that was nothing compared to a literal full scale war. But I'm glad we agree on that: the Jedi are no strangers to dangerous situations. Although you seem to trivialize war as if it's another routine field operation. And you ignored my post entirely about the Jedi's service to the Senate. But it's ok. It's a tricky question!
    Have you?
    I have never said Palpatine did not create the clone army. He did, ten years before AotC.
    In AotC, Palpatine authorized the creation of the clone army legally with his first act after he was granted the emergency powers after Jar-Jar's absolutely stunning speech. Dellow Felagates! But there wasn't a scene where Palpatine ordered an attack on Geonosis, was there? For all means, correct me if I am wrong. It was the Jedi's initiative. Bail Organa explicitly said, "Unfortunately, the debate is not over. The Senate will never approve the use of clones before the Separatists attack." Well, they approved it anyway, because Jar-Jar was that charming and his arguments were so convincing. Even though Bail was the only one smart enough to recognize that the Separatists hadn't attacked yet, and the Republic with the Jedi would be seen as aggressors in this scenario.
    Yoda was the one who used the clone army.
    — It is done, then.
    — Hmm.
    — I will take what Jedi we have left and go to Geonosis and help Obi-Wan.
    — Visit I will the cloners on Kamino, and see this army they have created for the Republic.

The next time we see Yoda, he's doing Attack of the Clones. If the narrative wanted us to think the Jedi were so reluctant and unwilling about this, don't you think a scene or two of them having a debate on this matter, or taking an order from Palpatine to attack Geonosis, would have been helpful? You know, to clearly define where everyone stands. Wait, that didn't happen. Mace said that they will "take care of Dooku" and Yoda vouched to go see the army. Or is this not what happened? I guess the Senate told them to.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I’m not big on blaming the Jedi for Palpatine slaughtering them.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  6. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I loath Prequel Jedi. The Jedi are best in The Ancient Days (Darkhorse Tales of the Jedi), Old Republic, and New Jedi Order eras.

7. Force Nexus

Force Nexus Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 22, 2022
    I don't think anyone blamed the Jedi for Palpatine slaughtering them. But it's not like the Jedi are free from any and all responsibility for their own actions and lack of foresight. I don't think it's okay to say the Jedi are an unquestionable paragon of virtue and 100% free of blame, when they unquestionably serve the state that employs slaves bred for war, because the citizens of the state can't be bothered to protect themselves, because they are so corrupt and selfish. It's not like the state didn't clearly recognize these human beings, clones, as subhumans, property, that is expendable. And the Jedi go along with it, even though they treat clones as people, they go along with this terrible state, and they deem it worth saving for whatever reason. All they could do was go "Hmmm...." Stand there and watch. The Jedi's central philosophy is letting go and no attachment, yet they are morbidly attached and can't let go of that sick, decaying state, that is beyond saving, the state that couldn't be bothered to save itself, that willingly gave away democracy and all the power to Palpatine. It took the death of all the Jedi and formation of the Empire for people to organize and save themselves. Sure, not without Luke's help, but he wasn't really a Jedi in A New Hope, and when he began learning the ways of the Force, he often parted ways with his Rebellion friends, and his quest in Return of the Jedi was almost detached and unrelated to most of the stuff happening in regards to the Empire versus Rebels, Luke was fighting for his father's soul in the Throne Room.
    I think it's telling that in The Phantom Menace, Gungans and Naboo united and stopped the Trade Federation by themselves. The Republic did not help them. The Jedi kind of did, but they did not fight a war for them. They were bothered with Darth Maul. Symbiotic relationships, what happens to one of you will affect the other.

Sarge likes this.
  8. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Unpopular opinion: despite its flaws, The Clone Wars is by far the best canon SW series.

Lulu Mars and darkspine10 like this.
  9. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Unpopular Opinion, Mace Windu was miscasted. I’d have preffered someone more like Idris Elba.

Sarge likes this.
  10. Lowly Gungan

Aug 11, 2022
    Is that unpopular?
    Samuel L. Jackson seemed to do pretty well at being a grim, suspicious guy.

11. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Problem is Jackson was in so many movies with him throwing down F bombs, I had hard time accepting him as a reserved Jedi Master.

I had the same problem with Hugo Weaving transitioning from The Matrix Trilogy to the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

Sarge likes this.
  12. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I wish TCW had had more oddball character teamups like Mace Windu and Jar Jar, or the one where Anakin and Obi-Wan are tied up to Dooku. So many wasted opportunities.

Lulu Mars and Count Yubnub like this.
  13. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    I honestly don't know, many people seem to be proclaiming The Mandalorian or Andor to be the best series. I haven't even been enjoying the latter.

But at least it had some of those oddball episodes. Speaking of oddball character teamups and TCW dropping the ball, one major missed opportunity that comes to mind is putting Dooku and Tarkin in the same episode. I mean, come on -- throw in some references to those Hammer films that Lee and Cushing made together and the episode practically writes itself.[/QUOTE]

Sarge and Lulu Mars like this.
  14. Lowly Gungan

Aug 11, 2022
    I mean, I see no reason why the same actor cannot play a variety of characters.

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The Council trusted him in AOTC to place him on his first assignment alone. They trusted him to be a Knight. So it makes sense to trust him with a Padawan. The trust is fractured with his actions in the Council chambers in ROTS.

She doesn't have to be mentioned in ROTS to matter. That’s being pedantic.

Between 13 and 14 is the typical age. In Legends EU, Obi-Wan was one month from his birthday when he and Qui-Gon teamed up for the first time. Luke okayed Jacen, Jaina, Lowbacca and Tenel Ka going into their first official battle a few weeks before turning 15, but were already doing things before then.

Too expensive.

16. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Your right on principle, but for me it took me out of the movie due to the other roles sticking to he actors. Its how typecasting happens.

Sarge likes this.
  17. Lowly Gungan

Aug 11, 2022
    Maybe. He seemed quite similar to Nick Fury in temperament, which is the one other thing I knew him from.

Sam Jackson's pretty expensive.

18. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    The thing with SLJ is that he was still virtually unknown to the target audience when he was cast as Mace. GL knew that he was already quite famous for other roles, but he also knew that most 12-year-olds hadn't seen him before.
    I think he was a solid choice. And Mace Windu became a Star Wars icon in his own right.

Riv_Shiel and Count Yubnub like this.
  19. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Elba would've been in his late 20s at the time. He'd have been too young.

What about Jurassic Park? Many 12-year-olds would've seen that on video at the time, at least many of the ones interested in seeing TPM.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  20. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    True. Still, Ray Arnold looks very different from Mace, with the hair, moustache and glasses. His personality and role in the story are quite different, as well. He's got a different air about him.
    But most importantly, the closest he gets to swearing is when he says "Hold on to your butts" ;)

21. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I'm not trivializing war at all. And feel free to create a thread if you want to discuss your argument further.

No, that's not what I'm talking about. He created the army of the Republic in AOTC, as Supreme Chancellor. That's why he was granted emergency powers to begin with. To do just that, and fast enough to try to counter the separatists before it's too late. It's what the movie is about.

Opening crawl: Senator Amidala, the former Queen of Naboo, is returning to the Galactic Senate to vote on the critical issue of creating an Army of the Republic to assist the overwhelmed Jedi...

Palpatine: As my first act with this new authority, I will create a Grand Army of the Republic to counter the increasing threats of the separatists.

22. Lowly Gungan

Aug 11, 2022
    Unpopular opinion: A New Hope is kind of on the mediocre side of the saga.

23. I understand why some people dont remember the Jedi 20 years looks little time but they are so many years the world was different in 2002 compared to 2022

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2022
  24. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I said someone like Edris Elba.

Dandelo likes this.
  25. Lowly Gungan

Aug 11, 2022
    That is not what I meant. I just found all the characters to seem somewhat stiff and emotionless in Episode 4, particularly Luke when his aunt and uncle died and Leia when her planet exploded.

Also, did it ever say people don't remember the Jedi? I know Han doesn't believe in the Force, but I think that is different. Luke had never seen a lightsaber, but the Jedi rarely had business on Tatooine.