main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends From Slavery to Aristocracy (OTP Challenge #13)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Mira Grau, Dec 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    From you, that means a lot @Warrior_Goddess - cannot thank you enough for lending me Marie! She is such a pleasure to write.

Kahara and Anedon like this.
  2. Warrior_Goddess

Warrior_Goddess Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2006
    I'll always trust you with her ;) [:D]

Kahara, Adalia-Durron and Anedon like this.
  3. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    [face_blush] Thank you.

Kahara, Warrior_Goddess and Anedon like this.
  4. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    So I've caught up with this story at last, and I really enjoyed it—great work by you both! =D= Wow, between Adrian almost being sold as a slave, the duel, and Marie's poisoning, this has got to be one of the more high-stakes City Mouse/Country Mouse stories I've seen in this challenge—both parties almost pay with their lives for their respective forays into each other's home turf! Just goes to show just how cutthroat both slavery and aristocracy are, but having someone you love by your side can go a long way to (quite literally) helping you stay safe through it all. It's interesting, too, how both Marie and Adrian are at least somewhat critical of the cultures in which they grew up—in a way that makes them particularly good as "ambassadors" for those visiting from outside. All in all, I really enjoyed getting to know them both, along with their very different worlds, and I loved the variety of "supporting" OCs, too, from Chalise to Ilona to the various nobles at the ball to Sunil'na (especially her!). Thanks so much for sharing this rich and vibrant story with the challenge! =D=

(And this was also the perfect match for the 2020 Reading Challenge "fic with two or more authors" prompt—so thanks for that, too! Would love to see further collaborations between you two. :) )

5. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Thank you @Findswoman - your words are so wonderful and make us both humble. [face_blush][face_blush] We enjoy working together and our RL Age differences makes it interesting. We've used these characters in the Dear Diary challenge as well, so their thoughts behind this story are there ;) The challenge looks pretty full on, will have to consider it carefully. :eek:

Kahara, Findswoman and Anedon like this.
  6. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I really like it!

The slow building connection and cross cultural interchange.

Really well done @Anedon and @Adalia-Durron!

7. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
  8. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I came to this thread while looking for a story with two or more authors for the 2023 Reading Challenge and I'm really happy about that, because this was such a fantastic read! You two really made the most of the 'city mouse, country mouse' prompt with these characters, and in the most unexpected way. Plus, the worldbuilding was just amazing, with the contrast between the slave market scene on Dathomir and all its primitive ritualistic undertones on the one hand, and the nest of vipers that is an Eriaduan noblemen's ball with all its political intrigue and its own duelling rituals on the other. I know that @Mira Grau has put a lot of work in developing the culture or Eriadu and that really came through here is spades.

One tiny bit that really stood out to me was how Adrian was thinking of hostage ransoms on his home planet while he was put on auction as a slave; it just encapsulated that contrast perfectly =D=

And of course I squeed out loud at the girl power moment when Garth got his sorry backside handed to him by Marie. Can I say that I love this woman already? [face_love]

You did a great job on this Mira and @Adalia-Durron. I saw that you have several more collaborative works posted, so you can expect to see me in those threads too!

Kahara and Mira Grau like this.
  9. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. Yeah there has quite a lot of stuff come since then, been a long route...

Yeah that moment, if I think about it, it lead to Garth seeking revenge, which lead to Ilona and Ulrika reconciling and the whole conflict with the Iron Alliance... In a way that moment truly shaped the galaxy. ;)

Kahara, Findswoman and Chyntuck like this.