main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC What are you doing to reduce your Carbon Footprint

Discussion in 'Community' started by Runjedirun, Jan 28, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    This is a thread to share what you are doing to reduce your carbon footprint. Not only to share what you are doing but also pass your efforts on to others. Something I have heard a lot when it comes to climate change is if one of us does some things to do our part it doesn't do much good. But the more of us who work together the bigger impact we can make. So, come list your contributions, no contribution is too small and pass it on. Learn what you can do to help slow down the warming of our planet.

Here's some things I've been doing to reduce my carbon footprint:

• Eat vegetarian
    • Bring my own reusable cup to Starbucks
    • Use a shampoo bar instead of big plastic bottle of liquid shampoo, I also use an old fashioned bar of soap instead of body wash
    • I use reusable containers for all my lunch sides instead of zip lock bags (I used to use so many zip lock bags)
    • Recently bought a big thing of powder Gatorade to mix with water (again the old fashion way) so I won't be buying possibly dozens plastic bottles of Gatorade for my longer workout sessions

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
  2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Pretty much nothing. I haven't given up meat yet and I don't like being cold.

3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Nothing. The idea of (largely proletariat) individuals taking actions like making sacrifices and reducing their standard of living to combat climate change is a fallacious concept meant to keep the focus on the individual and not on corporations or capitalism. The average person is not causing climate change. The rich, the corporations, and capitalism are. No amount of recycling is going to help.

4. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I definitely understand your point of view. However, it's my choice not to sit back and wait for companies and governments to make these changes for me. If I and many others make choices to buy products that don't use as many emissions to make or use than companies might feel the need or want to make more of those products. They will make what sells.
    I also don't feel I've reduced my standard of living. I think and I've heard many scientists and doctors say that eating a plant based diet is good for me, not just the planet. None of the things I listed has made me wake up in the morning and think, UGH I gotta do that today.

Sarge and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  5. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Well said comrade

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    No plastic bags, straws or water bottles—even if they did not affect the environment at all, what they do to the animals is enough for me.

My car is electric. Added bonus on that is I am not enriching the profits of BP or ExxonMobil.

I want solar panels on my house but that has not happened yet.

I keep my heat turned down low but I’m not sure that counts since I blast my A/C during the summer. I don’t like being hot.

Advocate for more climate-friendly policies on the local and state level although they usually fall on deaf ears.

7. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Honestly, nothing.

I worked in the restaurant service industry for several years. Seeing the amount of waste that gets produced on a daily basis just from one mid sized restaurant made me realize how totally pointless individual efforts are to try and conserve and save the environment. And I don't just mean food waste, but all the waste produced from every aspect of running the restaurant. Nothing recycled or separated. Everything just thrown into three dumpsters out back and hauled away each morning. More deliveries and supplies arrive, and the cycle just repeats itself. One restaurant will produce more waste in a single night than entire residential blocks will in a week. And then you realize this is every restaurant everywhere.

It's not like I go out of my way to consume more than I need to or anything like that. But seeing that first hand day in and day out made me completely apathetic to the idea of trying to save the environment.

8. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I’ve tried to fart less. It’s been difficult and kind of painful, but every little bit helps, I guess.

9. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    I'm sorry to say that this is spot on.

I've been an environmental activist for more than 40 years - did an Environmental Science degree - did all kinds of stuff to 'reduce my carbon footprint' but in many ways I've come full circle, and not because I don't care.

I do some things I feel are right for me to do personally, but I no longer kid myself that we are going to fix climate change or other enviromental issues through individual action. The stats simply do not add up to a meaningful difference overall, no matter how you crunch the numbers. Plus I'm tired of some people practically demanding that I change this that or the other in my life to 'save the planet'. My environmental footprint is already minuscule. I was every bit as tedious as those activists for years, and just as passionately misguided. The 'solutions' presented to the individual are largely meaningless, and often have the potential to do more harm than good.

Caring about environmental issues is absolutely fine, and I absolutely do, but as @Lord Vivec says, this won't change the underlying cause, namely capitalism.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Maybe “fight capitalism” should be what we do to help the environment.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Locked at OP request.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.