main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The future of FanForce

Discussion in 'FanForce Communications' started by Obi Anne , Sep 13, 2022.

1. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    That was what disappeared when the fan force died and the 501st/RL took over. I met so many wonderful people who were fans but didn't costume, some gamed, some read the books, some just loved it all, but the 501st/RL made it exclusive and had social events that these 'non costume' people (me included) were not part of. :( I found that unless you have enough $$ or are the right 'shape', you can't make the grade for those groups for all the good they do. How many old over weight ladies are there in SW? And no I will not be a slave dancer with 6 breasts......... :p

Dandelo likes this.
  2. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    wow, that's not right at all, I hate exclusivity like that, shame on the 501st people.

I'd hate to think Fan Force got a bad reputation because of stuff like that.

3. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    It just kinda happened, and there were a few 'lies' about a member circulating.........and we all know how well the roots of that tree can spread. In the span of 6 months the FF was ripped apart by ONE person spreading lies. It took one of the 'neutral' people dying (cancer at 34) to bring apologies around when many realised the truth.

How do I know this? I was the victim of the lies, and I know who told them. Apparently I lied about having breast cancer for attention (despite this persons life partner visiting me in hospital after the surgery!) and that I also lied about having MS as it'd been 18 months and I had not died, cause MS kills you, apparently. Ignorance MUST be bliss as this person spread their lies. sigh. Couple months before the neutral members death, I got a call on a Saturday night, another member apologizing for believing the lies. Then at the funeral of this person several not only apologized but hugged me, but this ONE person who did it all just stood there glaring at me like I was in the wrong still. Never understand that kind of venom.

But I learned from that, and sadly still struggle with trust issues and friends. Very small circle of true friends now.

4. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014

oh wow...just wow.

Thank you for telling us this.

This definitely shouldn't happen,
    can I ask did an RSA get involved in the situation?

Adalia-Durron likes this.
  5. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I was the RSA.............water on this ducks back now.

Dandelo likes this.
  6. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    That is something that never should happen! Thanks for your trust to tell it in public, Adalia! [:D]

Whenever people come together, there will be disharmony at one point, since we all are different characters. Although I always had the feeling that FF is mainly very easy, it happens. But things like that what you, Adalia, gone through never shall happen!

In my view the big advantage of FF was always the emphasis of “just be a fan - no matter how much or what you enjoy the most - and post here to be part of FF”.

Ideas/Brain Storming ideas:
    - bringing JC/FF closer together
    - WNU-info-thread about FF
    - motivating CR's to post more at JC
    - FF rules are truncated
    - making sure that new people get a reply when asking for joining
    - make joining a FF meeting far more easier
    - adding FFC/FF to the same section as JCC
    - moving all FF chapters to FFC (each chapter has one thread in FFC)
    - leading newbies in WNU to their FF more often
    - finding a good way to help potential new members to find their local FF and finding out if it's still active
    - greater emphasis on socialization
    -
    -

Last edited: Oct 7, 2022
    Darth Gangrenous likes this.
  7. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    My local Fanforce went Facebook only, I am not on facebook so that ended that.
    I was a member of the 501st but resigned for personal reasons, I am still a member of the Rebel Legion but have resigned all leadership positions.

I just do my own thing now.
    @Porkins on twitter
    @Porkins-Red_6 on Instagram

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
  8. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I think that FanForces suffered after ROTS because once there were supposedly no more Star Wars movies there wasn't enough to keep a lot of the members around after maybe 2007 (which is pretty much when FFUK started drying up).

Without big events like the Star Wars marathon or regular movies to attend, it became more difficult.
    Plus the reap life stuff, full time work & family & education etc made other things a priority instead of the forums.

What's weird is that there are comic-cons in the UK many times a year, easy enough to meet up there if enough people were interested but nobody has ever really suggested it.

I do think social media is important if we want to further the idea of FanForce.
    We did have a general Facebook page & at one point there were pages for the different groups, but those are either gone or nobody posts there anymore.
    Maybe bringing those back/restarting them is a good way for those that drifted away to be encouraged to return

Skiara likes this.
  9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I think Facebook did for quite a few of the FF groups - the ones that are still around use that for arranging meetups, etc. And Covid didn't help either.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
  10. JediXXL

Apr 11, 2003
    Facebook is a virus

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Amen to that. Most social media is.

12. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    It's been like that since the early days. It felt like a natural extension since the early grassroots effort spawned from the JC community and threads devoted to meeting up. We had TPM to look forward to and the first SW Celebration in Denver. FF carved out some space in the forums and shared resources, but it still felt like sleeping on a friend's couch...

Nevertheless, TPM was a great catalyst for bringing people together and creating regions, groups, and volunteers. As others have mentioned here, Social Media wasn't really a thing at that time, so FF was the place to be. Early days saw meet-ups at Celebrations, Comic/Sci-Fi Cons, and other local events. Some even held fundraisers as a way to meet others and help the community.

I moved to another state in the early days of FF but still made it back home to see the new movie releases with my local group. Still text some of them about SW stuff to this day. Mixed feelings on Mandolorian S3:E1...oh wait, this is FF, have to discuss that in JC forums (sarcasm - but that's kinda how it was back in the day).

I love seeing some of the OG's hanging around here - just awesome! Going on 23+ years since FF started, that's saying something. There are just so many ways to connect these days, altho I'd argue there's not much 'social' about social media, that it's a challenge to reach and retain folks on this platform.

13. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    The more I think about „social media isn’t social” the more I have to agree. Sad that is.

In addition, it seems that everybody has more more less time - and this forum needs time to read, to get involved, to enjoy the fun! Find the mistake…

14. JediXXL

Apr 11, 2003
    I've kinda' moved on...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Who? Walter Peck? No, we don't want any!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He's right behind me, isn't he? Is he making the face?
    [​IMG]
    The problem is the "Official" (or so they say) Ghostbusters around here are not worth my time, so I'm a lone wolf contractor from the home office... You have to wonder when there are multiple groups in the same fandom in any city. [face_rofl] [face_skull]

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using a hacked pirate satellite in a decaying orbit

Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
  15. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Very good costume, @JediXXL!
    (Just maybe a bit less pics next time, since it’s off topic, please. :) )

You mean, that there are too many FF groups or too many various SW fangroups that lead to the current situation here?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
  16. JediXXL

Apr 11, 2003
    Multiple groups of the same fandom. One good and the other not so good. To the end that people left and formed another whole group to get away from the original group.

I met the Ghostbuster gatekeepers in my local city. :eek:
    They say they are the "only Official" Ghostbusters group in Buffalo, There is another group I have met and they are far more friendly and welcoming. I think I'm going to hang with them because I got some serious bad vibes from the other ones! I have left other groups for just this type of elitist behavior. No one owns a fandom and the only Gatekeeper I recognize is Sigourney Weaver from Ghostbusters!

I was also told I was not a candidate for membership in their group because some of their members had a problem with another costume I do, Mexicans In Black. They didn't want me coming anywhere near them because they were afraid people would think I was part of their group. LOL Really? Talk about arrogance, eh? I did the Ghostbuster costume because I wanted to, not for them, and nopt to join their boy band. I'm a proud Mexican/American. The creator is Mexican and all the people who do it are Mexican. The people who had the problem with it were not Mexican. I'm still trying to figure out what I did wrong. I also do regular MIB. This was a side joke we ran with. [​IMG]
    .I advised my artist friend about what was said to me and he immediately creeated the following patch:[​IMG]
    It was not hard to guess what we did next... I cannot wait to see them at a local convention! I even made a chrome Proton Pack wand.
    [​IMG]
    .[​IMG]
    I refuse to let someone tell me how I can celebrate my heritage!
    That is why I will never join another group. I'm still a member of The Rebel Legion but I quit the 501st.

Last edited: May 18, 2023
  17. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Thanks for all your input and view, @JediXXL !

Being welcoming and open to all SW fans is the basis of FanForce. There’s a saying: SW brought us together, friendship keeps us together. In my view it sums up everything.

But what do you want to express/suggest for FF with your post above? That’s what I don’t get clearly.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
  18. JediXXL

Apr 11, 2003
    Unfortunately I think the time for fan groups has come and gone.
    My thoughts are, Groups start out good but the wrong people rise to positions of authority and ruin something that was once good.
    I wish I had a solution, but I know people older than me that have seen this happen eventually in multiple fandoms.

Do what you like and have fun doing it, if you're lucky you'll find others who do the same without judgement or derision.

Never push a good person to the point they just don't care anymore.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using a hacked pirate satellite in a decaying orbit

Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
    LLL and Skiara like this.
  19. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    There's some truth in your words, @JediXXL.

JediXXL likes this.