main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Willow - Sequel Series Premieres November 30, 2022

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Krueger, May 13, 2018.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I watched the movie for the first time. It was fun, very good for an '80's fantasy film, and that LFL and ILM work certainly paid off in making it look great. Warwick and Kilmer were just great, as was Jean Marsh. I don't know if I'll watch the whole series, but I'll at least give the first episode a shot.

2. XxXSpace_KarenXxX

XxXSpace_KarenXxX Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2022
    The original Willow film seemed like lucasfilms answer to Tolkien's hobbits.

But I have a feeling modern day writers won't understand the message or source material of the original content.

If so, it won't have much going for it aside from brand name recognition.

3. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Why wouldn't they?
    That just seems like a random assumption based on absolutely nothing.

You also realize that Ron Howard - who directed the movie - is on board as executive producer, and that Bob Dolman - who wrote the script of the movie - also wrote episodes of this show and also has the role of supervising producer, yes?
    Maybe check first who is actually working on a project before you try and judge their "understanding" of the source material...

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I honestly think D+ greenlit this just to have their own fantasy series and LFL already had one in the bag with some sequel development ready to go.

Anyway as I said awhile ago, Warwick Davis can be legit hilarious and while there's some funny stuff from him in Willow I hope they know to lean into that for the series. He looked kinda serious in the trailer though.

Anyway bonus for the LFL content D+ train from Andor to Willow with only a week in between!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
  5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Honestly, I liked that "meet the actors" clip more than the trailer.

6. Lomer2012

Lomer2012 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2016
    I wonder what Lucasfilm expectations are in respect of viewing number for the Willow series. This is no Star Wars nor Indiana Jones. The original film has some cult following but nothing huge. I think that for them the series is a low-budget fantasy project which is designed to draw some moderate viewership (probably not much higher than Bad Batch).

Sarge likes this.
  7. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Yeah, I wonder the same, too.
    I think that this series will also probably be unjustly compared to the recent Lord of the Rings show and House of Dragon.

Lomer2012 likes this.
  8. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I don't think it's unfair to compare it to LotR and HoD, as they are competing for the same streaming space: live action, vfx-heavy, medieval fantasy. As a LotR and GOT fan who was disappointed by both House of Dragon and Rings of Power, I'm hopeful that Willow can do better.

One think it definitely has going for it imo, since it's not an adaptation it doesn't have the big expectations to overcome as its competitors. If it can at least find the spirit of the original, that'll probably be enough.

GunganSlayer likes this.
  9. Lomer2012

Lomer2012 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2016
    You can compare them only in general terms because technically all of them are fantasy. However, Willow's budget is probably 1/10 of that of the Rings of Power. Also, it is definitely aimed at (much) younger audience. And it does not have guaranteed viewership that comes from established franchise. So, it is unreasonable to expect that it will be even remotely close to HotD's or RoP's numbers or maturity.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
  10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    New trailer!

Ahsoka's Tano, Sarge and BlackRanger like this.
  11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    This trailer looks more fun than the previous one.

12. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Willow was a staple in our house hold along with Star Wars and Indiana Jones growing up. I'm very excited to see it continue. The above trailer looks and feels like that world however, the humour and especially the music seem off.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
  13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

Love this origin story for the sequel tv show of a cult classic movie. I just recently watched it and was fun. Felt little like LOTR. You got the Han Solo type character.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  14. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I don’t have a good feeling about this. Original director Jon Chu dropped out of the project and I don’t really buy his excuse for leaving. His replacement was also fired, a lead role was recast which led to major reshoots.

Also, the best parts of Willow were Val Kilmer and General Kael, both of which will not be in this show.

Sarge likes this.
  15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  16. Cos Palpatine

Cos Palpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2022
    So I just re-watched Willow for the first time in about 30 years. It blows my mind to think of that. I never realized as a kid how charmingly derivative this cult classic is. Also, since I was only 10 or 11 when I last saw it I had forgotten much so the re-watch brought back a flood of childhood memories which was fun. Looking forward to this series and am going in cold...I've managed to avoid watching any of the trailers or spots, something I try but can't seem to do with SW shows ;)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I forgot this was tomorrow

18. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Posted this in the JCC Willow thread, and thought I'd share it here as well:

Aw man, this show is off to a rough start. Rewatched the movie last night, and it's so much fun. Just a great adventure movie.
    These first two episodes though... annoying hipster kids, a Willow that doesn't feel like Willow, annoying hipster kids, cliche YA romance stuff, annoying hipster kids... did I mention annoying hipster kids?

All in all, I wouldn't say that the show is terrible so far or anything, just not good. Some fun ideas, and certainly some mysteries that have potential (especially one, see spoiler tag below), but it's missing the -- well -- magic of the movie. It seems like they didn't even try to replicate the feel of the film.
    It is interesting how they seem to be making the disappearance of Madmartigan one of the central mysteries of the show. I honestly thought they'd just kill him off screen.

Also, those ****ing songs at the end of the episodes. Ugh!

19. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    Modern music should not imo be in these kind of fantasy shows it doesn’t work. So you would recommend watching the movie first ?

Sarge likes this.
  20. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'd always recommend watching the movie. The movie is great. And this picks up the story of the film, so it's a good idea to have it fresh in mind, but even if you don't, they do a good job of catching you up.

21. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    This was so damn delightful. The core group all has their place and Boorman steals every scene

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Like so many things, it was better than I feared it would be, but not so good as I'd hoped. After 12 episodes of Andor, the writing is a big letdown.

23. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    So do you think it’s fine to watch this without watching the movie

24. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I really enjoyed the first two episodes even if the first episode was introducing the characters and started slow. I did think the show captures the movie and the music at the end doesn't bother me I actually think it's cool reminds me of the Rolling Stones in Netflix's Wednesday! And Wednesday is an awesome show I highly recommend it! Anyone know who the writers of the first two episodes was? I'm guessing Bryce Dallas Howard wrote some episodes she wrote great star wars episodes. And is Ron Howard an executive producer? I can't believe we are already getting complaints about the gay relationship I mean we do live in the year 2022 not a big deal.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  25. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Bryce Dallas Howard hasn't written any Star Wars episodes. She directed a few though.
    And this show was written by Jonathan Kasdan.

Count Yubnub likes this.