main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full ANH text and picture spoilers up

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by dejarik, Oct 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dejarik

dejarik Jedi Youngling

Sep 5, 2002
    At http://www.gamehorizons.com/anhspoil/, you can see all the new ANH cards, or download the full text spoiler (.doc format)

http://www.geocities.com/rushyoda/ has all the cards with better quality, but the site is currently down because of excess bandwidth usage.

Enjoy :)

2. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Ah good there is a Wedge card, I was worried there might not be one.

Edit: What the hell, there isn't a card for the Falcon.

3. Ocelot_X

Ocelot_X Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2001
    I notice that a lot of those pictures are the same stills Decipher used in SWCCG. Does that mean Lucasfilm only gives out certain stills rather than letting card game designers cull any frame from the film they want? I guess for a lot of the minor characters there was only one good shot of them to begin with, but there were plenty of shots of stormtroopers and they re-used the images from Decipher's Stormtrooper and Set For Stun cards. I would have thought WotC would want their images to look as different from Decipher's as they could.

Another surprise - URoRRuR'R'R is apparently an official name. Who would have guessed.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Another surprise - URoRRuR'R'R is apparently an official name. Who would have guessed.<<

Well, any card name or lore from the Decipher game is official.

5. Ocelot_X

Sep 16, 2001
    >>Well, any card name or lore from the Decipher game is official. <<

Even the ones named after Decipher employees? Hehehe, I can't wait to see WotC make a card named after Juz or Tom. I'd buy singles of those.

6. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Which employee is it named after?

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Even the ones named after Decipher employees?<<

If they made character cards out of those specific character names, then, yeah, if WOTC they'd have to keep the name or give them a generic title (Rebel Lt, for example).

8. Bubba_the_Genius

Bubba_the_Genius Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2002
    I imagine they're just holding on to the Falcon because they're also holding Han and Chewie for the Battle of Yavin expansion. Ah, well.

"URoRRuR'R'R" is, well, a pretty twisted name to give a card character. Can you IMAGINE saying that in a crowded room?

"Ha! I'll play URoRRuR'R'R!"

I, for one, am amused.

Otherwise, I'm well pleased by the set: lots of stuff from the opening scene and from the Battle of Yavin. Lots of pilots and officers. Lots of ground "locations" to spice up the battles...

...and unique cards for Red-5 and Vader's TIE Fighter. :)

9. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    I just got my SW Insider today and have read through about 80 of the 180 cards, and all I can say is WOW. I have thought of so many new tactics now. More on that later when I have time to go into detail.

I still want to know who that employee was at Decipher that they named Uhororororor (or whatever) after. Does anyone know. That is weird.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    skimmed through the Insider article...

Looking beyond the gameplay elements, some comments-

I'm glad they made some EU ships there, like th Carrack and Correllian feeighter variation.

There are two or three images not used in the Decipher game that are quite lovely (Stay Sharp, for example).

I AM, however, dissapointed in WOTC's mistake of providing TIE Fighter pilot designations to the TIE Fighter's themselves. (For example: DS-55-6 should be the name/designation of the pilot of the sixth 55th Squadron, not the ship itself, which would be (let's say, for example, the 55th squadron is called Shadow Squadron) called Shadow-6.) I'd expect their involvement with the RPG would help to avoid inconsistancies like that.

11. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    No, URoRRuR'R'R was not based on any Decipher employee, Baca. :)

I don't know which cards (if any) were based on Decipher employees, but many cards were made using models in costume and digitally placed onto a "Star Wars" background, and oftentimes those "models" would be random Decipher employees -- I think Thrawn's card was one example of this.

One of the first Decipher cards based on a "real" person was "Shawn Valdez", from the Hoth expansion. Shawn was a young player, in his teens, who died from a disease (don't remember which disease, sorry). Decipher decided to honor his memory with a card named after him, and several memorial tournaments were held in his honor. The picture on the card is not of him, just a random character from ESB.

Other cards based on real people that I know of are "General McQuarrie", "Major Marquand", and "Dams Denna", (rearranging the letters "Dan Madsen", former director of the Lucasfilm fan club). Pictures of McQuarrie and Madsen are used in their cards ... I can't tell if a picture of Marquand was used for his card, but I think not.

Two other cards to note are "Talon Karrde" and "Corran Horn". The "models" that posed for those pictures are actually Timothy Zahn and Mike Stackpole respectively, the authors who created those characters in the novels!

That's about all I know, off the top of my head anyway.

Here's some links...

Shawn Valdez
    General McQuarrie
    Major Marquand
    Dams Denna
    Corran Horn
    Talon Karrde

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That is Marquand in his card. ALso, Mirax was a Decipher employee too.

Didn't a kid who died at Columbine get his own card too cause he was a big SW fan?

13. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    Not that I know of...

14. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    Welcome back Artie!

2nd Quest- Well I think the ship name issue may be just like "Obi Wans Starfighter" and "Luke's X-wing" Maybe they are named after the designation/Pilot like those.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> 2nd Quest- Well I think the ship name issue may be just like "Obi Wans Starfighter" and "Luke's X-wing" Maybe they are named after the designation/Pilot like those<<

But we've seen their not. Only the last numeral is shared between them to designate which craft is theirs (ie: DS-61-2 flies Black 2, DS-61-3 flies Black 3, OS-72-2 flies Obsidian 2, etc). Now, if they went with "DS-61-3's TIE Fighter", that would be comparable I suppose, but they didn't.

16. Ocelot_X

Sep 16, 2001
    Just to clarify what I was talking about before: Urororor or whatever was a name made up, as far as I know, by Decipher for a unique Tusken in their A New Hope expansion. They later made up names for other characters which were anagrams of the names of people who either worked for Decipher or were well-known SWCCG players active in the playing community.

Here's all the ones I can think of right now:
    Tanus Spijek = Justin Pakes
    R'kik D'nec, Hero of the Dune Sea = Kendrick Summers (his last name is Summers, right?)
    Lieutenant Sheckil = Tom Lischke
    Captain Bewil = Sandy Wible
    Nysad = Sandy Wible
    Nizuc Bek = Nick Zube (he used to run a site called Colonel Mustachio's Card Reviews - a great site; also wrote some strategy artciles for Decipher)
    Chall Bekan = Chuck Kallenbach
    Warrant Officer Bachenkall = Chuck Kallenbach (not a card, but mentioned as a typical Imperial Helmsman on that card's lore)

There probably were others (especially in the lore of non-unique characters), but that's all I can remember.

17. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    Alaso of note is the name used on the Imperial Commander deck (Daine Jir ) has been referenced to in other Star Wars references.

I mean "Daine Jir" who the heck came up with that?

18. Anakin_Solo73

Anakin_Solo73 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2001
    Shouldn't there be certain characters like Han Solo and Chewbacca in the set? What about Tarkin? The Falcon? The Death Star?

19. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 2002
    they will probally be in the Battle of Yavin set

20. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    Yes. They are supposed to be in BAttle of Yavin set for March release I think.

This set focuses on more Utilities. More stuff for your toolbox. Besides the 3 new mechanics, a lot of the cards add much to the strategy of the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.